Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:54:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different Kind of Coins  (Read 1221 times)
bradleyb5155 (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:52:44 AM

Could someone please put together a list of the "different" types of crypto currencies, for example we have POS, POW etc. Im confused to what each mean and how many there are, please provide a few examples of what coin falls into which category.
Thank You
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:28:50 AM

Proof of Work means there is mathematical verification that energy (a unit of work in W=P*t) was expended to create the current block which verifies a transaction. Proof of Stake means that a wealthy person is trustworthy enough to verify a transaction. Hybrid coins try to balance them to minimize energy expenditure by allowing human trust. Derivative coins balance counterparty risk through a third party that  backs coins by registering the transaction metadata on a blockchain.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:34:55 AM

There are too many coins to list them, but if you have any one in particular in mind I can try to explain it.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 02:42:01 AM

lets try to group all these different coins.

POW

POS / DPOS

Scriptable coins  (ex. NXT or ethereum )

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 03:16:43 AM

Could someone please put together a list of the "different" types of crypto currencies, for example we have POS, POW etc. Im confused to what each mean and how many there are, please provide a few examples of what coin falls into which category.
Thank You

There are only two categories of cryptocoins that matter.

1. Bitcoin
2. Not Bitcoin

Here's why: http://trilema.com/2014/the-woes-of-altcoin-or-why-there-is-no-such-thing-as-cryptocurrencies/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:28:40 AM

Thank You

1. Bitcoin
2. Not Bitcoin

Here's why: http://trilema.com/2014/the-woes-of-altcoin-or-why-there-is-no-such-thing-as-cryptocurrencies/
I agree 90%. It's not enough to bother arguing about.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:57:06 AM

I'll give you a tip OP.. you wont get an unbiased answer here in the Bitcoin Discussion sub-forum of Bitcointalk. Smiley
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 03:58:57 AM

there are probably more sites available out there but Coinwarz is a good site to get started with, it has a good profitability statistics and explains each coin. It also has a link to the coins main website, tell you the algorithm it uses and a lot of other links for each and every coin.

As far the work of the coin a simple google search can help you with that. just google POW coins or POS coins or whatever you are looking for, maybe even Define PoW coins. be careful googling just PoW is going to give you  a totally wrong answer because in Military terms PoW is defined as Prisoner of War.

I only say all this because to try and explain all the coins would be almost impossible and would be a 5 page post, there are just to many coins to try and explain each one. its better to use a site like coinwars and read the announcement thread for each coin you are interested in

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:28:19 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 06:50:44 PM by DannyHamilton

I'll give you a tip OP.. you wont get an unbiased answer here in the Bitcoin Discussion sub-forum of Bitcointalk. Smiley

For once I agree with CoinHoarder 100%.

If you have questions about altcoins, you should ask your question in the "Alternate cryptocurrencies" sub-forum:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

You're likely to get a lot of answers that you don't want if you ask a question about all the other forms of cryptocurrencies in the "Bitcoin Discussion" sub-forum.  For example:

1. Bitcoin
2. Not Bitcoin

EDIT: It appears that this thread has been moved since I posted this.
btceuropen

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:06:14 AM

different coin, different price
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:44:57 AM

The algorithm controlling number of coins created over time and the method of initial distribution is also key. As is whether the protocol is open or closed source.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4453

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:02:10 AM

the POS/POW is purely about how coins are distributed.
POW distributes coins to the people that help secure the blockchain by doing the hard work of computing the blocks
POS distributes coins to the people that simply have coins (the more you hoard the more you'll receive)

now then, different types of coins
this can be which encryption scripting language is used (sha/scrypt)
this can be the purpose/utility of the coin (general tender/charitable tender/contractual logging/stocks&shares)
it can be the rarity of the coin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:22:47 AM

The only coins worth investing in begin with 'bit'
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:41:47 PM

Everybody is biased towards their own holding.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: