Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:21:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Certified Bitcoin Professional  (Read 33858 times)
HELP.org (OP)

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 01:11:33 AM

I completed the certification process at https://cryptoconsortium.org/. Took the 20 minute/75 question multiple choice test, paid $50 CAD test plus $25 CAD certificate application fee (BTC only) and uploaded a resume. Got my CBP certification in a few hours.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:28:03 AM

How can you be a "professional"?

Seems like a fancy way of you giving them 50$, and them giving you an "Internet Certificate" that holds no real value to anyone else.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4439

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:34:06 AM

don't worry, its just another sheeple tactic to make people think they are king of the world because they have a certificate.. then realise later that the world has people with degree's working in walmart.

a certificate doesnt mean your an expert of bitcoin exchanging, or an expert of selling bitcoins ideals to merchants. nor does it prove that they can make a coin from scratch without referring to a single line of code of a coin that's already been made.

all it proves is that your not a noob

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:46:32 AM

Maybe you can volunteer for this project and get some good work experience on your resume, too.  It looks like they need what you have.  https://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en/vol/opportunity/opportunity_form.html?id=56461

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 01:49:23 AM

Seems like a fancy way of you giving them 50$, and them giving you an "Internet Certificate" that holds no real value to anyone else.

Yes, many certifications seem that way.  I have a CISSP as well and there are similar complaints about that.  I am retired so I don't really need any kind of certification.  I saw the list of advisors and I it looked legitimate so I went ahead with it.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:52:17 AM

Yes, many certifications seem that way.  I have a CISSP as well and there are similar complaints about that.  I am retired so I don't really need any kind of certification.  I saw the list of advisors and I it looked legitimate so I went ahead with it.
I think I've talked to you before - on Millybitcoin.com?

If you're not seeking any jobs or anything with it - bravo. Thanks for learning about BTC Smiley
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 02:07:54 AM

I think I've talked to you before - on Millybitcoin.com?

If you're not seeking any jobs or anything with it - bravo. Thanks for learning about BTC Smiley

Yes, that is it.  I just launched http://Bitcoin.me and I had that video made.  I used the weusecoins video as a basis but I geared it towards how Bitcoin can be used.

I also got that ruling from FinCEN about mining:

http://www.coindesk.com/fincen-bitcoin-miners-need-not-register-money-transmitters/

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
tigereye

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:17:25 AM

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x96E2A1BE81D47AA2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hi guys,

Michael Perklin here from C4.

franky1 is absolutely correct: the CBP exam does not mean you are an expert in Bitcoin. A CBP is someone who understands enough about the blockchain, addresses, keys and wallets to use Bitcoin successfully. They understand what a confirmation is, why they should wait a few for high-value transactions, and backing up/restoring keys to protect their funds. The CBP exam covers 32 separate topics arranged in 6 domains of knowledge.

It's intended to assert that someone meets the minimum requirements to be working with Bitcoin. For example, if you need to task one of your employees to create and manage your company's wallet, you'd want them to understand Bitcoin well enough to keep your coins safe.

9kv, you're incorrect regarding it being an "Internet Certificate."
We mail out a physical certificate to those who earn certification. You can see an example of them on our twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/_CFour_/status/507592388424921090

When it comes to being an expert in Bitcoin, that will be measured with the CBX exam which is due out this winter. That will be targeted at developers, security auditors, and anyone who needs to understand all of the advanced aspects of Bitcoin, such as building a transaction manually or working with the protocol at the byte level. That exam will be much more intensive (250 questions instead of 75) and be administered in a proctored (in-person) format.

There's more information available on the website, or you can ask questions here if you'd like.

- --MP
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org
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=mkyh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 02:29:48 AM

I think you got ripped off. I paid only about $30CAD to order a sign from VistaPrint that has a big bitcoin logo and "Bitcoin Expert" text on it. Saved $45, and looks much better at conventions.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:32:06 AM

I like the idea of a CBP. Things like Bitcoin ATMs, Hardware wallets and other physical devices that are meant to be easy to use by the general public are still beyond the basic understanding of most people. There needs to be a technician/sales class operator to assist with these new devices.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:32:36 AM

I think you got ripped off. I paid only about $30CAD to order a sign from VistaPrint that has a big bitcoin logo and "Bitcoin Expert" text on it. Saved $45, and looks much better at conventions.

This could be used by companies as pointed out.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:37:10 AM

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 02:51:48 AM

You run a non-existent charity, plan to break into FBI computers while you work for the State of MD, and looking silly in videos.  You are certifiable so you should get the certificate that says so.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:05:42 AM

The skills that would actually make someone an employable "Bitcoin Professional" would take more that a few questions. I'd want an answer of how you would make web sites and their wallets steal-proof. I'd need to see you code a web interface and a database along with the code to talk to Bitcoin showing you have the skills required to run your own exchange or ecommerce site. A list of commits you've made to Bitcoin itself, or the wallet software you wrote. Being able to "use" Bitcoin doesn't make one a professional any more than your 5000 followers is going to get you a job at Twitter.

See my new signature; also applies to Microsoft, Cisco, and Redhat.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:17:15 AM

This could be used by companies as pointed out.

I have used mine at a number of conventions run by companies Smiley Point is, I get my credit from knowledge and reputation, not an online quiz that seems to WAY overcharge (I can't see how it could cost $25 to print and ship a certificate. Even a very fancy one).

You run a non-existent charity,

Nope

plan to break into FBI computers

Nope

while you work for the State of MD,

Nope

and looking silly in videos.

Most definitely  Grin

Why did you take this certificate quiz, pay so much for it, and post about it on the forum? Are you partnering with these guys to try to earn money on what looks like a ripoff at least, and an "online university/certification" scam at worst?
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:20:26 AM

Why did you take this certificate quiz, pay so much for it, and post about it on the forum? Are you partnering with these guys to try to earn money on what looks like a ripoff at least, and an "online university/certification" scam at worst?

I already explained but you are a drama queen so you are asking again.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4439

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:23:03 AM

hasnt anyone realised that bitcoin is not about holding pieces of paper that have been rubber stamped by a central agency.

i bet 2 satoshi's that those thinking bitcoin certification is good are also the same people that see a bitlicence as a good thing.

both of which do not help real people with real lives, they are just a money grabbing exercise purely to look official, even if your sat on a sofa trading in your underpants, rubbing a ball of freshly pick snot into the arm of the chair.

all i can see happening is a bunch of bitcoin scammers waving round useless pieces of paper shouting out how they are bitlicenced and professionally certified to hold your money.. then 3 months later wave their plane ticket to the Caribbean at customers as they run off

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:24:59 AM

It will be great to be pro if you can pay less whenyou buy bitcoins, is this posible? If not then the certification is useless even  if you can write bitcoin articles.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
HELP.org (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:27:11 AM

The skills that would actually make someone an employable "Bitcoin Professional" would take more that a few questions. I'd want an answer of how you would make web sites and their wallets steal-proof. I'd need to see you code a web interface and a database along with the code to talk to Bitcoin showing you have the skills required to run your own exchange or ecommerce site. A list of commits you've made to Bitcoin itself, or the wallet software you wrote. Being able to "use" Bitcoin doesn't make one a professional any more than your 5000 followers is going to get you a job at Twitter.

See my new signature; also applies to Microsoft, Cisco, and Redhat.

Actually something like Bitcoin needs all types of professionals, not just coders.  I do have a degree in Com Sci but that was ages ago.  I could write code to talk to bitcoid but I would not attempt to code an exchange or any commits but that is a tiny subset of the things that are needed to bring Bitcoin from code to a system usable by millions of people.  

But, yes, the certification does not mean much just like many people act like a CISSP is a PhD.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:29:13 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2014, 03:47:40 AM by Rassah

Does the certification fee provide you with study materials too? I could see that being worth the $50, considering the list of topics covered, but if all you get is an online quiz and a fancy piece of paper...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: