Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:08:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not trying to offend anyone but is BitcoinATM serious project?  (Read 1172 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:34:55 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 02:07:54 AM by Xenland

Seriously not trying to offend, just curious as to other bitcoiners thoughts about the project....

It seems like they are just very enthusiastic about Bitcoin that they are just oblivious as to what they are trying to accomplish is just completely a waste of time. Granted an ATM for Bitcoins would be useful in the rare occasion that I happen to find another Bitcoiner on the street and they just so happen to need some Bitcoins and I don't happen to have my cellphone on me with out the Bitcoin client app, but assuming that this rare occasion could happen(and it did). So heres my questions...

Why would any one deal with bitcoins on a Windows XP ran kiosk?
Does anyone else notice the gaping hole to running an ATM machine on an Apache2+PHP server and on top of that attackers can have physical access to the ATM machine?
Even if this was ran on an executable and not a web server... using windows xp to run the executable just leaves open for a rootkit virus to take over your kiosk machine while your doing a transfer....

Looking back at the page, I think It might be a all-in-one ad-caimpain for his blogs and other websites probably made by him. Okay I'ma just come out and say it looks like one big fat open source troll project. There I said it... Not tell me how much I'm wrong... go ahead... tell me.

(*edited grammer cuz imma english tard)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:27:00 AM

I'm not commenting on BitcoinATM specifically, since I haven't looked at it.

But I have a feeling that, now that serious VC money is beginning to come into Bitcoin, it's bringing along a handful of patent trolls.  Their general MO is to quickly throw together something crappy (using Windows or .NET typically) that has zero chance of ever becoming a real product, then apply for patent protection and wait for someone competent to come along to build a real business around the same, usually obvious idea.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:38:42 AM

Ah so thats the definition of a patent troll I've been hearing lately....

So...
Basically Build a product that will be ideally good in the future
Apply for an ambiguous patent...
Get patent
Await for trillionaire to want to invest in the same idea but can't because the law says so
Instead trillionaire is forced to make a deal with ambiguous patent holder
Profit!

Gotcha..... It all makes sense now.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:50:12 AM

they are just oblivious as to what they are trying to accomplish is just completely a waste of time.

Ding ding ding

The math doesn't work, it was a novel idea, but like a great majority of the bad ideas in the bitcoin community, hype won't save you and not everything can be done "because bitcoin" in the real world. That only works in our fake little forum world.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:56:40 AM

they are just oblivious as to what they are trying to accomplish is just completely a waste of time.

Ding ding ding

The math doesn't work, it was a novel idea, but like a great majority of the bad ideas in the bitcoin community, hype won't save you and not everything can be done "because bitcoin" in the real world. That only works in our fake little forum world.

Xenland: It's a complete waste of time to build a company around the idea, but it's not a complete waste of time to build an open source repo that allows any number of hosted services providers to deploy Kiosk support (to existing kiosks, for instance) and to provide multiple exchange integration with a tight, well documented API.

See, this way anyone in the world who wants to go full retard can do so very cheaply. You're right about the problem of hosting php on the kiosk, of course. The software absolutely must be hosted elsewhere and kiosks locked down as is standard practice.

-Jonathan

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:06:39 AM

Okay just making sure there are no elephants in this neck of the woods room
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: