Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] / Trade: Decent Laptop  (Read 894 times)
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:23:55 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2012, 03:38:04 AM by Garr255

Hey all,

Recently a friend dropped my laptop, and when I take it apart it looks fine, so I'm assuming its a microscopic crack somewhere in the mobo.

Anyway, I'm searching for a new one. I'd like an i5 (possibly i3) and dedicated/upgradable graphics. I don't really have a brand preference, my current laptop is an HP dv6500, and has lasted over six years of being toted around.

I'm about to sell an XFX 5830 (sold), a Blackberry Playbook, and possibly a 5850, all are in pristine condition. I also do tech-related projects for btc, (currently working on a fan controller for rjk's über rig).
I'd also like to sell or part out that HP. Let me know if you're interested.

If you have or know of a good place to get a laptop like this cheaply, I'd appreciate the info.

-Garrett

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 03:38:56 AM

(reserved) <-- (instead of saying "bump")

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 07:06:52 AM

(reserved) <-- (instead of saying "bump")

You just said bump in your post.

You can fix up microscopic cracks with microscope and conductive glue.
I hope this helps
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:38:58 PM

I've got an Asus G73-W that I'm considering selling, that's probably beyond the price/spec that you're looking for though by the sound of it  Tongue
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 04:53:54 PM

I have a friend with one of those and it is awesome. What's less awesome is how the price of laptops rises linearly with the specs Tongue So if you ever feel like throwing it on the ground, just tell me when and where and I'll catch it!

You can fix up microscopic cracks with microscope and conductive glue.
I hope this helps

I'll be looking into that, thanks.

I still would like a new laptop though, so I'd be selling the old one if I did fix it.

AzN1337c0d3r

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 10:52:24 PM

Actually I'd recommend to take out the motherboard and reflow the solder on it with an oven. Most likely you knocked a joint loose or something.

Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 01:26:59 AM

Actually I'd recommend to take out the motherboard and reflow the solder on it with an oven. Most likely you knocked a joint loose or something.
I've heard of doing that before, should I try that first or use the microscope tactic? Or maybe a better question is: Is the risk of baking it low enough to try that first?

Would it make sense, depending on where the circuit is broken, for it to turn all the power lights on for 5-15 seconds, then turn off without posting or even showing anything on the screen?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: