Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:58:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What ? TrueCrypt isn't accepting BTC donnation ? Add your voice.  (Read 2319 times)
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 06:36:28 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2012, 07:21:29 PM by Transisto

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption

Their whole forum of 80 000+ posts has zero mention of "bitcoin"

http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?p=102287#102287

Edit : Sent a request to the right place, apparently the forum is not for this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:21:17 AM

It is perplexing that in the A.W. era TC still doesn't accept B donations, but accepts PayPal. Seem that a lot of people in the Bitcoin world use TC...  Huh

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:25:23 AM

I contacted them with a brief suggestion about a year ago, then again few months ago. I never got any response from them, and they never got any money from me. 

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
imanikin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:29:31 AM

Yes, same here. In fact, considering that their front page is asking for donations in bright red, it's starting to make me suspicious that they would rather use PP...  Cool

Wouldn't BitPay handle it for them for free as a non-profit, and a major free security software developer?

Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 02:28:55 PM

I did not receive any reply to my April inquiry.

I'm not sure who to ask again.

I herein pledge 30$ worth of BTC to TrueCrypt if they make it visible as a donation option.  Anyone willing to pool their donations ?
niko

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:10:28 PM

I did not receive any reply to my April inquiry.

I'm not sure who to ask again.

I herein pledge 30$ worth of BTC to TrueCrypt if they make it visible as a donation option.  Anyone willing to pool their donations ?

I pledge $12. I use truecrypt, and would love to donate, but having to fill out PayPal forms with all the information, then having to remember to pay off my credit card is just too much when I can simply send a coin from my wallet in three clicks.  They could have my coins, or they could have them automatically converted to usd and deposited to their bank account via Paysius or BitPay. I don't understand why they are so irresponsive.

Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 10:06:46 PM

I pledge $0 cause True Crypt is getting shadier and shadier.
Please explain.
niko

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:56:37 AM

Please explain.

There are rumors floating around that the developer(s) have left big backdoors in the software, and that they are a honeypot. *Tin Foil Hats ON*

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads2
Anyone can review the code, build their own executables, and compare them to what is offered. The unspecified rumors you are referring to are not very sensible. In fact, you referring to them is not sensible. No offense.  It would be much easier and effective to modify downloads of truecrypt en route to your target, or to compromise their system in some other way, then to install backdoor in genuine tc installers.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:59:46 AM

Please explain.

There are rumors floating around that the developer(s) have left big backdoors in the software, and that they are a honeypot. *Tin Foil Hats ON*

Anyone can review the code, build their own executables, and compare them to what is offered. The unspecified rumors you are referring to are not very sensible. In fact, you referring to them is not sensible. No offense.  It would be much easier and effective to modify downloads of truecrypt en route to your target, or to compromise their system in some other way, then to install backdoor in genuine tc installers.

If you can download the source and compile it, I will be amazed, it isn't easily stuff. But of course it is just rumors, and stuff, you do what you want, I personal stopped using truecrypt on extremely sensitive data, more cause the Identities of these programmer(s) have never been release and that never sits well with me.
imanikin

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 01:24:11 AM

I am in for 1B.

niko

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 02:49:10 AM

If you can download the source and compile it, I will be amazed, it isn't easily stuff. But of course it is just rumors, and stuff, you do what you want, I personal stopped using truecrypt on extremely sensitive data, more cause the Identities of these programmer(s) have never been release and that never sits well with me.
You made me do some more learning, and you are right. It is a little bit shady. It'd be nice if at least they specified details of their compiler, so people can confirm independantly that provided executables come from the provided source code.

caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 03:30:42 AM

You made me do some more learning, and you are right. It is a little bit shady. It'd be nice if at least they specified details of their compiler, so people can confirm independantly that provided executables come from the provided source code.

Perhaps we should try to compile from source and use md5 to compare the hashes of the program. Kind of difficult, since it's packed in an installer and has numerous files. But doable.

caffeinewriter

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 03:43:05 AM

Perhaps we should try to compile from source and use md5 to compare the hashes of the program. Kind of difficult, since it's packed in an installer and has numerous files. But doable.

LMAO we will see you in 100yrs, what compiler you going to use?

Haha, you thought I was going to do this? Haha, that's a little out of my league. Maybe in a few years Tongue

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 03:53:37 AM

Please explain.

Do you know of any better alternatives to Truecrypt?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:11:12 AM

Who cares who made TrueCrypt? We've got the source, and many independent programmers have looked at it.

Same question about Bitcoin. Where is the author? Who is he? Where in the World is Satoshi Nakamoto? Is that a new game?

People who make stuff like this like to disappear, but they leave the source code so others can continue the work that was started.

I like TrueCrypt and use it. FBI couldn't get Daniel Dantas on it, and some other news about hackers using encryption (hinting the use of TrueCrypt).

niko

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:41:18 AM

So, my unqualified questions are: has the source code been ever reviewed by independant groups, and has anyone ever compiled any version and compared it to the packages offered on the TC site?

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:52:52 AM

So, my unqualified questions are: has the source code been ever reviewed by independant groups, and has anyone ever compiled any version and compared it to the packages offered on the TC site?

I think people have compiled it for windows, but like very few. It isn't impossible but extremely unlikely you could without having there compiler. I have yet to see a comparison from independent groups. Plus it is released under there own license it is just a very shady operation.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#TrueCrypt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: