Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:00:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Import private key without special software?  (Read 1417 times)
Dan The Man (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:48:20 PM

Is there any website that can import a private key and send all of those Bitcoins to a new public address? I know that some special clients can do this, but I don't want to download them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 09:51:53 PM

Is there any website that can import a private key and send all of those Bitcoins to a new public address? I know that some special clients can do this, but I don't want to download them.
I think blockchain.info can sweep funds

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:54:35 PM

It can't sweep, but you can import private keys with the latest ( > 0.6.0 ) client with the importprivkey command.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Dan The Man (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:57:13 PM

Thanks, it appears to have worked.

I think a single functionality website that does this might be a good idea. Just have one field to import a private key, and another address field to pass all of the bitcoins to.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 10:00:56 PM

I would do it with all funds but 1%... Wink

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 10:01:50 PM

You can import private keys into MtGox

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Dan The Man (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 10:04:31 PM

I would do it with all funds but 1%... Wink

1% sure okay? I already started a transaction with blockchain.info but if you (or anyone else) can get it through faster you can have the 1%. I'll use the honor system here:

private key is: 139y8rA5Wn1aDVQgRWQWPVPPj5iUPkpJxS
forwarding address is: 1KrcRXSozroB3Xj3bFiCun1pjEx89GxjD8
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 10:31:49 PM

I think a single functionality website that does this might be a good idea. Just have one field to import a private key, and another address field to pass all of the bitcoins to.
A site like this could steal all of your funds.

I guess Blockchain.info must only sweep when you login since the keys are all encrypted.

Dan The Man (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 10:34:52 PM

I guess Blockchain.info must only sweep when you login since the keys are all encrypted.

Obviously any site handling bitcoins could steal. Instawallet, Blockchain, Mt Gox are no different. But people trust them because they have been around. The site I proposed would be even better because that nobody would be holding money on that site, so at most they can only steal whatever funds go through in the time it takes people to realize they are stealing.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 10:36:26 PM

Obviously any site handling bitcoins could steal. Instawallet, Blockchain, Mt Gox are no different. But people trust them because they have been around. The site I proposed would be even better because that nobody would be holding money on that site, so at most they can only steal whatever funds go through in the time it takes people to realize they are stealing.
The point of blockchain is that they CAN'T steal your funds.  The keys are all encrypted on their servers and only the customer knows how to decrypt them.

Although now that I read this... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78081.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: