Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:28:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming soon...  (Read 6398 times)
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:28:41 PM

Wish I had the money for one of those  Tongue

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jaryu

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 03:57:09 AM

It runs ultra cool ultra even when filled with regular Singles.

So you've got some already made?  How about pictures instead of renders then?

Gotta call BS on this one.  I have a rev three that still requires (and came with) both top and bottom fans.  Their yields are nowhere near the point where they can claim tight enough tolerances if they're shipping these things.  I can't imagine putting just 2-5 of these marginal singles in a shared container.

it's easier to cool something(or lots of something) with more streamlined and efficient designs than small and tight since you have more room to work with.
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:47:22 AM

It runs ultra cool ultra even when filled with regular Singles.

So you've got some already made?  How about pictures instead of renders then?

Gotta call BS on this one.  I have a rev three that still requires (and came with) both top and bottom fans.  Their yields are nowhere near the point where they can claim tight enough tolerances if they're shipping these things.  I can't imagine putting just 2-5 of these marginal singles in a shared container.

it's easier to cool something(or lots of something) with more streamlined and efficient designs than small and tight since you have more room to work with.

Plus I think I read in in one of the many BFL threads that the chips used in the Mini Rig would not be the same ones used in the Single.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:58:28 AM

Another thread to follow ...
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 05:56:27 AM

Actually, the design does have a heat evacuation wind tunnel at each layer.  The upper section of each tray has an isolated heat channel that collects hot air as it's drawn up from the radiator fins where it's blown out in exhaust.

First of all, The individual board fans are much too close to the tray above it; depending on what kind of fan you use, you could be losing as much as 50% airflow from that alone, while generating more noise too. Just try it, take some case fan, hold a paper 10 cm above it, and see (and hear) what happens.

Also most the exhaust (side) fans are actually fighting with the board fans; I assume they suck air out, but they do so below the board fans (ie, hot air, which is good) but also above those fans, ie, they also suck out relatively cool air and while doing so fight the individual board fans, further depriving them from airflow.

Now Im not saying it wont work, they may run cool as cucumbers,  but if they do, you could have achieved the same or better with less fans and noise using a better design IMO. And to be honest, going by the results of the singles which seem to overheat in anything but an airconditioned DC, I cant say Im confident.

You guys seem to be quite competent engineers in your areas of expertise making awesome products, but for system/cooling design, Id really consider getting some outside help, or at least inspiration from other designs.

Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 06:32:50 AM

Actually, the design does have a heat evacuation wind tunnel at each layer.  The upper section of each tray has an isolated heat channel that collects hot air as it's drawn up from the radiator fins where it's blown out in exhaust.

First of all, The individual board fans are much too close to the tray above it; depending on what kind of fan you use, you could be losing as much as 50% airflow from that alone, while generating more noise too. Just try it, take some case fan, hold a paper 10 cm above it, and see (and hear) what happens.

Also most the exhaust (side) fans are actually fighting with the board fans; I assume they suck air out, but they do so below the board fans (ie, hot air, which is good) but also above those fans, ie, they also suck out relatively cool air and while doing so fight the individual board fans, further depriving them from airflow.

Now Im not saying it wont work, they may run cool as cucumbers,  but if they do, you could have achieved the same or better with less fans and noise using a better design IMO. And to be honest, going by the results of the singles which seem to overheat in anything but an airconditioned DC, I cant say Im confident.

You guys seem to be quite competent engineers in your areas of expertise making awesome products, but for system/cooling design, Id really consider getting some outside help, or at least inspiration from other designs.

From the render it would appear they are attempting to use a heatsink that was meant for a single unit airflow and drop that in to what is basically a multi-processor airflow. Air should flow in and flow out in one path. 90 degree turns in airflow create the type of turbulence you don't want in a rig. They need a new heatsink for mini-rig applications. Cooling 80w on what appear to be a pair of gigantic IHS is not a difficult problem.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:51:58 AM

Do i see a Raspberry P inside the RIG ?  The one PCB looks like one Cheesy

norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:40:32 AM

Do i see a Raspberry P inside the RIG ?  The one PCB looks like one Cheesy

Yes I was about to post this.

They are using a Raspberry Pi in the mini rig.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 12:33:39 PM

And thats an explanation why it takes so long to get the rigs assembled. Raspberry Pi is not easy to get Cheesy

norulezapply

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 12:51:42 PM

And thats an explanation why it takes so long to get the rigs assembled. Raspberry Pi is not easy to get Cheesy

Indeed, especially since it's still one per customer!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:13:31 PM

I am very happy they posted it in a new thread, looking forward to receiving my Mini-rig.

BFL haters: get out of here!
Spamers writing "Subed" Get a life!

Subed

Subed
Scared

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:15:56 PM

I am very happy they posted it in a new thread, looking forward to receiving my Mini-rig.

Subed

Subed

Subed
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:18:20 PM

Regarding the water block, your website says:
A much requested water block option is coming for both single and mini rig owners.  Here’s a look at the pre production prototype.

Will this be sold as an optional accessory ? and what price range can we expect ?

It would be an Utopia to be able to run the Mini-Rig in the same room as I sleep. Although I assume some exhaust fans will still be needed to exhaust the heat from the power circuitry ?

Also the tubing has some cable on it, is this pressure sensor or water flow sensor ?

It looks to be a flow sensor.  I doubt they would be including that with each single though as they tend to be expensive ($20 to $40).  Most people buying water cooled singles would be buying more than 1 making multiple flow sensors kinda redundant.  

Good to see them doing some flow testing on the block though.

So BFL how much resistance does the water block have?  Crazy water coolers want to know. Smiley
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 07:14:27 AM

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed
norulezapply

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 11:44:43 AM

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 12:42:18 AM

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed

Subed

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 12:43:48 AM

What's this thread about, again?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 01:23:47 AM

What's this thread about, again?

subed

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
norulezapply

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 08:39:37 AM

Dunno, but i've subed
dirtycat

Activity: 456