Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:50:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would you start to accept bitcoin payments as a business owner?  (Read 1556 times)
iohutom (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:04:55 AM

Imagine you are the boss of some kind of business that deals with physical objects everyday and why would you start to accept bitcoin payments?

What are you going to do with all that bitcoins that you've earned? Hold it? seriously?
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:18:43 AM

Imagine you are the boss of some kind of business that deals with physical objects everyday and why would you start to accept bitcoin payments?

What are you going to do with all that bitcoins that you've earned? Hold it? seriously?

There's many reasons why you should. It's cheaper than accepting creditcards and it's free promotion for your business for a start. If you don't want to hold the coins you can use a payment processor that gives you cash for them straight away so you're not risking anything.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:24:02 AM

and boss can pay you in bitcoin.  Grin
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:01:11 AM

Holding it would not be such a bad idea however using it to help your business would also be another great idea if I were to accept bitcoins for a business I owned. With many other companies now jumping in and accepting bitcoins I would not be surprised if I could use what I earn to help my business in terms of better logo's, a website for better exposure. There are many things I could use the bitcoin I earn to help my business it's just finding people who I can pay in bitcoin to help with doing that.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:04:42 AM

If you are doing large international transfers, then accepting Bitcoin is an absolute no-brainer
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:22:45 AM

If I'm invested in Bitcoin, I'd do everything to support its growth and traction. By accepting it, I'd be doing Bitcoin a favor, since every new dot on the merchants-maps is a sign of increased adoption and a possibility for people to use it as a currency and buy stuff with it.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:25:13 AM

Secure, no charge back, no transaction fee comparing with traditional card.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:37:29 AM

You would hold it provided your employees and vendors would accept payment in it , and provided it wasn't too volatile
Big ifs, but payroll adoption of btc is a critical piece

qwerty555

Activity: 405

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:42:09 AM

Secure, no charge back, no transaction fee comparing with traditional card.

correct and add

- faster collection of money ( VIP for all businesses) compared to the 1 -2 weeks some credit /debit cards take to credit you with the funds and even longer if the card is from another country..

- reduction/protection (lower cost) from fraudulent card use and lower cost than accepting traditional cards.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/gold-dealer-drops-credit-card-payments-for-bitcoin/

http://www.coindesk.com/bullion-dealer-amagi-metals-stop-accepting-fiat-currency/

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237026

- average customer spend is higher = higher sales

http://consumersresearch.org/reeds-jewelers-find-their-advantage-with-bitcoin/

-
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 11:44:02 AM

That's like asking why would you accept credit cards, paypal, mastercards etc.... WHY NOT?

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:29:50 PM

You would hold it provided your employees and vendors would accept payment in it , and provided it wasn't too volatile

Agreed on payroll adoption's importance, its baby steps.  Few people in canada have received some wages in BTC but its still only 75k worth in BTC apparently.

http://www.coindesk.com/companies-paying-employees-bitcoin/
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 12:35:48 PM

Everyone is missing the most important thing about business.

PROFIT.

As a business owner, why would you NOT accept bitcoin? If its all someone has, or they will spend it because you accept it.

Though I've been accepting bitcoin for 2 years, and have a sign, I've never done a bitcoin transaction face to face because of it. I did however meet someone from the forums however.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 02:21:31 PM

I'm sure they will be open to accept bitcoin payments.

A business that accepts bitcoin as payment doesn't mean they receive all the bitcoins.

They mostly are only interested in money, not in bitcoin per se.

All purchases made with bitcoin will directly be converted into fiat.

Small group of business owners will actually hold the bitcoins, or a part of it.
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:38:04 AM

Agreed on payroll adoption's importance, its baby steps.  Few people in canada have received some wages in BTC but its still only 75k worth in BTC apparently.

http://www.coindesk.com/companies-paying-employees-bitcoin/
When people are getting paid in bitcoin, it means that business are not selling all the bitcoin they are receiving in revenues. It will also mean that more people are likely to spend their money at merchants that accept bitcoin, giving more merchants an incentive to accept bitcoin.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
iohutom (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:10:40 AM

PROFIT.

As a business owner, why would you NOT accept bitcoin? If its all someone has, or they will spend it because you accept it.

Though I've been accepting bitcoin for 2 years, and have a sign, I've never done a bitcoin transaction face to face because of it. I did however meet someone from the forums however.

May I know what's the nature of your business? If I am in a business and all I earn is bitcoin I certainly will have a difficult time sourcing for upstream suppliers that accepts my bitcoins, most likely I still need to exchange my bitcoins through one of the exchanges to fiat in order to continue my business. The transaction fees at the exchanges of course will be paid by the consumer as the business will not absorb it.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:18:33 AM

You'd accept Bitcoin because it would be free advertisement and it would attract people to your business from outside your general area.  You would hold Bitcoin because it would potentially increase in value and you could cash out at any time of your choice.

Now my question is why wouldn't you want to attract more business to establishment?  Is using Bitcoin really that hard and out of the norm?  Isn't it what any good business person would do to see their business prosper especially in this economy?
iohutom (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:20:26 AM

That's like asking why would you accept credit cards, paypal, mastercards etc.... WHY NOT?

Well, credit cards and paypal are just a form of payment platforms for cashless transaction. They all still deal with fiat in local currency. However bitcoin is a totally different story, it's another currency much like you paying with euros for a beer in a bar in LA isn't it?
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:23:42 AM

Personally, i think some of the pro's of accepting bitcoin are:

- Gets you into the Tech Savvy Demographic, a Demographic who is richer per capita and more willing to spend money online in general.
- Publicity. Choosing to accept bitcoin gives you a chance to be seen by a community who is willing to spend bitcoins to jump start the small but growing bitcoin market.
- No Chargebacks. 100% non reversible payments.
- Impossible to defraud Bitcoin transaction system. If you receive bitcoins they exist and can't be stolen or lost except through your own human error.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:29:35 AM

sounds like your not a business owner, so your opinion on your imagination.. is just fail.

i am a business owner, i accept bitcoin and i hold them
dell is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
newegg is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
overstock is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
virgin galactic is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them

no imagination needed.

as for why..

well its simple. businesses like the ones i have mentioned are not 100% bitcoin accepters, they also accept credit and debit card payments too and the amount of bitcoin customers may amount to only 1% of sales, meaning the other 99% of fiat sales more than covers the re-stocking costs and salaries. thus accepting bitcoin doesnt cause problems. it just acts as a storage of a small percentage of profit.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
iohutom (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

sounds like your not a business owner, so your opinion on your imagination.. is just fail.

i am a business owner, i accept bitcoin and i hold them
dell is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
newegg is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
overstock is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them
virgin galactic is a business, they accept bitcoin and they hold them

no imagination needed

Yes it's true for all the companies you have listed, to hold them is basically an investment into bitcoin in exchange of their services or products. However for a small start up business which needs the initial cash flow in order to make the business a success I wouldn't imagine to convert all my capitals into bitcoin and hold it, I might as well just throw in all the money into an exchange and get the bitcoin if I want.
btcforall777

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 08:33:45 PM

PROFIT.

https://instagift.com/bitcoin

Check the out. If you own a  business try to get on here or a similar program.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 09:13:44 PM

Well, credit cards and paypal are just a form of payment platforms for cashless transaction. They all still deal with fiat in local currency. However bitcoin is a totally different story, it's another currency much like you paying with euros for a beer in a bar in LA isn't it?

You could kind of put it that way but you'd also have to consider that accepting that Euro would give every European access to your business..  Which mean more customers equals more profit, which means your a successful entrepreneur with a growing business that is ahead of the pack of failing small business..
MercyC

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:44:41 PM

It's always great to give your customers options! Even better to stay with the times and adapt a digital currency that has amazing potential to change the world (for the better)!
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:57:28 PM

While Bitcoin might not be so attractive to already up and running businesses, if one is starting from scratch than Bitcoin is the fastest to implement and cheapest international
payment solution.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: