Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:26:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, I managed to make a whole Minecraft server butthurt about Bitcoins.  (Read 2629 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 12:31:28 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2012, 12:42:49 PM by Jon

http://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/s8zao/stop_paying_people_to_take_part_in_this_server/

I buy 60 diamonds with Bitcoins and now a good portion of the server is dealing in them (with the exception of communists).

Some say it isn't fair. Nonetheless, I stage Bitcoin treasure hunts with private keys inside of books, in-game.

Anyways, just doing my duty for the Bitcoin cause. The fact Bitcoin is becoming regular talk is excellent.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 01:02:44 PM

there seems to be a pretty intense discussion going on. for example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/s8fvm/egokicks_diamond_fire_sale/
schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 01:03:50 PM

So, atlas managed to leave for just over a week.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

This is fascinating…I'm casually interested because my kids are addicted to Minecraft.  These people have a good point about an outside currency potentially ruining the game play (no different that if you could use dollars to buy things in the game…people could just buy influence in the game instead of earning it with game play).  But, it's cool that a) you can do this easily with bitcoin, and b) you've got lots of people talking about it.

Now, what would be really cool is to create a new currency that works similar to bitcoin, but where the work needed to bring it into existence is somehow connected to gameplay on the server.  I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it and making it secure (i.e. that someone actually had to play the game to earn the currency instead of just running a program to generate them), but it would be cool if it could be done.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 02:57:48 PM

So, I managed to make a whole Minecraft server butthurt about Bitcoins.

keep trollin' Wink
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 04:19:26 PM

Interesting, nice job  Cheesy

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 07:05:52 PM

Now, what would be really cool is to create a new currency that works similar to bitcoin, but where the work needed to bring it into existence is somehow connected to gameplay on the server.  I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it and making it secure (i.e. that someone actually had to play the game to earn the currency instead of just running a program to generate them), but it would be cool if it could be done.

If the game is open source, and the resources created for the game are open source, then DeVCoins might fit this, since people who are actually actively developing will be able to automatically get DeVCoins as they are generated regardless of who actually runs the mining gear.

So for example people creating the artwork, models, meshes, textures and so on to enable a game to progress toward having a three dimensional representation could get DeVCoins for doing that.

Such development could be tied to gameplay by the fact that a character has to actual do the development work or skill-gaining work needed for the character to actually get to produce, in-game, the items the player is doing the illustrations, models etc for.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 08:07:44 PM

How many btc are currently floating around the civcraft world and causing this much discussion?
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

How many btc are currently floating around the civcraft world and causing this much discussion?
egokick, the only user publicly acknowledging having traded for bitcoins, posted a link to his address:
http://blockchain.info/address/1LcSeT1an4e7hLLihXqgDsdwMQ8bMUGdwJ

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 03:33:33 AM

If the game is open source, and the resources created for the game are open source, then DeVCoins might fit this, since people who are actually actively developing will be able to automatically get DeVCoins as they are generated regardless of who actually runs the mining gear.

So for example people creating the artwork, models, meshes, textures and so on to enable a game to progress toward having a three dimensional representation could get DeVCoins for doing that.

Such development could be tied to gameplay by the fact that a character has to actual do the development work or skill-gaining work needed for the character to actually get to produce, in-game, the items the player is doing the illustrations, models etc for.

-MarkM-

Unfortunately, the game is not opensource, but they do plan on offering integrated mod support some point in the future. My idea has always been making the game client a bitcoin client, and each time the player mines a block, they execute a hash calculation. For individual players this wouldn't amount to anything, but on a high population server, it might amount to little more than nothing.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 06:10:19 AM

So, atlas managed to leave for just over a week.
Nah, he's way too fucked up in the head to actually stay away that long, he just didn't post under the id Jon for 7 days. You know he was lurkin' and jerkin' the entire time until he just couldn't stand it any more.

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 06:21:37 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2012, 06:36:52 AM by CryptoCoinMedia

Now, what would be really cool is to create a new currency that works similar to bitcoin, but where the work needed to bring it into existence is somehow connected to gameplay on the server.  I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it and making it secure (i.e. that someone actually had to play the game to earn the currency instead of just running a program to generate them), but it would be cool if it could be done.

You could make a separate game thread that mines using cpu power at a set difficulty. You would also somehow have to limit each players cpu power for that thread to make it even.

Maybe litecoin would be a better choice...

If you can mine other materials like diamonds couldnt you also mine bitcoins?

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 09:35:51 AM

Now, what would be really cool is to create a new currency that works similar to bitcoin, but where the work needed to bring it into existence is somehow connected to gameplay on the server. 
IMO, the most ovious thing would be to have the game client or server act as a bitcoin wallet per player, and keeping track of them. using libbitcoin or bitcoinJ this should be fairly trivial.
Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:21:07 AM

aww man, this sucks IMO. Their world is supposed to simulate a closed economy and now you just turned it into something with the same business model as an iPhone app.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:29:42 AM

Isn't it wonderful?  Cheesy

weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:11:50 PM

It's hard to understand what this CivCraft is. I mean I've played minecraft and got quite enthralled with it but is there a synopsis somewhere of CivCraft, what seperates it from the main Minecraft game, and some backstory?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: