Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:12:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466756 times)
y_virtual

Activity: 377
Merit: 251

Note to self: it's not you doing it, it's us.

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:39:46 AM

Question:
On the Stats window, isn't the label "Staking" somehow misleading? Shouldn't that be "Staked" instead?

Edit: imo the most informative and logical Stats would look like this:
"Spendable" = staking + reserve
"- out of them Staking" = staking
"- out of them Reserve" = reserve
"Staked" = staked (that is "Staking" right now)
"Immature" = immature interest
"Unconfirmed" = unconfirmed

"Total" = "Spendable" + "Staked" + "Immature" + "Unconfirmed"

Any thoughts?

I more or less agree but I have a variation as follows:

"Spendable"              = Reserved coins only
   "Earning Stake Time"  = Self explanatory
   "Staked"                  = Self explanatory
   "Immature"               = Immature interest
   "Unconfirmed"           = Unconfirmed

"Total"                     = addition of all above

The reason I believe this would be more accurate is because only reserved coins should be spendable ie. they're doing nothing for the network. All other coins are either "working" or waiting for some kind of confirmation before being allowed to "work".

If you need coins to spend, then it's a matter of releasing them by disabling staking.

You can fix this by rescanning your wallet
Won't this stop my current staking progress and cause me to lose any stake time I have accrued while the rescan completes?

But do you mean for Earning Stake Time to be programmatically made non-spendable? That would also require a change in the current functionality, not only a change in what Stats are being displayed and how they are being displayed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:51:40 PM

I currently have 8.9 spendable coins and the rest are staking.
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:05:19 PM

So basically, your wallet is now doing nothing but waiting for some other wallets to find the blocks up to 500 confirms for each of the Interest rewards your coins got and thus release your staked coins to be able to work & find new blocks.
TooQik

Activity: 337
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:07:57 PM

But do you mean for Earning Stake Time to be programmatically made non-spendable? That would also require a change in the current functionality, not only a change in what Stats are being displayed and how they are being displayed.

I wasn't aware that coins earning stake time were programmatically spendable, I thought they were considered as part of the staked count currently.

My thoughts are a coin should only ever be in one of three stages - resting (Spendable), working (Earning stake time and/or staking) or awaiting confirmation before being put back into a working state (Interest and Unconfirmed).
TooQik

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:15:13 PM

So basically, your wallet is now doing nothing but waiting for some other wallets to find the blocks up to 500 confirms for each of the Interest rewards your coins got and thus release your staked coins to be able to work & find new blocks.

I think I need to brush up on my understanding of Post because I was under the impression that staked coins were the coins actually doing the work. While coins that were earning stake time were simply aging for a specific amount of time before they could actually be staked again, thus giving others with staked coins a chance to earn interest. Is this not correct?
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:18:31 PM

I wasn't aware that coins earning stake time were programmatically spendable, I thought they were considered as part of the staked count currently.

My thoughts are a coin should only ever be in one of three stages - resting (Spendable), working (Earning stake time and/or staking) or awaiting confirmation before being put back into a working state (Interest and Unconfirmed).

Yeah, the point is - right now those under the label Spendable are the ones working. While there, you can also spend them.
Once they find a block, they go to "Staking" - if you hover over the label you will see the more precise description : "Total of coins that was staked..."
And also by the way the process goes - it is obvious that since in a new wallet you only have Spendable coins - apparently those are the ones working. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to find a block. Then once a portion of the coins finds a block, they get staked, and can't work anymore until the 500 confirmations after finding that block are done. And then once all Spendable are gone (unless you have set a Reserve) - your wallet does not find more blocks, until some of the staked eventually gets back to Spendable after 500 confirms.
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:24:17 PM

I think I need to brush up on my understanding of Post because I was under the impression that staked coins were the coins actually doing the work. While coins that were earning stake time were simply aging for a specific amount of time before they could actually be staked again, thus giving others with staked coins a chance to earn interest. Is this not correct?

At the beginning, did you have any staked (under Staking)? No one did. In my wallet, as well as yours I bet, every time interest was awarded for a block found, the portion of Spendable coins that found that block went to Staking, and can't be used for neither spending nor finding a block. That's what I observe. That's why I raised the important question - what happens when all Spendable balances from all online wallets go to Zero, and no one's staked coins are back to Spendable yet because none have been confirmed completely? Who then finds next block?
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:28:53 PM

I think we really do need someone to confirm how exactly this process works, without referring to the PDF documents.
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:30:33 PM

At the beginning, did you have any staked (under Staking)? No one did. In my wallet, as well as yours I bet, every time interest was awarded for a block found, the portion of Spendable coins that found that block went to Staking, and can't be used for neither spending nor finding a block. That's what I observe. That's why I raised the important question - what happens when all Spendable balances from all online wallets go to Zero, and no one's staked coins are back to Spendable yet because none have been confirmed completely? Who then finds next block?

Correct.
TooQik

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:40:26 PM

Yes, my wallet was/is behaving exactly as you've outlined. The point I'm trying to make, or understand, is regardless of how they're labelled in the wallet, the staked coins are the ones actually doing work, hence they're the ones finding blocks. If that is correct, then it doesn't matter if your Spendable amount is zero.

If what your'e saying is correct and only coins under Spendable are actually doing the work, then yes there is potential for a deadlock scenario. Surely PoST would have been designed to nagivate around just this kind of scenario though?
onsightit

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

truth=(true?true:false);

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 02:15:36 PM

I think we really do need someone to confirm how exactly this process works, without referring to the PDF documents.

Here's the code that determines the value in the "Stake" row:

// ppcoin: total coins staked (non-spendable until maturity)
int64_t CWallet::GetStake() const
{
    int64_t nTotal = 0;
    LOCK(cs_wallet);
    for (map<uint256, CWalletTx>::const_iterator it = mapWallet.begin(); it != mapWallet.end(); ++it)
    {
        const CWalletTx* pcoin = &(*it).second;
        if (pcoin->IsCoinStake() && pcoin->GetBlocksToMaturity() > 0 && pcoin->GetDepthInMainChain() > 0)
            nTotal += CWallet::GetCredit(*pcoin);
    }
    return nTotal;
}

GetCredit(*pcoin) is the output of the CoinStake txn (similar to the CoinBase txn, but PoS specific).  These are the coins used to stake when generating your interest payment.  To stake again, they have to be matured (500 confirmations).  With our current block rate, this will be greater than 8 hours.

I suppose it might be more accurate to label them "Staked", as they are not included in your stake weight again until matured.

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 02:17:28 PM

Yes, my wallet was/is behaving exactly as you've outlined. The point I'm trying to make, or understand, is regardless of how they're labelled in the wallet, the staked coins are the ones actually doing work, hence they're the ones finding blocks. If that is correct, then it doesn't matter if your Spendable amount is zero.

If what your'e saying is correct and only coins under Spendable are actually doing the work, then yes there is potential for a deadlock scenario. Surely PoST would have been designed to nagivate around just this kind of scenario though?

Never saw this scenario, even on a small testnet with 5 nodes.

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:38:49 PM

-Steve

In PoW mining, the feedback that maintains the 1 minute target is achieved by varying the difficulty according to the hashpower currently working on that blockchain.
In the current PoST implementation we have, what is the feedback used to maintain the target block rate?
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:55:38 PM

My oldest interest payment has 408 confirms.

Also just noticed my cpu power for solarcoin is at 18%  Huh yesterday i was at 1-2%
Alao

Activity: 493

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:22:51 PM

Is there anyway to change the data location to another drive than C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\SolarCoin

Add:

datadir={new location here}

To the solarcoin.conf file.

E.g.:

datadir=D:\Wallets\SolarCoin

It works, but when you do new installs, be sure to uncheck the box for installing a config file.  The config file still has to live in C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\SolarCoin  though the rest of the data can live in the new location.

-Steve

I have another question.  Is the full blockchain downloaded on the Roaming folder?

§: 8Q7zvaH955cCbqu2nCvpPcTvczGfe9psxE
§1 = 1MWh
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 04:28:52 PM

-Steve

In PoW mining, the feedback that maintains the 1 minute target is achieved by varying the difficulty according to the hashpower currently working on that blockchain.
In the current PoST implementation we have, what is the feedback used to maintain the target block rate?

Same concept in PoS.  The difficulty is adjusted.

-Steve

onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 04:30:58 PM

My oldest interest payment has 408 confirms.

Also just noticed my cpu power for solarcoin is at 18%  Huh yesterday i was at 1-2%

It may spike every now and then, but then it will cache the average stake weight value (which is computationally expensive to get).

Other factors affecting CPU are syncing and startup.

-Steve

onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 04:31:21 PM

Is there anyway to change the data location to another drive than C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\SolarCoin

Add:

datadir={new location here}

To the solarcoin.conf file.

E.g.:

datadir=D:\Wallets\SolarCoin

It works, but when you do new installs, be sure to uncheck the box for installing a config file.  The config file still has to live in C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\SolarCoin  though the rest of the data can live in the new location.

-Steve

I have another question.  Is the full blockchain downloaded on the Roaming folder?

Yes.  Or, where ever your datadir is.

solarcoiner

Activity: 445

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:48:51 PM

Bleutrade hasn't updated their wallets yet. They are on the wrong chain.
It looks like someone has been mining coins past 835000 , and is currently trying to sell them on bleutrade right now!
y_virtual

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:58:00 PM

-Steve

Same concept in PoS.  The difficulty is adjusted.

-Steve

So why do we see max 4 blocks per hour all the time? In PoW, we see ~1 block per minute almost independent of the mining power. Are the difficulty adjustment parameters set correctly? According to what you say difficulty should be changed to ~(current difficulty)/12~14
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: