Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 07:21:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Average Joe thinks about Bitcoin  (Read 4477 times)
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:12:59 PM

just read this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/salaries-paid-in-bitcoin-a-growing-trend-in-canada-1.2752441

then switched over to the comments, let me summarize em here.

The_Voice:
"The solution is simple: Just don't work for any company that wants to use "bitcoin" to escape its financial obligations to pay an employee in real dollars."

Noharass
"When Bitcoin goes bust, I hope the Canadian government does not bail these people out of their financial mess."

booyakasha
"These people will end up broke one day and will be on here crying about the rest of us needing to pay more taxes to support their social welfare programs."

Jordan
"I wouldn;t do anything more than virtual work for such virtual money..."

nexxtep54
"Any savvy techie with the proper software and code can make his own coin and steal yours. No thanks."

Abdul Rahman Hussein
"why take bitcoin? bitcoins are shit, in my opinion.
It is based on the what people believe on it value and it is electronic.
which means that when blackout or hacker can wipe your wallet clean. The chance of that happen is more likely, than hyperinflation or economic collapse. Also Canadian dollar are backed up by gold reserve and protect by the government as a legal tender. Bitcoin has none.Also , big bank spend huge loads on internet security and bitcoin has none."

norain
"Dont go boo hooing to the goverment when you wake up with a empty screen one day. You have to be crazy to accept this rubbish. Like any ponzi scam it will come down. You wait some hacker is working on this as we speak. Your going to be sorry for messing with this junk and thats what you own is junk. what a waste of hard work. It really should be named bite coin because thats what its going to do bite you !"

sachmo
"Bitcoin started by an unknown in 2009 and people are buying into it. I think there is going to be a lot people either very broke or very disappointed in the end. Someone is making money here and it probably isn't the average Joe."

.... sums up how 'Average Joe' thinks... and why Bitcoin never truly went to mainstream acceptance within 5 years and most likely never will if theres no support from dumb people who constitute 98% of society

~CfA~

Hahahaha! Great! Thanks for the laughs!  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kickstart4

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:37:41 PM

People use too much of their brains! All of these were wrong.

Thanks for the giggles.
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:04:49 PM

You can't really persuade such people with online arguments, they are too unreceptive to new ideas.

Though that doesn't mean arguing is pointless; there is always a silent majority lurking and reading comments, and many among them are ready to hear both sides of the argument. I'm sure that's how a lot of us jumped off the fence and got into bitcoin.

Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:26:06 PM

They will change their mind when they realize Bitcoin advantages over fiat currencies.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

This clearly indicated that people's knowledge about today's fiat money system is almost zero. But some of them will start to realize the slavery nature of it

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:30:24 PM

Everyone who has posted in this thread, you may consider yourself an early adopter, even if you just heard of bitcoin today. Go buy some. The price is right.

MaryKris

Activity: 109

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:08:16 AM

I talked about this to my dad and he thinks its crap. Money will be money. Bitcoin are for nerds.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤////////////////////
❖ Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
////////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Ruthful

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:53:04 AM

Even if that person is interested in bitcoin doesn't mean s/he will adopt bitcoin .Frankly, bitcoin is worthless to me right now .It solves absolutely no problem for me and the thing that it does really well( money tranfer ) actually cost more than the mainstream  that it's trying to replace.So no, I don't see myself using bitcoin and I consider myself more knowledgeable about bitcoin that the average joe.
desired_username

Activity: 878
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:10:48 PM

Even if that person is interested in bitcoin doesn't mean s/he will adopt bitcoin .Frankly, bitcoin is worthless to me right now .It solves absolutely no problem for me and the thing that it does really well( money tranfer ) actually cost more than the mainstream  that it's trying to replace.So no, I don't see myself using bitcoin and I consider myself more knowledgeable about bitcoin that the average joe.

What the hell are you doing here then? Cheesy
Ruthful

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:20:20 PM

What the hell are you doing here then? Cheesy

Roll Eyes The underlined word , read it.Roll Eyes
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 12:26:04 PM

This clearly indicated that people's knowledge about today's fiat money system is almost zero. But some of them will start to realize the slavery nature of it
Only 2.3 million people have seen this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Even if you assume 100% of them are Americans, that's less than 1% of the population

1.6 million people have seen this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM

Fortunately, this one at least has been seen by 15 million and counting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Young people today spend more time learning online by pictures and videos than any generation previously.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Ruthful

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:55:57 PM

Only 2.3 million people have seen this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Even if you assume 100% of them are Americans, that's less than 1% of the population

1.6 million people have seen this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM

Fortunately, this one at least has been seen by 15 million and counting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Young people today spend more time learning online by pictures and videos than any generation previously.

Not to mention some of those 2.3 and 1.6 million views are the from  repeated viewings  , so the viewcount might not represent the actual number  of people who have seen it.
desired_username

Activity: 878
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:50:57 PM

So no, I don't see myself using bitcoin and I consider myself more knowledgeable about bitcoin that the average joe.

Short-sightedness at its finest. Bitcoin is not even a static, finished product. It's an ever evolving open software.
5 Guys Burgers

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:50:09 PM

old people are always trying to say you cant do this and you cant do that. people for the most part dont like change and dont embrace it.

some people readily like risk and challenges and problems and jump head first into anything that piques there interest. average people dont do this, it will be more years before we get average people to use it.

for now mostly the people using it are not average by any measure. it took paypal awhile to get regular people into using it as it takes awhile to show benefits of something. paypal for awhile wasn't used by normal people but when ebay integrated it in and bought them out now tons of normal ppl use it.
MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:57:46 PM

That sucks how average person thinks about bitcoin. I think cryptos should be introduced to school as age of 12..
Ruthful

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:01:36 PM

Short-sightedness at its finest.

Let me spell it out for you .Bitcoin is currently useless to me  , thus it is worthless to me, which lead to me not going going to use it.The moment that change I'll reassess my position.

Sounds pretty pragmatic to me.

Bitcoin is not even a static, finished product. It's an ever evolving open software.

No shit ,Sherlock!! Shocked LOL

Perchance you be better of telling this to someone who isn't aware of this.
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:36:20 PM

I think the mindset of people should be changed regarding bitcoins. I have seen many cases when people seem interested in bitcoins but don't like hassle going through all exchanges. They prefer money processors like Paypal.
polunna

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:23:19 PM

The comments at the bottom of this article are hilarious.
lovegood

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:38:06 PM

The comments at the bottom of this article are hilarious.

Many of them seem to echo this sentiment:
"Bitcoin started by an unknown in 2009 and people are buying into it. I think there is going to be a lot people either very broke or very disappointed in the end. Someone is making money here and it probably isn't the average Joe."

Misinformed? Clearly.
Knee-jerk reaction? Definitely.
Should be dismissed? I'm not sure.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 01:59:33 PM

I think you are misinformed as to the cost of sending a transaction. You can usually send a TX for free under the right circumstances, or if the TX is over a certain size then it will generally cost you ~$0.05 (.0001 BTC).

It is a misconception by some people in the public that the block subsidies are something that people that send TXs need to pay for. It is something that is known will happen by the public and the price is adjusted accordingly.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: