Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:35:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Coinapult - send Bitcoin over email or SMS in seconds  (Read 10248 times)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 05:47:41 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 12:29:20 AM by Stephen Gornick

Honestly, I hadn't considered PGP support, because so few people use it. Now that you mention it, though, it might not be too hard to implement. Say:

1. received email address
2. checked for public key associated with it
3. if found, sign the message before sending

I'll look into it a bit more. Right now, though, I don't see any downside to such an arrangement.

The reason a person might use Coinapult is likely because the person isn't technical.  PGP is still mostly only for those who are technical.

Maybe do risk assessment.  Sending amounts over 2 BTC or something like that provides a warning to the sender that warns about the potential risk of loss.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bearbones (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2012, 06:03:30 PM

Honestly, I hadn't considered PGP support, because so few people use it. Now that you mention it, though, it might not be too hard to implement. Say:

I'll look into it a bit more. Right now, though, I don't see any downside to such an arrangement.

The reason I might use Coinapult is likely because the person isn't technical.  PGP is still mostly only for those who are technical.

Maybe do risk assessment.  Sending amounts over 2 BTC or something like that provides a warning to the sender that warns about the potential risk of loss.

I like this idea a lot. I have thought a lot about the security of the system, and think this is a good bit of transparency.

I've modified the email text a bit, to make it more user friendly. Thanks Foxpup for the suggestions!

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 04:37:33 AM

Searching for public keys by email address is not reliable, as some people don't (and in some cases don't want to) have their public key on a keysever. Also, most keyservers don't verify keys, so it's all too easy for someone to upload a bogus key to the keyserver to prevent people from being able to receive their bitcoins (or steal the bitcoins, if they have access to the recipient's email). A better idea is to allow public key files to uploaded or copy/pasted, and/or specified by URL.

Also, I think you mean encrypt the message before sending. Signing it won't achieve anything. Wink

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 08:38:24 AM

Did this myself manually, its a bit of a hassle copying .dat files, but not overly so.

(Compare to going shopping for some present)

This also meant I had complete control of the encryption process and made sure everything was safe.

Coinapult is still great, we need more like that, perhaps a program you could run offline on your computer?

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 05:59:54 PM

After much poking with SPF and DKIM, I realized it is much easier and more trustworthy to allow a third party to send out our emails. As such, I created an Amazon SES account, and am in the process of integrating it. Should be up later today, and resolve the spam filter issue once and for all.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 06:17:16 PM

After much poking with SPF and DKIM, I realized it is much easier and more trustworthy to allow a third party to send out our emails. As such, I created an Amazon SES account, and am in the process of integrating it. Should be up later today, and resolve the spam filter issue once and for all.
SES sounds cool on the surface, but it is complicated to work with. I like http://sendgrid.com/ - although it is meant for bulk mailers and things, you can use it for most any email that you want your servers to send, and they will take care of reputation management and such things. You will need to play with SPF and DKIM when using it, but it is much nicer to live with.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 06:57:09 PM

SPF and DKIM are difficult?

SPF is only an entry in your DNS settings. DKIM is also easy to integrate if you use exim on your server to process the emails. I should also tell you that it won't resolve your inboxing problems.
Only email content and maybe $100k paid anualy to certain companies will resolve your inboxing problems. But only on hotmail and yahoo. In regards to gmail you are SOL...
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 07:34:19 PM

Kind of, yes.
It took me 2 days to configure DKIM + SPF on one server (3 domains). Of course, I am not the best sysadmin, still learning.

Theoretically it is easy, but when it comes to practice, there are A LOT of ways in which it can go wrong, believe me.

bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 08:37:24 PM

SPF is only an entry in your DNS settings. DKIM is also easy to integrate if you use exim on your server to process the emails. I should also tell you that it won't resolve your inboxing problems.
Only email content and maybe $100k paid anualy to certain companies will resolve your inboxing problems. But only on hotmail and yahoo. In regards to gmail you are SOL...

Actually, the issue I've been having with DKIM is a bug in my hosting account. When I submit the DKIM entry into the DNS system they provide, it escapes some characters, rendering it invalid. I'm sure they could fix this if I contacted them, but I found a better solution anyway. Smiley

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:44:47 PM

We were actually thinking of developing something similar, sort of paypal-for-bitcoin. After all this is how paypal got its initial base, back in 2001 or whatever. Not as much for the money, more of a public service, to help the spread of bitcoins.

Since you made the first move, you get the domain bought for this purpose (bitpal.us) free of charge (you will need a namecheap account). Pm me for the push.
Best of luck to you.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

I just got turned on Amazon SES sending, which seems to have resolve the spam issue. Please let me know if any messages from now on get flagged as spam. Thanks!

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 06:05:32 PM

I just got turned on Amazon SES sending, which seems to have resolve the spam issue. Please let me know if any messages from now on get flagged as spam. Thanks!

Tried your service, sent this transaction:
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/4016365/bcb8eae372b9be07f424cf364f033d6827f254a06fc39a07875ad7f8d9b205f7

No email, it's not in my spam folder.  Are you doing manual approval or something?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

http://blockchain.info/tx-index/4016365/bcb8eae372b9be07f424cf364f033d6827f254a06fc39a07875ad7f8d9b205f7

No email, it's not in my spam folder.  Are you doing manual approval or something?

notme, you've been PMed.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 07:35:22 PM

notme, you've been PMed.

thanks for the quick resolution

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:22:50 AM

Might want to put a contact link somewhere on the page, even if it just goes back to here.

Also, could the capacity to auto deposit Catapult Payloads sent to an email address be added, in case it catches on as a form of payment? Might want to consider staggered withdraw and reloadable deposits if you want to integrate on-site wallet functionality, but for your current scope, it looks great.
simplelove

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 07:50:54 PM

anyone tried? reliable? no bicoins lost in the process? then I might give a try.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:11:12 PM

anyone tried? reliable? no bicoins lost in the process? then I might give a try.

Don't need to try to know evoorhees and barebones ventures are as reliable as they can be.
If bitcoins get lost in the process, most likely it won't because because of them. And if it is indeed because of them I have every reason to believe they'll do the right thing Wink

But don't take my word for it. Grin
arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 08:39:48 AM

a very interesting concept, I especially like the API feature.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 01:41:56 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, psy, we always do our best to run an honest, tight ship. Smiley

Some updates:
Added a contact page.
Modified the API to allow direct to Bitcoin address transactions.
Added an optional 4-8 digit pin number to the API.

I could easily allow people to enter a pin number on the home/send page, but I think this might cause too much confusion. The idea of a pin is that it isn't emailed to the user. So, for instance, BitInstant generates a pin and displays it for the user at the time they create their cash to bitcoin order. The pin is not included in the email, so the user is expected to note it and remember for fund retrieval.

What do you folks think? Is there utility in allowing a pin to be entered on the website send form, or will this simply confuse?

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 05:07:12 AM

a confirmation email sent to the from address would also be a nice feature

recipient never received email, no rejection email sent.
Will follow up with site admin tonight.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: