Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:48:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on selling a book  (Read 905 times)
realnowhereman (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:28:01 PM

Over the last year or so I've been writing a book on photography.

I actually only did it as a project for myself, with no intent to even show it to anyone else; but it is now approaching completion and it occurred to me that it might have value to someone somewhere.  Being an evil capitalist pig, that implied to me that I should try and sell it.

It would be, basically, a PDF for sale for some nominal number of BTC.  Given that it was never intended as a money maker I wouldn't want to charge a lot for a copy, nor to bother with DRM.

Selling work like this is completely new to me, either traditional or bitcoin.  Does anyone here have experience of selling a book for bitcoins (I'm not interested in fiat, only bitcoins)?  What are your thoughts?

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:33:00 PM

I have bought a book/PDF via bitcoin before. It was easy. The seller posted it to a site that has password protection. Then when he received his funds he sent me a link and password to access it. You could, of course, use email just as easily.  If I can remember the website we used I will post a link in this post later.

EDIT: here it is. http://www.bitcoinservice.co.uk/

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 03:37:23 PM

Okay, I'll push some business to a site when it is due. Try https://www.coindl.com/ you upload your file to their site and set a price then it is added to their webshop and if people want to download your book they pay the price and get your file. Then the site takes a 20% fee and sends you the rest.
realnowhereman (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 08:58:13 AM

Thanks for the interesting links chaps.

20% (coindl) and 10% (bitcoinservice) off the top seems a bit excessive for, essentially, a web server and a bitcoin address.  Even more so given that the "service" seems to be the supply of a associated bitcoin-funded account, which is only necessary because that's the only way they can get their cut.

For low volume, I wonder how much trouble RodeoX's suggestion of emailing a PDF would be.  It's not like I expect to sell thousands of copies (if any).

As an additional question: is there anywhere one can go to buy books-for-bitcoins?

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2012, 09:32:21 AM

Thanks for the interesting links chaps.

20% (coindl) and 10% (bitcoinservice) off the top seems a bit excessive for, essentially, a web server and a bitcoin address.  Even more so given that the "service" seems to be the supply of a associated bitcoin-funded account, which is only necessary because that's the only way they can get their cut.

For low volume, I wonder how much trouble RodeoX's suggestion of emailing a PDF would be.  It's not like I expect to sell thousands of copies (if any).

As an additional question: is there anywhere one can go to buy books-for-bitcoins?

I'd suggest listing your e-book on Amazon's marketplace, then placing a mention in the description that you can purchase via Bitcoin by email.

Best of both worlds really Smiley

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: