Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:22:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Idea] Network couriers paid by bitcoin  (Read 1728 times)
Jointops420 (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:13:10 AM

Someone here in OZ has come up with the idea of couriering stuff near your home for you to deliver on your way home from work as an income topper, if this was paid by Bitcoin it could streamline so many aspects of this biz. I dont have the biz or funding abilities to take it further but thought I would bring it to the forum for thought.

http://m.news.com.au/NSWACT/fi993688.htm;jsessionid=FEEB66914B047E7DDA4CD7A1EE863B34
Turning commuters into couriers
March 31, 2012 12:00AM

A TEAM of Aussie entrepreneurs has coupled the power of social media with the volume of traffic on city roads to create a delivery service that makes anyone an instant courier.

Formed in Melbourne but now operating in Sydney, online start- up company MeeMeep connects people who need something moved or delivered with motorists who are heading in the right direction.

Co-founder Rob Emmett said the result negated the need for expensive couriers and, because the drivers were already going close to the delivery address, it was an environmentally friendly alternative.

"I was watching empty cars and vans going back and forth and I thought: 'Wouldn't it be great if we could harness all that commuter movement'," he said.

"What's stopping us connecting the physical power of people with the digital power of the internet?"

Potential drivers hook up on the MeeMeep site with people who want items delivered, with a fee negotiated between the pair before the delivery takes place....

Live updates about new jobs are posted on the company's Facebook page. Mr Emmett said prices usually varied from $5-$50 per job and worked out to be about 40 per cent cheaper than commercial couriers.

He cited as an example workers travelling from the CBD to their outer suburban homes every day.

He said they could align with a business that needed regular deliveries from the CBD to the suburb and get paid to do what they were already doing.

"There is also a huge market out there for pick-up only items from sites like eBay, Trading Post and Gumtree and a lot of interstate movement of items like beds, picture frames, hard drives and wardrobes," Mr Emmett said.

"It's an attractive proposition for people who have one-off items to move and don't have enough stuff to fill a removals truck.  - Neil Keene

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:21:51 AM

interesting idea. Not sure yet if i think its good or not, but certainly interesting =)

Could possibly see a market for interstate deliveries.

thanks for posting up

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:29:35 AM

So taht means I can drive to work _and_ get a free package every once in a while? Grin

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 01:35:44 AM

This is a good idea, and it's called bitdrop, do a search.

I was going to get started building it (had worked out all the theory for implementation) but kind of got caught up in GLBSE and haven't had time since.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Jointops420 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:39:57 AM

So taht means I can drive to work _and_ get a free package every once in a while? Grin

I imagine your reputation would stop that fairly quick. Bitcoin escrowed then released on delivery through a phone would allow instant payment on delivery. I like the idea of using networks for paid tasks like this is great and the more bizz like this that starts up the better, bitcoin is so fitting to this type of thing.

I was going to get started building it (had worked out all the theory for implementation) but kind of got caught up in GLBSE and haven't had time since.

Soz must of missed that.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 02:11:29 AM

Found it!

Yeah, I think dude wth a bycicle/truck/car/running shoes would be much more realistic starting off.

Or using shopping carts owned by the homeless.

A BitDrop entrepreneur.

Seriously, I think BitDrop is an excellent idea, one I once had but never mentioned on this forum. The whole business model could easily be based on the use of Bitcoin. I envision a lot of people doing this sort of thing as a full time job. All getting paid instantly with Bitcoin. Of course, you'll have your part-timers and, as the OP and Nefario have outlined, people making gas money since they're going from A-to-B already/daily. I can see the trusted full-timers donning a uniform, of sorts, with the BitDrop logo on a shirt. All an entrepreneur would need is a mode of transportation, a smartphone, and pay for his own BitDrop shirt(s), that being enough for a uniform. This would be ideal for a man, woman, student, and yes, a person down on their luck who owns a smartphone.

~Bruno~
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 03:07:22 AM

Found it!

Yeah, I think dude wth a bycicle/truck/car/running shoes would be much more realistic starting off.

Or using shopping carts owned by the homeless.

A BitDrop entrepreneur.

Seriously, I think BitDrop is an excellent idea, one I once had but never mentioned on this forum. The whole business model could easily be based on the use of Bitcoin. I envision a lot of people doing this sort of thing as a full time job. All getting paid instantly with Bitcoin. Of course, you'll have your part-timers and, as the OP and Nefario have outlined, people making gas money since they're going from A-to-B already/daily. I can see the trusted full-timers donning a uniform, of sorts, with the BitDrop logo on a shirt. All an entrepreneur would need is a mode of transportation, a smartphone, and pay for his own BitDrop shirt(s), that being enough for a uniform. This would be ideal for a man, woman, student, and yes, a person down on their luck who owns a smartphone.

~Bruno~

this ^^  Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Jointops420 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 05:46:24 AM

Heres the reply I got from Meemeep asking if they would consider using bitcoin as an option. I am not that eloquent with business speak etc so maybe one of you evangelists can open a dialogue with them on how well bitcoin could integrate.

Hi John - thanks for your feedback about MeeMeep. I didn't know of bitcoin, but have just had a quick look - thanks for the heads up.

Our current payment gateway is through xxxbank and has been tailored specifically for our needs. But, as a new idea ourselves, we love when we see other newbees - especially ones operating in that collaborative/P2P space. We will watch it with interest. Thanks again for taking the time for contacting us.

Kind regards
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:49:32 PM

i can't imagine this sort of thing being remotely secure. but then, i'm bias'd by some of the wonderfully unscrupulous people i know.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 01:55:56 PM

Heres the reply I got from Meemeep asking if they would consider using bitcoin as an option. I am not that eloquent with business speak etc so maybe one of you evangelists can open a dialogue with them on how well bitcoin could integrate.

Hi John - thanks for your feedback about MeeMeep. I didn't know of bitcoin, but have just had a quick look - thanks for the heads up.

Our current payment gateway is through xxxbank and has been tailored specifically for our needs. But, as a new idea ourselves, we love when we see other newbees - especially ones operating in that collaborative/P2P space. We will watch it with interest. Thanks again for taking the time for contacting us.

Kind regards

Business speak for "cool, thanks bro" and then do nothing.

Don't take it hard, it's a lot of work running any new business idea, and they probably don't have the time to even look into bitcoin, never mind work with it.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 09:53:47 AM

I imagine your reputation would stop that fairly quick. Bitcoin escrowed then released on delivery through a phone would allow instant payment on delivery. I like the idea of using networks for paid tasks like this is great and the more bizz like this that starts up the better, bitcoin is so fitting to this type of thing.

How is this better than using Paypal to transfer USD/EUR/... instead? Yes, I know PP can be a pain in the rear, but often enough it isn't to still have some trust from everyday Joe.

Also, about my reputation: I would of course use a fake ID, deliver a handful of packets and then start stealing once I am trusted with something valuable. If you need to list the value of your packet you attract people who are after valuable packets, if you don't list the value of the thing you're sending, it won't be insured and it's easier to build trust by delivering 50 with 1 USD inside and then steal the one with 1000 USD inside...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: