Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:45:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Senator Schumer is back  (Read 1351 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 04:19:56 AM

Senator Schumer is back

And this time, he wants to put you in jail for changing your IMEI number on your iPhone.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=19927688&nid=1014&title=wireless-providers-to-disable-stolen-phones&s_cid=queue-15

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 04:22:44 AM

Linking cellphones to physical identities.

They track every phone as a matter of course.  But when you report your phone stolen, they can't be bothered to track it down and arrest the thieves or even investigate.

More security theater.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

The free market might be helping with that.  They'll usually respond to "My iPhone was just stolen, and I am tracking it with the Find My iPhone app, and the thieves are <wherever>".  Just google "find my iPhone arrest"

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 02:06:55 PM

The free market might be helping with that.  They'll usually respond to "My iPhone was just stolen, and I am tracking it with the Find My iPhone app, and the thieves are <wherever>".  Just google "find my iPhone arrest"

I wish there was an app called "find my bitcoins" as that would be the killer bitcoin app Smiley

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 05:14:04 PM

I wish there was an app called "find my bitcoins" as that would be the killer bitcoin app Smiley

I think another killer app would be "watch my bitcoins".

It would notify you when certain bitcoins on the block chain got touched, as a sentinel for your machine being hacked.

schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 06:10:01 PM

It would notify you when certain bitcoins on the block chain got touched, as a sentinel for your machine being hacked.

It could come with a list of known addresses for sites/people, so when your bitcoins are sent it would say 'xbtc sent to xaddress. That address is known to be mtgox's'

To get the app, you would have to compile a list of 150 addresses you come across and their owners, contributing to the app.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:12:12 AM

There is already 2 year prison time in Latvia for possessing equipment that is capable of changing IMEI codes on phones. So for older phone models COM cable in your apartment is all the cops need to get you in prison.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:27:14 AM

Could you use RSS or email for that? For example, this cyberstalks Satoshi:

http://page2rss.com/e415e4645d4b26dbadef4e704d921c78
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 12:46:34 AM

There is already 2 year prison time in Latvia for possessing equipment that is capable of changing IMEI codes on phones. So for older phone models COM cable in your apartment is all the cops need to get you in prison.

almost as safe as cp (to send someone to jail). that's harsh and can not be prevented by full hdd encryption (works against cp planting) : (

your ad here:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: