Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:53:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: satoshin@gmx.com is compromised  (Read 152227 times)
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:33:15 PM

I think, what this story shows, is that you don't have to be a genius for hacking. It's enough to just randomly notice a security flaw.

I don't think, there is any vital information in that E-Mail-account. Why would SN use his fake-identity-account for anything regarding his real life? It's not like, it is difficult or expensive to make a new E-Mail-account.

It would be incredibly stupid to put any valuable information, especially private keys concerning Bitcoin and alike in a centralized email account like that one. I don't believe Satoshi to be someone who would make such a mistake!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheLittleDuke
Legendary

Activity: 1024
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:33:51 PM

The real question is does matter now who is Satoshi?

It really doesn't matter other than the coins he/she/they hold.

The question the community needs to determine is whether or not that is reasonable compensation for the invention.

I think of Satoshi Nakamoto in the same vein as I do Vint Cerf and maybe Phil Zimmerman and possibly Henry Ford.

It's Better 2GIVE
https://2Give.Info
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:39:40 PM

The question the community needs to determine is whether or not that is reasonable compensation for the invention.

I think of Satoshi Nakamoto in the same vein as I do Vint Cerf and maybe Phil Zimmerman and possibly Henry Ford.

If there was a profit motive, he would have sold a load of coins by now. Chances are he has wallets that people don't know about and he can retire off those.

The post to get Dorian out of the spot light shows compassion. Launching Bitcoin and working on it using up all his spare time, from what I can tell, and then leaving the project to others indicates he was in it for the math and the invention. Egotistical types tend to shout from the rooftops.

I wouldn't be surprised if those coins go to charity or trust at some point when the markets hold enough liquidity to sustain much, much higher daily trade volumes.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:42:01 PM

I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity of the "hacker". He could have profited handsomely impersonating SN, but instead of that he decided to send a couple of stupid emails that demonstrate that some retarded kid is in control of SN's email... To then ask for 25BTC!!! LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

He must be a 12 years old kid that got lucky with the password reset... In a way he did all bitcoiners a favor, now everybody knows that SN's email is no longer in his control, preventing potentially bigger damage inflicted by a more intelliget malicious third party.

defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:42:21 PM

ITT: people claim satoshi is more than human

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:42:59 PM

I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity of the "hacker". He could have profited handsomely impersonating SN, but instead of that he decided to send a couple of stupid emails that demonstrate that some retarded kid is in control of SN's email... To then ask for 25BTC!!! LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

He must be a 12 years old kid that got lucky with the password reset... In a way he did all bitcoiners a favor, now everybody knows that SN's email is no longer in his control, preventing potentially bigger damage inflicted by a more intelliget malicious third party.

maybe, just maybe that is what satoshi wants everyone to think Smiley

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
TheLittleDuke
Legendary

Activity: 1024
Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:48:11 PM

If there was a profit motive, he would have sold a load of coins by now. Chances are he has wallets that people don't know about and he can retire off those.

The post to get Dorian out of the spot light shows compassion. Launching Bitcoin and working on it using up all his spare time, from what I can tell, and then leaving the project to others indicates he was in it for the math and the invention. Egotistical types tend to shout from the rooftops.

I wouldn't be surprised if those coins go to charity or trust at some point when the markets hold enough liquidity to sustain much, much higher daily trade volumes.

+1

Unless there is something fundamentally insecure that we have all missed -- or maybe we just don't like the idea that it was created in an In-Q-Tel lab -- I agree that the global benefit of this publicly disclosed invention out weighs its origins.  Most people don't realize that the ECC cryptography that underpins it all has a shitload of patents filed and owned by Blackberry that have been licensed by the NSA et al.

Remember even the Noble Peace Prize has its origins in the invention of munitions...

-dvd

It's Better 2GIVE
https://2Give.Info
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 12:52:45 PM

A lot of hero, legendary, and senior members came out to comment on this thread!  Lots of people showing interest of finding out info about an old friend?

Only Legendary members could have known Satoshi.

All the hacker needs to do is make a screenshot of the e-mail index from 8/3/2010 to 8/4/2010 , same as the other posted screen shots that only show the date and subject and I can tell everyone right away if account hack is legit. At least if e-mails from that long ago still exist. The hacker has already taken a verbal shot at me online, might as well backup his/her claim.  Angry

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:56:54 PM

A lot of hero, legendary, and senior members came out to comment on this thread!  Lots of people showing interest of finding out info about an old friend?

All the hacker needs to do is make a screenshot of the e-mail index from 8/3/2010 to 8/4/2010 , same as the other posted screen shots that only show the date and subject and I can tell everyone right away if account hack is legit. At least if e-mails from that long ago still exist. The hacker has already taken a verbal shot at me online, might as well backup his/her claim.  Angry

Link to the "verbal shot" ?
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:03:29 PM

Unless Peter Todd's twitter is compromised as well, it seems to be legit: https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/509145414008725504

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:17:51 PM

Probably GMX already locked him out of the account, Peter Todd is reporting that emails are bouncing back. Taking into account how stupid the hacker looks like, he probably didn't dump all the emails - if now he is locked out he will have no way to prove he was the original hacker because he didn't even create a PGP key for that purpose...

Amateur time.

knightmb

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 01:19:13 PM

Link to the "verbal shot" ?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/09/08/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-email/

knightmb

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 01:22:07 PM

Probably GMX already locked him out of the account, Peter Todd is reporting that emails are bouncing back. Taking into account how stupid the hacker looks like, he probably didn't dump all the emails - if now he is locked out he will have no way to prove he was the original hacker because he didn't even create a PGP key for that purpose...

Amateur time.
That would mean the e-mail in the account exist unencrypted somewhere since only a password reset was needed to access it. Makes one wonder what would happen if a GMX admin has some free time to snoop around in his locked e-mail account?

DRK

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:24:29 PM

The email said:
Quote from: satoshin@gmx.com
Michael, send me some coins before I hitman you.

Not exactly Satoshi's normal style. Wink

@theymos does an email get expired on gmx.com ?

I don't know.

Have u received previous mails from him ? Did he use to sign those ?

I did receive emails from him in 2010. He didn't sign them.
Seems like a wasted opportunity from whoever accessed the account.... I mean it's almost a joke
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 01:25:58 PM

Jesus, imagine if satoshi was compromised. I bet a lot of people are after satoshis 1 million bitcoins, thats a crazy amount of money

let me just do the calculations :

1,000,000 x 0.1

= holy shit that's 100k !*

(assuming  you get 10c )

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:28:48 PM

Amateur time.
That would mean the e-mail in the account exist unencrypted somewhere since only a password reset was needed to access it. Makes one wonder what would happen if a GMX admin has some free time to snoop around in his locked e-mail account?

It would surprise me that someone who created a trust-free system like bitcoin had left sensitive unencrypted information on a server controlled by a third party. You must assume that admins of centralized services will eventually snoop around - that's why we have encryption and cryptographic signatures. I'm sure Satoshi is (or was) aware of that Wink

notindexed

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:38:43 PM

You must assume that admins of centralized services will eventually snoop around

What i thought… "hacker" might just be a gmx employee.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 01:59:35 PM

By the way, this is a very obvious way in which the hacker could have made MILLIONS:

1) short BTC
2) write to some of the core devs (or directly to the bitcoin-dev mailing list) that you are about to dump big time, and that you are willing to give the heads up to those that helped in the process of building bitcoin (that will leak everywhere very quickly) - make it credible by writing as Satoshi would write.
3) watch the prince plunge - buy cheap coins
4) close your shorts
5) write again to the core devs that it was just a prank made by a 12 years old kid who got lucky with GMX password reset feature
6) watch the price immediately rebound to previous levels
7) PROFIT

Anyhow it looks like the "hacker" is not even old enough to have a bank account, and therefore the best he can pull off is to ask for 25 BTC Cheesy

sktrdie

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 02:06:03 PM

This makes me wonder whether the "I am not Dorian Nakamoto" message left on p2pfoundation is also a fake. It did seem weird back then that instead of signing a message using his well known public key, he decided to use a p2p forum to announce the fact.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 02:17:08 PM

I have seen numerous of these around:

http://pastebin.com/mpPirbSr

or

http://bitbin.it/sOjcnNkd

or I have seen 4 other addresses.  I think people are just posting these to try and get a payday.  None of them seem to be for the same address lol
Hello scammer...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: