Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:39:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greed will catch up with you.  (Read 7203 times)
Xiaoma

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

I think lots of people cannot see the difference between long term greed and short term greed.
The first is good, nothing wrong in having a profit in months or even years.

The things that really worries me is the short term greed. And I think this is what the OP was talking about.
When people accumulate a quite large amount of BTC planning to dump it all in the short-medium term (like in the next month or 2)
That is going to create a bubble now, and a large crash soon, and this will make Bitcoin life difficult for long term adoption.
Those are the kind of people that would not care if Bitcoin dies as soon as they got their gain.

Call me paranoid, but I would not be happy if those people were the majority of the new entrants. I'm here for the idea. I don't even have any coin anymore because I'm waiting for the crash... price doubled in a week, a large correction is due soon.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:04:38 PM

Greed will save us all.
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:06:35 PM

I believe that believing in bitcoin means you don't need to fear the greed.

It's in it's infancy, and like it or not growing value of bitcoin only increases it's power as a currency.

At anyrate I totally agree with your sentiment and see where you are coming from.

In my opinion anyone with 1 million dollars to invest doesn't need to do so in the first place. I mean, with that much money it really is nothing else but greed.

At the same time the money influx helps the currency.

Its far too early to tell though, I am no expert. Who knows
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:08:07 PM

In my opinion anyone with 1 million dollars to invest doesn't need to do so in the first place. I mean, with that much money it really is nothing else but greed.

I'd think it's the opposite. I'd think with a million bucks, Bitcoin would look like a liability of loonitarians, and would *only* be due to pure unadulterated curiosity and boredom from being too wealthy that any investment into it would be made. There are of course people with lots of money who would believe in the tenants of Bitcoin, but bitcoin itself...hmm..that's a tough one.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:11:38 PM

I'd think it's the opposite. I'd think with a million bucks, Bitcoin would look like a liability of loonitarians, and would *only* be due to pure unadulterated curiosity and boredom from being too wealthy. There are of course people with lots of money who would believe in the tenants of Bitcoin, but bitcoin itself...hmm..that's a tough one.

I agree. If I had a million dollars, and ONLY a million dollars. I would hoard that fiat like a muther fuzzer. Maybe $50K into bitcoin, but no more.

more or less retired.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 07:16:45 PM

I'd think it's the opposite. I'd think with a million bucks, Bitcoin would look like a liability of loonitarians, and would *only* be due to pure unadulterated curiosity and boredom from being too wealthy. There are of course people with lots of money who would believe in the tenants of Bitcoin, but bitcoin itself...hmm..that's a tough one.

I agree. If I had a million dollars, and ONLY a million dollars. I would hoard that fiat like a muther fuzzer. Maybe $50K into bitcoin, but no more.

if had a million dollars, and ONLY a million dollars.... i'd keep my day job...

UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:27:58 PM

I'd think it's the opposite. I'd think with a million bucks, Bitcoin would look like a liability of loonitarians, and would *only* be due to pure unadulterated curiosity and boredom from being too wealthy that any investment into it would be made. There are of course people with lots of money who would believe in the tenants of Bitcoin, but bitcoin itself...hmm..that's a tough one.

If you're wealthy enough to risk a million and you are only doing so because you are "bored" you're doing this "life" thing all wrong. That being said you bring up a good point.

I harbor no ill towards people looking to grow more wealth, but I have to wonder sometimes. Money is useless, until it is used. What is the point of amassing a fortune if you never intend to use it?

To be fair I'd invest in bitcoin no matter how much money I had, however I was mostly referring to the poeple OP was complaining about. Pure greed, I suppose, brings a sufficient level of disgust to me.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:16:54 PM

if you had a million dollars, you would be spending your days thinking how not to lose it due to inflation or allocating into bad assets; won't speak for other millionaires but hedging some part of it with bitcoins is one of the best ideas on the market right now, provided you somehow understand what the hell bitcoin is.

i am satoshi
Gordonium

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:19:30 PM

A million dollars isn't cool, you know what's cool?
Gordonium

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:19:51 PM

A billion dollars.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:46:53 PM

A billion dollars.
A billion dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:47:15 PM

An ice-cream sandwich.

btcinstant

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile