Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:33:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with transferring wallet  (Read 980 times)
jtcweb (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:50:59 PM

I was running bitcoin 0.3.24 on windows and had to do a system reload.  I installed the current version from bitcoin.org and am confused about transferring my wallet.dat file that I backed up from the old computer.  There are very few bitcoins in it, but it is something I want to learn to before I move into this further.  I assumed that I would import the wallet.dat file into the new client, but I cannot find a way to do that and I cannot find where a new wallet.dat file has been created.  What am I missing here?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deus-ex-machina

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 05:52:26 PM

No need to worry. As long as you still have the file you still have the Bitcoins. The file should be located in your program files folder. If you are running a 64 bit operating system, this would end in X84. There is a sub-directory which is a folder inside a folder named Bitcoin .Inside of that folder, you will find the wallet.dat file that and after that it's a simple matter of copy and paste. This is how to do it without a transaction fee. An easier way but more expensive is to send the Bitcoins over to your new wallet. This is usually not worth it. You were probably better off just copying the old wallet over to the new one.

Just make sure the new wallet does not have any Bitcoins in it. Deleting the last copy of a wallet means losing every Bitcoin in it. Those Bitcoins are lost and can never be recovered.
jtcweb (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 08:01:23 PM

The bitcoin folder under program files doesn't have a wallet.dat file, that's what is confusing me.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:19:16 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2012, 12:13:46 AM by Stephen Gornick

The bitcoin folder under program files doesn't have a wallet.dat file, that's what is confusing me.

A new installation of Bitcoin doesn't come with a wallet.dat

Each time the bitcoin client is launched it checks for wallet.dat.  If none exists, it will create a new one.

So simply copy your wallet.dat from the backup to the Bitcoin data directory and launch Bitcoin.  It should load the wallet.dat just fine, even though it is from a prior release.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory#Default_Location

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 11:51:47 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Locating_Bitcoin.27s_data_directory

Replace the wallet dat inside that folder with the one you backed up. I hope you also have the blockchain and the wallet index, etc. backed up... It will be a lot easier for you if you have all the contents from the previous folder Smiley
One thing is bugging me... How the hell did you find the folder before, when you made the backup, and aren't finding it now?
jtcweb (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 01:43:11 AM

I'm not sure how I found the wallet file before, it was 4 months ago and version 0.3 of the bitcoin software.

This was the piece I was missing, where this version of bitcoin stores the wallet file.  I copied my backed up wallet file to the appdata/roaming/bitcoin directory and what do you know they are back.  Thanks
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:21:01 AM

I'm not sure how I found the wallet file before, it was 4 months ago and version 0.3 of the bitcoin software.

This was the piece I was missing, where this version of bitcoin stores the wallet file.  I copied my backed up wallet file to the appdata/roaming/bitcoin directory and what do you know they are back.  Thanks

Glad to hear you have your bitcoins back Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: