Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466756 times)
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:32:32 AM

Question:
What happens, when all available Spendable balances in all currently available (online) wallets go to Staking, and there are ~150-200 confirmations left before the Interest awards begin getting confirmed and coins released from Staking back to Spendable? With no Spendable left, who finds next block?

If all goes well, confirmations should eventually be brought down to a reasonable number. That should reduce the possibility of that happening quite significantly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
y_virtual

Activity: 377
Merit: 251

Note to self: it's not you doing it, it's us.

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:37:24 AM

Question:
What happens, when all available Spendable balances in all currently available (online) wallets go to Staking, and there are ~150-200 confirmations left before the Interest awards begin getting confirmed and coins released from Staking back to Spendable? With no Spendable left, who finds next block?

If all goes well, confirmations should eventually be brought down to a reasonable number. That should reduce the possibility of that happening quite significantly.

But my question is who confirms next block?
lfloorwalker

Activity: 224
Merit: 150

solcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 12:43:45 AM

Thanks for the hardwork how was your trip?

Thanks, got quite a bit of climbing in, and camped with my brother and my dog Leo.  Good times...

-Steve

Thanks for the great work Steve! I am a rockclimber also, mountains are great...
Just updating two of our wallets to 2.0.4
I didn't delete peers.dat yet. Should I still do that?

Nice, where do you like to climb?

It's a good idea to remove peers.dat with this release, as there has been a bit of a battle between 2.0.1/2/3 and 2.0.4. Smiley  It will let the nodes sort out who's good or bad, and restore those that were bad, but are now good.  (That's the "technical" explanation.)

-Steve

Thanks steve, I usually freeclimb in Hokkaido, and Nagano.
Indoor climbing (bouldering) at the gym. Climbing is like a continuous 3D jig-saw puzzle.

Deleted peers.dat on windows.

Cheers,
-lfloorwalker

Cool, do you know Yuji or Akiyo?  They are good friends. Yuji is a legend and owns a gym in Japan.  Akiyo is a phenom world cup boulderer.

This is my son climbing in Japan a couple years ago while filming for the North Face with Yuji.  The Sensei:

Part 1: https://youtu.be/qOOKKHeyy6I

Cheers!

This is great, will PM you.
Cheers,
-lfloorwalker

|Solcrypto|ElectriCChain| SLR Tips: 8Hocu8s8u8FFAyh5ev2qsNmLZYgeiVToHi
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:02:02 AM

Question:

May be it's the reverse - confirmations should be initially brought down to a reasonable number, so that all goes well with any number of wallets?
edit: in PoW, when there are no hashes, difficulty goes down so that the tiniest of hashpower will easily find a block and move the blockchain.
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:10:55 AM

Question:

May be it's the reverse - confirmations should be initially brought down to a reasonable number, so that all goes well with any number of wallets?
edit: in PoW, when there are no hashes, difficulty goes down so that tiniest of hashpower will find a block and move the blockchain.

If the required confirms are too high in the beginning it can be adjusted. Usually staking wallets have a maximum of 6 confirms for every stake found. Generally they don't get stuck as long as there's even the smallest number of participants. 501 confirms was chosen in the beginning to make sure things are running smoothly. The wallet is still being monitored closely.

TooQik

Activity: 337
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:25:47 AM

Question:

My understanding of how PoST works might not be right, but aren't the staked coins the ones doing the work? If so, it doesn't matter how many coins are in Spendable, as these are doing nothing and not contributing towards finding the next block.
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:34:53 AM

Question:

My understanding of how PoST works might not be right, but aren't the staked coins the ones doing the work? If so, it doesn't matter how many coins are in Spendable, as these are doing nothing and not contributing towards finding the next block.

That would have been my understanding, too, but it seems it's not like that - at first you have no staked coins, THEN you find a block, THEN coins go to Staking. With Spendable going down, you find a block less often. Then Spendable goes to ~0 and you find no more blocks. Didn't you notice that?
babbey

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:36:05 AM

That was my understanding also TooQik, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... Smiley

On both machines, I have uninstalled the Solarcoin software, deleted the Solarcoin directory in AppData, installed 2.0.5... and I'm getting absolutely nothing in terms of interest on either wallet. The laptop wallet with 56,000 very old coins has some random 1059 coins staking, with the rest in spendable; the PC wallet with 55,000 'new' coins (transferred a week ago) has all coins in staking, but is generating no interest. Certainly not getting them every couple of minutes like vipgelsi! Cheesy

Despite working with much smaller amounts I would have expected to see SOMETHING coming in. Anyone have any thoughts?

And again, if it's just the dumb random luck similar to mining, I'll (grudgingly) accept that. But as with everyone else here, I am trying to support the blockchain... if my stake doesn't do that I may as well shut down my machines to save power.
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:36:58 AM

Question:

edit: in PoW, when there are no hashes, difficulty goes down so that tiniest of hashpower will find a block and move the blockchain.

If the required confirms are too high in the beginning it can be adjusted. Usually staking wallets have a maximum of 6 confirms for every stake found. Generally they don't get stuck as long as there's even the smallest number of participants. 501 confirms was chosen in the beginning to make sure things are running smoothly. The wallet is still being monitored closely.

It is being monitored closely by all of us here, yes. From the observations so far - a PoST-only implementation "closes" the blockchain to the possibility of "renting" external resources to help meet the main target - moving the blockchain at the required rate.
Anyway, what we see now is that we won't even know if things are running smoothly when the blockchain is anything but running - actually it's quite stuck. Time to adjust the required confirms?

TooQik

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:49:02 AM

Question:

That would have been my understanding, too, but it seems it's not like that - at first you have no staked coins, THEN you find a block, THEN coins go to Staking. With Spendable going down, you find a block less often. Then Spendable goes to ~0 and you find no more blocks. Didn't you notice that?

That was my understanding also TooQik, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... Smiley

Yes, I've noticed that too but thought it was simply how the GUI was updating the counts.

I've only earned one lot of interest (0.09...woohoo) and only after finding that block did my wallet update the Staking count but it did not reduce the Spendable count. Of my original 54,000 coins it now shows 54,000 as Spendable, 1,000 as Staked and a Total of 55,000. Obviously this is not correct as it hasn't taken the 1,000 Staked coins out of the Spendable amount.
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:35:25 AM

Question:

Yes, I've noticed that too but thought it was simply how the GUI was updating the counts.

I've only earned one lot of interest (0.09...woohoo) and only after finding that block did my wallet update the Staking count but it did not reduce the Spendable count. Of my original 54,000 coins it now shows 54,000 as Spendable, 1,000 as Staked and a Total of 55,000. Obviously this is not correct as it hasn't taken the 1,000 Staked coins out of the Spendable amount.

You should have a few backups of your wallet.dat. I'd rename your current wallet to something like "wallet(test).dat" and copying over one of your backups. I'd like to see the outcome.

corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:37:49 AM

On both machines, I have uninstalled the Solarcoin software, deleted the Solarcoin directory in AppData, installed 2.0.5... and I'm getting absolutely nothing in terms of interest on either wallet. The laptop wallet with 56,000 very old coins has some random 1059 coins staking, with the rest in spendable; the PC wallet with 55,000 'new' coins (transferred a week ago) has all coins in staking, but is generating no interest. Certainly not getting them every couple of minutes like vipgelsi! Cheesy

Despite working with much smaller amounts I would have expected to see SOMETHING coming in. Anyone have any thoughts?

And again, if it's just the dumb random luck similar to mining, I'll (grudgingly) accept that. But as with everyone else here, I am trying to support the blockchain... if my stake doesn't do that I may as well shut down my machines to save power.

It can take days (literally) to generate a staking event. It took me weeks to get even the tiniest payout in my Arch wallet. My smaller main wallet for solarcoin recently generated a second block, but it took over 48 hours. The longer you have it open, the better it works, especially with post.

babbey

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:42:18 AM

OK thanks corather, I will just leave it alone for now then - should be studying anyway... lol
TooQik

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 03:48:24 AM

You should have a few backups of your wallet.dat. I'd rename your current wallet to something like "wallet(test).dat" and copying over one of your backups. I'd like to see the outcome.

Will try this tonight when I get home and let you know the result.
lfloorwalker

Activity: 224
Merit: 150

solcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 03:52:31 AM

OK thanks corather, I will just leave it alone for now then - should be studying anyway... lol

Thanks Babbey and Corather for explaining that.
Our wallets are staking and have generated about 5.71 coins interest in the last 3 or so days. Wallet's are always on.
The interest is still waiting (500-335 =165) confirmations for it to mature.
Definitely it is not an event that is happening all the time (interest payments very quickly) in our case.

Best,
-lfloorwalker

|Solcrypto|ElectriCChain| SLR Tips: 8Hocu8s8u8FFAyh5ev2qsNmLZYgeiVToHi
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:09:03 AM
Last edit: September 30, 2015, 05:29:54 AM by y_virtual

Can someone clarify how staking really works and why I am getting weird numbers in the spendable tab?
For some reason I have 0.514 ''spendable'' slr even though my stake is a lot more than that.
Shouldn't I be able to spend the coins I already had before block 830000?
I'm worried that my wallet file got corrupted.. My total balance is fine , only the spendable is displaying 0.514 SLR even though there is no transaction for that amount. I have no idea why it's keeping those 0.514?
Is everything fine with my wallet or do I need to reload it from a old backup wallet.dat file?

The old coins are being staked.  If you need some coins to be set aside to spend, set your Reserve Balance in Setting->Options.

-Steve

Thanks for the clarification.
And thank you for your hard work Smiley
Could you help me find out if I have done something wrong?
Before I installed 2.05 I deleted my Solarcoin folder in %appdata% ( I obviously kept my wallet.dat file) and uninstalled solarcoin.
Then I restarted my computer and installed 2.05
It looks like the wallet is now using way less cpu power.. however I'm not sure it's working the way it should for me
I haven't found any blocks since version 2.04 with a rather large stake, so I just wanted to double check if it's all fine...
This morning it said: time to earn interest: 4 hours. As time went by this number kept growing and now it says 1 day.
Shouldn't I be finding more blocks considering I have over 300k slr? Smiley
Thx

It sounds like it is working.  When your coins staked earlier, the coin age was reset, so they have to now earn coin age > 8 hours before they will stake again.  Also, as is my case, the coins have to have a minimum of 500 confirmations to stake, which is taking longer than 8 hours with our current block rate.  i don't expect to earn any interest for another 203 blocks (probably another 10 hours at this rate).

-Steve

EDIT: This could be sped up by getting more 1.5 wallets on 2.0.5.

Question:
On the Stats window, isn't the label "Staking" somehow misleading? Shouldn't that be "Staked" instead?

Edit: imo the most informative and logical Stats would look like this:
"Spendable" = staking + reserve
"- out of them Staking" = staking
"- out of them Reserve" = reserve
"Staked" = staked (that is "Staking" right now)
"Immature" = immature interest
"Unconfirmed" = unconfirmed

"Total" = "Spendable" + "Staked" + "Immature" + "Unconfirmed"

Any thoughts?
babbey

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:32:06 AM

Love it - I was just about to add a very similar thought but don't want to ask Steve to work TOO hard...  Cheesy
mazzaneo

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 07:34:09 AM

I think, as the larger wallets find blocks and their slr move into staking the smaller wallets will have a much greater chance of finding blocks. It took some time before I found my first block... hang in there!
Let us know how you get on.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Your Digital Network | 10MB Blocks
Algo: XEVAN | DK3 | Masternodes
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
CoinPayments | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
mazzaneo

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 07:36:32 AM

Question:

You can fix this by rescanning your wallet

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Your Digital Network | 10MB Blocks
Algo: XEVAN | DK3 | Masternodes
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
CoinPayments | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
TooQik

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:28:58 AM

Question:
On the Stats window, isn't the label "Staking" somehow misleading? Shouldn't that be "Staked" instead?

Edit: imo the most informative and logical Stats would look like this:
"Spendable" = staking + reserve
"- out of them Staking" = staking
"- out of them Reserve" = reserve
"Staked" = staked (that is "Staking" right now)
"Immature" = immature interest
"Unconfirmed" = unconfirmed

"Total" = "Spendable" + "Staked" + "Immature" + "Unconfirmed"

Any thoughts?

I more or less agree but I have a variation as follows:

"Spendable"              = Reserved coins only
   "Earning Stake Time"  = Self explanatory
   "Staked"                  = Self explanatory
   "Immature"               = Immature interest
   "Unconfirmed"           = Unconfirmed

"Total"                     = addition of all above

The reason I believe this would be more accurate is because only reserved coins should be spendable ie. they're doing nothing for the network. All other coins are either "working" or waiting for some kind of confirmation before being allowed to "work".

If you need coins to spend, then it's a matter of releasing them by disabling staking.

You can fix this by rescanning your wallet
Won't this stop my current staking progress and cause me to lose any stake time I have accrued while the rescan completes?
Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: