Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ATM code is now officially an open source effort.  (Read 7727 times)
toddbethell (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 06:42:27 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2012, 08:08:05 AM by toddbethell

Press release 23 April 2012
BitcoinATM code is now officially an open source effort.

https://github.com/BitcoinATM

This is a quick and dirty release. Documentation, development history, hardware specs, business plan etc... will be ‘dumped’ to a file sharing platform in the coming weeks.
There are two versions of the application.
    Version 1 is an executable but I am not sure what tools were used to create it because the source code has been lost, so it will need to be decompiled.

Version 2 is php, a bit more functional and easier on the eyes but needs some patching.

The hardware platform is a Genmega GK1000 Kiosk running windows xp pro with ActiveX drivers for the bill acceptor, printer, card reader etc.

The Bitcoin ATM brand, website, company name or artwork is NOT open source. However, proposals for free or very low cost licensing are being accepted. You may use the code freely with no obligations, however contributors/collaborators will be rewarded.

Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
toddbethell@BitcoinATM.com
toddbethell@fastscanning.com
Work: 1-949-340-5438 Cell:1-949-394-5932 (& sms), Skype toddbethell, Google 1-949-464-8061

Life stream: http://bambuser.com/channel/toddbethell
sometimes at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/toddbethell

Blog:
www.BitcoinFever.com

Documents:
http://toddbethell.minus.com/

Timelines:
www.dipity.com/toddbethell

Web sites:
www.FASTscanning.com
www.BitcoinATM.com
www.FASTbitcoins.com

Social:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/todd-ethell/8/6ba/216
http://www.facebook.com/toddbethell
https://twitter.com/#!/toddbethell
[/list]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 12:08:30 PM

Todd, what ever happened to the Bitcoin ATM? I remember watching a Youtube video on it and thinking "wow! That'd be cool to use!" but then I never heard anything about it. Why did it fail?

zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 09:25:47 PM

Todd, what ever happened to the Bitcoin ATM? I remember watching a Youtube video on it and thinking "wow! That'd be cool to use!" but then I never heard anything about it. Why did it fail?

Click on his username and look up old posts. Epic fallout between him and devs. That and would be difficult to implement unless dropped in major cities, and expensive to run you'd need Brinks to go pick up the money every week, and insurance.

Would be easier to approach existing currency exchange "cambios" and give them a simple system where they can buy/sell bitcoins for cash to walk ins. No multinational chains just small exchange storefronts. They already exist and have insurance, licenses and cash ready.

All you would need is some F/T traders who can idle in jabber all day and transfer coins to whatever address the customer brings in. Then no problems with wallets being hacked, these traders know what they're doing and have offline wallets. Everything is cash only, no training for the merchant they just ask for coins in chat and provide address. Merchant settles to your bank account end of day. Just need to float them coins for 24hrs. For cash out you'd have to come to some daily settle agreement with them or provide $5k cash float up front. Your site would take the coins and generate some sort of crypto signed receipt they can walk in with and cash that can't be forged, that they can somehow verify. Again, chat comes into play they can just hop on it and ask the trader 'is this legit?' and get a yes/no.

Bitinstant could probably set this up for existing businesses, though better if more decentralization like individual small bitcoin traders in each city doing this on their own instead of one giant monopoly that could be a target for authorities, fraud and whatever other problems. Then everybody in the world just goes to a local office in person and does instant cash trade the way bitcoin was meant to be no banks or holds or ach/dwolla fraud, no ID scans sitting in an insecure databse or western union nonsense. y/n?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

What needs to be done is to partner with an existing ATM manufacturer to have this software run inside an existing machine as well as the usual credit card software.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 02:07:25 AM

Well, it was at the CES show in the MtGox booth. I think the part of the problem has been the failure to take advantage of marketing opportunities. As stated before, the primary difficulty was the drop in bitcoin prices below what investors agreed to liquidate their coins at. When the negotiations were taking place bitcoin was still more than $14 so setting the minimum sale price at $11 seemed safe. Then the price went to $2. I had already invested $35,000+ of my own money and was tapped out.
But none of that is relavant now that the effort is open source. There are still many viable models and opportunities for individuals who want to own their own ATM or Kiosk or use the code for any of the other good ideas such as what Zer0 says.

Would be easier to approach existing currency exchange "cambios" and give them a simple system where they can buy/sell bitcoins for cash to walk ins. No multinational chains just small exchange storefronts. They already exist and have insurance, licenses and cash ready.

All you would need is some F/T traders who can idle in jabber all day and transfer coins to whatever address the customer brings in. Then no problems with wallets being hacked, these traders know what they're doing and have offline wallets. Everything is cash only, no training for the merchant they just ask for coins in chat and provide address. Merchant settles to your bank account end of day. Just need to float them coins for 24hrs. For cash out you'd have to come to some daily settle agreement with them or provide $5k cash float up front. Your site would take the coins and generate some sort of crypto signed receipt they can walk in with and cash that can't be forged, that they can somehow verify. Again, chat comes into play they can just hop on it and ask the trader 'is this legit?' and get a yes/no.

Bitinstant could probably set this up for existing businesses, though better if more decentralization like individual small bitcoin traders in each city doing this on their own instead of one giant monopoly that could be a target for authorities, fraud and whatever other problems. Then everybody in the world just goes to a local office in person and does instant cash trade the way bitcoin was meant to be no banks or holds or ach/dwolla fraud, no ID scans sitting in an insecure databse or western union nonsense. y/n?

And Rjk
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:15:28 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2012, 02:57:33 PM by Jonathan Ryan Owens

Good to see that this is now an Open Source effort.

Current Bounties (paid by me)

10 BTC - Set up a live demonstration site [PHP]
15 BTC - Fork PHP and do spring cleaning (waiting for public post w/information, pmt. address)
15 BTC - Back Office / Administrative Development [PHP]
15 BTC - Add Exchange Support (bitfloor / bitstamp / btce) [PHP]

toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 11:40:26 PM

Good to see that this is now an Open Source effort.

Current Bounties (paid by me)

10 BTC - Set up a live demonstration site [PHP]
15 BTC - Fork PHP and do spring cleaning (waiting for public post w/information, pmt. address)
15 BTC - Back Office / Administrative Development [PHP]
15 BTC - Add Exchange Support (bitfloor / bitstamp / btce) [PHP]

Why are you calling for a fork?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:12:01 AM

Why are you calling for a fork?

Now that it's open source, it doesn't matter someone's reasoning I suppose. They can do anything they want.

toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:29:04 AM

I understand fully that "'they' can do anything 'they' want".
The Wiki-page on forking was meant to answer that question before you asked it.
Jonathan has all the php code already and or can pull from the BitcoinATM repository to create his own repository or fork.
Matthew, motives, values and history DO matter.
Please call me on my cell to discuss. 1-949-394-5932
Todd
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:33:28 AM

Jonathan has all the php code already and or can pull from the BitcoinATM repository to create his own repository or fork.

I don't understand. Bitcoin gets forked everyday by someone who wants to take it in a different direction, and I don't think anyone even cares about it. This is new to me. It seems like you don't want it forked?

Todd
We have perfectly good internet at our disposal. Type.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:41:05 AM

I understand fully that "'they' can do anything 'they' want".
The Wiki-page on forking was meant to answer that question before you asked it.
Todd

Todd,

I'm pushing for the development of a fully functional hosted platform that supports activeX for the GenMega and other kiosks. I'm going to further push for the advancement of the concept of independent exchanges having well defined support. Think of it like intersango for Bitcoin Kiosk.

I've let the old stuff go, and I hope you have as well. I hold no grudge, and I understand the financial situation you were in. Let's agree to pursue an open effort to advance and make available an open source software solution that has robust exchange, manufacturer and back office support.

What do you say?

-Jonathan

toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 04:42:44 AM

BitcoinATM open source effort has no technical, moral or business limitations placed on it except the brand itself. The only goal established is the deceptively modest "Automated asymmetrical exchange of bitcoin and physical items of value". Since their is as yet no conflict of interests, 'forking' BitcoinATM right at it's beginning is an irrational waist of time and resources.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 10:44:39 AM

BitcoinATM open source effort has no technical, moral or business limitations placed on it except the brand itself. The only goal established is the deceptively modest "Automated asymmetrical exchange of bitcoin and physical items of value". Since their is as yet no conflict of interests, 'forking' BitcoinATM right at it's beginning is an irrational waist of time and resources.

Todd,

The problem is that your brand association and limitations on its use may make it more difficult to involve anyone of substance. Perhaps consider renaming the github repo "BitcoinKiosk" or something similar.

Attention: The bounties listed stand for the existing github repo "BitcoinATM", but with the hope that this project name will change. It's a kiosk, not an ATM.

In order for this project to go anywhere, I believe that it must provide an open source repo that allows any number of hosted services providers to deploy Kiosk support (to existing kiosks, for instance) and to provide multiple exchange integration with a tight, well documented API.

I'm happy to donate to the effort as it would be nice see this hobbyist project advance.

-Jonathan

ericools

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 04:43:28 PM

I am prepared to purchase and install these machines as soon as someone can iron out the code.  I lack the ability to do that part myself, but will make every effort to bring these to the masses once they are fully functional. 

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 01:38:27 AM

I am prepared to purchase and install these machines as soon as someone can iron out the code.  I lack the ability to do that part myself, but will make every effort to bring these to the masses once they are fully functional. 

ericools:

Your best bet if you want to run a kiosk is to take a look at used genmega machines. ask Todd as I'm sure he can help you to outfit a Kiosk with the proper accessories.

I think we'll want to add a few things before it would be usable:
1. paper wallet (public/private key QR code printout from receipt printer)
2. multi-exchange support
3. blockchain.info wallet support (api integration)
4. administrative / back office / accounting

If someone were to step up and be willing to host and manage the IT side, where the Genmega / other device only has to be pointed / locked in kiosk mode to the hosted site, the activeX controls and functionality required to handle the user requirements will just *work*

ericools, if you're willing to put a few of these kiosks out there, perhaps you'd also be willing to make a pledge to this open source project of a bounty to attract talented developers and potential partners (see: private label infrastructure host)

-Jonathan

TT

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM

Yes, I would be very interested, too. I wrote all the code to interface the Genmega hardware.
toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 06:11:35 AM

Todd, it is unlikely you can trademark BitcoinATM.  BitcoinATM is a descriptive term and probably cannot be trademarked.  The only thing you own is the domain name.  Google "Trademark Act Section 2(e)(1), 15 U.S.C. §1052(e)(1); see TMEP §§1209.01(b), 1209.03 et" for more info.

There is no trademark on the words "BitcoinATM" nor is there likely to be one filed by me (but that is not necessarily a good thing). During investor negotiations Dustin Trammell requested that one be filed. It was never done partly because of timing and because you are correct, it is a generic descriptive term. Also I believe in giving 'value for value'.

I named the repository BitcoinATM knowing full well that I was encouraging it's use, thus making it only a little more difficult for any future trademark or patent squatters to 'extract rent'. Such as the likes of Michael Pascazi filing then retracting a tradmark on 'Bitcoin'.

Additionally, to avoid this possibility, I propose that this Github repository(s), BitcoinATM defined as 'Bitcoin Automated Transaction Mechanisms'. This would encourage the code to go in all sorts of interesting directions for physical and virtual devices large and small.

One more thought on forking; this open source effort is essentially, seriously forked already. There are two repositories supporting the same hardware with very different approaches both having valid technical and security arguments.

Jim Nguyen created the C++ version.  Senior Software Engineer at http://www.defenseweb.com, http://www.bitcoinblogger.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimcnguyen
Email: jimmy.winn@gmail.com
Cell: 1-619-602-7588

Eric Lombrozo created the PHP version (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/eric-lombrozo/37/2b/a79)
Email: elombrozo@gmail.com
Cell: 1-858-735-0270

Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
toddbethell
Life stream at: http://bambuser.com/channel/toddbethell sometimes at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/toddbethell
Blog: www.BitcoinFever.com
Web sites: www.FASTscanning.com www.BitcoinATM.com www.FASTbitcoins.com
Social: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/todd-bethell/8/6ba/216 http://www.facebook.com/toddbethell https://twitter.com/#!/toddbethell
Contact: tbethell08@merage.uci.edu toddbethell@fastscanning.com
FAST Scanning 1-949-340-5438 Cell and sms 1-949-394-5932 Google voice 1-347-286-8170
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 01:40:37 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2012, 05:34:30 AM by Matthew N. Wright

It seems like you really like spamming your information, but I honestly have to wonder-- do the developers you mentioned above appreciate you posting their cell phone numbers without their permission?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 05:34:13 AM

I actually sent Todd a private PM yesterday? about removing the info he posted and hopefully he will comply but it looks like its too late.

Reddacted.

toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 04:01:08 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2012, 12:01:28 AM by toddbethell

I am prepared to purchase and install these machines as soon as someone can iron out the code.  I lack the ability to do that part myself, but will make every effort to bring these to the masses once they are fully functional.  

Eric, can you provide some details on how you will deploy these machines?  I wrote the binaries that Todd posted on Github.

Odd, it appeared from this post and the one above it, that you were interested.
What are you really upset about? I have given you and Eric an opportunity to sell your services and recover the investment of your time with no strings attached.
In our entire relationship you articulated only two requests.
The first was about a week after coding began. That I stop asking questions about your code (which of course I did not see or get). You said "the way I see our relationship is you take care of the business side of things and I will take care of the technical (or programming)".
I failed to convey to you what another critic incorrectly said of me "he turns it on like a video game". And another business principle called 'ownership' vrs 'the agency problem'. Money was involved here, Jim. Lots of my money, future investor money and if things should go wrong jail for the CEO (ME!). How ironic that you sent me the following letter the day after Tom Williams of MyBitcoin.com stole from me 1000btc (NO, I DID NOT GET MY 40% BACK).
Jim, I tried to pay you from the beginning but you repeatedly refused. I tried desperately to purchase your source code right up to the day of the Consumer Electronics Show.

Here is your letter:

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:22 PM
To: Todd Bethell
Subject: Proposal
Categories: bitcoin

Todd,
As you may already know I've always said that equity is not as important to me as the
success of bitcoin. Yes, I admit that I would like to have equity in Bitcoin ATM, but
what I would like to have more is for bitcoin to succeed. If bitcoin succeeds then the
value of bitcoin goes up, all bitcoin owners win, and liberty wins.
So I have a proposal that you may or may not like. I am willing to have 0% equity in
the company in exchange for your blessing to make the bitcoin software open source at
the time of company inception. Why? If the software is open source and the plans are
released online then anyone will be able to build their own ATM. The software will also
be more secure and there will be plenty of programmers working on it. More
importantly, bitcoin has a greater probability of expanding faster.
Bitcoin ATM will have competitors eventually anyway, and for me to see Bitcoin succeed
quickly is worth more than any Bitcoin ATM company. And don't forget that the value
of bitcoin may go up and up and that liberty will prevail. Please give my idea some
serious thought.
Jim

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,

As Jonathan said up above "let the old stuff go"

The ball is in your court but I am not your opponent.

Todd
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: