Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:47:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466748 times)
LuckyKey

Activity: 368
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:34:53 PM

Since the Foundation was formed, and regular meetings began taking place, I have been expecting more activity/concrete around both solarcoin streams: technology and promotion.

Firstly, let me state that without value the technology is useless…serves no purpose. So, there should be (at least) equal focus on connecting solarcoins to real/tangible value, as there is on the technology itself; if not more.

The universities love real life issues. I'm sure someone in the US could throw out some feelers to some big Environmental Engineering schools to solution the technology problem?  Equally, connecting the good will of the 10's of millions of people that believe in renewable energy and a green planet, to solarcoins as a way to purchase and promote the cause, could be a quest to throw at universities to research. It should, at the very least, be a key item in the Foundation plan, connecting volunteers looking into all the possibilities.

We need a consistent plan/view. If the plan is continually updated, and prioritizes initiatives and volunteer activities, it can grow as volunteers/schools/private industry/etc. come onboard. It can also track/document the efforts and successes.  But, there needs to be a steady focus on the plan, otherwise the entire initiative goes stagnant. It, like the whole effort, can be a living, breathing entity; subject to change where the cause steers it. Ideally, there would be web site updates on the plan and progress weekly, not every 4+ months!  It's not valid anymore to say that cryptography is new and immature…and imagine. It will go where the effort takes it. It needs progress. It needs steady focus.

I'm in Canada and I just took a free online course at Stanford U in Cryptography…it's a real and growing industry, with many tentacles. 

If the foundation was offically non-profit, it may also be an easier road for schools to leverage their research and efforts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Epiphany

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 11:06:13 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 11:52:58 PM by Epiphany

If we assume that the only thing driving the average price of these coins right now (not just this coin but most of the altcoins) is mostly the mining profitability, then once we get to §1 per block, it might not be a bad thing for price if the PoS wallet is delayed. I just did the math for §1/block profitability using NiceHash and the following is the difficulty to price relationship. Keep in mind, for miners with rigs the price would be a bit lower, but not much.

5 diff =>  $0.04
10 diff => $0.07
20 diff => $0.14
100 diff => $0.70

So my question is this, how much of the price in these coins is driven by this relationship, assuming the coin has made it past the first few months and is still strong? And does that mining model apply to SLR now? There have been coins granted but they make up a very small percentage of the coins in circulation right now and until that picks up over the coming months/years, aren't we really just trading like any other coin out there, technically speaking?

As the extra supply gets filtered out like we've seen in the last week with all the dumping, doesn't it stand to reason that the above relationship would then naturally kick in?

I just had this thought as I was working through what things might look like if there is a week or two delay in the PoS wallet. It might not be so bad, right? What am I missing?

I am talking strictly short term here too and I don't want to interrupt the conversation about vision and longer term strategies because that is where the good stuff is. I just wanted to throw it out there and see how my thinking is off. PM if you don't want to discuss here openly.  Smiley

EDIT: I just realized that relationship would alter as ASIC scrypt miners get cheaper, so there's that.
EDIT2: Fixed my GHs boob, I meant difficulty.  Roll Eyes 20 diff is about 1500 MHs Network hash rate. Sorry for the boob!

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
dbstmddhks

Activity: 523

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:08:44 PM

Since the Foundation was formed, and regular meetings began taking place, I have been expecting more activity/concrete around both solarcoin streams: technology and promotion.

Firstly, let me state that without value the technology is useless…serves no purpose. So, there should be (at least) equal focus on connecting solarcoins to real/tangible value, as there is on the technology itself; if not more.

The universities love real life issues. I'm sure someone in the US could throw out some feelers to some big Environmental Engineering schools to solution the technology problem?  Equally, connecting the good will of the 10's of millions of people that believe in renewable energy and a green planet, to solarcoins as a way to purchase and promote the cause, could be a quest to throw at universities to research. It should, at the very least, be a key item in the Foundation plan, connecting volunteers looking into all the possibilities.

We need a consistent plan/view. If the plan is continually updated, and prioritizes initiatives and volunteer activities, it can grow as volunteers/schools/private industry/etc. come onboard. It can also track/document the efforts and successes.  But, there needs to be a steady focus on the plan, otherwise the entire initiative goes stagnant. It, like the whole effort, can be a living, breathing entity; subject to change where the cause steers it. Ideally, there would be web site updates on the plan and progress weekly, not every 4+ months!  It's not valid anymore to say that cryptography is new and immature…and imagine. It will go where the effort takes it. It needs progress. It needs steady focus.

I'm in Canada and I just took a free online course at Stanford U in Cryptography…it's a real and growing industry, with many tentacles. 

If the foundation was offically non-profit, it may also be an easier road for schools to leverage their research and efforts?

I agree.

There is no future plan, next step.
Just 'pos' :p

And even the version is not from nova.. Black..
Using time step to generate block..??

No technology of cryto.
No eccomomy model.

Then, what is the value of solar coin??
This coin needs something more clear

Even where is the main notification board??

Bitcointalk?? Twitter ?? facebook ?? Solarcoin.org ??

I think this coin has great potential with clear operation
But it comes like a just other coins.
No clear operation of update, plan, devs

Disappoint

freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:11:46 PM

[snip]

there needs to be a steady focus on the plan, otherwise the entire initiative goes stagnant. It, like the whole effort, can be a living, breathing entity; subject to change where the cause steers it. Ideally, there would be web site updates on the plan and progress weekly, not every 4+ months!  It's not valid anymore to say that cryptography is new and immature…and imagine. It will go where the effort takes it. It needs progress. It needs steady focus.

There are some significant disagreements within the SolarCoin team about what the plan should be and the overall philosophy of this project. Also, we're a small team and we're working very hard, spending many hours behind the scenes to get things done. We've been focusing on doing the things we can all agree on. The other things, we've put them aside for a while.

Probably the SolarCoin team needs some new blood. More volunteers doing work. More opinions and ideas to be shared by new people.

After the switch to Proof of Stake, the SolarCoin project will enter a new phase of development. The way it develops will depend on who steps up to the plate and volunteers to do things, and who pushes for their ideas to be implemented.

I've pushed for 4 things while I've been part of the SolarCoin team:
  • Proof of Stake
  • nonprofit incorporation
  • SLR bounties for volunteers, to incentivize work and accountability
  • a plan to encourage business adoption, such as a SLR coupon program

So far, I am 1 for 4. On the other 3 things, maybe other people will have to become involved and push for them.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:16:01 PM

We're using BlackCoin code and that's one of the best PoS systems out there. We chose it carefully because of its superior features.

Well, I've been posting updates here on Bitcointalk and also on Twitter, on a regular basis to keep the community informed. There are also updates posted on the website. Facebook too, I suppose, though I haven't been active over there lately and I think others on the team are the ones who post there.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:25:19 PM

[snip]

there needs to be a steady focus on the plan, otherwise the entire initiative goes stagnant. It, like the whole effort, can be a living, breathing entity; subject to change where the cause steers it. Ideally, there would be web site updates on the plan and progress weekly, not every 4+ months!  It's not valid anymore to say that cryptography is new and immature…and imagine. It will go where the effort takes it. It needs progress. It needs steady focus.

There are some significant disagreements within the SolarCoin team about what the plan should be and the overall philosophy of this project. Also, we're a small team and we're working very hard, spending many hours behind the scenes to get things done. We've been focusing on doing the things we can all agree on. The other things, we've put them aside for a while.

Probably the SolarCoin team needs some new blood. More volunteers doing work. More opinions and ideas to be shared by new people.

After the switch to Proof of Stake, the SolarCoin project will enter a new phase of development. The way it develops will depend on who steps up to the plate and volunteers to do things, and who pushes for their ideas to be implemented.

I've pushed for 4 things while I've been part of the SolarCoin team:
  • Proof of Stake
  • nonprofit incorporation
  • SLR bounties for volunteers, to incentivize work and accountability
  • a plan to encourage business adoption, such as a SLR coupon program

So far, I am 1 for 4. On the other 3 things, maybe other people will have to become involved and push for them.

I think everything's been done right so far. The coin never claims anything more than what it can deliver and when it does deliver its done properly. This alone has kept the fud wolves at bay and set Solarcoin up for future success. Those other 3 points you mentioned I agree with wholeheartedly. But of course things have to be done in succession in order to ensure a smooth transition to the next achievement. Look at it this way, Solarcoin has come a long way already, it has massive appeal in the green community and that's worldwide. New technology is in development outside of the foundations core team which is also encouraging. Someone mentioned releasing some SLR for development which is a great idea, but that can only occur after incorporation.

In short, if anything plan a short term to do list and publish it in the next minutes meeting. Two things have already occurred to stabilize Solarcoin, block reduction and switch to PoS which if I'm not mistaken is completed. Let that gel for a while and watch the system stabilize then go on to incorporation which I believe is still the cornerstone to making this whole thing work. The floodgates will swing wide open with people all over the place coming out of the woodwork once they can run with the Solarcoin foundation in a legally binding manner.

natmccoy
Legendary

Activity: 868

twitter.com/natmcmolecule

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:09:42 AM

This is a fabulous specimen of a bitcointalk forum, nice and tidy with great technical discussion. You might be the most respectable group of cryptocoin supporters. Bought some at 400, just bought more at 1080 and about to put more buy orders in.

Just keep fighting for this coin, you guys can make your plans happen! Make manifest  Smiley

LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:26:12 AM

We're using BlackCoin code and that's one of the best PoS systems out there. We chose it carefully because of its superior features.

Well, I've been posting updates here on Bitcointalk and also on Twitter, on a regular basis to keep the community informed. There are also updates posted on the website. Facebook too, I suppose, though I haven't been active over there lately and I think others on the team are the ones who post there.

Your support is admirable. Keep spreading the word…it's a difficult journey, but every word of support helps :-)

Someday we'll/you'll look back and say I feel good about fighting the good fight :-)

Epiphany

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:13:24 AM

This is a fabulous specimen of a bitcointalk forum, nice and tidy with great technical discussion. You might be the most respectable group of cryptocoin supporters. Bought some at 400, just bought more at 1080 and about to put more buy orders in.

Just keep fighting for this coin, you guys can make your plans happen! Make manifest  Smiley

Thank you for connecting with us and helping to manifest a great idea for humanity! It's exciting to play a part in the transformation.  Kiss

Epiphany

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:16:13 AM

Down to 18 per block. Roll Eyes The percentage reduction is about to hit the inflection point. Things could get really fun to watch for the next couple of weeks!

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:50:12 PM

Once again thank you everyone for all the hard work behind the scenes.
sylph93

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:29:11 PM

How about setting threshold value for PoS staking?

For example, the wallet with minimum 1K SLR will be allowed staking.

This will encourage people to keep their coin at least 1K to stake.

Having less than 1K, people have to buy more to stake.

What do you think about this?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▄█▀▀▀▀▀█▄      ▄███▀▀   ▀██
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
█▄       █      ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
 ███▄▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄███▀ ▀▀██████████
  ██ ██▄ ▀▀▄███▄    ▄▄▄██  ██
   ██ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▀▀▀  ██
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
mazzaneo

Activity: 300

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:39:13 PM

I think it's a good idea but with so many people holding coins I'm generally worried about the liquidity. I don't think many people here will be selling their solarcoin cheap.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Your Digital Network | 10MB Blocks
Algo: XEVAN | DK3 | Masternodes
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
CoinPayments | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:58:48 PM

I like the idea but make it 10,000
sylph93

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:00:44 PM

I think it's a good idea but with so many people holding coins I'm generally worried about the liquidity. I don't think many people here will be selling their solarcoin cheap.

To become more popular coin, we have to think about new comers not just among us.

If someone is quite new to SLR, who wants to stake, then have to purchase at least 1K (It's depends on)

In addition, people have to keep their coin at least 1K to maintain staking.

To become 1$ currency, we have to control liquidity as well.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
passionsurf

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:23:19 PM

10k minimum seems more realistic with the current prices; however, if we assume the price is going to over $1, then 1k is more realistic. Maybe the minimum stake can start high with the expectation that it will be lowered sometime in the future?
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:26:51 PM

10k minimum seems more realistic with the current prices; however, if we assume the price is going to over $1, then 1k is more realistic. Maybe the minimum stake can start high with the expectation that it will be lowered sometime in the future?

+1
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 05:15:08 PM

+1

Yes, exactly. That's the beauty of cryptocurrency for me. If we see down the road when things normalize that it's time for such a change be made to the algorithm, we can all choose to agree on what that change may be and the blockchain technology takes care of the implementation in a fair and impartial way for us. It's an ever evolving thing that grows based on participation. It's this concept that got me really excited about bitcoin in the first place! Cheesy

When we first were trying to figure out PoS, I posted that spreadsheet, if anyone remembers. In my mind, I thought we needed to plan the PoS algorithm for years in the future, with decreasing interest rates and all kinds of complicated capping formulas. But then I realized I was making it TOO complicated. Start with the basics, see how that pans out and then tweak as needed after that. Allow other points of view into the conversation, every voice contributes. We're doing it right now! It really is a natural process we are all taking part in. The important thing is to take the first step within the means available to us. That meant choosing the Blackcoin model straight up as a way to start down the path. I have every confidence that the interest calculation will evolve over time based on circumstances on the ground, just as the discussion here is starting to happen.

Obviously we don't want to be having a new wallet every month, but if the framework is broad enough then having a new wallet once or twice a year is not out of the question nor should it be frowned upon. That's the nature of this game, isn't it?

corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:05:43 PM

Alright network hash rate has dropped quite a bit near the end here and I tossed the rest of my huge 5 MH/s farm on it, haha. I know it's not a lot but I encourage the rest of you to do the same, just keep a little on the coin until the end of PoW.

sylph93

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:09:40 PM

+1

Yes, exactly. That's the beauty of cryptocurrency for me. If we see down the road when things normalize that it's time for such a change be made to the algorithm, we can all choose to agree on what that change may be and the blockchain technology takes care of the implementation in a fair and impartial way for us. It's an ever evolving thing that grows based on participation. It's this concept that got me really excited about bitcoin in the first place! Cheesy

When we first were trying to figure out PoS, I posted that spreadsheet, if anyone remembers. In my mind, I thought we needed to plan the PoS algorithm for years in the future, with decreasing interest rates and all kinds of complicated capping formulas. But then I realized I was making it TOO complicated. Start with the basics, see how that pans out and then tweak as needed after that. Allow other points of view into the conversation, every voice contributes. We're doing it right now! It really is a natural process we are all taking part in. The important thing is to take the first step within the means available to us. That meant choosing the Blackcoin model straight up as a way to start down the path. I have every confidence that the interest calculation will evolve over time based on circumstances on the ground, just as the discussion here is starting to happen.

Obviously we don't want to be having a new wallet every month, but if the framework is broad enough then having a new wallet once or twice a year is not out of the question nor should it be frowned upon. That's the nature of this game, isn't it?

+1

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: