Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:11:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new Humble Bundle and bitcoins not accepted -- make your voice heard  (Read 6783 times)
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 06:23:17 PM

I've emailed them just now, hopefully as they see the growing support for bitcoin in their inbox, they might take a second look at accepting it.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Comodore

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:51:57 AM

Email sucessfully sent. Hope this would work.
merve10495

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:55:51 AM

How can they have that stupid 'Buy with Google' but not 'Bitcoins'.
Sending an e-mail now.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 11:03:46 AM

Setting up a "buy with bitcoin" button is trivial with bit-pay, even if you don't have a shopping cart. The revenues can be split in coins and fiat, and always sent the next day to a bank account or bitcoin address by bit-pay's tos. I appreciate the work these guys do but they are being picky, just like wikipedia, accepting bitcoin.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:59:59 AM

Let's keep the pressure on.
And while you are at it, please consider to also send an email to dealextreme.com
See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96393.0

We need more merchants talking bitcoin - and if they prefer to convert to fiat via bit-pay or paysius, that is ok - as long as the "bitcoin accepted here" logo is right there next to paypal.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 01:11:31 PM

Let's keep the pressure on.
+1

And while you are at it, please consider to also send an email to dealextreme.com
Done.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
lenny_
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 01:30:38 PM

E-mail sent as well  Smiley

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
SuperP

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:26:26 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2012, 03:30:43 PM by SuperP

The Humble Bundle has worked closely with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.  I wouldn't be surprised if the EFF's stance on bitcoin has something to do with their decision.  Their reasons for not accepting are here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin.  The only thing that has changed is #2.  They can now use a service like bit-pay to accept dollars instead of bitcoin.  We have to point this out to them, but I'm afraid it might not be enough.

What we need to do is everyone publicly pledge the amount of bitcoin that we'll pay (the Bitcoin 100 program is set up for this).  And then reach out to the artists and charities and show them how much they are not getting by the Humble Bundle refusing to accept bitcoin.

(Just left a comment on the Bitcoin 100 Thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74400.new#new)
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:30:02 PM

I messaged them a year ago and they said they weren't interested.
sebnow

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 05:39:08 PM

I also emailed them today, and I got this really disappointing reply:

I received the same, and replied stating that I will no longer be supporting Humble Bundle until Bitcoin is supported as a payment option. There are quality alternatives to HB popping up that accept Bitcoin. It might also help to contact the individual artists and game devs.

What's truly aggravating is that Mt. Gox had participated with $4,096 worth late last year.
Offtopic: Could you provide examples of such alternatives? I've only heard of Indie Gala, but it doesn't accept Bitcoin, and I haven't seen any great games in the last two.

Edit: I noticed Game Dev Bundle being mentioned in the Reddit thread.
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 09:09:18 PM

Hey Chris,

Thanks for emailing us! The EFF has a great statement on BitCoin that closely follows our feelings toward BitCoin, which is available here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

“We don’t fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system. Bitcoin raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payments Act, tax evasion, consumer protection and money laundering, among others. And that’s just in the U.S. While EFF is often the defender of people ensnared in legal issues arising from new technologies, we try very hard to keep EFF from becoming the actual subject of those fights or issues. Since there is no caselaw on this topic, and the legal implications are still very unclear, we worry that our acceptance of Bitcoins may move us into the possible subject role.”

We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.

Thank you for your support,

Support Ninja
Humble Bundle

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
Comodore

Activity: 159

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:57:27 AM

Hey Chris,

Thanks for emailing us! The EFF has a great statement on BitCoin that closely follows our feelings toward BitCoin, which is available here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

“We don’t fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system. Bitcoin raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payments Act, tax evasion, consumer protection and money laundering, among others. And that’s just in the U.S. While EFF is often the defender of people ensnared in legal issues arising from new technologies, we try very hard to keep EFF from becoming the actual subject of those fights or issues. Since there is no caselaw on this topic, and the legal implications are still very unclear, we worry that our acceptance of Bitcoins may move us into the possible subject role.”

We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.

Thank you for your support,

Support Ninja
Humble Bundle

I received equivalent e-mail. So what can we do now?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 11:07:13 AM

We can leave them alone. Coordinating a massive spam attack was a bad idea even before they explained their reason to avoid Bitcoin (however little sense it makes).

The Humble bundle will change their mind with time, until then there are other organizations needing our help learning about Bitcoin and starting to accept payments.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 11:37:45 AM

We can leave them alone. Coordinating a massive spam attack was a bad idea even before they explained their reason to avoid Bitcoin (however little sense it makes).

The Humble bundle will change their mind with time, until then there are other organizations needing our help learning about Bitcoin and starting to accept payments.

^ definitely this, I'm writing emails about bitcoin to any blog owner or small organization I encounter when reading my morning press

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 09:02:29 PM

Ah, interesting. Before finding this thread I thought about chatting with them (there is a small chat window on their page) about bitcoin donations and Bitpay.
Soon enough some guy Drew responded and gave me the very same (word by word) answer as you guys received in emails.
Drew: Hey there, We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.
It seems they are very well aware about bitcoins since they have a preset answer at hand even when chatting:

Ah, crap..another bitcoin freak...copy>paste, done.
Grix

Activity: 536

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 09:56:01 PM

There's one issue with their stance though, and that it that the EFF article they link to are over a year old, from around the time of the bubble last year. How much time will have to pass before they are comfortable with bitcoin's legal status? With this pace it'll be years until that time..

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:25:21 PM

How much time will have to pass before they are comfortable with bitcoin's legal status?

An idea whose time has come cannot be denied. It'll happen when it happens, though I don't think it'll be too long. Smiley
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 01:36:15 PM

The day finally arrived Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200564.msg0

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:54:13 PM

So, our evil plans for global domination are working, goooood.

sid7039

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:48:47 PM

It's very sad - Humble Bundle is experiencing issues with Bitcoin payments and have temporarily removed this option from their site.

Also they don't have ETA on when Bitcoin will be available again as a payment option so it looks little worse than just technical issues Sad

People, please write to them to start accepting BTC again as I have.

Regards!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: