Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:32:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is all this manipulation good for Bitcoin?  (Read 2831 times)
petersiddle98

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:32:55 AM

Anyone looking at the charts will see whales pushing the price down again and again. Is this good for Bitcoin's PR?

Thats not manipulation, just some whale sell a lot and some other whale buy a lot.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 09:49:29 AM

I do think that the fact that many people often scream manipulation whenever the price of bitcoin falls is a sign that bitcoin does need a small amount of regulation to make sure everyone has a level playing field.

I disagree.  The bulk of the screams for manipulation are built on poor reasoning, a weak understanding of volatility and probability, and a cognative bias which attributes anything interesting as having come from some thinking agent (see the intellegent design argument).  This is not new to the community and indeed was more pernicious in the past with the whole "the manipulator" meme.

I'd say nothing needs to be done about this but if the screams are worrying, I'd recommend addressing the actual problem: the demons in peoples' minds.  At the very least, let us spend our energy advertising Bitcoin to professional day-traders, highlighting how some actors are pushing the price around in predictable ways.  Such "manipulators" are easy prey for a seasoned trader and these traders will help to reduce volatility and bring about swift price discovery.  They may even help to drive the amateur speculators and gamblers out of the market (good riddance) leading to even lower volatility.

Regulations will only make things worse as they will certainly raise the barrier to entry for new traders and/or trading platforms and may even make truly decentralised trading systems effectively illegal.  Less choice will only foster abuse and lead to a less level playing field.  The greater costs which must come with regulation would also be most unwelcome.
jersey19957

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

Everything is a scam because money creates more money easily, but at least with BTC we don't have a super mega scam of Ben Bernakle tier.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:15:53 PM

I won't be spending BTC at a loss (under $1250), so keep manipulating it down and no business will ever get mine.

This is a legit point of view. You need to stay calm and watch the market noise. Whales are trying to get feed cheap ass plankton as weak hands get shaken. The disruptive nature of BTC remains and the future is set in stone: BTC wins.

dadugan

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:26:56 PM

Ethereum is the big whale selling for the last few weeks. They are simply cashing out and not "manipulating" the price down.

In fact, they are better off if the price stay high so they can sell more.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 11:48:00 PM

Ethereum is the big whale selling for the last few weeks. They are simply cashing out and not "manipulating" the price down.

They did not raise bitcoins to benefit from price movements. They raised bitcoins so that development expenses can be paid. So I guess they have to sell at regular intervals.
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:25:37 AM

1. the longer the bitcoin price stays high the better for its core-value and volatility is very welcome for trading.
2. as long the difficulty double every 90 days and the price for a Hash is falling, the btc price level will stay stable on the high level we have now.
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:37:26 AM

production of BTC is knowned.
demand of buy, not.

price change over the month.
bitcoin is a real stock system with no interference of manipulation market.

very clear and lean statement. that should make your question obsolate, before you do more wrong questions and get into confusion without a straight thought and aim for conclusion.
jacksonmic

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:56:02 AM

Investment banking in India is defined as  long-term source of support. In the case of public infrastructure, this may be revenues generated by the project, dedicated tax revenues or general resources of the sponsoring public sector entity
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:13:24 AM

They did not raise bitcoins to benefit from price movements. They raised bitcoins so that development expenses can be paid. So I guess they have to sell at regular intervals.
This is true. Also the amount of bitcoin that they sold was very small when compared to the total amount of bitcoin traded on the market during the crash, and IMO had little/nothing to do with the price declines a few weeks ago.

yunkie

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:01:45 PM

What we see now as big manipulations will be seen as market noise in years.
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:07:48 PM

So what just happened? price went up from $470 to $495 like in few sec..

MileyJohanson
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:04:57 PM

So what just happened? price went up from $470 to $495 like in few sec..

It lasted for 3 days at $470 levels... A breakout was bound to happen.  Tongue
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:04:18 PM

I won't be spending BTC at a loss (under $1250), so keep manipulating it down and no business will ever get mine.

I can dig it and well said.  This is why I'm bullish even right now.  People just don't get this is how weak hands are taken out of the game.  Even though it happens time and time again.  It almost makes me want to scream "hello this is nothing new and we've been here before, open your eyes"!!
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:22:39 PM

there is no manipulation currently possible in bitcoin (assuming the exchange doesn't blatantly steal people's money but that's not called manipulation but outright theft).
unlike gold there is no such thing as paper bitcoin, if you sell bitcoin then you sell bitcoin, no way to sell future contracts for bitcoins you don't have to push the price down.

there is nothing wrong with whales selling bitcoin, its their right to do with it whatever they want.
every whale no matter how big will eventually run out of bitcoin to sell and will have to buy/earn them back to sell again.
fa

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:45:30 AM

It's a inevitable phase that bitcoin has to go through. If after this BTC is still alive... We'll see the moon
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:00:19 AM

I think in future there will be some kind of price control alliance like OPEC in bitcoin world

Those large mining farms and miner producer, they combined together command over 90% of the hash power of the network, thus they could easily make an agreement of never sell below certain price to support the exchange rate, just like OPEC countries control the oil price. This is very important for their business, since if the price going all the way down, their business will be hit hardest

master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 06:15:43 AM

I think in future there will be some kind of price control alliance like OPEC in bitcoin world

Those large mining farms and miner producer, they combined together command over 90% of the hash power of the network, thus they could easily make an agreement of never sell below certain price to support the exchange rate, just like OPEC countries control the oil price. This is very important for their business, since if the price going all the way down, their business will be hit hardest
With OPEC and oil, the world generally will consume 90%+ of the oil produced every day. As a result there is very little excess capacity in the oil market.

Bitcoin on the other hand is impossible to "consume" you either hold it or you spend it. When you spend it someone else can do the same.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:36:38 AM

I don't think the decline related to manipulation of price. If the whale pushed down the price, the face value of their BTc holding would be scraped a lot.
The reason is that as more merchants take BTCayment, the more selling the merchants dump BTC payment to cash fiat in the exchange.
cryptofan5

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:44:12 AM

I think manipulations are inevitable at this early stage. The crypto currency industry is like a Wild West right now. Maybe when more serious investment companies will join the market, any manipulations on a large scale will be difficult.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: