Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:40:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mining Company (PanCake Mining)  (Read 4585 times)
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:57:12 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2012, 05:49:22 AM by ThePanCakeKid95

Hello let me first say my real name is Jason, I am a 16 year student who is currently in 10th grade. I am a current resident of the United States. I first got into BitCoin around Dec 4-5 2011, when I first learned about BitCoin I was very skeptical and even with what I would consider a high intelligence for my age bracket, I was astonished that someone could basically solve the worlds finical problems with this. For about the first month I did loads of reaurch and studding, being the type of person I am, I love learning and wanted to know everything their was to know about BitCoin (I still don't know everything Tongue). I was stupid and never made a BitCoin forum account. I soon got the current BitCoin client, and was amazed at the complexity of such program. Anywho, following Christmas of 2011 I finally got up the confidence to send $10 through Dwolla then to Mt.Gox which is from I know at the time to be the best, which in my opinion and many others still is the best. On December 31, 2011 me and my dad had been for about a year been talking about building a gaming computer, so I mentioned to him that we could do it and then we should put a very nice graphics card into it so that when its not in use we can mine "bitcoins" which confused my dad a little so I did my best to explain the whole Bitcoin thing to him. We ordered that computer and received parts the next weekend, at first we were so excited and we started one night around 6pm, we ended at 2am when a mother board was on fire, yes on fire Sad We were able to return many parts and the company gave us a partial refund even when they knew we had caught it on fire. That ended my dream of being a BitCoin miner. Around such time I heard about a company called "Butterfly Labs" but among the community there was strong distrust with said company. Between the months of January to April, I sent a total of about $1,500 which let me say was hard earned money, including mowing lawns for cheap prices. My dad ask me why I choose to invest in what he calls "BitCoin" instead of investing in the stock market. I feel that while investing in bitcoin I am also investing in the future of our society. By the way I am big on the whole free internet, and wanting to go into politics later in life I look in sadness at how the people who are there to represent me, do the complete opposite. Who knows you may just be reading the post of a kid who is the future president of the United States.

Ok so that brings me to this point, in the resent weeks with the full understanding that Butterfly labs is a real company I have looked into buying a Butterfly labs single and true me I have done days of crunching numbers to see if its the right path for me. As a guy who commented on my youtube videos said its better to invest in bitcoin mining than to day trade with the exchange between bitcoin and USD. I have been in lots of IRC chats and have read many post. I have looked into GLBSE, Mining Contracts, Shared Rigs, and many other options. The thing is someone like me who doesn't want to invest 1,000 or more in equipment is basically limited to either GLBSE (which don't get me wrong is a good option, and me myself has money invested in such) or Trading between BTC and USD Sad

So now I have a challenge for you, lets brain storm together and come up with something that can help both the small and large investor. Lets work on something to change bitcoin, lets work together and solve this problem and lets find a way to grab the average citizen and get them into BitCoin. I am usually a person who sits back and lets others figure out how to solve things that are "To Big For Me" I say its only to big if I let it be too big. P.S. I'll be editing this post to add your ideas Smiley Thanks for reading this Smiley

*Update 4/14/12 1:42AM
       Hello, first I want to say this is just one option of many but would be the easiest to get started. Below I am going to list the specs about if we bought the ButterFlyLabs Single.

$633 starting cost
Energy/month 4.088 (USD)
Energy/year 49.056 (USD)
832 Mh/s
First Year return needed 682.056 (USD)     *After first year and the box is paid off returns will greatly increase Smiley     *Prices have not been decided yet; hopping to get feedback about ideal prices Smiley

Options
1 Mh/s
5 Mh/s
10 Mh/s
20 Mh/s
25 Mh/s
50 Mh/s
100 Mh/s
250 Mh/s
500 Mh/s
Custom 1Mh/s-832 Mh/s (as of right now the higest is 832 Mh/s but could increase if we get more boxes)
Box (which is what ever the box produces, average is 832 Mh/s)
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:57:49 AM

reserved*
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:58:18 AM

reserved**
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 08:42:28 AM

A couple things you neglected to mention/consider above.....

1) Network Hashing power is sure to increase (thanks to FPGA's, ASIC's etc), increasing difficulty as a result, lowering PPS rewards.
2) Overall Block Rewards will be cut in half (25BTC/block) later this year.

Good luck none the less.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:44:46 PM

Moore's law states basically that the network hash rate will double every 18 months.
Additionally, the reward cut can be seen as an additional doubling of global hash rate every 4 years.

Do the maths yourself and be amazed... Wink

Also, GLBSE is denominated in BTC, not USD but you (or your parents) pay your electricity and mining equipment in USD, not BTC.
Currently the trend seems to be to offer bonds for various hash rates (from 1 MH/s up to 5 MH/s or more) and promise to pay out indefinitely on a 100% PPS rate on them.

Anyways, I'm not even sure what the problem is, you're trying to solve here? Earning USD via a mining company that issues shares? Earning BTC doing the same?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:47:58 PM

It's nice that you want to start a business at a young age. The biggest error you can make is to never try. So try it  Grin

The biggest advantage you have is that you are still young, so you have a lot more time in front of you than older people, and time is money. Don't worry if something "fail", it's a way to learn and evolve your business projects.

Also, I see that you ask for advices or suggestions. It's not a bad thing, because it helps for brainstorming, but consider this:
The suggestions of people are based on their own perception, and are almost always linked to their own interests. It's not "bad", it's how things work. When somebody gives you an advice, always consider THEIR interests. If they fit with your own, that's fine, but if it's not, do what your instinct tells you. Of all the good advices you get, you can scrap 97% of them.

Like my post, only 3% is valuable in it, the rest is bullcrap to make a nice forum post and to look like I'm a brillant entrepreneur with a lot of experience. Can you find the 3%?  Wink
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 11:17:09 AM

One question...

following Christmas of 2011 I finally got up the confidence to send $10 through Dwolla then to Mt.Gox

Between the months of January to April, I sent a total of about $1,500 which let me say was hard earned money

How come it was so hard for you to deposit $10 on Mt. Gox, but you can send $1,500 no problem like a month later?

Also you're gonna need a lot more than 1 BFL single to start a mining company.

Good luck to you though
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 12:54:54 PM

So that's why you asked :)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76569.0

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
WebWolf

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:02:49 AM

I don't really have much expertise to offer here, but kudos to you for jumping out there so young! Good luck, man!
ARapalo

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 04:03:26 AM

So now I have a challenge for you, lets brain storm together and come up with something that can help both the small and large investor. Lets work on something to change bitcoin, lets work together and solve this problem and lets find a way to grab the average citizen and get them into BitCoin. I am usually a person who sits back and lets others figure out how to solve things that are "To Big For Me" I say its only to big if I let it be too big. P.S. I'll be editing this post to add your ideas Smiley Thanks for reading this Smiley

Nice little pep talk, but didn't really inspire me. I'll give you props for the good intentions at a young age though.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 07:32:11 AM

Be careful, some of his verbiage isn't native to america. Second, cant even use spell check when he is so high tech. Smells of a scam, just cant see the end game yet.

Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 07:42:55 AM

Be careful, some of his verbiage isn't native to america. Second, cant even use spell check when he is so high tech. Smells of a scam, just cant see the end game yet.
Have you been in any American public schools lately? I don't think America HAS a public verbiage anymore.

But that being said, yes this seems a bit fishy, but mainly because of the lack of experience. What scammer would willingly admit they're 16? Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Oh also, to the OP, good luck on your business! I wish I could offer advice, but mining is not my speciality. I would suggest you aim for a business with a smaller overhead. Try the $50-100 range before going big.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:01:54 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2012, 01:14:49 AM by BinaryMage

Have you been in any American public schools lately? I don't think America HAS a public verbiage anymore.

But that being said, yes this seems a bit fishy, but mainly because of the lack of experience. What scammer would willingly admit they're 16? Seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Oh also, to the OP, good luck on your business! I wish I could offer advice, but mining is not my speciality. I would suggest you aim for a business with a smaller overhead. Try the $50-100 range before going big.

His command of language is above average for an HS student in my own experience, and many of the reputable members on these forums have neither flawless spelling nor perfect grammar. That said, caution is always advisable. Just don't jump to conclusions.

PanCakeKid, I would advise against BFL singles for the first-time miner. It's likely to be a few months at the least before you receive one, and the immediate profit in terms of MH/$ is not optimal. For a small-scale operation, better to simply add a GPU to an existing PCIe slot in your desktop (assuming you have one) solely for mining. The HD 5xxx series is generally the best value right now in terms of MH/$. If you have the requisite slot and power, a HD 5970 will give you nearly as much MH as a BFL single for around half the price.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:13:58 AM

agreed on his language, not sure about whether it's scam or not.

Hello let me first say my real name is Jason, I am a 16 year student who is currently in 10th grade. I am a current resident of the United States. I first got into BitCoin around Dec 4-5 2011, when I first learned about BitCoin I was very skeptical and even with what I would consider a high intelligence for my age bracket, I was astonished that someone could basically solve the worlds finical problems with this. For about the first month I did loads of reaurch and studding, being the type of person I am, I love learning and wanted to know everything their was to know about BitCoin (I still don't know everything Tongue). I was stupid and never made a BitCoin forum account. I soon got the current BitCoin client, and was amazed at the complexity of such program. Anywho, following Christmas of 2011 I finally got up the confidence to send $10 through Dwolla then to Mt.Gox which is from I know at the time to be the best, which in my opinion and many others still is the best. On December 31, 2011 me and my dad had been for about a year been talking about building a gaming computer, so I mentioned to him that we could do it and then we should put a very nice graphics card into it so that when its not in use we can mine "bitcoins" which confused my dad a little so I did my best to explain the whole Bitcoin thing to him. We ordered that computer and received parts the next weekend, at first we were so excited and we started one night around 6pm, we ended at 2am when a mother board was on fire, yes on fire Sad We were able to return many parts and the company gave us a partial refund even when they knew we had caught it on fire. That ended my dream of being a BitCoin miner. Around such time I heard about a company called "Butterfly Labs" but among the community there was strong distrust with said company. Between the months of January to April, I sent a total of about $1,500 which let me say was hard earned money, including mowing lawns for cheap prices. My dad ask me why I choose to invest in what he calls "BitCoin" instead of investing in the stock market. I feel that while investing in bitcoin I am also investing in the future of our society. By the way I am big on the whole free internet, and wanting to go into politics later in life I look in sadness at how the people who are there to represent me, do the complete opposite. Who knows you may just be reading the post of a kid who is the future president of the United States.

Ok so that brings me to this point, in the resent weeks with the full understanding that Butterfly labs is a real company I have looked into buying a Butterfly labs single and true me I have done days of crunching numbers to see if its the right path for me. As a guy who commented on my youtube videos said its better to invest in bitcoin mining than to day trade with the exchange between bitcoin and USD. I have been in lots of IRC chats and have read many post. I have looked into GLBSE, Mining Contracts, Shared Rigs, and many other options. The thing is someone like me who doesn't want to invest 1,000 or more in equipment is basically limited to either GLBSE (which don't get me wrong is a good option, and me myself has money invested in such) or Trading between BTC and USD Sad

Hello, first I want to say this is just one option of many but would be the easiest to get started. Below I am going to list the specs about if we bought the ButterFlyLabs Single.

$633 starting cost
Energy/month 4.088 (USD)
Energy/year 49.056 (USD)
832 Mh/s
First Year return needed 682.056 (USD)     *After first year and the box is paid off returns will greatly increase Smiley     *Prices have not been decided yet; hopping to get feedback about ideal prices Smiley

Options
1 Mh/s
5 Mh/s
10 Mh/s
20 Mh/s
25 Mh/s
50 Mh/s
100 Mh/s
250 Mh/s
500 Mh/s
Custom 1Mh/s-832 Mh/s (as of right now the higest is 832 Mh/s but could increase if we get more boxes)

plus tons of spelling errors + spelling correct errors + weird caps, not to mention the number of holes/inconsistencies in the story.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:17:34 AM

agreed on his language, not sure about whether it's scam or not.

$633 starting cost
Energy/month 4.088 (USD)
Energy/year 49.056 (USD)
832 Mh/s
First Year return needed 682.056 (USD)     *After first year and the box is paid off returns will greatly increase Smiley     *Prices have not been decided yet; hopping to get feedback about ideal prices Smiley

Options
1 Mh/s
5 Mh/s
10 Mh/s
20 Mh/s
25 Mh/s
50 Mh/s
100 Mh/s
250 Mh/s
500 Mh/s

plus tons of spelling errors + spelling correct errors + weird caps, not to mention the number of holes/inconsistencies in the story.

Sounds like our good old MilkMan95 (or whatever his name was) to me..
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:46:23 AM

My mommy taught me to never trust anyone with numbers after their username.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:47:06 AM

Now I'm questioning your age...  Wink

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:49:34 AM

Well I'm fucked...

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:03:55 AM

Sounds like our good old MilkMan95 (or whatever his name was) to me..
him? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=51326

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
highlevelminer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:11:05 AM

Eh to flat out state that mining is more profitable than day trading is misleading.

Neither are profitable really and the fact remains: hardware gets ancient and stocks grow cold.

At best this venture will be a good way to generate some after school income.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: