Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:35:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Donate bitcoins to Adam Curry and help get a DSC episode dedicated to bitcoin.  (Read 6243 times)
Anonymous

May 10, 2011, 03:48:54 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2011, 05:02:46 AM by noagendamarket

Adam wrote this blog post today and mentioned it on sundays noagenda show http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/05/09/bitcoinGoodAsGold.html

His bitcoin address is in the article. I think it deserves a few bitcoins.

(postscript) I'll up the ante here. Upon a total receipt of 100 BTC's, I will do a new episode of the Daily Source Code podcast. Value for value!

I am sending 33 btc to kick it off.  Want to help get a daily source code dedicated to bitcoin ?

P.S. redirected http://www.noagendamarket.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jon_smark

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 06:01:45 PM

Though Curry may indeed bring much welcome publicity to Bitcoin, I cannot agree with your statement that he deserves our donations.  I was once swindled into listening to his "No Agenda" podcast, and Oh. My. Goodness.  The guy is borderline schizophrenic with his crazy conspiracy theories.  Moreover, I have never seen anyone so proud about spouting their ignorance to the world.  And I'm not talking about harmless stuff, either.  He went on rants against vaccines and the science of anthropogenic global warming. In the developing world there have been outbreaks of measles and pertussis because parents are not vaccinating their kids as they should.  Children have died, for goodness sake!  And don't even get me started on the wacky global warming denialism...

Anyway, for the reasons above I most certainly won't be donating any money to the likes of Adam Curry.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 08:57:41 AM

Though Curry may indeed bring much welcome publicity to Bitcoin, I cannot agree with your statement that he deserves our donations.  I was once swindled into listening to his "No Agenda" podcast, and Oh. My. Goodness.  The guy is borderline schizophrenic with his crazy conspiracy theories.  Moreover, I have never seen anyone so proud about spouting their ignorance to the world.  And I'm not talking about harmless stuff, either.  He went on rants against vaccines and the science of anthropogenic global warming. In the developing world there have been outbreaks of measles and pertussis because parents are not vaccinating their kids as they should.  Children have died, for goodness sake!  And don't even get me started on the wacky global warming denialism...

Anyway, for the reasons above I most certainly won't be donating any money to the likes of Adam Curry.

Children die from cars. Every day. Every day. Every day. Every day. Don't use that scare mongering, save the children BS. Or, if you actually believe that things that kill children are bad then spout it consistently at least.

I haven't listened to this guy. But maybe if he did a bitcoin episode...

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jon_smark

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:24:55 PM

Children die from cars. Every day. Every day. Every day. Every day. Don't use that scare mongering, save the children BS. Or, if you actually believe that things that kill children are bad then spout it consistently at least.

Talk about completely missing the point.  Stating that Curry's tirades against vaccines are part of a science denialism movement which has already caused the needless deaths of children is not scaremongering or engaging in frivolous "will-someone-think-of-the-children" arguments.  The expression scaremongering implies a certain degree of exaggeration and of drumming up innate fears for ideological purposes.  It is a fact that a decrease in vaccination rates in western countries has already lead to an increase in the incidence of diseases like measles and pertussis, and actual deaths have already been reported.  How does pointing out this fact can possibly be construed as scaremongering?

Moreover, you are making an unreasonable demand in stating that anyone who wishes to criticise factor X1 because X1 causes Y must also in the same message criticise factors X2, X3, X4, ..., Xn which also cause Y.  If one were to apply that standard consistently, then any message in this forum would have to consist of several chapters with appendices and an index at the end.

I haven't listened to this guy. But maybe if he did a bitcoin episode...

Then I suggest you actually listen to his show at least once before you start suggesting that people give him donations.  This, by the way, is an advice that extends beyond this debacle about Mr Curry.  By donating to someone you are endorsing and enabling them.  It is therefore an ethical imperative for that donation to be an informed act, won't you agree?
fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:28:38 PM

Dude, now you'll certainly be crucified by the Glen Becks of this forum!

jon_smark

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 02:38:57 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2011, 03:14:59 PM by jon_smark

You joke, but even though I do love the technology behind Bitcoin, one of the few things that still has me a little on the fence about its future prospects is precisely the feeling that this community is dominated by kooks.

I will concede that early adopters of any disruptive technology are likely to be people on the fringes, which increases the odds they will also be kooks.  However, I reject the proposition that Bitcoin implies kookiness.

I certainly do not count myself as a crank. I'm allergic to conspiracy theories. I have a scientific and sceptical outlook on the world, which also shapes my views on economics.  And guess what, this has resulted in me gravitating towards Keynesianism as the economics theory that is most consistent with empirical observations of economic history and what we know about human nature.  And yes, I do cringe every time the "hive mind" in this forum spouts market-fundamentalism or Austrian mentality.  It may seem paradoxical, but that is precisely why I still hang around here and continue to support Bitcoin.  The concept is too important to let it die because the crackpots took over.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 06:06:28 PM

Hey, Keynesianism is great - it works very well for centrally controlling a large population via the monetary system. Until it collapses, anyway.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 06:57:25 PM

I certainly do not count myself as a crank. I'm allergic to conspiracy theories. I have a scientific and sceptical outlook on the world, which also shapes my views on economics.  

Everyone considers themselves to be the rational moderate.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:08:29 PM

And I'm not talking about harmless stuff, either.  He went on rants against vaccines and the science of anthropogenic global warming. In the developing world there have been outbreaks of measles and pertussis because parents are not vaccinating their kids as they should.  Children have died, for goodness sake!  And don't even get me started on the wacky global warming denialism...

Children have died because of taking vaccines, which is why not all of them are given to children in developed nations anymore.  Polio is a great example, the illness is deadly, if you get it.  But the vaccine is potentially deadly, again if you get it.  The idea of vaccinating everyone is to wipe out an illness from the face of the Earth so that no more children have to risk death or injury from the vaccine, but most illnesses cannot be wiped out so simply.  My father was messed up by the polio vaccine, and he was an adult at the time.  But back then, nobody really told the parents the real risks of giving their children the vaccines.  Now this is more widely known, and some parents refuse to give their children risky, or any, vaccines.  My own children have only had about half of the "reccommended" set for school children, because they are homeschooled and I can do as I want.  My wife and I choose between them based on the risks of real harm if infected times the odds of actual infection in the modern world and weigh that against the odds of a particular vaccine causing harm.  We live in the US, which means that our children benefit from the 'herd immunity' effect from being in a city wherein most of the other children are vaccinated, and therefore there is no infection vector that could likely reach them anyway.  The public school kids bear the risks, while my kids benefit.  It's not fair, but that's life.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 07:18:09 PM

Moreover, you are making an unreasonable demand in stating that anyone who wishes to criticise factor X1 because X1 causes Y must also in the same message criticise factors X2, X3, X4, ..., Xn which also cause Y.  If one were to apply that standard consistently, then any message in this forum would have to consist of several chapters with appendices and an index at the end.

Fair point.

Then I suggest you actually listen to his show at least once before you start suggesting that people give him donations.  This, by the way, is an advice that extends beyond this debacle about Mr Curry.  By donating to someone you are endorsing and enabling them.  It is therefore an ethical imperative for that donation to be an informed act, won't you agree?

I wasn't really saying people should pay him. I was saying I wasn't likely to pay him until after he did a bitcoin show.

I do agree and I don't donate to people who I have fundamental disagreements with. Informed/uninformed is a false dichotomy. You never have all the information and you rarely have none.  When I tip a programmer I just assume he's not a white supremacist negro murderer. I don't think I have an obligation to find out for sure, playing the odds is fine in my ethics handbook.

fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:57:36 PM

You joke, but even though I do love the technology behind Bitcoin, one of the few things that still has me a little on the fence about its future prospects is precisely the feeling that this community is dominated by kooks.

I will concede that early adopters of any disruptive technology are likely to be people on the fringes, which increases the odds they will also be kooks.  However, I reject the proposition that Bitcoin implies kookiness.

I certainly do not count myself as a crank. I'm allergic to conspiracy theories. I have a scientific and sceptical outlook on the world, which also shapes my views on economics.  And guess what, this has resulted in me gravitating towards Keynesianism as the economics theory that is most consistent with empirical observations of economic history and what we know about human nature.  And yes, I do cringe every time the "hive mind" in this forum spouts market-fundamentalism or Austrian mentality.  It may seem paradoxical, but that is precisely why I still hang around here and continue to support Bitcoin.  The concept is too important to let it die because the crackpots took over.

I feel the exact same way you do!

jon_smark

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:31:33 PM

It is true we all have our biases and an over-inflated sense of self-worth.  However, it would also be a mistake to assume the relativist position that therefore we are all equally skewed.  Different people occupy different positions in the rational-irrational spectrum.  Furthermore, our innate biases only reaffirm the need for a method of understanding the world based on empirical observation and logic.  This method goes by the name of Science.  Hence -- and going back to the original topic of this discussion -- why I strongly discourage donations to people like Adam Curry who wallow in their ignorance and disdain of the scientific consensus.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 12:17:13 AM

It is true we all have our biases and an over-inflated sense of self-worth.  However, it would also be a mistake to assume the relativist position that therefore we are all equally skewed.  Different people occupy different positions in the rational-irrational spectrum.  Furthermore, our innate biases only reaffirm the need for a method of understanding the world based on empirical observation and logic.  This method goes by the name of Science.  Hence -- and going back to the original topic of this discussion -- why I strongly discourage donations to people like Adam Curry who wallow in their ignorance and disdain of the scientific consensus.

I have no idea who Adam Curry is, but if you think that there is anything close to a scientific consensus on the climate, you're deluded.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 12:37:38 AM

I certainly do not count myself as a crank. I'm allergic to conspiracy theories. I have a scientific and sceptical outlook on the world, which also shapes my views on economics.  

Ha! Not me. I'm an occasionally rational extremist!

Anonymous

May 12, 2011, 05:48:38 AM

I have no idea who Adam Curry is, but if you think that there is anything close to a scientific consensus on the climate, you're deluded.

We are all denialists now.  Smiley

Its all moot because it looks like he raised the 100 btc he was wanting to do an episode of the daily source code.

Dont conflate people who listen to different opinions on things with 'kooks'. Pointing out things such as tsa workers not being allowed to wear radiation badges while operating body scanners at the airport does bring up questions as to why. The mass media manipulation that they expose is also a valuable thing.

At least the guys are listener supported unlike pbs who claim to be while taking advertising dollars hand over fist. They dont take corporate "sponsorship" or advertising. Using bitcoin to support less of that is something worthwhile.

Anonymous

May 12, 2011, 05:59:01 AM

I hear someone support "global warming " and they seem like a religious convert. I guess it depends which side of the fence you stand on.

Personally I support vaccines for certain diseases such as polio,measles and whooping cough however what curry is ranting about is the way they bring out vaccines for idiotic things such as smoking. You know that they have made vaccine manufacturers immune from legal responsibility dont you ?

This means you only have to classify something as a "vaccine" and you are in the clear as a drug company from responsibility for harming people. That is incredibly wrong in my book because if you injure someone you should not be protected from making them whole.

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 06:03:02 AM

No, I'm not!
Anonymous

May 12, 2011, 07:12:05 AM

No, I'm not!

If you use bitcoin you are ...you deny the banksters their ounce of blood.

Anonymous

May 12, 2011, 07:20:48 AM

Bitcoin doesnt care who uses it. Crackpots or not. Thats why we like it.

shooter_mcgavin

Activity: 76

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 03:42:38 PM

So...we give him free money........and he'll promote the currency so he can make more money?  Come on -_-

If you think I've been helpful, toss me a few bitcoin -  1J2bbukPKFrwEfk4iHueKfLfFBXLSNGnTi
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: