Bitcoin Forum
December 16, 2017, 03:56:57 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: How (and why) pools (and all miners) should use the Relay Network  (Read 291152 times)
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:52:00 AM

UPDATE: The relay network has been updated to use Bitcoin FIBRE - you can find th enew instructions to peer with it at http://bitcoinfibre.org/public-network.html.

Many of you have likely seen the recent discussions on the P2Pool thread and the post on the foundation blog about the relay network.

It exists as a way for pool operators (and all miners, though not hashers) to get their blocks relayed quickly across a separate network both as a backup to the P2P network and as a quicker way to get the latest blocks as it skips relaying transactions which have already been seen. Thus, if you're a miner anywhere from a small p2pool miner to a large pool, you should be running one of the relay network clients.

You can see more information about its original goals and its original announcement here

You can find the latest information at http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org/

Bitcoin Ubuntu PPA maintainer - donate to me personally: 1JBMattRztKDF2KRS3vhjJXA7h47NEsn2c
http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org maintainer
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:52:11 AM

I used to have a list of pools here, but it had gone unupdated in a long time and was very incomplete...essentially, most the major pools and large miners are connecting to the relay network in some capacity.

Bitcoin Ubuntu PPA maintainer - donate to me personally: 1JBMattRztKDF2KRS3vhjJXA7h47NEsn2c
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 2366

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:54:11 AM

I've been running the relay node client since Matt wrote it and it appears save a considerable amount of bandwidth (e.g. avoiding resending >95% of all transactions) which means faster block relaying and fewer orphans.

Plus, alternative transports make the network more robust e.g. some crazy firewall starts blocking the Bitcoin P2P network, the relay client may get through and prevent partitioning.

Great stuff.

Bitcoin will not be compromised
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:54:44 AM

Thanks Matt, good work. The ckpool instances out there (public and the private one yet to become public) already use this and we're grateful.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
ZERO FEE Pooled mining at ckpool.org 1% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1512

I have some bitcoins. Somewhere.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:59:38 AM

does it request blocks/transactions from multiple sources as well?

re:

"addr" : "public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com:8335",
        "bytessent" : 21548126,
        "bytesrecv" : 5476607,

or bitcoind i reset maybe an hr ago

"addr" : "146.185.173.241:8335",
        "bytessent" : 3910519,
        "bytesrecv" : 281180,

Dacentec Dedicated Servers (Lenoir, NC, USA) from $25/mo & Time4VPS Storage VPS' (Vilnius, Lithuania) from €18/qtr & Hetzner's serverbidding, from ~€20/mo -- had bitcoin nodes & p2pool (dacentec, hetzner) for several years on these.  Only two are affiliate links too, kek! -------  Feel free to join my G2A Goldmine Pyramid Scheme Team, or possibly even buy a Steam game from there.  Maybe.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:08:59 AM

Watching.

M

Check out Helium!  Referral for Cryptopia.
linuxforyou

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 07:42:03 PM

Thanks Matt for the great work, Like the python version more.

RTFM
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2268

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 08:33:48 PM

Thanks for this great service, Matt.

I've been using the relay network since it was first announced. The only problem I can report is that I began getting the blocks so quickly that blockchain.info marked a lot of blocks as coming from my pool when they did not.  Cheesy

▶▶▶ Bitminter.com - Your trusted mining pool since 2011.
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:23:48 PM

does it request blocks/transactions from multiple sources as well?

re:

"addr" : "public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com:8335",
        "bytessent" : 21548126,
        "bytesrecv" : 5476607,

or bitcoind i reset maybe an hr ago

"addr" : "146.185.173.241:8335",
        "bytessent" : 3910519,
        "bytesrecv" : 281180,
Hmm? Note sure what you're asking here. I know several pools are running one of the clients, and Ive manually made outbound peers to a few large pools and a small set of other random nodes, all of which are received blocks from. I dont think I ever fixed the outbound manual peering to send blocks over those connections, but all other connections should both have blocks and transactions pulled from them and receive blocks (and probably transactions).

PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:25:33 PM

I've been using this neat bit of kit on my p2pool setup for the last week or two, integrates seamlessly with p2pool  - great stuff indeed Matt, many thanks  Smiley

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:28:46 PM

Thanks for this great service, Matt.

I've been using the relay network since it was first announced. The only problem I can report is that I began getting the blocks so quickly that blockchain.info marked a lot of blocks as coming from my pool when they did not.  Cheesy
Do you use standard bitcoin addnode or have you upgraded to one of the relay network clients? Are there any features you want form the relay clients?

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 10:53:21 PM

Do you use standard bitcoin addnode or have you upgraded to one of the relay network clients? Are there any features you want form the relay clients?

I'm still just using addnode. I was planning to build the client into my mining server code. But since it is taking me a while to get around to it, I should probably just set up the standard client in the meantime.

Here's how I think a last bit of performance can be squeezed out of this:

Identify blocks coming from the biggest pools, by coinbase address and/or signature. If not recognized consider the source unknown and untrusted.

For known sources, keep track of how many times your local bitcoind accepts and rejects blocks from this source. Sources with 10+ accepted blocks and zero rejected are considered trusted. Other sources are untrusted.

When you receive a block from a trusted source, start building on top of it immediately. Still submit the block to local bitcoind for full verification. If bitcoind rejects the block, push new work data to miners to immediately go back to building on the previous parent block.

Possible issue: some getwork clients will get confused about what is old vs. new work when you send work data it has previously seen. They will get stuck DoSing the pool requesting new work over and over as fast as they can until there is a new block change. I'm not sure if any getblocktemplate clients have issues with going back to "old" work. Maybe they can get stuck mining on the invalid block, thinking it is the latest work? They'll probably be fine, but I need to find out for sure. Stratum clients, using only a single TCP connection, should be fine.

Thoughts?

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 10:54:32 PM

Would something similar to this relay network be useful for the p2pool share chain?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:28:17 PM

I'm still just using addnode. I was planning to build the client into my mining server code. But since it is taking me a while to get around to it, I should probably just set up the standard client in the meantime.

Here's how I think a last bit of performance can be squeezed out of this:

Identify blocks coming from the biggest pools, by coinbase address and/or signature. If not recognized consider the source unknown and untrusted.

For known sources, keep track of how many times your local bitcoind accepts and rejects blocks from this source. Sources with 10+ accepted blocks and zero rejected are considered trusted. Other sources are untrusted.

When you receive a block from a trusted source, start building on top of it immediately. Still submit the block to local bitcoind for full verification. If bitcoind rejects the block, push new work data to miners to immediately go back to building on the previous parent block.

Possible issue: some getwork clients will get confused about what is old vs. new work when you send work data it has previously seen. They will get stuck DoSing the pool requesting new work over and over as fast as they can until there is a new block change. I'm not sure if any getblocktemplate clients have issues with going back to "old" work. Maybe they can get stuck mining on the invalid block, thinking it is the latest work? They'll probably be fine, but I need to find out for sure. Stratum clients, using only a single TCP connection, should be fine.

Thoughts?

The relay networlk already doesnt do full verification. It does simple SPV validation simply as a DoS precaution, but thats already rather quick. Building blocks on top of another miner without validation is still not possible no matter what precautions you take...Imagine a pool op of a smaller pool who wants to have some fun...they break into a large, "trusted" miner and change it to include some invalid transaction in its blocks, now it finds a block and everyone else goes off and mines on it, giving the smaller miner a chance to mine blocks for free while the rest of the network is off building invalid crap.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:28:40 PM

Would something similar to this relay network be useful for the p2pool share chain?
P2Pool already does something similar within its own network for the share chain.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 11:29:16 PM

Thanks Matt, good work. The ckpool instances out there (public and the private one yet to become public) already use this and we're grateful.
Are you using one of the clients or just a simple -addnode?

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 11:40:09 PM

Are you using one of the clients or just a simple -addnode?
Using the full java client.

-ck
gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 01:15:36 AM

P2Pool already does something similar within its own network for the share chain.
Yup, has for some time— it's is part of why p2pool's observed orphan rate is less than 1/10th several of the larger pools.

Please don't do this. It undermines the security model of Bitcoin, and at most saves you a few _milliseconds_ (and even there it isn't lost work because you could theoretically find a block and win the block race) since virtually all the transactions are already verified, and cached in memory and the node doesn't check them again.

SPV clients are counting the blocks you produce to be valid. Setting up that kind of verification also produces extreme fragility in that if a software error makes a good node produce a bad block you could have a whole series of bad blocks created by mutually trusting hosts, creating a large fork in the network. This kind of approach is also vulnerable to attack since without a PKI infrastructure you cannot determine who the source of a block is— for example it could just be a sybil who is relaying good blocks to you from other parties but later starts feeding you trash. (and, of course, imposing identities on mining has a multitude of problems and risks that go beyond the simply technical)

Bitcoin will not be compromised
DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 07:10:12 AM

The relay networlk already doesnt do full verification. It does simple SPV validation simply as a DoS precaution, but thats already rather quick. Building blocks on top of another miner without validation is still not possible no matter what precautions you take...Imagine a pool op of a smaller pool who wants to have some fun...they break into a large, "trusted" miner and change it to include some invalid transaction in its blocks, now it finds a block and everyone else goes off and mines on it, giving the smaller miner a chance to mine blocks for free while the rest of the network is off building invalid crap.

If a big pool got hacked you might be mining on invalid data from the time you submit their block to your local bitcoind and until you get the response back that it rejects the block. After that you switch to building on the previous parent block and mark this pool as untrusted so it won't be repeated.

About 100 times per day you get a sub-second advantage to avoid creating an orphan race. And very rarely, probably less often than once a year or maybe never, you mine invalid data for a sub-second. For every invalid block you mine, you have avoided 36 500 orphan races, of which you would have lost more than half because the other guy had a head start. Sacrifice one block (or likely zero) to save 20 000.

SPV clients are counting the blocks you produce to be valid. Setting up that kind of verification also produces extreme fragility in that if a software error makes a good node produce a bad block you could have a whole series of bad blocks created by mutually trusting hosts, creating a large fork in the network. This kind of approach is also vulnerable to attack since without a PKI infrastructure you cannot determine who the source of a block is— for example it could just be a sybil who is relaying good blocks to you from other parties but later starts feeding you trash. (and, of course, imposing identities on mining has a multitude of problems and risks that go beyond the simply technical)

In the rare event that an invalid block might be created, it's not going to reach SPV clients.

Verification doesn't need to be 100%. You can check that the difficulty (bits) is correct, that the generation transaction pays to a known address used by a "trusted" pool, and that the block hash is valid at this difficulty. So an attacker could mine an invalid block and cause you to mine invalid data for less than a second. That's a cost of over 25 BTC to them. They could repeat it for every trusted payment address you have, but no more than that.

Say you trust 4 sources. An attacker could spend over 100 BTC to make you mine invalid data for maybe one second in total. A smarter attacker would use blockwithholding instead, making you lose not 1 second of mining but 4 blocks (average) worth of mining effort, which is much much more than any pool does in 1 second.

Please don't do this. It undermines the security model of Bitcoin, and at most saves you a few _milliseconds_ (and even there it isn't lost work because you could theoretically find a block and win the block race) since virtually all the transactions are already verified, and cached in memory and the node doesn't check them again.

I don't see how it undermines the security model of Bitcoin. If you mine a block before the parent is verified by your own bitcoind you could wait until that happens before sending your new block to the relay network. That way an invalid block never leaves your pool. This way others on the relay network will only see the first invalid block from someone else. You will never add another invalid that they will see.

Say you get blocks from trusted sources 100 times per day and it saves you a total of 25 seconds of mining where you would have entered an orphan race and the other guy has a head start. Maybe 15 seconds where you would have lost an orphan race if you had gotten a block. That's an hour and a half of worthless mining saved per year.

You are right there isn't much to save. For most pools 1.5 hours of mining per year isn't a lot of blocks. While I'm pretty sure this would be of help and not do any harm, the benefit probably doesn't outweigh the effort of implementing this, which is why it has just stayed an idea.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:22:11 AM

This discussion has been hashed out time and time again so there is no reason to continue it here. Suffice to say, you cannot build on blocks relayed to you by the relay network any more than you can on blocks sent to you from a random peer on the p2p network.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 10:39:06 AM

This discussion has been hashed out time and time again so there is no reason to continue it here. Suffice to say, you cannot build on blocks relayed to you by the relay network any more than you can on blocks sent to you from a random peer on the p2p network.

Of course you can. It's a game of probabilities. The probability that your mining effort produces a block that ends up on the blockchain versus the probability that you produce a block that does not (orphaned, invalid, doesn't matter). If you reduce the orphan rate a little at the cost of possibly increasing the invalid rate an extremely tiny bit, then the end result improves. Mining invalid data and orphaned blocks is the same: you end up with nothing.

But even a big pool will only save a couple blocks per year, so it is perhaps not worth discussing further.

I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

There were a few major updates and both clients should update...The java client had a rather dumb bug that prevented it from relying outgoing blocks, though it received them fine...the python client was, as is all python, so horrendously non-performant that even a network rtt for a inv->getdata->block process to be faster. With some minor effort the python client now should reliably beat network rtts (seriously python???), though I'd advise using the java client where possible.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 05:57:46 PM

Damn that java - I just uninstalled it too........

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:02:35 PM

Damn that java - I just uninstalled it too........
Well, if you really wanted the python version you could use Jython, but then you're stuck with java anyway...I may benchmark pypy later and see if it helps but early testing shows its ~as fast.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Really? That surprises me, I've never used pypy but have heard it's much faster than std python.......

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:09:48 PM

Really? That surprises me, I've never used pypy but have heard it's much faster than std python.......
Well, its a JIT, and my tests may simply not have been long-running enough to give it sufficient warm-up time.

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1355

nec sine labore

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:51:30 PM

Well, its a JIT, and my tests may simply not have been long-running enough to give it sufficient warm-up time.

Hi,

I came to the same conclusions running p2pool long ago on pypy, it is as fast as python.

See here, for example.

spiccioli
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 10:07:28 PM

There were a few major updates and both clients should update...The java client had a rather dumb bug that prevented it from relying outgoing blocks, though it received them fine...the python client was, as is all python, so horrendously non-performant that even a network rtt for a inv->getdata->block process to be faster. With some minor effort the python client now should reliably beat network rtts (seriously python???), though I'd advise using the java client where possible.
Upgraded, thanks. I did notice messages in both directions now instead of before on the java client.

-ck
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:03:42 AM

There is now a C++ client. Those who had been using the python client should probably switch to it (its semantics are identical, it runs on Linux and under Wine, so I assume Windows) and it is much, much faster than the python client.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 10:07:21 AM

Great stuff Matt! Testing now....... Smiley

jedimstr

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:37:13 PM

There is now a C++ client. Those who had been using the python client should probably switch to it (its semantics are identical, it runs on Linux and under Wine, so I assume Windows) and it is much, much faster than the python client.

Any chance you or someone else could port/compile/brew a Mac C++ version?

I tried porting and compiling myself but all the includes FUBAR'd the attempt. Or, I just need more coffee before I try again.

Been running the Java client for awhile now, but can we get the jar added to the Git Repository too alongside the other clients? It'll make keeping up-to-date much easier.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:45:30 PM

Any chance you or someone else could port/compile/brew a Mac C++ version?

I tried porting and compiling myself but all the includes FUBAR'd the attempt. Or, I just need more coffee before I try again.
Hmm, yea, I assume one or more of the socket calls isnt right? I didnt try it on any BSD. Also, it needs C++11, so if the version of clang OSX ships is particularly out-of-date it may fail there too...I'm happy to help test it if you can get me a list of compile errors.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

Been running the Java client for awhile now, but can we get the jar added to the Git Repository too alongside the other clients? It'll make keeping up-to-date much easier.
Done.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 09:14:05 PM

Is there a maven repo I need to add to build the java client? It's not finding the required bitcoinj version.

Code:
Missing:
----------
1) com.google:bitcoinj:jar:0.12-SNAPSHOT_nodelay

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:31:56 PM

Is there a maven repo I need to add to build the java client? It's not finding the required bitcoinj version.

Code:
Missing:
----------
1) com.google:bitcoinj:jar:0.12-SNAPSHOT_nodelay

If you're building the java client direct from source, it wants the branch at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bitcoinj/tree/nodelay. The only real difference is it sets TCP_NODELAY.

IYFTech

Activity: 686

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:44:37 PM

Hi Matt,

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I was looking at your git repo & noticed you've worked on TextSecure. I've been using it for several weeks now - it's great work! Well done & kudos to you  Smiley

Sorry guys, carry on....... Wink

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 07:04:15 PM

If you're building the java client direct from source, it wants the branch at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bitcoinj/tree/nodelay. The only real difference is it sets TCP_NODELAY.

Got it. Had to add _nodelay to the version in core/pom.xml so the RelayClient would find it after "mvn install". Strangely the tests for bitcoinj fail if you run them twice without "mvn clean". At least they did for me. But I guess that's a problem with the tests, not the library itself.

Perhaps it's an idea for pools to set up direct peering? Could shave off a little time.

Is it OK to pass new blocks directly to the RelayNodeClient instead of passing them through the local bitcoind ? Could shave off a little bit more time.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:16:30 AM

Got it. Had to add _nodelay to the version in core/pom.xml so the RelayClient would find it after "mvn install". Strangely the tests for bitcoinj fail if you run them twice without "mvn clean". At least they did for me. But I guess that's a problem with the tests, not the library itself.

Perhaps it's an idea for pools to set up direct peering? Could shave off a little time.

Is it OK to pass new blocks directly to the RelayNodeClient instead of passing them through the local bitcoind ? Could shave off a little bit more time.

If you used that branch it should already have had _nodelay added to its version number (and you should probably use that branch of your OS may hold onto data before relaying it for some time).

re: direct peering: sure, pools could do this (most already do afaiu).

Sure, no harm in passing a block out quickly, but this is also why you should treat blocks that come from the relay network identically as some arbitrary blocks you get from an unknown source on the p2p network. See, for example, the for-w branch at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/tree/for-w/client which I whipped up for another poolop so that they could peer a single relay network client with a ton of local pool daemons and have it properly route blocks that come in from the relay network to their bitcoind and from one of their pool daemons to all the other pool daemons and the relay network all at once.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 09:36:31 PM

If you used that branch it should already have had _nodelay added to its version number (and you should probably use that branch of your OS may hold onto data before relaying it for some time).

Sorry, I forgot to switch to the nodelay branch.

re: direct peering: sure, pools could do this (most already do afaiu).

Yeah, but I meant with the relay software, running a RelayNode instead of a RelayClientNode. Not sure how much there is to save there, but there may be something.

norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 08:28:32 AM

I've downloaded the exe client and am running it with "D:\Temp\relay\relaynetworkclient.exe public.au.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333" but I just get the following:

Closing bitcoind socket, failed to connect() (10049: Unknown error)
Closing relay socket, failed to connect() (10049: Unknown error)

What am I doing wrong?

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 08:45:31 PM

I've downloaded the exe client and am running it with "D:\Temp\relay\relaynetworkclient.exe public.au.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333" but I just get the following:

What am I doing wrong?

10049 == WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740668(v=vs.85).aspx. Any chance you're still on XP or have IPv6 explicitly disabled somewhere, which I think I might have broken in a recent push.

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 09:01:51 PM

What am I doing wrong?

10049 == WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740668(v=vs.85).aspx. Any chance you're still on XP or have IPv6 explicitly disabled somewhere, which I think I might have broken in a recent push.
It's server 2012 r2. I don't think ipv6 is disabled but I'll check.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
norgan

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 09:13:14 PM

What am I doing wrong?

It was disabled. Now its enabled but not configured and I still get the same error. I left it running overnight and it started blocking my bitcoind connection and took my node offline.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 11:14:55 PM

It was disabled. Now its enabled but not configured and I still get the same error. I left it running overnight and it started blocking my bitcoind connection and took my node offline.
Might've missed a windows flag, try again with the latest version?

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 11:37:08 PM

Might've missed a windows flag, try again with the latest version?

Yup, working now. So I just run it along side p2pool and bitcoind right?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:22:02 AM

Yup, working now. So I just run it along side p2pool and bitcoind right?
Yupyup, just run and point to nearest relay node and bitcoind.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 02:02:29 AM

Added a list of pools to the second post, respond if you want added to the list.

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 07:19:13 AM

Added a list of pools to the second post, respond if you want added to the list.

Norgzpool AU pool now running relay. will add to Singapore node as well shortly.

Matt, do you need an Australian server? I have a 50mbit Fibre link that I could run a server behind, in the next month or two i'll have some Azure compute in AU also.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 09:01:55 AM

Norgzpool AU pool now running relay. will add to Singapore node as well shortly.

Matt, do you need an Australian server? I have a 50mbit Fibre link that I could run a server behind, in the next month or two i'll have some Azure compute in AU also.
Hmm, for now I think I'm gonna avoid listing every public p2pool node or pools without at least a few hundred THash/s mining on them.

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 09:04:49 AM

Hmm, for now I think I'm gonna avoid listing every public p2pool node or pools without at least a few hundred THash/s mining on them.

yeah fair enough, I looked at the list after and realised it was more pools rather than nodes. no probs.

smoothrunnings

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:58:10 AM

What am I doing wrong?

Disable the firewall.
norgan

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 01:02:08 AM

What am I doing wrong?

Disable the firewall.

nah it was a broken build. the firewall was off Smiley

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 04:10:18 AM

So far so good! 4 good blocks no orphan and no stale. (small I know) it's been tricky in AU to find good peers to reduce orphan blocks but this may be a good way to bring some of that latency.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 02:41:07 PM

Hey Matt,

I ran into a problem running the c++ client today.  I did a git pull and rebuilt; however, when I started it up, I ran into this:
Code:
miner@devildog:~/RelayNode/client$ ./relaynetworkclient public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::system_error'
  what():  Enable multithreading to use std::thread: Operation not permitted
Aborted (core dumped)

I had to tweak the make.sh script as follows:
Code:
g++ $DEFINES -std=c++11 -Wl,--no-as-needed -Wall -I. -I/usr/include ./client.cpp ./flaggedarrayset.cpp ./utils.cpp ./p2pclient.cpp ./crypto/sha2.cpp -o relaynetworkclient -pthread

Notice the inclusion of the "-Wl,--no-as-needed".  There's apparently a known bug with gcc and Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-defaults/+bug/1228201.

Anyway, if anyone is having an issue getting the c++ client running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, editing the make.sh script as I have above, and recompiling the client will solve your problems.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 08:03:47 PM

Anyone know if Btcguild is running a relay node? 
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 08:06:31 PM

Anyone know if Btcguild is running a relay node? 
Read the second post Wink

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:28:35 PM

what port does relaynetwork use?
8335 or 8336?
norgan

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 11:42:06 PM

Matt, looks like you have an issue with the SG node.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:58:31 AM

8335 or 8336?

Strange, can you double-check now...there was a bug due to bitcoind banning relay servers...

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 05:59:28 AM

8335 or 8336?

Strange, can you double-check now...there was a bug due to bitcoind banning relay servers...

looks fine now, thanks.

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:54:43 AM

What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting this too with the windows exe client on Win7.  It eventually killed my TCP/IP stack, all programs were getting TCP/IP errors until I killed the relay client.

Going back to the python version here.

M

norgan

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 10:02:54 AM

What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting this too with the windows exe client on Win7.  It eventually killed my TCP/IP stack, all programs were getting TCP/IP errors until I killed the relay client.

M
It was a broken build, have you tried the latest? Also try disabling ipv6

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:43:45 AM

What am I doing wrong?

M
It was a broken build, have you tried the latest? Also try disabling ipv6

I got it from github, I assume it's the latest.

M

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:23:54 PM

Nevermind.  I forgot my bitcoin port isn't default, so it was pounding 8333 and there wasn't anything there to respond.

Smiley

M

simdude

Activity: 88

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 11:54:22 AM

I love this concept. I start running the windows version on my windows based p2pool. If you get around to building a exe for relay enabled p2pool i would love to test it out.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 02:18:36 PM

Having issues with the c++ client receiving anything in the last day connecting to us-west without any other changes. Tried restarting and getting repeated
Code:
Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (104: Connection reset by peer)

-ck
IYFTech

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:20:33 PM

Having issues with the c++ client receiving anything in the last day connecting to us-west without any other changes. Tried restarting and getting repeated
Code:
Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (104: Connection reset by peer)

The eu server is working well - have you tried that one?  Smiley

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 04:56:43 PM

Code:

Hmm, I dont see anything in my logs...Is it working now and/or can you pm me the IP you're connecting from?

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

Code:

Hmm, I dont see anything in my logs...Is it working now and/or can you pm me the IP you're connecting from?
It's still there. I've PMed you where from.

EDIT: It just started working again. Beats me  Huh

-ck
Matt Corallo

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:01:22 PM

EDIT: It just started working again. Beats me  Huh

I was fuxing with it.

simdude

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:39:45 AM

I am still getting the Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (10054: Unknown error)
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:12:09 AM

I am still getting the Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (10054: Unknown error)
What node are you connecting to? All nodes seem to be working from here. If you are connect multiple times from the same external IP, this is expected behavior as having multiple connections will decrease your relay time by a huge margin because, in my tests, the most important thing is packet loss requiring extra RTTs for TCP retransmits (if you're behind ISP level NAT I think I can just flip the switch on IPv6 for most of the nodes, just need to actually test the clients to make sure they wont flip).

simdude

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:47:06 AM

Hello,

public.us-east
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:57:38 AM

public.us-east

us-east and us-west work right now as I see
(us-west had some troubles in the past)
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:55:42 PM

public.us-east
I dont see any issues there, can you PM me the IP you're connecting from?

norgan

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 10:05:22 AM

Seeing issues on the sg node again. Had to change to west-us

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:26:42 AM

Seeing issues on the sg node again. Had to change to west-us

us-west does not work from my side right now
I use us-east
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 08:51:09 PM

Ugh, yes, there appear to have been some issues that went unnoticed over the past week or so, should be all good now and I'm monitoring for further hiccups until I can go in and debug a bit more.

norgan

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:28:20 AM

Ugh, yes, there appear to have been some issues that went unnoticed over the past week or so, should be all good now and I'm monitoring for further hiccups until I can go in and debug a bit more.
au/sg working now.

Would there be any negative impact of running two relays to two different relay servers? so if one went down the other would still relay blocks...

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:32:01 AM

au/sg working now.

Would there be any negative impact of running two relays to two different relay servers? so if one went down the other would still relay blocks...
Seems several servers were all hit with the same bug at nearly the same time. Still need to look into it, but for this case, it appears that would not have helped. Still, no, that would probably not be a negative.

spin

Activity: 360

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:40:14 PM

Under the C++ folder I see a make script for 5 components (including a windows client).  I am happy with how the client is used and managed to get it going.

Can you perhaps share how the other components could be used to build a relay network? I am not really proficient at reading c++.

My guesses:
relaynetworkproxy -> Connects two relay nodes (both on port 8336).
relaynetworkterminator -> Seems to provide the 8334 and 8335 tx and block only feeds?
relaynetworkoutbound -> Connects a bitcoind and a something on port 8334?
relaynetworkserver -> connects to a trusted bitcoind? Also serves clients?  Also connects to something local on port 8334? I kept getting connection refused to the local bitcoind when I ran it.

Happy to assist with a readme on your github if needs be.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
194YjsiwmGm3hcbPcJWWyzRAS9CQLX1fJL
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:54:21 PM

Under the C++ folder I see a make script for 5 components (including a windows client).  I am happy with how the client is used and managed to get it going.

Can you perhaps share how the other components could be used to build a relay network? I am not really proficient at reading c++.

My guesses:
relaynetworkproxy -> Connects two relay nodes (both on port 8336).
relaynetworkterminator -> Seems to provide the 8334 and 8335 tx and block only feeds?
relaynetworkoutbound -> Connects a bitcoind and a something on port 8334?
relaynetworkserver -> connects to a trusted bitcoind? Also serves clients?  Also connects to something local on port 8334? I kept getting connection refused to the local bitcoind when I ran it.

Happy to assist with a readme on your github if needs be.

proxy/terminator are correct.
outbound connects to terminator on 8334 and a remote (untrusted) bitcoind.
server connects to a trusted bitcoind to decide which txn to relay, connects to terminator to get/private a data feed from untrusted bitcoinds and also listens on 8336 for relay clients.

naplam

Activity: 252

Coin Developer - CrunchPool.com operator

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 09:16:05 PM

Code:
Same here with us-east now. Us-west seems to work fine at this time.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:34:30 PM

Now?

norgan

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 07:57:17 AM

Now?
yup same with Singapore node. both my p2pool nodes have out of cache errors as well.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 09:00:11 AM

EU node trotting along nicely.......

spin

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:18:19 PM

So to build a relaynetwork between two nodes one could do the following:

Node 1: 10.0.0.1
bitcoind
relaynetworkserver
relaynetworkproxy 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

Node 2: 10.0.0.2
bitcoind
relaynetworkserver 127.0.0.1 8333

On node 2 I could also just run the relaynetworkclient also.
On node 1 (or 2) I could also add a relaynetworkproxy 127.0.0.1  public.REGION.relay.mattcorallo.com to connect to your network?

Questions:
Would the server also updated the local bitcoind with new tx/blocks?
Do I need the terminator at each node also?  The servers shows less errors when it is running?
Also let me know if you are not happy with me trying this out.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:03:37 PM

yup same with Singapore node. both my p2pool nodes have out of cache errors as well.
Seems to be a bug when run for too long they start disconnecting new peers with that...I'm trying to figure out why, but, for now, they should all work atm.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:07:06 PM

So to build a relaynetwork between two nodes one could do the following:

Node 1: 10.0.0.1
bitcoind
relaynetworkserver
relaynetworkproxy 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

Node 2: 10.0.0.2
bitcoind
relaynetworkserver 127.0.0.1 8333

On node 2 I could also just run the relaynetworkclient also.
On node 1 (or 2) I could also add a relaynetworkproxy 127.0.0.1  public.REGION.relay.mattcorallo.com to connect to your network?

Questions:
Would the server also updated the local bitcoind with new tx/blocks?
Do I need the terminator at each node also?  The servers shows less errors when it is running?
Also let me know if you are not happy with me trying this out.

Why not just run two relay node clients from your different nodes? If they're on the same network (or very close to each other, ie you can just be running a regular bitcoin p2p connection between them, try the branch at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/tree/for-w, which has code to connect to multiple local mining pool instances and relay between them and to the relay network, with a full bitcoind receiving blocks/txn from the network.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 08:51:58 PM

Will new versions of the relay client be announced somewhere? (here maybe?)

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 09:02:33 PM

Will new versions of the relay client be announced somewhere? (here maybe?)
Major updates will, yes.

norgan

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 02:48:33 AM

Seems to be a bug when run for too long they start disconnecting new peers with that...I'm trying to figure out why, but, for now, they should all work atm.

it seems to cause p2pool to fall over as well. thats anecdotal of course so can't say for sure but the syptoms seem to line up on both nodes.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 03:53:16 AM

it seems to cause p2pool to fall over as well. thats anecdotal of course so can't say for sure but the syptoms seem to line up on both nodes.
This one makes no sense...The way it was integrated into p2pool was to just kick off a thread and let it connect to bitcoind (not even to p2pool). Unless it hung python or hung your bitcoind, I dont see how this is possible.

norgan

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 03:55:13 AM

This one makes no sense...The way it was integrated into p2pool was to just kick off a thread and let it connect to bitcoind (not even to p2pool). Unless it hung python or hung your bitcoind, I dont see how this is possible.
yeah liek i said anecdotal, i wanted to be clear on that. I'll do some more testing.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 09:25:18 AM

Running of the c++ client now fails to run on linux due to the position of the -pthread linking with the error:
Code:
what():  Enable multithreading to use std::thread: Operation not permitte

Repositioning the -pthread here makes it work:
Code:
g++ -std=c++11 -Wall -I. -I/usr/include ./client.cpp -pthread ./flaggedarrayset.cpp ./utils.cpp ./p2pclient.cpp ./crypto/sha2.cpp -o relaynetworkclient

Probably should at least add -O2 to default build too

-ck
naplam

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 12:15:04 PM

Are you hitting the maximum sockets limit or something? maybe you could restart them automatically every day or so for the time being

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:31:25 AM

Are you hitting the maximum sockets limit or something? maybe you could restart them automatically every day or so for the time being
No, the issue y'all are seeing is that, if the thread handling the trusted bitcoind hangs or otherwise dies, it cant do its async connection reaping and, thus, people get disconnected as duplicate connections from the same IP if their connection gets reset somehow...Of course to fix this I need to actually figure out why its hanging/deadlocking/dying...

Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:43:43 AM

Running of the c++ client now fails to run on linux due to the position of the -pthread linking with the error:
Code:

Code:
g++ -std=c++11 -Wall -I. -I/usr/include ./client.cpp -pthread ./flaggedarrayset.cpp ./utils.cpp ./p2pclient.cpp ./crypto/sha2.cpp -o relaynetworkclient

Huh? Which branch are you building from???
Master is https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/blob/master/c%2B%2B/make.sh which (unless you run with ./make test) has DEFINES set to -O2 and -flto, and -pthread is before any code?

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 02:47:30 AM

Code:

Code:

Huh? Which branch are you building from???
Master is https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/blob/master/c%2B%2B/make.sh which (unless you run with ./make test) has DEFINES set to -O2 and -flto, and -pthread is before any code?
Oops, I didn't spot the defines. However -pthread has to be after client.cpp for it to work.

-ck
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 03:08:44 AM

Oops, I didn't spot the defines. However -pthread has to be after client.cpp for it to work.
Oh after, ok, willdo.

naplam

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 11:23:01 AM

yep, -phread after works

Paladin45

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:56:31 PM

I'm trying this with P2Pool and Armory, Linux Mint 17 64-bit. I'm seeing "Unable to resolve relay peer hostname" messages in the terminal window. Are these errors or normal operation?
Matt Corallo

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:49:42 PM

I'm trying this with P2Pool and Armory, Linux Mint 17 64-bit. I'm seeing "Unable to resolve relay peer hostname" messages in the terminal window. Are these errors or normal operation?
Sounds like you mis-typed the relay node server (or your DNS is messed up)?

Paladin45

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 09:12:58 PM

Sounds like you mis-typed the relay node server (or your DNS is messed up)?

Yep. I missed the "relay" in the address string. Checked it a couple of times before I posted, but missed both times. Thank you!
spin

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:06:27 PM

Getting lots of
Code:
Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (0: )

On the EU node.  us-east working fine for me.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 06:55:38 PM

Getting lots of
Code:

On the EU node.  us-east working fine for me.

Yup, same here with the EU node.......

naplam

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 07:15:33 PM

I decided to connect to two nodes and forget about it. One will usually be working...

roshii

Activity: 30

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:04:37 PM

Yup, same here with the EU node.......

same issue for two days now, I'll switch to us-east this evening
kano
Legendary

Activity: 2296

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:02:52 PM

Getting socket errors every so often on the us-west here.

(the main issue with this is that it just sits there stalled for quite a while until it spits out the socket error message)

Pool: https://kano.is Here on Bitcointalk: Forum BTC: 1KanoPb8cKYqNrswjaA8cRDk4FAS9eDMLU
FreeNode IRC: irc.freenode.net channel #kano.is Majority developer of the ckpool code
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with full block verification on all blocks - and NO empty blocks!
PatMan

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 07:12:03 PM

Some kind of auto-switching to a working/fastest/less loaded server would be invaluable too......?

kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:20:25 AM

Getting socket errors every so often on the us-west here.

(the main issue with this is that it just sits there stalled for quite a while until it spits out the socket error message)
Seems to be all OK now - no errors in my screen scroll back buffer (which is about 20 minutes) but there were regular ones last night.
I have 2 nodes, current pool and where I'm moving it, and they are both now putting out messages in sync.

Pool: https://kano.is Here on Bitcointalk: Forum BTC: 1KanoPb8cKYqNrswjaA8cRDk4FAS9eDMLU
FreeNode IRC: irc.freenode.net channel #kano.is Majority developer of the ckpool code
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with full block verification on all blocks - and NO empty blocks!
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 11:45:14 AM

Some sort of oversize error (repeatedly) going on at the moment.

Getting this each time:
"Closing relay socket, got freely relayed transaction too large (0: )"
after a whole lot of txns (including some > 25k in size)
(about every 20s)

A ddos?

Edit: 20 minutes later still happening.
The main issue with it is that it's passing all the spam to bitcoind that's then rejecting it all.
Anyone know what's going on?

Looks like I'm gonna have to stop my relay Sad

Edit2:
Yep had to kill it:
2014-10-26 12:04:25 Misbehaving: 127.0.0.1:45659 (10200 -> 10300) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED
2014-10-26 12:04:25 Warning: not banning local node 127.0.0.1:45659!

Since the relay is local, bitcoind wont ignore it.

Edit3:
Restarted the relay and the spammer has gone now.

roshii

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:44:56 PM

us-east did not work for long and shows same issue as eu 's one since about this morning
us-west working correctly

Code:
Connected to bitcoind with version 70002
Finished connect handshake with bitcoind
Closing relay socket, failed to read message header (10054: Unknown error)
roshii

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 07:04:32 AM

eu server is back online Smiley
galenecrosby

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:32:35 PM

Many of you have likely seen the recent discussions on the P2Pool thread and the post on the foundation blog about the relay network.

It exists as a way for pool operators (and all miners, though not hashers) to get their blocks relayed quickly across a separate network both as a backup to the P2P network and as a quicker way to get the latest blocks as it skips relaying transactions which have already been seen. Thus, if you're a miner anywhere from a small p2pool miner to a large pool, you should be running one of the relay network clients.

You can see more information about its original goals and its original announcement here

Current connection information is as follows:

The relay network's domains are designed to be a bit aggressive to allow for future growth and are laid out by region. The regions are us-east, us-west, eu, sgp, au, jpy, and hk (ie North East US, West Coast US, Western Europe, Singapore, Australia, Japan and Hong Kong). Currently, several regions map to the same set of nodes (all of the asian ones are currently hosted in Singapore), but in the future hopefully things will be more distributed so that you can get nodes closest to your bitcoinds.

You should use the Java relay network client available at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/raw/master/client/RelayNodeClient.jar or the C++ client at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/tree/master/client. This will connect using a specialized protocol which will skip relaying transactions which you have already heard about, saving significant bandwidth (and time).

Note that a version of p2pool with a python client integrated directly is available at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/p2pool

To connect to the relay nodes, you should run RelayNetworkClient.jar or relaynetworkclient with the parameters public.REGION.relay.mattcorallo.com followed by your local bitcoind's address.

eg
$ java -jar ./RelayNodeClient.jar public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1:8333
or
$ ./relaynetworkclient public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333

If you are a large pool, you should go to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UL82QdcXXEhZwSHJAK04Sk_cWg4zLOu8a216nO7Mt8c/viewform to sign up to get a private token which will be used in case of DoS, allowing the relay network to split into private and public parts.

Further details:
 * The relay nodes do some data verification to prevent DoS, but in order to keep relay fast, they do not fully verify the data they are
relaying, thus YOU SHOULD NEVER mine a block building on top of a relayed block without fully checking it with your own bitcoin validator (as you would any other block relayed from the P2P network).
 * The relay nodes all relay among themselves very quickly, so there is no advantage to peering with more than one, in fact, the increased incoming bandwidth during block relay spikes may result in higher latency for your nodes. Please only connect to relay nodes in your region (with multiple peers, one per bitcoind, if you have bitcoinds in multiple regions).
 * The relay nodes are NOT designed to ensure that you never miss data, and may fail to relay some transactions. The relay nodes are NOT a replacement for having peers on the standard P2P network.

You can find the source for the relay nodes at https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode

If you have any comments/concerns/suggestions, please do not hesitate to ping me on IRC (BlueMatt on freenode).

Im also running a relay node client and it need a huge bandwidth..thanks for sharing to us this amazing and infomative post matt!!
jedimstr

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:09:31 PM

US East Coast relay seems to be down.  West is fine.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:15:08 PM

Confirmed east=down/west=fine from my side
Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 05:39:37 PM

Ugh, yea, I think it ran out of fds, but I'm adding a bit more logging to be sure...It has been restarted and is working now, but I'll watch for further issues.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 07:06:28 AM

We now have an Australian node! Those of you already using the 'au' region should (at max) simply need to restart your client to connect to it, otherwise switch to the au region. Thanks to forum member norgan for providing the server.

MissouriMiner

Activity: 173

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 06:15:00 AM

EDIT - It's working.  Dumb newbie (rushing) mistake. Smiley   I forgot to open 8336 outbound on my firewall (iptables).

I have a couple of newbie questions.  (I've been running p2pool for a long time, but not your relay client.)

How do we verify the client is working?  
 - I already had p2pool running, and ran "./relaynetworkclient public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333" in a separate screen session.
 - I see "Closing relay socket, failed to connect() (110: Connection timed out)" every so often, but this appears to be normal based on forum discussion.

Do I need to port forward 8336?  
If yes, can I specify a different port?

norgan

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 08:55:46 PM

Hey Matt, Aussie node is playing up.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 08:58:41 PM

Hey Matt, Aussie node is playing up.
Indeed, it appears the host decided to reboot the server without warning (WTF?) and it didnt come back up properly.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 10:29:38 PM

Sigh,
seems like another relay ddos.
Lots of txns over a short period of time followed by

Happening repeatedly.

PatMan

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

Yup, EU relay has gone bonkers too - switching off for the time being  Sad

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 11:57:30 PM

Sigh,

Happening repeatedly.
This is not a dos, this is a bug. Specifically, this one. (Fixed now).

kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:56:46 PM

Sigh,

Happening repeatedly.
Oh nice Smiley
Bugs are better (IMO) than a ddos, coz there's a definite fix for it Smiley
Updated.
Thanks.

norgan

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2014, 10:30:11 PM

Sigh,

Happening repeatedly.
Oh nice Smiley
Bugs are better (IMO) than a ddos, coz there's a definite fix for it Smiley
Updated.
Thanks.
sweet, can we have a new exe compiled please?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 10:58:28 PM

Dont need it, just a server-side bug.

chinesebob

Activity: 57

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:04:09 AM

How can I test whether running the relay client is actually benefiting me?  In 24 hours since starting it I have 4 shares in p2pool, 2 of which are orphaned, this is high compared to my previous 20 days.  I'm running bitcoind, p2pool, and relaynetworkclient all on the same system.
norgan

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 12:58:47 AM

Dont need it, just a server-side bug.

ah! cool, thanks mate.

norgan

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 12:59:23 AM

How can I test whether running the relay client is actually benefiting me?  In 24 hours since starting it I have 4 shares in p2pool, 2 of which are orphaned, this is high compared to my previous 20 days.  I'm running bitcoind, p2pool, and relaynetworkclient all on the same system.
it's just a matter of testing over time. It can't make things worse Wink

kano
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:20:40 AM

p2pool shares are unrelated to the relay client ...

spin

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:57:50 PM

Still some issues?

Code:
./relaynetworkclient public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333
Sent transaction of size 223 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 226 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 473 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 436 to relay server

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 03:40:59 AM

Still some issues?

Code:

That looks like you have multiple connections from the same IP (note that it takes up to 10 seconds before you can connect again after a disconnect, though I think most clients are set to reconnect every second).

spin

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 12:08:42 PM

Still some issues?

Code:

That looks like you have multiple connections from the same IP (note that it takes up to 10 seconds before you can connect again after a disconnect, though I think most clients are set to reconnect every second).

It somehow ends up in that state from time to time.  I only run one client (the defualt).  I guess it loses connection at some point and when it rapidly reconnects it get's banned/blocked by the relay server?

Can I change the reconnect interval in the client?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 06:11:16 PM

It somehow ends up in that state from time to time.  I only run one client (the defualt).  I guess it loses connection at some point and when it rapidly reconnects it get's banned/blocked by the relay server?

Does it not get back in after ~10 seconds? Getting reset a few times while trying to reconnect shouldnt hurt anything.

spin

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:58:35 PM

Does it not get back in after ~10 seconds? Getting reset a few times while trying to reconnect shouldnt hurt anything.

Not it doesn't.  It stays like that for as far back as my scroll back allows.  It doesn't receive txs during this time, but does try to send to the relay node.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:03:00 PM

Not it doesn't.  It stays like that for as far back as my scroll back allows.  It doesn't receive txs during this time, but does try to send to the relay node.
You should pm me your ip, I cant reproduce.

jedimstr

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 04:25:11 AM

Looks like East Coast Relay is down again... had to connect to the West Coast one.

OverHash

Activity: 42

OverHash.com Admin

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 11:32:26 PM

The following pools (in alphabetical order) are known to use the C++ Relay Network Client (and, thus, will likely see slightly lower orphan rates):

• P2Pool: If you're running your own P2Pool node you can (and should) absolutely run the client locally connected directly to your bitcoind. Also, many publicly hosted P2Pool nodes run the client as well.
  • Bitminter
  • BTCGuild
  • ckpool/hashmine.io
  • Eligius

If you are a pool operator and are running the C++ (or Java) client on or near your bitcoinds, please find me on IRC or PM me to get added to this list.

Hi Matt Corallo,

If possible would you be able to add OverHash.com to the list of pools as we are running the C++ client for our pool.

OverHash.com - For all your Crypto Needs!
Matt Corallo

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:48:42 PM

Hi Matt Corallo,

If possible would you be able to add OverHash.com to the list of pools as we are running the C++ client for our pool.
As noted previously, I'm not gonna add pools to that list that dont have at least a few dozen TH on them.

OverHash

Activity: 42

OverHash.com Admin

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 11:50:07 PM

As noted previously, I'm not gonna add pools to that list that dont have at least a few dozen TH on them.

Ah okay, that's fair enough. Sorry should have read a bit more thoroughly.

Thanks for designing the relay though Smiley

OverHash.com - For all your Crypto Needs!
entr04y

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:38:46 PM

I'm getting this in the output:

Code:

Received transaction of size 226 from relay server
Received transaction of size 373 from relay server
Closing bitcoind socket with 127.0.0.1, failed to read message header (104: Connection reset by peer)
Closing bitcoind socket with 127.0.0.1, failed to read message header (0: )

I'm not seeing any errors in my bitcoin debug log, and the port is open on the server.  I'm running the latest bitcoind and I pulled the relay client from github this morning (its the c++ version on linux)

edit: I'm starting the relay client like so:

Code:

./relaynetworkclient public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333

I saw some other people were getting similar messages on the relay, but not on bitcoind.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Matt Corallo

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:24:08 PM

Code:
Closing bitcoind socket with 127.0.0.1, failed to read message header (104: Connection reset by peer)

I'm not seeing any errors in my bitcoin debug log, and the port is open on the server.  I'm running the latest bitcoind and I pulled the relay client from github this morning (its the c++ version on linux)

Have you checked wireshark on your loopback interface, and are you sure bitcoind is listening on loopback and not only on your non-localhost address(es)?

entr04y

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:43:09 PM

Code:

Have you checked wireshark on your loopback interface, and are you sure bitcoind is listening on loopback and not only on your non-localhost address(es)?

I just double checked that and it is listening on both ipv4 and ipv6.  If I telnet to the port using localhost it connects and then immediately closes the connection. 

then the penny dropped:  maxconnections is set to 20 in my bitcoin.conf and guess how many peers I have connected? Wink
spin

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 07:38:38 AM

You should pm me your ip, I cant reproduce.
Will do when it happens again.  Won't restart then either.

IYFTech

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:07:57 PM

Is the relay network down? I can't connect to any of the different nodes.......

entr04y

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:23:05 PM

My instance of the relay client seems to be working happily...
IYFTech

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:42:16 PM

Edit: Seems the issue was at my end. My apologies  Wink

norgan

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 11:25:20 AM

Hi Matt, got an issue on the Aussie node. Unable to read message header

Matt Corallo

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 12:13:06 AM

Hi Matt, got an issue on the Aussie node. Unable to read message header
Ugh, sorry I missed this...should be fixed now Sad

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1355

nec sine labore

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 11:17:34 AM

Hi Matt,

I'm getting tons of these on eu node with java client

Code:
Dec 21, 2014 12:15:33 PM com.google.bitcoin.net.ConnectionHandler handleKeyWrite
SEVERE: Error handling SelectionKey write: null
Dec 21, 2014 12:15:35 PM com.google.bitcoin.net.NioClientManager handleKey
INFO: Successfully connected to public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com/146.185.173.241:8336
Connected to relay peer!
Dec 21, 2014 12:15:35 PM com.google.bitcoin.net.ConnectionHandler handleKeyRead
SEVERE: Error handling SelectionKey read: Connection reset by peer

No problems using us-east.

Best regards

spiccioli
Matt Corallo

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 09:11:09 PM

I'm getting tons of these on eu node with java client
Ugh, yea...there are, I think, three known issues now with the server-side stuff. Sadly its been on the backburner so the servers just keep getting restarted instead of fixed (luckily clients reconnect quickly and it doesnt really matter), but I should have some time in the next week to catch up on the technical debt on the server-side.

jedimstr

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 07:53:24 PM

With Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 Release Candidate 1 out for testing, any potential gotcha's for Relay Clients?  I see in the release notes that there are quite a few header related changes.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 11:52:25 PM

With Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 Release Candidate 1 out for testing, any potential gotcha's for Relay Clients?  I see in the release notes that there are quite a few header related changes.
Without even looking, I'll say that the header will of course be backwards compatible.
The devs don't do hard forks.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 01:06:47 PM

Shouldnt be...Ive been running relay clients against master forever.

jedimstr

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 01:59:07 PM

Thanks Kano and Matt, just checking Smiley

Can never be too careful.  I'll probably still wait until the final release of 0.10.0 before switching though.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:39:19 AM

With Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 Release Candidate 1 out for testing, any potential gotcha's for Relay Clients?  I see in the release notes that there are quite a few header related changes.
with v0.10.0rc1 works charming Wink

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Matt Corallo

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:03:36 PM

With Bitcoin Core v0.10.0 Release Candidate 1 out for testing, any potential gotcha's for Relay Clients?  I see in the release notes that there are quite a few header related changes.
HAH! Now that I say that, it looks like there may actually be issues hiding here (specifically, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/5588 may be related). Anyway, if it is, its a bug in bitcoin core, to be fixed there.

jedimstr

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:33:38 PM

HAH! Now that I say that, it looks like there may actually be issues hiding here (specifically, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/5588 may be related). Anyway, if it is, its a bug in bitcoin core, to be fixed there.

Well, if it's an issue, better found now in the first RC than in the gold version right?

spin

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 10:41:30 AM

Matt, I've been having issues connecting again.  Both EU and US-east. That's after weeks of rock solid stability. 

IYFTech

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 06:39:29 PM

Matt, I've been having issues connecting again.  Both EU and US-east. That's after weeks of rock solid stability. 

EU server working fine here  Smiley

spin

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:07:43 PM

Matt, I've been having issues connecting again.  Both EU and US-east. That's after weeks of rock solid stability.  

EU server working fine here  Smiley

Yes, also now fine for me.

zvs
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

It gets this for me,

Closing bitcoind socket with nogleg, error during connect (101: Network is unreachable)
Closing bitcoind socket with nogleg, error during connect (101: Network is unreachable)

ofc ipv6 is unreachable, since I disabled it in sysctl.conf.  

it's the same thing as when bitcoind was screwed and wouldn't start when ipv6 was disabled

ed, oh, i let it run for a while longer and after the 10-15th try it stopped attempting ipv6

so working

ed: well, sort of.

Code:
Received transaction of size 472 from relay server
Received transaction of size 470 from relay server
Received transaction of size 616 from relay server
Received transaction of size 521 from relay server
Received transaction of size 191 from relay server
Received transaction of size 258 from relay server
Received transaction of size 434 from relay server
Received transaction of size 225 from relay server
Received transaction of size 438 from relay server
Received transaction of size 223 from relay server
Received transaction of size 437 from relay server
Received transaction of size 227 from relay server
Received transaction of size 470 from relay server
Received transaction of size 471 from relay server
Received transaction of size 436 from relay server

I guess it's a bit annoying, it is also opening up some godawful amount of ipv6 sockets

Code:
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54082               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54066               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54009               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54083               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54092               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54014               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54067               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54073               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54010               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54086               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54063               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54079               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54071               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54048               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54008               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54033               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54013               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54052               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54090               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54062               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54065               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54077               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54074               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54091               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54072               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54075               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54080               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz    ESTABLISHED 4226/relaynetworkcl
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54005               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54060               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54084               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54028               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54093               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54064               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54007               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54006               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54059               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54078               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54004               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54021               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54085               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54069               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54070               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54012               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54061               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54017               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54056               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54095               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54076               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54038               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54068               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54011               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54089               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54057               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54087               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54094               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54058               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54081               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54088               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54043               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:54015               ::1:8333                TIME_WAIT   -

I also have onlynet defined in my bitcoin.conf;

onlynet=ipv4

that is proper text is it not?

oh well.  i  put it on other machine with ipv6 activated, and now it looks like

Code:
Received transaction of size 1337 from relay server
Received transaction of size 437 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 191 to relay server
Received transaction of size 191 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 370 to relay server
Received transaction of size 370 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 584 to relay server
Received transaction of size 584 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 796 to relay server
Received transaction of size 796 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 225 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 472 to relay server
Received transaction of size 472 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 35985 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 192 to relay server
Received transaction of size 192 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 227 to relay server
Received transaction of size 227 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 615 to relay server
Received transaction of size 615 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 257 to relay server
Received transaction of size 257 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 403 to relay server
Received transaction of size 403 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 259 to relay server
Received transaction of size 259 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 405 to relay server
Received transaction of size 405 from relay server
Sent transaction of size 373 to relay server
Sent transaction of size 374 to relay server
Received transaction of size 374 from relay server

so it is essentially just sending transactions that I send it back to me.  how much bandwidth does this consume?

Dacentec Dedicated Servers (Lenoir, NC, USA) from $25/mo & Time4VPS Storage VPS' (Vilnius, Lithuania) from €18/qtr & Hetzner's serverbidding, from ~€20/mo -- had bitcoin nodes & p2pool (dacentec, hetzner) for several years on these.  Only two are affiliate links too, kek! -------  Feel free to join my G2A Goldmine Pyramid Scheme Team, or possibly even buy a Steam game from there.  Maybe.
Matt Corallo

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:22:50 PM

If you disable ipv6 in sysctl by removing all ipv6 support things are going to break. You need ipv6 support, though you dont need to have ipv6 configured (it just uses ipv6 sockets for ipv4 because doing both is way too much code complexity)

jedimstr

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:32:40 PM

East Coast US relay is spouting errors.  Using US West for now.

zvs
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 11:27:43 AM

If you disable ipv6 in sysctl by removing all ipv6 support things are going to break. You need ipv6 support, though you dont need to have ipv6 configured (it just uses ipv6 sockets for ipv4 because doing both is way too much code complexity)
Yah, had the

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

thing going on. 

Is there a method to get it to just relay blocks instead of blocks and transactions?  It doesn't accept connections to port 8334 anymore, is the only way to do it to modify the source?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 04:55:20 AM

Is there a method to get it to just relay blocks instead of blocks and transactions?  It doesn't accept connections to port 8334 anymore, is the only way to do it to modify the source?
That would defeat the purpose. It compresses blocks by pre-relaying transactions.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 05:32:17 AM

Had a quick look at this but couldn't see it was possible.
Would it be much effort to allow it to connect to multiple bitcoinds?
i.e. if you had 2 bitcoinds in a local network, have it talk to both directly
(having 2 local bitcoinds pointing at each other is crap slow and unreliable Tongue)

Matt Corallo

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:26:00 PM

Had a quick look at this but couldn't see it was possible.
Would it be much effort to allow it to connect to multiple bitcoinds?
i.e. if you had 2 bitcoinds in a local network, have it talk to both directly
(having 2 local bitcoinds pointing at each other is crap slow and unreliable Tongue)
The somewhat stale branch of https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/RelayNode/commits/for-w does exactly this. It should be an easy rebase.

MissouriMiner

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 11:06:33 PM

My relay connection is recently getting banned by bitcoind.  Two things have changed for my node.  The Linux host is now a VM, although with plenty of resources and running on SSD.  And I have recently upgraded bitcoind to v10.  The clock is synched via ntp and resources do not appear stressed. 

The messages below are from the bitcoind debug log.  192.168.44.100 is one of the local IP's.  relaynetworkclient runs on the same Linux VM as bitcoind.

2015-03-21 13:04:21 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-03-21 13:04:21 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-03-21 13:04:21 Misbehaving: 192.168.44.100:34761 (0 -> 100) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED
2015-03-21 13:04:22 connection from 192.168.44.100:38277 dropped (banned)

relaynetworkclient version below.  I did not re-compile after migrating the Linux host to a VM.
relaynetworkclient: ELF 64-bit LSB  executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=4460be497a8f032b9305ebcd951652a0fe0c29f4, stripped
spin

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 11:16:58 PM

You could whitelist the ip of the relayclient in your bitcoin.conf? It should really connect with 127.0.0.1 ip though, if it is running on the same machine.

jedimstr

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:48:56 AM

Getting connection resets from the East Coast Node again for the last day or so.  On West for now.

jedimstr

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:30:21 PM

East Coast still down Sad  (connection resets)

jedimstr

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:42:01 PM

So.... are the relays just not being maintained anymore?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:57:14 PM

So.... are the relays just not being maintained anymore?
No, they are...minimally. Sadly other things are taking precedance, but when I'm not travelling they do get restarted as things fall over Sad.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:06:25 PM

My relay connection is recently getting banned by bitcoind.  Two things have changed for my node.  The Linux host is now a VM, although with plenty of resources and running on SSD.  And I have recently upgraded bitcoind to v10.  The clock is synched via ntp and resources do not appear stressed. 

The messages below are from the bitcoind debug log.  192.168.44.100 is one of the local IP's.  relaynetworkclient runs on the same Linux VM as bitcoind.

2015-03-21 13:04:21 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-03-21 13:04:21 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-03-21 13:04:21 Misbehaving: 192.168.44.100:34761 (0 -> 100) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED
2015-03-21 13:04:22 connection from 192.168.44.100:38277 dropped (banned)

relaynetworkclient version below.  I did not re-compile after migrating the Linux host to a VM.
relaynetworkclient: ELF 64-bit LSB  executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=4460be497a8f032b9305ebcd951652a0fe0c29f4, stripped

Hmmmm....there seems to be a bug in the merkle tree parsing somewhere...I'll dig into it a bit later Sad. That said, you should probably be running on localhost anyway as a malicious actor could potentially get you to ban the relay client (though its not very possible to DoS very significantly over the relay network)

MissouriMiner

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 10:03:39 PM

I think something is wrong with us-east.  I'm pointed to us-west now, which is working fine for me.

With us-east, I get messages below.  My outbound transactions are working.

jedimstr

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:36:49 AM

I think something is wrong with us-east.  I'm pointed to us-west now, which is working fine for me.

With us-east, I get messages below.  My outbound transactions are working.

Well, both US East and US West are dead for me for the last few days.  Figured Matt was traveling per his post above so didn't complain.

Matt - Any chance you could just set both US East/West servers to just automatically restart every day at midnight or something?

Matt Corallo

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 01:39:23 AM

Well, both US East and US West are dead for me for the last few days.  Figured Matt was traveling per his post above so didn't complain.

Matt - Any chance you could just set both US East/West servers to just automatically restart every day at midnight or something?
Just fixed a bug which could cause the resets we've seen. Lets see what happens now.....

kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 10:32:45 PM

I rearranged my bitcoinds (10 days ago) and ended up with the relay using the external IP
(will fix it next time I restart bitcoind, don't like doing that too often)
Anyway, as a result it got itself banned - seems the relay had a lot of bad transactions 6 hours ago Sad

2015-04-07 16:01:35 Misbehaving: a.b.c.d:33466 (0 -> 10)
2015-04-07 16:25:06 Misbehaving: a.b.c.d:33466 (90 -> 100) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED

That's the first message in the 10 days, then only 24 minutes to hit the threshold Sad

Matt Corallo

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 01:13:36 PM

I rearranged my bitcoinds (10 days ago) and ended up with the relay using the external IP
Anyway, as a result it got itself banned - seems the relay had a lot of bad transactions 6 hours ago Sad

2015-04-07 16:25:06 Misbehaving: a.b.c.d:33466 (90 -> 100) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED

That's the first message in the 10 days, then only 24 minutes to hit the threshold Sad
Can you paste the log contents around those lines (ie why it got banned?)

kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 10:32:40 PM

Can you paste the log contents around those lines (ie why it got banned?)
Looks like it was these:
Code:
2015-04-07 16:23:53 ERROR: CheckTransaction() : vin empty
2015-04-07 16:23:53 ERROR: AcceptToMemoryPool: : CheckTransaction failed
I'll PM you more of the log

kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 11:26:49 PM

Had a lot of trouble with the relay over the past day.
Anyone else seeing problems with us-west?

And like at the moment, I seem to often be the only one sending data to the relay, not receiving anything from the relay.
... it suddenly comes back to life with a truck load of Receives for a very short time, but again now back to only me Sending

twebit

Activity: 85

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:54:20 AM

Had a lot of trouble with the relay over the past day.
Anyone else seeing problems with us-west?

And like at the moment, I seem to often be the only one sending data to the relay, not receiving anything from the relay.
... it suddenly comes back to life with a truck load of Receives for a very short time, but again now back to only me Sending

For me it was sometimes off. Other times saw an inflood of transactions.
Sorry to say I shut it down and moved to pool mining again but I have one question...

Why? if this is a relay, do we/I have to connect to what it says on the home page of this post. Rather connect to anyone? place or thing?
I don't understand much but can't there be other relays in the bunch other than the initial connect to "java -jar ./RelayNodeClient.jar public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1:8333" ? reliability seems to be not so much currently. No dis on Matt. But why is he the only one to initiate the relay "string" for lack of better word.
I've seen it where it goes down and you can't connect. Connect to another?
Just saying
Thanks
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 06:53:11 AM

Well I connected to east also and ... all the transactions sent to west came back on east Tongue
Each time one went out west another would come in on east the same size.
So yeah seems like there's some problems with the relay.

I do still see runs of receives (like just now as I write this after stopping east again) but they never last long.

Edit: heh - well it's finally acting OK now for the last 5 minutes Smiley
Lasted about an hour and a half or so.
But back to me only sending again (nothing received)

Edit: and it's back working OK again.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:28:54 AM

Looks like the relay is messed up at the moment.
It seems to be resending the last 1000+ blocks again ...

Its not really causing any problems but seeing so many ignored blocks arrive off the relay is a little disconcerting ...

kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:36:15 AM

Another problem with the relay today.

Invalid blocks were coming through for a while which actually resulted in drastically slowing down block acceptance.
I run multiple relays and multiple bitcoinds on multiple nodes so I was able to see that only the relay connected bitcoinds had the problem.

Here's a few (debug.log UTC)
The UpdateTip in each case is when the bitcoind 'later' got it from the net, not via the relay
Code:
2015-06-02 03:55:40 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-06-02 03:55:40 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-06-02 03:55:40 Misbehaving: 127.0.0.1:37844 (600 -> 700)
2015-06-02 03:55:42 UpdateTip: new best=000000000000000016f785f6c56856755d3fc89ca3ef005064ca10400872c421  height=359029  log2_work=82.873403  tx=70633458  date=2015-06-02 03:54:37 progress=0.999999  cache=5511

2015-06-02 03:56:40 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-06-02 03:56:40 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-06-02 03:56:40 Misbehaving: 127.0.0.1:46865 (500 -> 600)
2015-06-02 03:57:21 UpdateTip: new best=00000000000000000b3f90e0f60046423db6b2cac055f41290ae29f966433fc9  height=359030  log2_work=82.873437  tx=70633604  date=2015-06-02 03:56:13 progress=0.999999  cache=6156

2015-06-02 04:08:39 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-06-02 04:08:39 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-06-02 04:08:39 Misbehaving: 127.0.0.1:46865 (600 -> 700)
2015-06-02 04:08:42 CreateNewBlock(): total size 600611
2015-06-02 04:08:42 UpdateTip: new best=00000000000000000fa58e5a02b8676291bb491192a738a6d800f4bef296f3a8  height=359031  log2_work=82.87347  tx=70634550  date=2015-06-02 04:14:25 progress=1.000006  cache=8546
In the above case I was running both east and west relay connections (as you can see they came from both)

On the same node there's another bitcoind not connected to the relay and it was getting the same blocks at roughly the same time, but without errors.

However, on another node somewhere else on the planet also connected to the relay, I didn't get all of them, but only the last one:
Code:
2015-06-02 04:08:39 ERROR: CheckBlock() : hashMerkleRoot mismatch
2015-06-02 04:08:39 ERROR: ProcessNewBlock : CheckBlock FAILED
2015-06-02 04:08:39 Misbehaving: 127.0.0.1:45711 (0 -> 100) BAN THRESHOLD EXCEEDED
2015-06-02 04:08:39 Warning: not banning local peer 127.0.0.1:45711!
2015-06-02 04:08:39 UpdateTip: new best=00000000000000000fa58e5a02b8676291bb491192a738a6d800f4bef296f3a8  height=359031  log2_work=82.87347  tx=70634550  date=2015-06-02 04:14:25 progress=1.000006  cache=8074
2015-06-02 04:08:40 receive version message: /RelayNetworkClient:42/: version 70000, blocks=0, us=[::]:0, peer=4901, peeraddr=127.0.0.1:33197

Then it stopped after block 359031

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:16:36 PM

Sorry for this thread being completely dead over the past few weeks. I was working hard on this and then got distracted with Sidechain Elements Alpha release and the blocksize debate. In any case, I pushed a series of updates yesterday and today which include:
  • Fixed a bug on the server where servers were not properly filtering transactions, allowing at best DoSing of nodes (some people saw this as 100% bitcoin node usage) and at worst, getting relay clients banned from local bitcoin nodes.
  • Some simple improvements that speed things up as much as 50%
  • Fixed bug that might have allowed for duplicate block sends
  • Update clients to send their local mempool on first connect/reconect, making the first block(s) sent also compress well
  • Removed the old Java/Python clients, they're slow and dumb - use the C++ ones

Note that these updates include some great client-side changes, though things should still work fine if you dont.

This still leaves the merkle hash tree mismatches, which I've been aware of for a while but are quite hard to track down :/ (oh well, if we miss a few blocks, we miss a few blocks, this is a backup network :p).

Also put up a website at http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org/, which should have the latest information. I want to put up a status flag there, but thats for later.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:39:50 AM

Oh, and I believe the merkle tree issues should (finally) be fixed now as well Smiley

kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:31:41 AM

Sorry for this thread being completely dead over the past few weeks. I was working hard on this and then got distracted with Sidechain Elements Alpha release and the blocksize debate. In any case, I pushed a series of updates yesterday and today which include:
  • Fixed a bug on the server where servers were not properly filtering transactions, allowing at best DoSing of nodes (some people saw this as 100% bitcoin node usage) and at worst, getting relay clients banned from local bitcoin nodes.
  • Some simple improvements that speed things up as much as 50%
  • Fixed bug that might have allowed for duplicate block sends
  • Update clients to send their local mempool on first connect/reconect, making the first block(s) sent also compress well
  • Removed the old Java/Python clients, they're slow and dumb - use the C++ ones

Note that these updates include some great client-side changes, though things should still work fine if you dont.

This still leaves the merkle hash tree mismatches, which I've been aware of for a while but are quite hard to track down :/ (oh well, if we miss a few blocks, we miss a few blocks, this is a backup network :p).

Also put up a website at http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org/, which should have the latest information. I want to put up a status flag there, but thats for later.
Thanks for this.
Updating a few nodes to see how many of my bitcoin problems are relay and how many are 0.10.x exploit network problems Cheesy
(I run bitcoinds without the relay for comparison)

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 03:15:55 AM

Actually, just pushed yet another big performance win. Things should be back down to much quicker-than-latency compression runs.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

Oh, and a big memory usage reduction win, too, though clients dont care too much about that Smiley.

loshia
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:48:05 AM

Oh, and a big memory usage reduction win, too, though clients dont care too much about that Smiley.

I do not think so Wink
I am a sawp hater Grin
Thanks Matt great job!

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 09:38:35 PM

I do not think so Wink
I am a sawp hater Grin
Thanks Matt great job!
Well the client-side stuff wont even use more than a few 10s of MB, so I dont think thats an issue for anyone?

loshia
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 03:26:00 AM

I do not think so Wink
I am a sawp hater Grin
Thanks Matt great job!
Well the client-side stuff wont even use more than a few 10s of MB, so I dont think thats an issue for anyone?
Honestly speaking I did not watch old client mem usage at all. My mem usage issues were not because of your client. What I wanted to say is that we do care about mem usage in general.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 07:25:07 AM

I do not think so Wink
I am a sawp hater Grin
Thanks Matt great job!
Honestly speaking I did not watch old client mem usage at all. My mem usage issues were not because of your client. What I wanted to say is that we do care about mem usage in general.
Get more ram Smiley
Relay uses about 10Mb of ram at the moment ... nothing compared to anything else running on my pool.

loshia
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 07:46:26 AM

I do not think so Wink
I am a sawp hater Grin
Thanks Matt great job!
Get more ram Smiley
Relay uses about 10Mb of ram at the moment ... nothing compared to anything else running on my pool.
I know:)
once again i was speaking in general

for the record Wink

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      16431628    6109668   10321960          0     393708    3062792
-/+ buffers/cache:    2653168   13778460
Swap:      9959420          0    9959420

Now Ontopic new relay client with log filtered out

Thu Jun 18 08:28:53 EEST 2015: Starting relaynetworkclient

Connected to relay node with protocol version the blocksize
[2015-06-18 05:56:02+00] 000000000000000004fd86600f6a12e5186ec18f11d7502afba3b7f7e00cae1a Block recv'd, size 932103 with 5222 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 05:58:00+00] 00000000000000000bb1ed574ab76212bc3fd86fad043e48a804b5baab873114 Block recv'd, size 924435 with 1573 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:03:14+00] 000000000000000010e5b0cdfc902b4b7f700177dd400f411f85bb861837fe42 Block recv'd, size 213069 with 827 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:08:58+00] 00000000000000000d7ba82013c1bd3354330dfab5406e3b5b31d779bae7306d Block recv'd, size 298966 with 1170 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:22:16+00] 000000000000000008a705191b01905215e1c37de8c4fd5f3c8aec8f4a98fa3f Block recv'd, size 438564 with 1899 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:24:21+00] 00000000000000001023e903ecbc7d4308c2c0659c92c5bb8d67e95341b81990 Block recv'd, size 118202 with 561 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:24:47+00] 0000000000000000121fe92d40e84a77c5e1a3e2aa0ef202f2c150e82c7fd1ce Block sent, size 43943 with 35187 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:24:52+00] 0000000000000000121fe92d40e84a77c5e1a3e2aa0ef202f2c150e82c7fd1ce Block recv'd, size 43919 with 4917 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 06:54:13+00] 000000000000000014e4aca7174b5f4468836a7569147b1b6ed787b842869e05 Block recv'd, size 749195 with 3347 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:05:45+00] 00000000000000000dc26e1e68c1c04e34db2faeaa2771b0156738d463e074bf Block sent, size 707268 with 603451 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:05:46+00] 00000000000000000dc26e1e68c1c04e34db2faeaa2771b0156738d463e074bf Block recv'd, size 707244 with 1880 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:09:56+00] 0000000000000000148e854a12e5eb378e5adaf6f8f5e416963e6e78bd0b6e1a Block recv'd, size 201317 with 952 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:10:20+00] 00000000000000000d1e68b1aabb79565f8307b97655d2a21c6f99b0d209a989 Block sent, size 26317 with 24792 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:10:39+00] 00000000000000000d1e68b1aabb79565f8307b97655d2a21c6f99b0d209a989 Block recv'd, size 26293 with 229 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:30:18+00] 0000000000000000119247bbeea1fa3ae3697482e9d1ec294e7d151e5927c583 Block recv'd, size 741555 with 2971 bytes on the wire
[2015-06-18 07:32:34+00] 000000000000000007802e4a62af5b844a93271cb6ab6d14285a4fa34c3b23fe Block recv'd, size 115723 with 395 bytes on the wire

And i am faster with two blocks only  
There is no match between well connected bitcoin deamon and mat realy

Thanks once again Matt!

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 07:08:43 AM

Posted some anonymized stats for those interested at http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org/stats.html. I had rotated the logs not too long ago because they changed format, so they only go back a few days, but I'll update them every now and again (or when pinged) and they should show more history.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 988

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:22:28 PM

I am trying to upgrade to the latest client on github, but it is not working for me for reasons I don't understand.  The old client still seems to work, but when I try to start the new one, I get this:

Code:
relaynetworkclient.exe public.us-east.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333
127.0.0.1 Disconnect: failed to read message header (No error)

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 09:37:29 PM

The problem is that Windows is an absolutely terrible OS...but it should work now.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 988

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:54:22 AM

The problem is that Windows is an absolutely terrible OS...but it should work now.

Yep, it works great now.  Thanks! Smiley

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
igorwhite

Activity: 110

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 04:01:28 PM

Hello!
Friends, Colleagues.
I read the whole thread of the forum and did not understand.
Explain to me how to run a Relay Network + p2pool?

CTO, R&D Director Esonics
p3yot33at3r

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:01:06 PM

Since the last update (20 hours ago) I'm unable to build the client on Xubuntu 64bit. When I execute the command "make -f Makefile" from within the c++ folder - I get the following error:

Code:
yasm -f x64 -f elf64 -X gnu -g dwarf2 -D LINUX -o crypto/sha256_code_release/sha256_avx2_rorx2.a crypto/sha256_code_release/sha256_avx2_rorx2.asm
make: yasm: Command not found
make: *** [crypto/sha256_code_release/sha256_avx2_rorx2.a] Error 127

Everything worked fine until the last update  Sad

EDIT: The pre-compiled binary will also not run on 64bit system, giving the following error:

Code:
relaynetworkclient: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by relaynetworkclient)

Do I need to download & install dependences now?

EDIT2: I've reverted to the previous build until further news  Wink
p3yot33at3r

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:21:39 PM

Hello!
Friends, Colleagues.
I read the whole thread of the forum and did not understand.
Explain to me how to run a Relay Network + p2pool?

Have a read:

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/32676543/

http://bitcoinrelaynetwork.org/

I suggest use the prebuilt binary (if it works) & running it from within the folder for simplicity, using the nearest server listed to you  Wink
igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 06:59:59 PM

p3yot33at3r

I read everything. Server public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com . I can't understand that need to config run bitcoind + relay network + p2pool

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:39:48 AM

Since the last update (20 hours ago) I'm unable to build the client on Xubuntu 64bit. When I execute the command "make -f Makefile" from within the c++ folder - I get the following error:

Code:
yasm -f x64 -f elf64 -X gnu -g dwarf2 -D LINUX -o crypto/sha256_code_release/sha256_avx2_rorx2.a crypto/sha256_code_release/sha256_avx2_rorx2.asm

You need to install yasm, as the error indicates :p

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:41:06 AM

p3yot33at3r

I read everything. Server public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com . I can't understand that need to config run bitcoind + relay network + p2pool
Just run bitcoind and p2pool as you normally would, then run the relaynetwork client with "relaynetworkclient public.eu.relay.mattcorallo the-ip-or-hostname-of-your-bitcoind 8333"

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 02:52:46 AM

Code:

EDIT: The pre-compiled binary will also not run on 64bit system, giving the following error:

Code:
relaynetworkclient: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by relaynetworkclient)

Code:
sudo apt-get install yasm
Once it's installed just run make and it'll compile just fine.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 09:58:38 AM

p3yot33at3r

Just run bitcoind and p2pool as you normally would, then run the relaynetwork client with "relaynetworkclient public.eu.relay.mattcorallo the-ip-or-hostname-of-your-bitcoind 8333"

user@p2pool:~/RelayNode/client$ ./relaynetworkclient public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com 127.0.0.1 8333
Illegal instruction (memory dump)

Huh?

Sorry

Assembled on a new relaynetworkclient ALL OK

p3yot33at3r

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 02:04:28 PM

Code:

You need to install yasm, as the error indicates :p

Yeah, I figured that was what I needed - just wanted to be sure. All good again, thanks for your work, great stuff  Wink
igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 06:46:06 PM

Matt Corallo, Many thanks for your work!
DOA on my node down 3-5%
If interested, I can provide free server in Russia (Moscow) to expand the Relay Network

Best Regards Igor.

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 07:05:22 PM

If interested, I can provide free server in Russia (Moscow) to expand the Relay Network
Are your ping times to the EU/AMS server particularly bad? Unless your ping times/packet loss to that server are particularly bad, there isnt much use in adding a new server in moscow.

igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 07:20:37 PM

ping to eu.relay -- 52-57 ms

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:22:44 PM

ping to eu.relay -- 52-57 ms
What about ping from where such a server would be to eu, plus your pings to there?

igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 09:05:21 PM

What about ping from where such a server would be to eu, plus your pings to there?
I do not understand question
My ping to the server  public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com -- 52-57ms
My ping to the server  yandex.de and yandex.ru -- 2ms

Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:26:40 AM

My ping to the server  public.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com -- 52-57ms
My ping to the server  yandex.de and yandex.ru -- 2ms
I dont think you can buy a server on yandex that is colocated to +/- everywhere :p. What about pings to a Moscow looking glass and pings from there to the eu node?
I processed block sources on the relay network and there isnt much east of Germany, so I'm not sure its so worth it either way. Higher latency here doesnt matter unless you have high packet loss or miners broadcasting blocks from Russia.

igorwhite

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 06:40:15 AM

Of course I can not buy a server Yandex.
But I place the server for free on optical line 500Mbit/s.
I have many friends in Irkutsk, Murom, Nizhny Novgorod, Saratov. Ping from their servers to thepublic.eu.relay.mattcorallo.com ~ 150ms

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:38:10 AM

Code:

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install yasm
Once it's installed just run make and it'll compile just fine.

Confirmed, once I installed yasm it compiled just fine on my x64 node.  The precompiled version would not run, despite glibcxx already being there.

M

kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:24:50 PM

Relay is 'under attack'? again?
Receiving a lot more transactions than usual, but most of them the size is 599 or 600 - so clearly someone is messing with the relay.
They've stopped for now - well there's few if any 599 or 600 bytes - but not zero - still a few 599 showing up that may or may not be related to it - but not enough to care about at the moment.
Spoke too soon Tongue
It's back on and off.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:34:15 PM

Receiving a lot more transactions than usual, but most of them the size is 599 or 600 - so clearly someone is messing with the relay.

Seems to me that somebody is spamming blockchain again
It is visible on http://webbtc.com/ and https://blockchain.info/
Last blocks from 363186 to 363196 (11 in a row!) are filled to maximum sizes
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:00:29 PM

Seems to me that somebody is spamming blockchain again
It is visible on http://webbtc.com/ and https://blockchain.info/
Last blocks from 363186 to 363196 (11 in a row!) are filled to maximum sizes

BLk size depends on POOL bitcoind config only Wink
Max size=Max fee so it is done on purpose

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:15:15 PM

I know.
FYI: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1098263.0
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:19:10 PM

I know.
FYI: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1098263.0
Good so it might not be spam in that case Cheesy

Matt Corallo

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:17:40 PM