Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:52:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Economy - a tool for product discovery - search coming pretty soon  (Read 1968 times)
spenvo (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2011, 02:44:07 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2011, 07:05:50 PM by spenvo

To see the plugin, visit http://www.api.bitcoinbulletin.com/!  Here's a screenshot of the plugin (javascript cannot be embedded in a forum post):

"bitcoin economy" - serendipitous product discovery - Showing to the world that our economy offers more than Alpaca socks.

About two months ago, we (@jostmey and myself) tried tweaking Google’s Custom Search to create a focused BTC search experience.

We weren’t impressed with the results and discontinued the Google search feature.  That whole experience highlighted the need for an index of the Bitcoin economy.

We've got a big challenge ahead of us, as indexing all of these pages takes lots and lots of bandwidth!  Support is welcome: 1JSv4mydZJoQ9wjXeFau9AmpofcHrsMFvW

• The basic purpose of the plugin is to make this BTC economy discoverable.
  • Search is on the way.  It’ll be here in a few weeks.
  • Depending on the level of interest, we may make parts of this initiative open-sourced or crowd sourced.  We may use an input system that incorporates the Bitcoin-OTC reputation system.
  • The database is pretty small right now but will become more comprehensive as time passes.
  • There will probably be alternative ways to digest the Bitcoin Economy stream, like an IRC channel similar to what Bitcoin Market for exchange rates (thanks mizerdearia for this suggestion).

Jared is leading the development on this because he’s awesome and a great coder.  You can reach him at jared at bitcoinbulletin dot com.

The following line of Javascript will enable the plugin on your page:

<script src=”http://api.bitcoinbulletin.com/btceconomy” type=”text/javascript”></script>

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jostmey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

Thanks for the post Spencer,

I am really pleased with how the plugin turned out. It is my hope that this plugin will help show the rest of the world that the bitcoin community is alive and vibrant. And that we have lots of stuff to sell!

I would appreciate any feedback about the plugin. I want to know how I can make it better. My focus right now is on allowing other people to submit their own items to the plugin, and to see their items appear immediately in the feed.

AGHAGHAGH! So much work left to do :-)

- Jared

P.S. Let me know if anyone discovers any bugs or glitches. I will try to fix them promptly.

Search Bitcoin
Discover the bitcoin economy
jostmey

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2011, 05:35:21 PM

Please give me feedback!  Huh

Search Bitcoin
TurboHz

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 06:40:21 PM

Interesting idea, and cool execution.

I think the automatic rotation of items should pause when you interact with it.
jostmey

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2011, 07:14:53 PM

Interesting idea, and cool execution.

I think the automatic rotation of items should pause when you interact with it.

That is a really good idea. I won't have time to write the code and try it out until this weekend.

Search Bitcoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: