Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a Gold-backed security?  (Read 1381 times)
John S. (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 04:57:39 PM

I have about a 1/2 ounce worth of gold in two small coins I'm interested in selling; however, I am playing with the idea of dividing it up as shares on GLBSE.

If somebody were to gain enough shares (1/4 of an ounce) to buy the smallest coin, I could send it to them at any time.

Now, if this were to get big enough, I could have people send gold to me to keep in a anonymous safe that would be audited with bi-weekly photos. People could then trade their Gold on GLBSE.

Any interest in this idea? Criticism?

Ideas on how far said security should be split up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 04:59:16 PM

I'd rather just have the coin in my hand.  It's not worth the GLBSE fees.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 05:11:22 PM

So if one person has 90% of share and one person has 10% the 10%er kind of has the other guy by the balls. You should make sure to be that 10%er. Or maybe you buy 60% from yourself and don't even have to send that 1 coin ever.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

So if one person has 90% of share and one person has 10% the 10%er kind of has the other guy by the balls. You should make sure to be that 10%er. Or maybe you buy 60% from yourself and don't even have to send that 1 coin ever.

This.  I am not interested but the concept doesn't even make sense unless you are talking about at least dozens of ounces and willingness to buy more gold and issue more shares to improve liquidity as needed.

For example say you issue 1000 shares per ounce.  A trapped investor has 220 shares but needs 250 to liquidate.  There are no sellers.  You offer to purchase another gold coin(s), issue new shares and sell 30 to him an secondary offering, and the other 970 to any other investors.  Trapped investor now has 250 shares, he liquidates them, 250 shares removed from GLBSE, one 1/4 ounce coin removed from backing assets.

If all that sounds like too much work well ...
John S. (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:28:07 PM

Yep, I see. I would need to go bigger unless this was just for fun. You know, to speculate on gold on a very small scale?

Anyways, I see one guy has a Gold bond on the market now. As for the soundness of an Australian Gold vault, I'll leave that up to you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: