Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:26:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt Fatal exeption  (Read 923 times)
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 12:31:24 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2014, 12:55:07 PM by squall1066

Hiya, Right, I have just about had enough, I am not technical enough to know what to do, Here is my problem

If anyone notices I post I have problems with bitcoin-qt updating every few months, It seams to fix itself only to get worse down the line.

I will post whatever I can, first off, I am running win 7 (64-bit) I am using "bitcoin-0.9.2.1-win64-setup"

My problem, Well, I got to start from the start, It all happened from 0.8.4 when I went to 0.8.6, It would work, Then all of a sudden, It would not update, It would hold on a block, showing out of date with the amount of time that it had stopped by, A close&open would solve it,
Then I moved to "core" when it came out, It said Blockchain corrupted, And I had to rebuild, During which, It would stop (over 19 connections) and a close&open solved it for another few weeks of updating.

this was tedious and annoying but it did work, Now It just stopped on a block (using core 0.9.2) A close and open resulted in a Fatal exception, Did not give me an option to reload blockchain, just went to "windows is working on solving the problem" lol, Like that will happen.

Now I moved to core 0.9.2.1 (latest???) same problem, So I backup the wallet and delete EVERYTHING, I properly un-install the client, Deleting all the whole bitcoin folder in both windows locations and fired it up again.

It downloaded about 10K blocks and just stopped, I am on the same path as I was before, Is there anyone who knows anything I can try.

FYI - I built an identical system for a friend who is running core and got no problems, Same OS, So I am guessing there is something on my system that it does not like, I have made sure my router is open on port 8333 (I thought it would not work atall if it was closed but tried it anyway)

My system i3-2100 (1155) 16GB DDR3 1600 (tho running at 1333 with cpu) 480GB SSD HDD on SATA2, win7 64-bit, x270 GPU.

EDIT - let me explain "stopped" The client still shows "active connection" anywhere between 9 and 32 connections, It is still "running" according to windows task manager, and the green bar still flashes as it should when updating, And I wait at least a day each time before I do anything to make sure it has not updated any blocks, Thank you.

Additional, I have MWB (primium) and I have used different anti-virus like AVG, Avast, Right now I have Avant, It does not make a difference what I use, But worth mentioning as I don't know how it treats things like bitcoin.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 01:16:32 PM

Completely random crashes usually indicate hardware problems. Bitcoin requires your computer be able to do trillions of calculations without a single error.

There are several utilities you can run to ensure a stable system.

1. Memtest86+ - bootable CD, let it test your RAM for several hours. (Ubuntu live discs also include this as a boot option if you want to burn a more useful DVD)

2. OCCT http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download - a windows program for burning-in your CPU, will detect computation errors

3. Hard drive manufacturer utilities - bootable CD or USB to run diagnostics and media check on your hard drive - specific to disk manufacturer brand

On the malware/virus side, alternate things to scan your computer include MalwareBytes anti-malware, McAfee "Stinger", and independent rootkit scanners.

BTW, if you must use a virus scanner, make sure to add the Bitcoin blockchain directory to its exclude list, or you will be wasting a lot of resources trying to virus scan the blockchain as it downloads.

One addition: if you are on PPPoE DSL, your ISP may be dropping your connection or forcing new IP addresses on you, which can interfere with Bitcoin, which doesn't expect IP address changes while it is running.
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 04:33:32 PM

I know it's been a while but I have been testing my system, I have run the memtest for about 5 hours, got no errors, Ran a CPU burn in, Nothing.

I use Malwarebytes anti-malware, and I pay for the PRO version (all ways have) I run 2 full sweeps and got nothing.

Could not find any errors with HDD, I did not have any software with the drive, So I downloaded a few HDD tools from tucows ran them all and did not find anything, I used windows disk checker and defrag just in case, nothing.

Then in windows update (when you look in the list in recommended) It said new software has been found for my SATA controller on my mainboard? So I updated and tried that....Again nothing worked.

I use this system for gaming/vids/music I do not get any other problems, No crashes BSOD's errors or anything strange?

I have since set up a linux computer, loaded up core and it updated in hours no problems.

Something is wrong with my system but I cant find it, I have moved all my coin stuff of that one and moved it over, Bit of a pain but it's working.

Thanks anyway, I will try not to post again on this subject in another few months when I want to try and put it back on here, not being the defeatist  Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: