Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:43:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it good to have one currency across borders ? Friedman says No.  (Read 2865 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 01:49:35 AM

Can you *prove* the identity of any Bitcoin transactions?
There's plenty of published addresses.  For example, my firstbits are in my signature.  You can see I've sent a few transactions with that address.

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/4401755/cd7f8895d2a3ad006972105f596fd7cd4661f1f81a6ae370bf7d14f79ef7db03

This transaction links a bunch of my addresses and clearly contains a donation to Armory.
Since I don't know you from Atlas, I'll just have to take your word that those addresses did not pass through a criminal's nose.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 06:19:55 AM

There's plenty of published addresses.  For example, my firstbits are in my signature.  You can see I've sent a few transactions with that address.

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/4401755/cd7f8895d2a3ad006972105f596fd7cd4661f1f81a6ae370bf7d14f79ef7db03

This transaction links a bunch of my addresses and clearly contains a donation to Armory.
Since I don't know you from Atlas, I'll just have to take your word that those addresses did not pass through a criminal's nose.
I wasn't talking about criminal activity at all.  I was stating that I can prove the identity of some Bitcoin transactions and you asked if "any" could be.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:40:09 AM

I wasn't talking about criminal activity at all.  I was stating that I can prove the identity of some Bitcoin transactions and you asked if "any" could be.
I really don't know what you are saying. In science and the real world, nothing is proven. You are asking me to believe you, which I probably do.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 01:25:05 AM

There's plenty of published addresses.  For example, my firstbits are in my signature.  You can see I've sent a few transactions with that address.

I wasn't talking about criminal activity at all.  I was stating that I can prove the identity of some Bitcoin transactions and you asked if "any" could be.
I really don't know what you are saying. In science and the real world, nothing is proven. You are asking me to believe you, which I probably do.
Now I have no idea what you are saying. Nothing is proven? What?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:23:33 AM

There's plenty of published addresses.  For example, my firstbits are in my signature.  You can see I've sent a few transactions with that address.

I wasn't talking about criminal activity at all.  I was stating that I can prove the identity of some Bitcoin transactions and you asked if "any" could be.
You show me some anonymous addresses that you could have found anywhere and claim they are yours. OK, so what? That proves nothing. If you are going to make a claim, then you need to offer testable evidence that can be verified independently. One possible way would be to give me your private keys and I could see for myself.  Tongue

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:33:11 AM

You show me some anonymous addresses that you could have found anywhere and claim they are yours. OK, so what? That proves nothing. If you are going to make a claim, then you need to offer testable evidence that can be verified independently. One possible way would be to give me your private keys and I could see for myself.  Tongue

He could sign a statement with the addresses' privatekey to verify himself.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:42:36 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 02:56:43 AM by cbeast

You show me some anonymous addresses that you could have found anywhere and claim they are yours. OK, so what? That proves nothing. If you are going to make a claim, then you need to offer testable evidence that can be verified independently. One possible way would be to give me your private keys and I could see for myself.  Tongue

So he is using a signature to prove that Silk Road doesn't exist? OK, I'll bite. Besides, that doesn't prove they are his only that he has access to them. This is getting silly trying to explain epistemology and the scientific method to a troll. You can't prove things in RL, you can only show evidence. In mathematics, you can prove perfect geometric shapes, but you cannot find them in nature. Proving an address exists doesn't prove anything about how it is used. Geeks get awfully goddam arrogant sometimes thinking they have answers for everything with a simple algorithm or formula.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 04:35:05 AM

You show me some anonymous addresses that you could have found anywhere and claim they are yours. OK, so what? That proves nothing. If you are going to make a claim, then you need to offer testable evidence that can be verified independently. One possible way would be to give me your private keys and I could see for myself.  Tongue

So he is using a signature to prove that Silk Road doesn't exist? OK, I'll bite. Besides, that doesn't prove they are his only that he has access to them. This is getting silly trying to explain epistemology and the scientific method to a troll. You can't prove things in RL, you can only show evidence. In mathematics, you can prove perfect geometric shapes, but you cannot find them in nature. Proving an address exists doesn't prove anything about how it is used. Geeks get awfully goddam arrogant sometimes thinking they have answers for everything with a simple algorithm or formula.
Proving silk road doesn't exist? wtf are you going on about...

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:17:22 AM

Proving silk road doesn't exist? wtf are you going on about...
Heh, this is where the red herring was thrown in. I added a wink emoticon and someone had to start a major troll over it. I fell for it because I was bored and I was on my mobile.

bitcoin *is* a local currency. It's the currency of a niche of nerdy crypto-anarchists so far.
You forgot drug dealers, human traffickers, and assassins.  Wink

can you prove that?

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 04:38:13 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 04:52:00 PM by Red Emerald

Heh, this is where the red herring was thrown in. I added a wink emoticon and someone had to start a major troll over it. I fell for it because I was bored and I was on my mobile.
There was no "major trolling" done by anyone in this topic... Except maybe by you.  You brought up crime and trolling and silk road and even Atlas... Take a breath...

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:01:04 PM

There was no "major trolling" done by anyone in this topic... Except maybe by you.  You brought up crime and trolling and silk road and even Atlas... Take a breath...
You, if anyone, should know that sarcasm is lost on some people and others twist words into their own agenda. That to me is the very definition of trolling. That was done when Moonshadow asked me to prove that Bitcoin is not ever used to buy drugs, which to me seemed ludicrous. I wasn't trying to change the topic, hence the emoticon. I think the whole SR thing has people's sensibilities all loopy. Get over it.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: