Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:24:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Monero officially dead?  (Read 6461 times)
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:50:35 PM

Worst coin since WC  Tongue
Probably the last alt-coin I'll ever buy too.  I hope the people shilling for it made out ok, because this sucker is tapped out.

I do agree 100% that the shilling was over the top and left a bad taste in people's mouth.

That said - this is STILL the most interesting coin that currently exists I think and isn't an outright scam.  And has honest talent behind it.

that last sentence took me awhile to come to the conclusion of.  But you can look a long time in this hive of villany and not find it.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 09:12:42 PM

Its the death of monero lol , its just a diffucult time lol like Btc got few years ago
To my mind its a good  moment to buy lots of cheap coins .
Menero is a interesing rypto  btw !

There is nothing really which stands out for Monero. There are a lot of loudmouths but that doesn't equal long term success.

I doubt anybody here cares about that. It will keep getting pumped and dumped so the whales will remain happy.
Yes there is, the only legit anonymous coin and the only legit iteration of ring signature tech coupled with a solid ass development team.

What makes it legit? You holding a lot of this doesn't count.

There are lots of decent anonymous coins. Outside this tech, TITAN has been running without any hitch so far.

Answered by othe five months ago:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=707233.msg8007348#msg8007348

Answered incorrectly, you mean.

I don't mind Monero. It was somewhat interesting over the BCX drama but as usual he has done nothing.

There was nothing incorrect about his answer. Stealth addresses don't by themselves provide useful privacy because everything is still traceable. To remove traceability from the blockchain you need more.

TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 11:40:45 AM

Its the death of monero lol , its just a diffucult time lol like Btc got few years ago
To my mind its a good  moment to buy lots of cheap coins .
Menero is a interesing rypto  btw !

There is nothing really which stands out for Monero. There are a lot of loudmouths but that doesn't equal long term success.

I doubt anybody here cares about that. It will keep getting pumped and dumped so the whales will remain happy.
Yes there is, the only legit anonymous coin and the only legit iteration of ring signature tech coupled with a solid ass development team.

There are lots of decent anonymous coins. Outside this tech, TITAN has been running without any hitch so far.

I don't mind Monero. It was somewhat interesting over the BCX drama but as usual he has done nothing.

There was nothing incorrect about his answer. Stealth addresses don't by themselves provide useful privacy because everything is still traceable. To remove traceability from the blockchain you need more.

I have used Bitshares. I created an account, got it registered and use it. Explain to me how you can track it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 12:09:41 PM

To my mind its a good  moment to buy lots of cheap coins .
Menero is a interesing rypto  btw !

I have used Bitshares. I created an account, got it registered and use it. Explain to me how you can track it.

If you send me coins (or vice versa) then I can see where they came from. I can in turn trace those transactions to find other connections. If I am a powerful adversary and I have a large database, I can make many of these connections and infer a lot about where the coins are moving.

Stealth addresses do not inhibit tracing at all. You should really read the cryptonote white paper -- it does a fairly good job of explaining the difference between unlinkability (stealth addresses) and intraceability (mixing) and why both are needed to provide effective privacy (blockchain analysis resistance).

EDIT: see https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.0
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 02:10:13 PM

Worst coin since WC  Tongue
Probably the last alt-coin I'll ever buy too.  I hope the people shilling for it made out ok, because this sucker is tapped out.

I think most, pbb >90% (estimation) of the people who bought into this one are in the red. The 'shills' as you call them as well. Most of the guys who were actively advocating xmr seem to be still around. (the prominent ones at least, newbie accounts shouldn't really count). They aren't as loud as they used to be because there's not much to cheer about from a speculative viewpoint.  I know this doesn't help you financially, but should give you less of grudge, u weren't suckered in or anything.

The obvious sockpuppets (reversed trolls) like moneroman did indeed dissapear. Those guys were just part of a temporary coordinated attack to take some wind out of the sails, which they succesfully did. This actually validates this project in a way, why would they put all this time/effort/money is something they do not fear?

Fundamentals of this coin didn't change to the negative iyam. In fact there's a webwallet now and some other cool feat's coming up (database, gui). Codebased is getting brushed up, dev-team showed a couple of times what they're worth,etc. Also one of the premises for me to buy this coin was the anonymity. That's still the one to beat. Heck, even core btc dev's are seeing potential in this tech. More and more people are realising btc is not the optimal e-cash, just the biggest and most famous (and thus worthy) one. They will go look for another option. I think at this right moment most people will turn to dark, since they're ahead of us feature and marketing wise. From a technical viewpoint monero is superior tho. This isn't the usual betamax vs VHS, or HD vs bluray battle.  We're talking currency, and in currency the good money will drive out the bad. In this particular niche the coin with the best technology will win eventually.

The real battle is still ahead. I think in 2015, once this product is more solid, there will be more marketing, more use(rs), more liquidity etc. And thus resulting in a higher price. So yeah, i'm in the red big time, as are a lot of us, but haven't lost my faith (to the contrary).

Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 02:27:05 PM

Well said Bassica. I only discovered Monero in early June, after looking at BTC and DRK. I have been consistently buying XMR since, and increased my holdings in June, July, September, October, November and December (small sale in August, bought back quickly in September). 2015 will be XMR's big year IMHO.
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 05:08:43 PM

Worst coin since WC  Tongue
Probably the last alt-coin I'll ever buy too.  I hope the people shilling for it made out ok, because this sucker is tapped out.

I think most, pbb >90% (estimation) of the people who bought into this one are in the red. The 'shills' as you call them as well. Most of the guys who were actively advocating xmr seem to be still around. (the prominent ones at least, newbie accounts shouldn't really count). They aren't as loud as they used to be because there's not much to cheer about from a speculative viewpoint.  I know this doesn't help you financially, but should give you less of grudge, u weren't suckered in or anything.

The obvious sockpuppets (reversed trolls) like moneroman did indeed dissapear. Those guys were just part of a temporary coordinated attack to take some wind out of the sails, which they succesfully did. This actually validates this project in a way, why would they put all this time/effort/money is something they do not fear?

Fundamentals of this coin didn't change to the negative iyam. In fact there's a webwallet now and some other cool feat's coming up (database, gui). Codebased is getting brushed up, dev-team showed a couple of times what they're worth,etc. Also one of the premises for me to buy this coin was the anonymity. That's still the one to beat. Heck, even core btc dev's are seeing potential in this tech. More and more people are realising btc is not the optimal e-cash, just the biggest and most famous (and thus worthy) one. They will go look for another option. I think at this right moment most people will turn to dark, since they're ahead of us feature and marketing wise. From a technical viewpoint monero is superior tho. This isn't the usual betamax vs VHS, or HD vs bluray battle.  We're talking currency, and in currency the good money will drive out the bad. In this particular niche the coin with the best technology will win eventually.

The real battle is still ahead. I think in 2015, once this product is more solid, there will be more marketing, more use(rs), more liquidity etc. And thus resulting in a higher price. So yeah, i'm in the red big time, as are a lot of us, but haven't lost my faith (to the contrary).

Its really a no brainer. Xmr just has to maintain itself until Btc blows up again. Once the speculative money flows into crypto again, investors are going to look at the space and see what else is available for value, as long as xmr keeps showing a steady record, it will be it.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 05:19:06 PM

To me it looks like the emission curve is the biggest thing working against an XMR price increase (or sideways move).
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 05:22:35 PM

To me it looks like the emission curve is the biggest thing working against an XMR price increase (or sideways move).

It fine for now. The price being sideways will be good for the mid/longterm future.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 05:24:25 PM

It fine for now. The price being sideways will be good for the mid/longterm future.

The emission curve is preventing sideways movement from what I can tell.
ElTomeko27

Activity: 371

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 07:43:49 PM

It's just a bear market. Not the death of monero. A great opportunity to buy lots of cheap coins.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy sure
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:15:55 PM

It isn't about the high inflation, it is more about the lack of new users (adoption) currently. XMR hit a price of 0.01 twice and inflation was a lot higher then. I personally think that many potential investors are waiting for an official GUI (with Database) before investing a considerable amount, many of them also expected this release a lot earlier. With this in mind, there is a lack of buying which is fueling the current downtrend. I personally think we will see a bulltrend again if the core functions are released.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:47:57 PM

You have your cause and effect confused here. This was not a coordinated attack on Monero at all. It was a reaction to all the useless threads spamming up BCT-Alt, cordinated trolling in nearly every thread unrelated to Monero and the intransigence of the Monero devs either encouraging this (Smooth) or denying it (Fluffypony).

It's much better now. Even Smooth (despite still jumping into other CTN coin threads) seems to have mellowed. However there still appears to be, either a bot or some saddo XMR shills, who immediately bump a random 'official XMR' thread with an inane one liner the second a 'competitor' CTN coin thread appears on the front page.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
darthcoin

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 04:52:19 PM

You have your cause and effect confused here. This was not a coordinated attack on Monero at all. It was a reaction to all the useless threads spamming up BCT-Alt, cordinated trolling in nearly every thread unrelated to Monero and the intransigence of the Monero devs either encouraging this (Smooth) or denying it (Fluffypony).

It's much better now. Even Smooth (despite still jumping into other CTN coin threads) seems to have mellowed. However there still appears to be, either a bot or some saddo XMR shills, who immediately bump a random 'official XMR' thread with an inane one liner the second a 'competitor' CTN coin thread appears on the front page.

Its hard for me imagine why a coin like Monero is so much attacked by random people on the internet, I think now things are much better (including the entry price) it looks very promising, somethings bother me like why there is still no graphical interface but I guess the fundamentals are the most important and they are solid.

Monero needs a functional gui wallet. Why it still has not gotten one is a big question.
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:40:11 PM

dartcoin, theres a web/mobile wallet (mymonero)?
Why not use that, for us it was more important to have a lightweight wallet as everyone can use it.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:58:48 PM

MoNero and NxT connection?   Huh

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Sellers

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 12:20:44 AM

Still has a high market cap : P
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 12:25:52 AM

Monero is an outdated coin now. If it had a nice gui wallet when it was released; it could've been "largely accepted" and now it's price would have been much more higher

I don't think it's price will rebounce.

Sorry guyz, it's a long dead coin now...

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#