Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:08:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Bazaar bitcoin killer app!  (Read 4393 times)
edwardspitz

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:12:25 AM

I tried the Linux beta yesterday. It looks very promising, but there is not much going on yet.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:46:17 AM

They will really be destructed:
https://blog.openbazaar.org/proof-of-burn-and-reputation-pledges/

I like the idea better of sending the coins to charity, and have a voting system on open bazaar to which charity the coins need to go.

Yeah, why not something like this?
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:30:26 AM

I like the idea better of sending the coins to charity, and have a voting system on open bazaar to which charity the coins need to go.

Because it can be manipulated by those in a charity. I know it's unlikely but still possible. Proof-of-burn can't be manipulated.
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:37:37 AM

How much POB are we talking about? First of all why would we entertain the idea of permanently removing BTC from the ecosystem? Today's change can be next decade's car (or for you bears that want to start a fight for no reason, it could also be next decade's trash).
That's the same argument Bitcoin detractors use against spending any Bitcoin ever. Why would you ever spend any BTC if it may be more valuable tomorrow?

It's more complicated, maybe? Proof of burn is charitably donating the value to all BTC holders.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:55:20 AM

It's more complicated, maybe? Proof of burn is charitably donating the value to all BTC holders.

Yeah, it seems to be a simple method that is apolitical, however, in the POB scenario, people who hold more bitcoins would gain more benefit from that, so it doesn't go to everyone "equally", and definitely doesn't go to those with the most need, like it might if it had a different design. I have no well thought out alternative to present at the moment, though -- just discussing ideas.
Buo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:17:16 PM

The bitcoins aren't really burned but it could be a positive thing for its value in the long term.

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:59:22 PM

The bitcoins aren't really burned but it could be a positive thing for its value in the long term.

What do you mean they are not really burned?

Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:02:02 PM

That's a really clever idea, that makes bitcoins more valuable. So while the donator loses money, the rest of users profit from it, so nothing is lost in aggregate.

I wonder what keynesians think about decreasing the money supply  Grin

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:22:46 PM

That's a really clever idea, that makes bitcoins more valuable. So while the donator loses money, the rest of users profit from it, so nothing is lost in aggregate.

I wonder what keynesians think about decreasing the money supply  Grin

That we are all doomed because of the deflation spiral!  Roll Eyes

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:22:21 PM

What if burning means behind closed doors "cashing out and buying the latest lambo"?  Tongue

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

What if burning means behind closed doors "cashing out and buying the latest lambo"?  Tongue

All that with open source code? Really?

bitcointrader55

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:59:31 PM
Merited by shahim (1)

I tried the Linux beta yesterday. It looks very promising, but there is not much going on yet.

Yeah it is still work in progress and most likely will be until beta release. Hopefully by then basic transactions will be able to be performed. I plan on starting out by offering free notary and arbitration services as well as selling products.

and of course I also plan to buy products too. I want to shift as much of my commerce on to OpenBazaar as possible.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 07:39:02 PM

How is it possible to know that the bitcoins are really being "burnt" and that receiving address isn't really owned by someone?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: