Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:04:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Independence.  (Read 856 times)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 03:10:49 PM

Ok so the libertarians here will hopefully agree with me that Scotland should vote YES, and become free of the tyranny of the UK government. (Although this will likely result in another government being set-up - still though, the smaller the government the better.)

Whether they vote yes or no, we would love for them to adopt cryptocurrency.

If they vote yes they could adopt bitcoin, or perhaps "SCOTCOIN."

Can someone please make this alt-coin a reality please?

It seems like a currency people could use to show their rejection of Scottish "dependence." In the event of a "NO" majority (which is, unfortunately what will probably be the result) those that wanted independence could join together and reject the currency imposed on them Smiley

Society doesn't scale.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 04:43:19 PM

Somebody in the UK just needs to drive up to Scotland and explain things to them lol Tongue I suppose I could do it but I don't know if they'll even give me the time of day, it also depends on whether the yes vote happens or not.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 04:49:09 PM

I doubt there'll be a yes vote tbh. No government ever offers you the chance to not be under it's control without making sure that it's not an option you'll take first.

Society doesn't scale.
Tusk

Activity: 444
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 04:50:17 PM

haggisCoin  Smiley

From the ashes rises the Phoenix. Viva the block chain, Viva BitCoin!
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:40:43 PM

Was trying to avoid stereotypes in this thread, but it's too much of an opportunity isn't it?

Mining algorithm can be POA (proof of alcoholism). Public Ledger can be the "fast-food chain."

I am serious about this currency idea, though I don't have time to get it done. I probably should stop this thread descending into Scotland-bashing, as I'm trying to inspire these very people to shake off their English overlords!

Society doesn't scale.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:45:10 PM

Hey I'm English and I'd be happy for the scots to be independent, I will also be voting in the EU referendum.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 05:47:23 PM

I'm english too, but I'm a cypherpunk! I want to see crypto make fiat currency appear the dinosaur that is it.

Society doesn't scale.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:59:07 PM

I'm a citizen of the world and Bitcoin is my currency  Grin

Not much chance of an "independant" (whatever that means these days) Scotland embracing BTC for the time being I reckon - though there was a bloke called Mayer on the Max Keiser show recently talking about the massive competitive advantage any nation that had the balls to embrace bitcoin would gain. I tend to agree.

But in reality/practice, I reckon that a good way forward for Scotland (or any other nation on Earth) might be to utilise bitcoin/the blockchain for international trading purposes/as a reserve currency. Many good reasons for this.

Somewhere later down the line bitcoin (having by then gained legitimacy/reputation etc) will then work its way down to consumer level transactions.

Or maybe it will work the other way around - I don't know.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:07:41 PM

Hey I'm English and I'd be happy for the scots to be independent, I will also be voting in the EU referendum.

lol.... the EU referendum will never happen. If wealthy nations such as England and Germany secede from the EU, then who will subsidize the parasites? Already there is a lot of strain, after the addition of new members. And moreover, all the mainstream parties in the UK, with the exception of UKIP are supporting UK's membership in the EU.
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:56:57 PM

lol.... the EU referendum will never happen. If wealthy nations such as England and Germany secede from the EU, then who will subsidize the parasites? Already there is a lot of strain, after the addition of new members. And moreover, all the mainstream parties in the UK, with the exception of UKIP are supporting UK's membership in the EU.

How did those weak nations manage to join the EU given their debt and deficit every year?

Are UK and Germany sleeping when voting on those weaker nations joining?
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 06:58:39 PM

Because now those weaker nations belong to Germany and the other stronger ones.

Society doesn't scale.
cameltoe

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:02:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOOZDbMrgE

This should be the Scotts inauguration speech for their independence.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:29:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOOZDbMrgE

This should be the Scotts inauguration speech for their independence.

Hmmm....... Braveheart. A single movie achieved what extremist organizations like the Scottish National Liberation Army could never achieve. After dozens of movies which glorified the English invasion of Scotland and the colonization which followed that, Braveheart was the first movie which told the perspective from the opposite side. If the Scots opt for independence on September 18, then Alex Salmond needs to thank Mel Gibson more than anyone else.  Grin
luvit

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:08:42 PM

I really dc. But may they find independence alast
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:31:06 PM

We've exported almost all our manufacturing to India and China so don't worry about that! Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: