Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:24:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core question  (Read 1009 times)
copythat (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:47:58 PM

Hi,
I'm using Bitcoin Core for my wallet, the only problem so far I've encountered is it takes FOREVER to sync with the block chain, it's upto 24 weeks behind and before it was 3 years last time I remember.
I can see that it doesn't take a lot to work that in the software it's saying there are only 8 connected peers and the connection quality depicted is the lowest (one bar). I'm guessing I'm not doing something right here... do I need to portforward to allow Bitcoin to work properly, configure my firewall or both? Is there something I'm missing here? It would be great to get wallet up and running...

Thanks Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

Hi,
I'm using Bitcoin Core for my wallet, the only problem so far I've encountered is it takes FOREVER to sync with the block chain, it's upto 24 weeks behind and before it was 3 years last time I remember.
I can see that it doesn't take a lot to work that in the software it's saying there are only 8 connected peers and the connection quality depicted is the lowest (one bar). I'm guessing I'm not doing something right here... do I need to portforward to allow Bitcoin to work properly, configure my firewall or both? Is there something I'm missing here? It would be great to get wallet up and running...

Thanks Smiley

For bitcoin core, you need to have the full blockchain data (about 25GB on my computer) and so it will take some time for the initial syncing (downloading all the blocks way back from 2009) to complete. Since the process is almost finished now (just 24 weeks left), the best option is to wait for the download to complete.

You could have used https://bitcoin.org/bin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent to download the blocks with a torrent.
You could also use some thin wallet clients (meaning that you don't need to have the full blockchain data) like Electrum and Multibit.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 07:30:09 PM

Had a longer reply, got a call all is gone Sad

Anyway. You only sync with 1 node (getpeerinfo from console, look for sync:true) make sure its a fast node with
-listen=0 (dont search for others)
-maxconnections=1 (so you sync with it)
-connect=IP

pick an IP from the fallback node list (google it) or take mine (see link in profile, 100mbit/s) and launch with the above commands (google running bitcoin for help w/ that)

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:51:46 PM

It will take a decent amount of time even if you have a fast connection, there is a lot of data to download.

You can use a pool to mine to, or a wallet that does not need chain.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:05:38 AM

If you are new to bitcoin I would recommend you use a lightweight client for your daily bitcoin activity.
I can recommend Electrum because it uses a deterministic wallet and you can use it instantaneous without downloading the blockchain.

If you like to contribute to the bitcoin network download the Bitcoin Core client open port 8333 and leave it on as many hours as possible.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: