Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:42:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of money panel discussion: Virtual Currencies  (Read 2823 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 02:16:04 PM

Also just found the panel discussion with Charlie Shrem[BitInstant] and Jered Kenna[TradeHill]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSouQFcb0Q

Virtual Currencies panel @Future of Money & Tech Conference w Jered Kenna, Bitcoin & Philip Rosedale, Coffee & Power & Charlie Shrem, Bitinstant.com & Rebecca Watson, RadiumOne with Eric Chan, Embee Mobile moderator. Video credit to Silvia Matheus

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 06:25:38 PM

This is GREAT!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 07:59:45 PM

That talk was roughly 50% about Bitcoin. THAT is how a virtual currency panel should be done!
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 09:50:26 PM

The video didn't cover some of the more advanced features like escrow -- I only recently learnt about escrow myself. Is anyone providing such services with Bitcoin already? Basically I can envisage an on-line market along the lines of Gumtree or Ebay, except that buyers and sellers can negotiate special terms based on things like trust, rankings, and transaction size.

For example: sellers try to attract wary buyers by accepting a flexible X% payment in good faith, and X% in escrow, unlocked on delivery.

For expensive items, the market operator (or Bitcoin??) could provide a two-way escrow system, whereby both the buyer and seller set aside some funds, so that both sides are motivated to be honest. Imagine going on-line, paying a fully refundable deposit in Bitcoin on a piece of jewellery/car, meeting the seller in public, taking the item back with you, and then paying the remainder on-line!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 10:08:25 PM

The video didn't cover some of the more advanced features like escrow -- I only recently learnt about escrow myself. Is anyone providing such services with Bitcoin already? Basically I can envisage an on-line market along the lines of Gumtree or Ebay, except that buyers and sellers can negotiate special terms based on things like trust, rankings, and transaction size.

For example: sellers try to attract wary buyers by accepting a flexible X% payment in good faith, and X% in escrow, unlocked on delivery.

For expensive items, the market operator (or Bitcoin??) could provide a two-way escrow system, whereby both the buyer and seller set aside some funds, so that both sides are motivated to be honest. Imagine going on-line, paying a fully refundable deposit in Bitcoin on a piece of jewellery/car, meeting the seller in public, taking the item back with you, and then paying the remainder on-line!

Many Bitcoin Escrow companies exist, and I even talked about it at the end of the panel

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 05:48:13 AM

@Yankee (BitInstant)

Answer for your question:

QQ Coin (QCoin) is not tranferable,  you can't transfer QCoin from on account to another,
you can only buy it, use it to buy other virtual stuff,
I think that's the big difference between QCoin and FaceBookCredit.

blablahblah

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:00:29 AM

Many Bitcoin Escrow companies exist, and I even talked about it at the end of the panel

That's cool. The video sounded a bit like it was cut off by some unknown amount before the end.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 09:10:14 AM

Watchin'

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:53:25 AM

I was surprised I didn't hear the term roach motel mentioned.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 03:09:36 PM

That's cool. The video sounded a bit like it was cut off by some unknown amount before the end.

Yes, where is the rest of it?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 04:42:10 PM

Yeh, the whole panel was 1 hour, I think she ran out of tape Sad

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 05:38:56 PM

tape?

How many Gbyte's of tape did she have? LOL
Digital tape is generaaly not measured by GB. If it was, I suspect the real estate would be TB because of the low compression.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:51:24 PM

tape?

How many Gbyte's of tape did she have? LOL
Digital tape is generaaly not measured by GB. If it was, I suspect the real estate would be TB because of the low compression.

That just made me laugh because my kids Flip SlideHD will record 2 hours of HD video on a single charge and hold 4 hours of video before downloading at 720p. How can you run out of tape?

You run out of tape when you are using actual tape, like this:
Not hard drives or memory cards.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 09:52:41 PM

I can solve that equation: X=50
I just don't understand what's flexible about it Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
blablahblah

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:00:37 PM

I can solve that equation: X=50
I just don't understand what's flexible about it Wink

You find two sellers offering the same product for the same price, but one of them is willing to "undercut" the competition by accepting 40% up front, so you go with that one because as a buyer, you get more power. It was just a thought that I had. I'm curious to find out what would happen in a free market if someone out there provides a "collection" of different escrow options.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 10:21:56 PM

Alright leave me alone lol I use 'tape' for everything

bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 12:50:39 AM

Did a post disappear from here? Was it too off-topic?

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 01:28:10 AM

Yes. And yes.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 02:57:02 AM

Yes. And yes.

+1

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 03:19:29 AM

It was my post quoting a ran-out-of-tape post and supplying an Fail image that was removed, bc. I opt to post an image opposed to expressing with words how I truly felt about why the second half was not recorded. This was an important event for Bitcoin, one that we have been waiting for to read, hear and, yes, hopefully watch about. Now, somebody explain to me in terms that I can understand how the FUCK did the entire talk not get recorded. Are we going to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, thus looking like a bunch of amateurs?

That's why I opt to only post the image below, opposed to writing the above. Cause I was fuckin' pissed.

To be clear, I'm not pissed because my post was removed, because I truly understand that your reasoning for doing such was sound, Gavin (I assume).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: