Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:28:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Certified Bitcoin Professional  (Read 33864 times)
HELP.org (OP)

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

hasnt anyone realised that bitcoin is not about holding pieces of paper that have been rubber stamped by a central agency.

i bet 2 satoshi's that those thinking bitcoin certification is good are also the same people that see a bitlicence as a good thing.

both of which do not help real people with real lives, they are just a money grabbing exercise purely to look official, even if your sat on a sofa trading in your underpants, rubbing a ball of freshly pick snot into the arm of the chair.

all i can see happening is a bunch of bitcoin scammers waving round useless pieces of paper shouting out how they are bitlicenced and professionally certified to hold your money.. then 3 months later wave their plane ticket to the Caribbean at customers as they run off

Bitcoin is about a software program and protocol, essentially a tool, that people can use for all sorts of things and agendas.  Some people like to attach their personal agenda to it.

The Bitlicence problem is caused by all the Bitcoiners who complained when they lost money with things like Mt. gox, Inputs.io, pirateat40, etc.  

One use of the Certification program is to filter people whose authority consists of writing hundreds of useless comments on discussion boards.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:37:03 AM

Does the certification fee provide you with study materials too? I could see that being worth the $50, considering the list of topics covered, but if all you get is an online quiz and a fancy piece of paper...

BTW, I noticed a list of some high level people in the About section. Asked them to confirm whether they are actually responsible for this (I could maybe sorta see them putting something like this together, but want to make sure this place isn't just dropping names without permission). I'll get back to you with their reply

It was $75 CAD total, $50 for the test and $25 for the certificate.  I saw the thing posted on reddit.  I saw Peter Todd as the top advisor.  I listen to him on let's Talk Bitcoin and I trust what he says so I figured it was OK.  they also said they have a registered non-profit and any extra funds will be donated.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:43:24 AM

hasnt anyone realised that bitcoin is not about holding pieces of paper that have been rubber stamped by a central agency.

i bet 2 satoshi's that those thinking bitcoin certification is good are also the same people that see a bitlicence as a good thing.

both of which do not help real people with real lives, they are just a money grabbing exercise purely to look official, even if your sat on a sofa trading in your underpants, rubbing a ball of freshly pick snot into the arm of the chair.

all i can see happening is a bunch of bitcoin scammers waving round useless pieces of paper shouting out how they are bitlicenced and professionally certified to hold your money.. then 3 months later wave their plane ticket to the Caribbean at customers as they run off

Bitcoin is about a software program and protocol, essentially a tool, that people can use for all sorts of things and agendas.  Some people like to attach their personal agenda to it.

The Bitlicence problem is caused by all the Bitcoiners who complained when they lost money with things like Mt. gox, Inputs.io, pirateat40, etc.  

One use of the Certification program is to filter people whose authority consists of writing hundreds of useless comments on discussion boards.

Step 1:  pay money to someone else to make you 'feel legit' cause their site and program seem legit.
Step 2:  pass exam...immediately go to the first popular message board and post useless comment on useless 'certification'
Step 3:  ?? ?? ?? ??
Step 4:  sell the steps above to the next sucker in line
Step 5:  profit!!!

Looks like you just finished step 2, great job Smiley

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:50:11 AM

Does the certification fee provide you with study materials too? I could see that being worth the $50, considering the list of topics covered, but if all you get is an online quiz and a fancy piece of paper...

BTW, I noticed a list of some high level people in the About section. Asked them to confirm whether they are actually responsible for this (I could maybe sorta see them putting something like this together, but want to make sure this place isn't just dropping names without permission). I'll get back to you with their reply

It was $75 CAD total, $50 for the test and $25 for the certificate.  I saw the thing posted on reddit.  I saw Peter Todd as the top advisor.  I listen to him on let's Talk Bitcoin and I trust what he says so I figured it was OK.  they also said they have a registered non-profit and any extra funds will be donated.

Yeah, confirmed it's the legit group, with people like Vitalik and Anthony Di Iorio helping run this thing. Honestly I'm surprised and perplexed that they would do this. Seems rather... I don't know... Opportunistic? Maybe even a bit pointless, especially at this stage?

And do they provide study materials, or do you basically have to be a genuine expert and know all this stuff to take the test? (I'm somewhat tempted to try, since I know all the topics listed, but want to know what I would get for my $75, since I don't actually need this to get a bitcoin job)
Verse

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:56:47 AM

OP neglected to mention the $25 renewal fee (after two years, renewal extension is not specified.) I hope you didn't leave an active credit card with these people.

9kv, you're incorrect regarding it being an "Internet Certificate."
We mail out a physical certificate to those who earn certification. You can see an example of them on our twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/_CFour_/status/507592388424921090
I can list a dozen websites that will mail you bottles of dehydrated water for less than $75 CAD, a much better deal. Shiny website != $75 CAD certification with a net benefit.

@Tigereye, assuming he/she is associated with the "cryptoconsortium"
What you should have done: Provide a list of businesses which either require a cryptocurrency certification for certain positions or explicitly state that having it on a resume is beneficial towards their hiring process.

How to make your "certification" less scam-like: Create a highly intensive online course without a fee, pay for it by offering physical classes with a fee and a certificate. Require a highly intensive, mandatory test and publish scores anonymously to companies--who can then send job offers to users in chosen score distributions. I doubt it would be difficult to get some venture capital on this sort of system.

Why you won't: This is a scam; and you seem to be located in Canada, which does not exist.

I suspect there's a growing demand for cryptocurrency certifications. Kudos to anyone willing to learn about cryptocurrencies. Double kudos to anyone willing to pay for a cryptocurrency certification. Shame on anyone for giving these people money.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 04:12:15 AM

These people are Michael Perklin (Tigereye - https://www.linkedin.com/in/perklin), Vitalik Buterin, Anthony Di Iorio, and advisers like Peter Todd, Charles Hoskinson, and Piotr Piasecki, all of whom are very high level people in this space, whom I have met in person and would personally vouch for as highly respected and fairly trustworthy. Which makes me really wonder about this...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:16:31 AM

This is more in line with what I thought the Bitcoin Foundation was going to be about. Everyone know who contributes to the Bitcoin Core code because the developers use github. They would be an authority that could bestow acknowledgement of competency.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
screwUdriver

Activity: 346
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:24:57 AM

How can you be a "professional"?

Seems like a fancy way of you giving them 50$, and them giving you an "Internet Certificate" that holds no real value to anyone else.
I agree, I don't think bitcoin has been around long enough for there to be any kind of accredited test to give that shows they are a "bitcoin professional"

IMO this is just a test to show how gullible people are and how willing they are to give money for a stupid reason. The OP failed the test.
tigereye

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:39:26 AM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

The skills that would actually make someone an employable "Bitcoin Professional" would take more that a few questions. I'd want an answer of how you would make web sites and their wallets steal-proof. I'd need to see you code a web interface and a database along with the code to talk to Bitcoin showing you have the skills required to run your own exchange or ecommerce site. A list of commits you've made to Bitcoin itself, or the wallet software you wrote. Being able to "use" Bitcoin doesn't make one a professional any more than your 5000 followers is going to get you a job at Twitter.

See my new signature; also applies to Microsoft, Cisco, and Redhat.
Great points, deepceleron, and we agree with everything except for the name.
A Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP) is someone who is able to use Bitcoin properly.
A Certified Bitcoin Expert (CBX) is someone who understands the Bitcoin protocol, block format, transaction format, and related technical details. C4 will definitely be testing this knowledge in its CBX exam which is slated to be released this winter. As with the CBP exam, we will make sure the question database has been adequately peer-reviewed by as many knowledgeable experts as possible to ensure they measure competency in each of the topics a Certified Bitcoin Expert should know.

If you feel you are able to assist with this process I'm happy to have you work with our other advisors as appropriate.

Rassah, I see you're "wondering about this."
C4 is a "free-market solution" to a human resource problem. We're not trying to be any more than that. We've built what we feel is an accurate measuring stick because of its peer review and are making it available for anyone to use for comparison. We're purposely doing this as a non-profit to emphasize our mission and not the money needed to accomplish it.

Thanks for your interest, all, and don't hesitate if you have any questions.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org
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=cHP0
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:40:34 AM

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:44:22 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2014, 04:55:46 AM by Bitcoinpro

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:50:45 AM

Why you won't: This is a scam; and you seem to be located in Canada, which does not exist.

Ha, epic-level trolling right there.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:59:16 PM

Boys.. girls... look at the price of Cisco cert.... this is hardly "over priced"...  When I worked at Rockwell they wanted me to take this stupid wiring course for $500...  Even though I was an electrical technologist..  Companies could easily use this, for example an exchange could require all employees to take this simply so the receptionst has an idea of what bitcoin is.

This is not something designed for Devs.

How many of you are actually in the working world and not High school/college..  There are a lot of stupid things you have to do to prove you are "certified"..  Furthermore almost all groups have annual fees.. 
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 01:01:40 PM

Ha, epic-level trolling right there.

If you die in Canada, do you die in real life too?

Society doesn't scale.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4464

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:10:21 PM

nah more like people will pay $50 to pretend they are experts to then make useless comments, as they think they need a certificate to validate what they say, rather then saying what they have too say and people automatically recognize the comment itself hold merit.

i have employed more people not based on certification but on example of actual skill. as i said before the certificate validates the user is not a noob, but still does not confirm that the person is either mature or an expert.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 04:03:14 PM

nah more like people will pay $50 to pretend they are experts to then make useless comments, as they think they need a certificate to validate what they say, rather then saying what they have too say and people automatically recognize the comment itself hold merit.

i have employed more people not based on certification but on example of actual skill. as i said before the certificate validates the user is not a noob, but still does not confirm that the person is either mature or an expert.

I think most of time wasters and drama queens will not bother to get any certification.  In fact several of the complainers in this thread were already on my ignore list.  Deepceleron is an exception as he is an expert and if he wants a certification I will pay for it.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:48:54 PM

[...]
A Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP) is someone who is able to use Bitcoin properly.

Rename it to CBU then.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 05:33:47 PM

Wait, do you think its a good idea to send the message that in order to use Bitcoin properly you have to be a certified professional?
If this is the case, Bitcoin is doomed to never get widely adopted.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 05:47:31 PM

Wait, do you think its a good idea to send the message that in order to use Bitcoin properly you have to be a certified professional?
If this is the case, Bitcoin is doomed to never get widely adopted.

.. how do you guys not understand this concept...  

Have anyone of you worked in a company of more than 10 000 in a positon that isn't flipping burgers........?

If you are a bitcoin exchange you can have all of your employees get this so you know the receptionist, etc all understand the basics of bitcoin.  Now you can claim all of your employees have CBP.  Sure the techies won't care but the masses will.  When you are considering 3 different exchanges every step up on yours helps.

Just like at rockwell, they don't care if you are a P eng if you are going to wire you must take and pass a wiring course.  

Perhaps someone wants to open up a crypto help line!!  You can put on your website everyone is CBP certified and they have some CBX people as well.. Now if you are a noob in the crypto industry you would be tempted to use their services as you know they some proven knowledge.
wksantiago

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 05:51:17 PM

Indeed this could be used by companies as pointed out the more knowledge the better.

If my posts has been helpful, thank me here:
BTC: bc1qp0xtvck64qhvg6man0fjgy2jl3l6vwkctngjc4
Bitrated user: wksantiago.
(PGP Fingerprint: 2199 0685 3d0f 29eb f0aa 40a5 1cd9 d426 66ae a802)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: