guiminer/poclbm -v -w128 -f 1
SDK 2.1, Catalyst 10.11
73-75 C, 40% fan speed
Rate: 392 MH/s
I will eventually attempt to overclock it some more, but want to verify stability at this level.
Things that I found are bad
1. Having Catalyst Control Center installed. If I got a crash, the next time I rebooted, CCC would attempt to set ridiculously low clock speeds, which would immediately crash the computer again. Gone.
2. Attempting to underclock the memory while the miner is running. This caused crashing when I dropped the memory below 500. Now I am down to 300-314 without issue.
Things that are good
1. Installing SDK 2.1 in place of 2.4 boosted hashrate by up to 10 MH/s.
2. Slightly increasing the fan speed using a custom profile in Afterburner helped reduce the temperature to a more comfortable setting.
2. Dropping memory clock to about 1/3 of core clock: lowered temperature by another 7-10 C.
3. Increasing memory clock by 14 after setting it to 1/3 of core clock: increased hashrate by 1-2 MH/s.
Things that made no difference:
1. Installing Catalyst 10.11 in place of the latest version. (I verified that the driver version was correct in device manager).
I had been searching for this solutions for days. You are awesome! My GPU thanks you with its cooler temps!