Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:52:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: business opportunity: language services over skype  (Read 1124 times)
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 01:45:51 PM

There is both demand and supply for it.

Demand: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76664.0

Supply: http://forbitcoin.com/Other/1153/skype-you-for-5-minutes

All we need is a service to match them.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:31:21 AM

This is a big market.

Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:51:22 AM

That's actually exactly what I do. I made the post in the Spanish forum because I right now have a bunch of new clients who are interested in Spanish. Also posted about the service in Marketplace:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76064.0

However the interest from the Bitcoin community has been limited (The service is still in it's beta so I'm not advertising it heavily just yet).
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 09:08:59 AM

That's actually exactly what I do. I made the post in the Spanish forum because I right now have a bunch of new clients who are interested in Spanish. Also posted about the service in Marketplace:

However the interest from the Bitcoin community has been limited (The service is still in it's beta so I'm not advertising it heavily just yet).

I do not think you have the right approach.

It looks like you are trying to intermediate between teachers and trainees, and to collect payments.
It will not work, because it is the essence of Bitcoin to enable direct payments.

I would be better to provide an infrastructure where tachers and trainees can freely meet and decide on price, etc.
the website should allow teachers to have a profile, and trainees to recommend teachers.

Shuai

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 09:41:18 AM

I do not think you have the right approach.

It looks like you are trying to intermediate between teachers and trainees, and to collect payments.
It will not work, because it is the essence of Bitcoin to enable direct payments.

I would be better to provide an infrastructure where tachers and trainees can freely meet and decide on price, etc.
the website should allow teachers to have a profile, and trainees to recommend teachers.

You're totally right, and that is the plan eventually. The business model will be to take a little cut of the teachers fee though, as that will be much more neat than advertising or similar.

The thing about skype teaching is that anyone can do it, they just need a little bit of training in some specific methods that needs to be used when teaching beginners over skype. My idea is to automate this through videos/software, and then just let people freely sign up as teachers. Right now I train the teachers manually and find the students manually so it's rather sluggish.

I have grand plans for a big software solution to all of this, and I've even got the capital to get it made, but right now im just way to busy with my current start up to move further with until at least next year. So I just set up the website and the service as a proof-of-work, that there's a great market for online one on one teaching.

Also, if any developers want to work with me on this project, feel free to PM me here about it. I plan to outsource most of the development, but I want at least one developer with great ambitions on the team, and so far I haven't found anyone suitable.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 09:46:34 AM

im just way to busy with my current start up

just out of curiosity: what is your current startup?

Shuai

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 10:42:27 AM

im just way to busy with my current start up

just out of curiosity: what is your current startup?

www.Try-China.com

It's sort of related because pretty much all the current skype teaching clients are people who are preparing to go to China through this company.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 03:49:16 PM

Also, if any developers want to work with me on this project, feel free to PM me here about it. I plan to outsource most of the development, but I want at least one developer with great ambitions on the team, and so far I haven't found anyone suitable.

I am afraid I have no time for that.

However, I can suggest you a very simple approach:
if you do not have time to write software, just start with generic software, and adapt it progressively to your needs.
this will allow you to launch your product and to build a community early.

For example you could use already existing forum software (I believe that's what the ogrr developer did),
or a wiki engine (mediawiki has a lot of extensions and is extremely configurable)

zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:27:59 PM

There is also a huge market just to talk to native english speakers. My city is plastered with language labs and private tutorial advertisements where students can just practice english and they all appear sold out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: