Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:51:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: latest rally started with Diablo3 open beta opening  (Read 5241 times)
Philj (OP)

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 10:03:18 PM

The rally from $5.10 started as soon as the open beta for Diablo3 went online.

Discuss  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 10:04:25 PM

Wow, imagine what will happen when Diablo4 will release?!

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
Uncurlhalo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

|Argus| Accounting and Auditing on the Blockchain

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 10:06:32 PM

Lol. You so silly.

Argus the revolution in making
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:06:49 PM

it's also 4/20 today Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:07:16 PM

that's not for another 20 years

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:09:48 PM

it's also 4/20 today Smiley

oh that's why... everyone forgot to buy weed for 4/20 their only buying it now

silly stoners it takes a week to ship the damn stuff  Wink

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:16:22 PM

I doubt the rally has anything to do with Diablo but tbh D3 might boost Bitcoin quite nicely. Afaik there is not going to be an official real money trading system for the hardcore mode which means that ogrr.com might become very popular. Ogrr.com is a gaming trade community that uses bitcoins.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
PinkBatman

Activity: 267

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 10:17:48 PM

Dealers must be accepting BTC as payment now. Waiting around in back alleys for confirms is probably pretty sketchy though.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:22:07 PM

I doubt the rally has anything to do with Diablo but tbh D3 might boost Bitcoin quite nicely. Afaik there is not going to be an official real money trading system for the hardcore mode which means that ogrr.com might become very popular. Ogrr.com is a gaming trade community that uses bitcoins.

yes i will play HC and i will use bitcoins to trade gear, both buying and selling
I'm ready with digital 2 copies the second the real sever is online  Cheesy

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2012, 10:37:40 PM

Dealers must be accepting BTC as payment now. Waiting around in back alleys for confirms is probably pretty sketchy though.

dude you really think someone would be dumb enough to rip off a dealer... he knows where you live!

PinkBatman

Activity: 267

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 10:50:01 PM

I guess Montana dealers are just nice guys  Tongue
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:38:18 AM

that's not for another 20 years

...if we can rely on their approximate release date, that is.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:40:01 AM

Discuss  Grin
Shocked Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! AHHH! Losing time, losing time, losing time, losing time!!!
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:41:05 AM

yes i will play HC and i will use bitcoins to trade gear, both buying and selling

Ha, instead of playing around with money all the time we should join in for a game together. Or are you just gonna have a bot get magic items for you? Can I make a reservation for a Stone of Jordan? Thx.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 07:13:31 AM
Last edit: April 21, 2012, 07:32:14 AM by Kluge

Discuss  Grin
Shocked Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! AHHH! Losing time, losing time, losing time, losing time!!!
..... How is it possible to make a cheesy Diablo game? I'm utterly confused by the experience I just had.

In Diablo II, you are presented a moral dilemma of whether or not to kill men on fire, chained to a pillar surrounded by grotesque beings, but who are target-able as a foe and attack you while in range of them. In Diablo III, you wonder if it might be considered rude to peruse Leah's room between looking at the cool physics effects and listening to the comic-book-like voice-acting of the Skeleton King as a magical goblin who drops gold coins bounces down a hallway.  Huh

ETA: Well.... Okay, I guess D2 did have one silly streak, but you really had to want to see it.

waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 09:35:16 AM

Noob question: hc mode is when ur char dies is lost forever, or?
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:25:37 PM

Positive. All you can do is have someone pick up your items and money, but only if you "shared" your corpse with them, and they are with you in the game. Of course you won't be able to wear most of your own stuff on a new char for quite some time, depending on your former lvl and items.
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:30:56 PM

Well, the silk road has been having a massive one-day sale event  Tongue
waspoza

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:45:46 PM

Positive. All you can do is have someone pick up your items and money, but only if you "shared" your corpse with them, and they are with you in the game. Of course you won't be able to wear most of your own stuff on a new char for quite some time, depending on your former lvl and items.

Looks interesting, but too frustrating for my taste. Smiley
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:58:58 PM

Looks interesting, but too frustrating for my taste. Smiley

It's the best feature of Diablo. People have to be really careful not to die. There are some ways to do that. Don't play alone, don't open doors and run in. If your mercenary dies, go back into town immediately or log off the game. Good customizable items and a good match of those items can protect you from dying. If you could just start over and revive your char, noone would spend real money on the game in trading. Also, this applies to real life as well. Life wouldn't mean shit if it wasn't limited.
waspoza

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 02:06:07 PM

Hmm maybe ill give it a try then. Drops in hc mode are better quality than in normal, right?
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 02:39:19 PM

Hmm maybe ill give it a try then. Drops in hc mode are better quality than in normal, right?

They are the same items I suppose, except only hc items work on hc chars. So, sc items are useless and pretty much worthless imo. I once bought an item on ebay back in the days because I died while my friends didn't. I wanted to join up with them as fast as possible (low level chars can hardly play along with the big guys) so I bought a charm to give me x-amount of gained experience to level up much faster. Yes, it's cheating in a way but I died as a Lvl 65 and Lvl 93 Sorc and the last thing you want to do then is to start the game over again without a pimped char. Those items that can really help you to get back in the game quickly are extremely rare. You'd have to have a powerful team equipped with clothes for magic, and having finished the entire game three times on all difficulty levels in order to hunt sellable items. But in the end it is possible to make gaming a day (and night)time job. Got laid off? Oh come on, put a frozen pizza in the oven and play some Dia, make some cash.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2012, 07:05:08 PM

bitcoin has potential to be used for trade of diabloIII items. I don't think it has to be restricted to the hardcore niche. (Hardcore players will be less prone to paying for items anyway). Blizzards RMAH will be too cumbersome to use properly without a credit card, and you are at mercy of Blizzards quirks if you use it.
Fees are a pain, so here can bitcoin shine.

It will take a while though till the first practical solution will come up, my guess is a few months to a year.
The current spike has nothing to do with it imo. It is the self-fulfilling prophecy of 4.20, pretty crappy in general without fundamental effect. Since we are going down straight away it seems some guys were too gullible. Classical pump & dump.

For a sustained thing we'll have to wait till 15. may, the release date and there after, and watch.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 11:42:39 PM

How much do u all think ogrr.com will profit from the new diablo THIS TIME? Because there is this new blizzard facilitated auction house:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/services/auction-house/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ir6zrHXuO0

In contrast to outside-of-battle.net trading (e.g. with Bitcoins), it offers lots of filters, like those that only show you what your character would be able to wear, instant use after purchase and great visual presentation.
In addition one or two barriers less, because players dont have to sign up with another community if they use the battle.net option and wont have to deal with Bitcoin.

On the other hand: There will be some fees charged by blizzard

and according to the guy on the video: there will be NO TRADE in hardcore mode (dont ax me Y).
Tril

Activity: 213

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 04:44:32 AM

and according to the guy on the video: there will be NO TRADE in hardcore mode (dont ax me Y).

Obviously because Blizzard doesn't want to deal with complaints from crazy people who spend real money on HC items and immediately die and lose the items. 

So there's a stress test going on right now or something?
Philj (OP)

Activity: 388

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 01:47:19 PM

How much do u all think ogrr.com will profit from the new diablo THIS TIME? Because there is this new blizzard facilitated auction house:

I think there will be a lot of use for more mundane things under $10. Right now Blizzard charges $1.25 for each item sold (not sure on PayPal fees in addition), so there isn't much point in selling cheaper items. like perhaps crafting materials. If there is a market for $50+ items, then those will most likely go through the RMAH due to the security of paying Blizzard and letting them handle the transaction.

The biggest advantage to the RMAH is there is 0 chance to be scammed. There is no "you send first" or reputation, its all handled by Blizzard.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 08:27:36 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2012, 08:44:15 PM by ElectricMucus

Obviously because Blizzard doesn't want to deal with complaints from crazy people who spend real money on HC items and immediately die and lose the items.  

Yep.

I was able to play 2 characters, till the first boss (skeleton king) seems a pretty well though out game.
Judging what items are worth is difficult now since only about 20min of the game is available and the item details aren't accessible on the battle.net website either.
But considering that Blizzard built their revenue model around the items it is conceivable that some of them will be traded for quite a few BTC.

It will depend on whenever there are going to be duping exploits or not. I heard there was one in the beta for a while but it was fixed quickly.
Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 09:14:44 PM

.. If you could just start over and revive your char, noone would spend real money on the game in trading. Also, this applies to real life as well. Life wouldn't mean shit if it wasn't limited.

I would agree to the first quote as well: hardcore players are the ones that really get into the game and are willing to spend money on it. Often they keep their main characters for weeks if not month!

So to me that statement given by Blizzard and stated in the video, not wanting to upset hc players to me is just an excuse to test the waters with the auction house. Because the real money is in the hc mode! If everything goes well with the standard mode, they can open trade as well for hc without risking a real image damage.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 10:19:10 PM

I would agree to the first quote as well: hardcore players are the ones that really get into the game and are willing to spend money on it. Often they keep their main characters for weeks if not month!

So to me that statement given by Blizzard and stated in the video, not wanting to upset hc players to me is just an excuse to test the waters with the auction house. Because the real money is in the hc mode! If everything goes well with the standard mode, they can open trade as well for hc without risking a real image damage.

Have you ever played DiabloII hardcore mode?
I did quite extensively and at times exclusively and can tell you you are totally wrong.

Hardcore players play the game in such a way that the character builds are using their items they are likely to find or found with a previous character.
This has gone to the point where you played areas which according to the statistics from datamined game files will give you the items for your next characters.
Besides for items for lowlevel dueling I wouldn't have payed a cent.

You will find this attitude common on all DII hardcore players and my guess is DIII will be no different.
R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2012, 11:00:50 PM

Bitcoin won't exist in 2040.
Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 01:03:12 AM

Have you ever played DiabloII hardcore mode?
I did quite extensively and at times exclusively and can tell you you are totally wrong.

Hardcore players play the game in such a way that the character builds are using their items they are likely to find or found with a previous character.
This has gone to the point where you played areas which according to the statistics from datamined game files will give you the items for your next characters.
Besides for items for lowlevel dueling I wouldn't have payed a cent.

You will find this attitude common on all DII hardcore players and my guess is DIII will be no different.

You r right, I have never played DII but maybe you have a different player mentality than others players, who dont mind paying some dollars for cool new stuff?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:07:09 AM

Diablo 2 players played hardcore for a challenge and the rush you get from having "risks". Buying items would contradict that.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 02:35:58 AM

Diablo 2 players played hardcore for a challenge and the rush you get from having "risks". Buying items would contradict that.

if i can pay someone .50cents to gear me up a bit when i'm lvl 12... ill to it

when you die (and you know you will) paying a few dollors for a rush or something will be temping

R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 08:03:26 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2012, 11:58:52 AM by BadBear

As well as being able to revive when you die by paying a fee.
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 08:36:54 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2012, 11:59:01 AM by BadBear

You'd still have to put in a lot of effort to level up again. So, it's not like you can pay a fee and have you old char back. Gaining experience (points) takes a long time. It's just a matter of either days, or otherwise weeks of playing.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 12:09:10 PM

This has been shot down by Blizz, and it also helps to illustrate my point. 

This concept was initially floated in a forum post by Blizzard's Diablo 3 Community Manager Bashiok, in July 2009. [4]. Reaction from the Hardcore community was fairly outraged and almost entirely negative[5], and when the issue came up again in April 2010, Bashiok said it had been pretty much ruled out.[6]

...I have though heard Jay (who is lead designer) say that paying to bring back hardcore is pretty much a horrible idea.

People who play hardcore play for the challenge and risks associated with it. Making it easier by reviving your character or buying gear just makes it pointless. People who would do that just play softcore.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 12:18:14 PM

This has been shot down by Blizz, and it also helps to illustrate my point. 

This concept was initially floated in a forum post by Blizzard's Diablo 3 Community Manager Bashiok, in July 2009. [4]. Reaction from the Hardcore community was fairly outraged and almost entirely negative[5], and when the issue came up again in April 2010, Bashiok said it had been pretty much ruled out.[6]

...I have though heard Jay (who is lead designer) say that paying to bring back hardcore is pretty much a horrible idea.

People who play hardcore play for the challenge and risks associated with it. Making it easier by reviving your character or buying gear just makes it pointless. People who would do that just play softcore.
Maybe almost everyone feels that way, but some people (even if not the majority or even >1% of players) may seek to appear "hardcore" (or have a better chance of achieving something worth talking about in hardcore mode) among those who have actually taken the risk and put in the effort to be "hardcore." For those people, it may seem more valuable to have the Staff of Ultimate Sheep Herding (or whatever) on a hardcore server than a normal server. *shrug* I don't doubt there'll be a market -- I'd guess it won't be particularly large. As long as there's demand to buy items on hardcore servers for currency which doesn't have to be earned in-game, there'll be a way to buy it, and if you can't use the Blizz service, consumers will go elsewhere.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 12:34:59 PM

Oh sure there will be some, quite a few probably especially at release and a few months afterward. People who don't really want to play HC but do it cause their friends are, or people who think they want to play HC (because it's hardcore  Roll Eyes) but really don't, or people playing it as a status symbol, etc. Just keeping y'all grounded in reality.

I got in the beta for D3, played one char to lvl 12, "beat" the beta and then never played it again. I just don't have the time or motivation for video games I used to have. So many other things to do.  

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:05:16 PM

I don't really get the point of the whole hardcore discussion.

Don't you think BTC will be able to compete with Blizzards RMAH system? To get an idea on what's possible: RMAH will be ebay, Bitcoin craigslist. (hopefully)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:28:34 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2012, 01:41:05 PM by BadBear

TBH I don't either, I had to look back to see why the discussion even veered that way. There's definitely room for bitcoin in trading. OGRR is a good start.

Hardcore players are a minority, no need to focus on them anyway.

Zotia

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 08:24:08 PM

I am someone who has actually bought and sold items in Diablo II.

First, I want to say that the numbers I am about to give are approximate and can vary wildly based upon realm, ladder vs non-ladder, and classic vs expack.

-SC is significantly more popular than HC (about 5:1).

-The quantity of posts about SC trading is significantly larger than for HC (about 5:1).

-Useful but easy to get items are worthless in SC, but can sell for some pocket change in HC.  While the items are easy to get, they are destroyed when a character dies in HC.  In SC, the supply of these items will keep rising until demand is exceeded, but in HC some of these items remain valuable because people die faster than the items can be replaced.

-Items that are very hard to find are significantly more valuable in HC than in SC (about 5:1) since the supply of them is so low.

-Items that are absurdly hard to find are more valued similarly SC and HC.  This is because most people are not willing to spend 100 USD  (or more) on a single item.   In SC, the number of players is greater and so the number of these kind of people is also greater.  In addition, SC players get to keep the item forever, while HC players risk loosing the item.

-Both SC and HC have PvP communities.   People who like to PvP are more likey to buy gear.  HC PvP isn't as common, but HC PvPers have to rebuild their character when they die so they will spend a lot more time and money in total than SC players.

-HC seems to have more "traders" than SC.  What I mean by this is that in SC, there are a lot of people who will buy items for money, but never sell items for money.  This is because finding items that are worth money is harder in SC than in HC.  In HC, seems to have larger number of people who both buy and sell items.  This is because when you spend a long time without dying you will gain a lot of items that are valuable, and when you die you will suddenly have an increased need for items.

IMO, having low transaction fees (such as with BTC) would really be a good thing for D2/D3 HC.  Unfortunately, I don't see why BTC would take off for D3 when D2JSP has such a monopoly on D2 trading.  It seems that people would need a very good reason to switch a way from D2JSP when D3 comes out.

▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
███████                ██████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▀▀▀▀██    ██▀▀▀▀███████
███████    ██    ██    ███████
███████    ▀██▄▄██▀    ███████
███████▄     ▀▀▀▀     ▄███████
████████▄            ▄████████
██████████▄▄      ▄▄██████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
.TokenUnion.

Reinventing Savings via Cryptoeconomically
Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
■  Telegram     ■  Github
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 08:32:54 PM

IMO, having low transaction fees (such as with BTC) would really be a good thing for D2/D3 HC.  Unfortunately, I don't see why BTC would take off for D3 when D2JSP has such a monopoly on D2 trading.  It seems that people would need a very good reason to switch a way from D2JSP when D3 comes out.

D2JSP uses some kind of forum gold?

Zotia

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 09:25:40 PM

Yes.   Because it uses forum gold instead of actual money, it makes it harder to switch to another site due to the network effect.

.TokenUnion.

Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 09:41:19 PM

Yes.   Because it uses forum gold instead of actual money, it makes it harder to switch to another site due to the network effect.

We just need to convince the community not to entrust the operators with monetary supply control, and then Bitcoin can be the solution to operators need for their new community issue.  And by we, I mean you guys, because I've never played Diablo.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 10:15:02 PM

Yes.   Because it uses forum gold instead of actual money, it makes it harder to switch to another site due to the network effect.

We just need to convince the community not to entrust the operators with monetary supply control, and then Bitcoin can be the solution to operators need for their new community issue.  And by we, I mean you guys, because I've never played Diablo.

We just need to start trading diablo3 items for bitcoin amongst our self's and others will follow

@Zotia  will you trade diablo3 items using bitcoin?

Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:59:30 PM

TARGET THE NEW PLAYERS!

Those playing diablo online for the first time are not bound to any network yet, so they can start using BTC in ogrr. D3 will gather alot of new players, they are free to choose and can grow a significant community that uses BTC.
Zotia

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:51:01 PM

We just need to start trading diablo3 items for bitcoin amongst our self's and others will follow
That's a good point.

One problem in D2 is that there are eight ways to play (classic or expack, ladder or non-ladder, SC or HC... 2*2*2=8) and there are 6 realms (east, west, euro, asia1, asia2 and asia3) for a total of 48 places you can make your character.  With D3, it looks like there will be only SC/HC and 6 realms, for a total of 12 places you can make your character.

That should make it somewhat easier to start a new community since you won't need as many people before the network effect starts to take effect.

If there is a bitcoin trading site that has enough buyers and sellers then yes.

For example, on Ogrr.com on the USEast classic forum, there are only 5 threads. https://ogrr.com/forum.php?f=122
-4 are SCCL (Softcore classic ladder)
-1 is SCCNL (Softcore classic non-ladder)
-0 are HCCL (Hardcore classic ladder)
-0 are HCCNL (Hardcore classic non-ladder)

As you can imagine, it wouldn't work very well to trade with such few people.

.TokenUnion.

Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 12:14:43 AM

That's a good point.

One problem in D2 is that there are eight ways to play (classic or expack, ladder or non-ladder, SC or HC... 2*2*2=8) and there are 6 realms (east, west, euro, asia1, asia2 and asia3) for a total of 48 places you can make your character.  With D3, it looks like there will be only SC/HC and 6 realms, for a total of 12 places you can make your character.

That should make it somewhat easier to start a new community since you won't need as many people before the network effect starts to take effect.

If there is a bitcoin trading site that has enough buyers and sellers then yes.

For example, on Ogrr.com on the USEast classic forum, there are only 5 threads. https://ogrr.com/forum.php?f=122
-4 are SCCL (Softcore classic ladder)
-1 is SCCNL (Softcore classic non-ladder)
-0 are HCCL (Hardcore classic ladder)
-0 are HCCNL (Hardcore classic non-ladder)

As you can imagine, it wouldn't work very well to trade with such few people.

for sure their will be more people to trade with
I put up a poll a month ago and about 50 people from these forums will be using bitcoin to trade items.
I'll be one of them... I'll be selling all non-Wizard gear i find, and looking to buy Wizard gear
I'm making a Female Wizard called MissBitcoin!  Cheesy  HC - EAST 

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 04:43:54 PM

I don't really get the point of the whole hardcore discussion.
Because Hardcore won't have a RMAH.

(as a quick reminder, I'm a Blizzard MVP, so if you have anything that you want the CMs to answer, I can pass it along)

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 04:53:42 PM

Ogrr.com seems to have a very healthy growth rate (based on the amount of registered users). Diablo 3 isn't out yet so checking the amount of D3 posts right now is sort of non-indicative. Fact is there has been a good amount of D2 related trade which is a semi-dead game at this point. I see massive potential at least for the gamers who play hardcore mode. It needs some network effects though so keep forwarding any D3 HC players to that forum.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 04:58:52 PM

Ogrr.com seems to have a very healthy growth rate (based on the amount of registered users).

IIRC they were giving out btc for registering so I wouldn't read too much into that.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 05:09:11 PM

Ogrr.com seems to have a very healthy growth rate (based on the amount of registered users).

IIRC they were giving out btc for registering so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Dude, they solved the chicken and egg problem and are growing exponentially. To the moon!

This is what Bitcoiners really believe. Now if the hypers would activate their brains, they will notice that the growth has severely flattened even with the very low amount of users they currently have.

Also, see how many registered users are currently active on ogrr? TWO!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

I'm aware of that but the campaign is long over. Their userbase is still growing at a fast rate. It's obvious that the growth has declined from the bounty days but it hasn't died, far from it.

Blitz is trolling this particular subject, I for one have never claimed anything like that. Ogrr has a lot of potential but it's not the ticket to the moon. It's all about network effects, considering the opportunities there just hasn't been much to tap to. Diablo 2 is not a big deal anymore and many games have other ways to trade or trading just isn't a big deal. For D3 hardcore there just isn't any established trading communities and this is why it's actually plausible for a Bitcoin based site such as Ogrr, that has had moderate success, to gain a large userbase.

We don't know if it works out or not but I guess it's totally up to Ogrr management and userbase. They need to market the forum like there is no tomorrow once D3 comes out. There is a clear market there, the amount of D3 gamers will be absolutely huge, possibly more than any other game ever, which means that even for the hardcore mode alone there will be a lot of potential.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 05:38:19 PM

See, it’s difficult enough to establish a new community. Now when you try it with an unestablished currency, unfortunately it can be doubly as hard.

I think ogrr is a great idea and gamers might indeed embrace it for the ability to trade with a currency they can actually cash out and that cannot be frozen, but the reaction or expectations I’ve seen towards it from Bitcoiners are completely ridiculous, especially with regards to its growth.

I remember the days of when Silk Road was small in February to April, and back then they published the user and sales data. Gawker boosted them in May, and ever since then they are huge.

It’s going to take a long time.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 06:40:56 PM

See, it’s difficult enough to establish a new community. Now when you try it with an unestablished currency, unfortunately it can be doubly as hard.

I think ogrr is a great idea and gamers might indeed embrace it for the ability to trade with a currency they can actually cash out and that cannot be frozen, but the reaction or expectations I’ve seen towards it from Bitcoiners are completely ridiculous, especially with regards to its growth.

I remember the days of when Silk Road was small in February to April, and back then they published the user and sales data. Gawker boosted them in May, and ever since then they are huge.

It’s going to take a long time.

I for one can't wait to play and trade Smiley

I think we have a reasonably good change at getting gamers to trade with bitcoin, but like you said its not like the entire diablo community will start using bitcoins over night.... but bitcoin is really cool and easy to trade with (especially if you dont have to go to an exchange to get them), i would imagine many gamers will embrace bitcoin simply because they like the idea. lets not forget if you go in a game and you say bitcoin theirs a good chance no one knows wtf your talking about.

tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:24:38 PM

I'm hoping people ignore/migrate from forum gold.. it seems to be the "standard currency" by which items are now valued.  I'm hoping bitcoin overtakes that instead, and instead becomes a mix value of dollars/bitcoins (as maybe valued on the auction house). Smiley

That said I had registered at ogrr, and it seems like they have a pretty good system for transferring money (for trades) covered here:

https://ogrr.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1299

All-in-all, I'm excited because I hated forum gold, and refused to partake in it due to the reasons of the owner basically being a dick and controlling everything (a sort of mini-paypal or mini-ebay type philosophy of screw the users, take their money).

Long live ogrr. Smiley 

There will probably be stragglers trying to buy/sell forum gold, so I have no doubts that it will still exist for some time as people look to get away from it, maybe buying/selling on the side, but the only one will win that fight is njaguar.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 06:28:47 AM

Dude, they solved the chicken and egg problem and are growing exponentially. To the moon!

LOL, I remember that thread now. Good times.

There will probably be stragglers trying to buy/sell forum gold, so I have no doubts that it will still exist for some time as people look to get away from it, maybe buying/selling on the side, but the only one will win that fight is njaguar.

Njaguar is a dick, a few friends of mine were banned and had their fg locked just for mentioning a competing site in private messages. Not that private after all. Bitcoin is infinitely more useful fo trading since it's actually useful for something else besides Diablo. 

tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:19:14 PM

Maybe someone should make some fake accounts and post about oggr and/or bitcoin at various times of the day... he can't be on 24/7 can he? Smiley 
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: