Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:20:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I asked Restoration Hardware if they would accept Bitcoin...  (Read 2685 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:53:48 PM

We shouldn't stop here.  Let's find other important retailers who need an introduction to bitcoin and send them some encouragement. 

I wonder, is there anyone of you out there who would like to organize this?  This thread sure was effective.  I hope we can make more thread just like this.  Anyone?

Good job on the OP.  Maybe he can find another great retailer and link to its comments page to encourage others to send a request.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks man.   I responded back to her and brought up coinbase and bitpay as payment processors, so I will let everyone know if they get back to me.

I think it would be a good idea for anyone here to be emailing companies that they  frequently shop at, and request that they accept BTC.   This will hopefully get some retailers in other industries to accept BTC.  A lot of the companies that accept BTC now are tech companies, but if we can get a more diverse crowd of retailers to accept BTC, it will definitely help for massive adoption...
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:56:03 PM

Thank you for contacting Restoration Hardware. I am delighted to know that you enjoy our pieces, and that you wish for us to receive Bitcoin as payment.

At this time, please be advised that we offer a variety of payment options, and I would be happy to submit your request for us to pursue Bitcoin.

Please know that I have noted your comments and forwarded them on to the appropriate department.

We always strive to offer our customers the best products and services possible. Your comments will help us to better achieve this goal in the future.

Please let us know if you need further assistance via email at webcs@restorationhardware.com or by calling 877-777-7059.

Again, thank you for contacting Restoration Hardware.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Goldsmith
Email Customer Advocate
Restoration Hardware

It would be cool if they actually looked into adding BTC as a payment option, as to my knowledge, there aren't any higher end furniture stores accepting BTC.    Anyone else shop there?   Maybe if additional people asked...it would help steer them in the direction of BTC acceptance?

simply emailing webcs@... is good, but also i would advise you to find the CFO and the CEO of the company and email them direct. as no one can be certain that a minimum waged customer adviser is actually going to pass on messages.

word it tht you are a loyal customer and find it a pain having to convert your investments ack into dollars, to the pay using a credit card and then pay off your credit card bill. that you would rather pay direct from with bitcoins, and that the company will get atleast $xxxx worth of sales per year because you have plans to buy products x, y, and z in the future
Yup they pretty much have no choice but to say they will look into it.

The all it takes is one senior member who thinks Bitcoin is a scam to say no
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 05:03:25 PM

Looks like very nice stuff, but also bloody expensive!! I recently bought a lovely second-hand leather 3 seater sofa for £10 (someone was redecorating and needed it gone). It's very comfortable, I don't know if a similar sized sofa from these guys would be worth 500+ times more money haha...

Good luck in getting them to accept BTC though, seems like it would be a perfect customer base, I know if I had a few hundred thousand pounds worth of BTC I would be straight in there with an order for some Italian Destroyed Leather sofas, damn that leather looks dope...
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:42:41 PM

Here is another idea I just thought of (but it is kind of far fetched at this point in time).   We could actually start emailing Comenity Bank.

The reason I bring up Comenity Bank is because they handle the financing for credit cards for many of the major retailers (Victoria's Secret, Restoration Hardware, Zgallerie, Pottery Barn, etc).

If we could get them to be one of the first banks to support BTC, that would open up just as many doors as Coinbase has with their merchant agreements. 
master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 09:28:00 PM

Based on my experience, it never hurts to ask. If a merchant you shop from does not offer Bitcoin as a payment method, I always write a short letter/e-mail to them requesting them to add BTC as a payment option and give a brief introduction of what it is and how it can benefit them as a merchant. If everyone does this, merchants will feel the pressure to add BTC for their customers as well as to compete with other merchants who are also beginning to adopt BTC as a payment method. Eventually, every merchant or online retailer will be accepting BTC as a payment option, just one small step towards the Bitcoin revolution Smiley

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:40:00 PM

a lovely second-hand leather 3 seater sofa for £10
Yeah, 'Restoration Hardware' is probably not for you.  However, I guess technically speaking you'd meet the strict definition of 'restoration' if you are taking 10 quid junk off your friends and reusing it.  Restoration Hardware has a different gig going on though.  
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:31:58 AM

I have been furnishing a new house over the past few months.  Man, the costs add up quicker than you would believe.   I have been picking up sofas and coffee tables (as well as some chairs) from Restoration Hardware (because I think they have some of the best stuff).

www.restorationhardware.com

Since all their stuff is so pricey  (5-10k for a sofa), I decided to ask them if they would accept BTC.   They got back to me today with the below response:

Thank you for contacting Restoration Hardware. I am delighted to know that you enjoy our pieces, and that you wish for us to receive Bitcoin as payment.

At this time, please be advised that we offer a variety of payment options, and I would be happy to submit your request for us to pursue Bitcoin.

Please know that I have noted your comments and forwarded them on to the appropriate department.

We always strive to offer our customers the best products and services possible. Your comments will help us to better achieve this goal in the future.

Please let us know if you need further assistance via email at webcs@restorationhardware.com or by calling 877-777-7059.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Goldsmith
Email Customer Advocate
Restoration Hardware

It would be cool if they actually looked into adding BTC as a payment option, as to my knowledge, there aren't any higher end furniture stores accepting BTC.    Anyone else shop there?   Maybe if additional people asked...it would help steer them in the direction of BTC acceptance?
I would suggest that bitcoin payment processors like coinbase setup a "suggestion box" for websites/stores that people would like to see accept bitcoin. That way coinbase could draw up a sales presentation and proposal for that company
gogxmagog
Legendary

Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:12:42 AM

I made a joke at the place I buy silver about bitcoin when he refused to take my mastercard due to the fact that they lose their spot fee due to the charges from the cc company. Much to my surprize, the gentleman informed me they DO take bitcoin, there was one guy in the back room who took care of those transactions. I asked him why they didnt advertize, at least mention it on bitcointalk, twitter or what have you, but he didnt want to talk about it, it was all the department of this "guy in the back"

I guess they dont want the business? It is pretty much guaranteed that if people know you accept btc, btc will come... I'm just puzzled as to why they dont advertize it at all, they are an antiques store that deals in coins and bullion, but mostly nice antiques, great glass stuff. I am going to go in and spend some btc on a xmas gift for my wife or maybe some silver for my stack, then I can ask the "guy in the back room"

Sort of the opposite problem to OP but odd just the same. BTC is at a weird place in its adoption. There is a lingering aire of uncertainty about it all still. There's really nothing to compare it to in history, which depending on your view, is either the greatest thing ever or a total nightmare of insecurity and doubt. this will change.

Strange, they do the 'hard work' of getting a BTC system in place then dont bother promoting it! Why dont you email the info to the websites that have listings of stores that accept it? like http://coinmap.org/
Also the blockchain app has an option to list the nearby places.

I feel it is only fair to speak to the guy in charge first. I do not know his reasoning behind the non-advertising policy but it is his decision.

If his only reason is he is too busy or doesn't have time I will offer to spear his info to the various outlets. So far the only other places in my town that accept btc are a breakfast joint, a natural body lotion/soap manufacturer and a weird store that sells used VHS tapes, books, and action figures. The gold/silver/antiques guy is the only btc friendly store in town I really want anything from.
gjgjg

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:09:19 AM

I made a joke at the place I buy silver about bitcoin when he refused to take my mastercard due to the fact that they lose their spot fee due to the charges from the cc company. Much to my surprize, the gentleman informed me they DO take bitcoin, there was one guy in the back ...

Strange, they do the 'hard work' of getting a BTC system in place then dont bother promoting it! Why dont you email the info to the websites that have listings of stores that accept it? like http://coinmap.org/
Also the blockchain app has an option to list the nearby places.

I feel it is only fair to speak to the guy in charge first. I do not know his reasoning behind the non-advertising policy but it is his decision.

If his only reason is he is too busy or doesn't have time I will offer to spear his info to the various outlets. So far the only other places in my town that accept btc are a breakfast joint, a natural body lotion/soap manufacturer and a weird store that sells used VHS tapes, books, and action figures. The gold/silver/antiques guy is the only btc friendly store in town I really want anything from.

Fair enough, maybe his bank threatened him!
Nice that you have local options for BTC, it's more interesting than whats on offer in my town!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
DDuckworth

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 07:22:51 AM

I have been furnishing a new house over the past few months.  Man, the costs add up quicker than you would believe.   I have been picking up sofas and coffee tables (as well as some chairs) from Restoration Hardware (because I think they have some of the best stuff).

www.restorationhardware.com

Since all their stuff is so pricey  (5-10k for a sofa), I decided to ask them if they would accept BTC.   They got back to me today with the below response:

Sincerely,

Stephanie Goldsmith
Email Customer Advocate
Restoration Hardware

Check out the thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=699803.0

I'm awarding prizes there and we need some bumps to get more attention, personally I think the thread needs a new title, but that's for a later discussion.  Great job on getting their attention, I'm surprised it wasn't just a blatent "no" as a response!

BabesForBitcoin.com - Custom pics & vids from real girls for cash or bitcoin!
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211

I Believe

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:12:43 AM

I made a joke at the place I buy silver about bitcoin when he refused to take my mastercard due to the fact that they lose their spot fee due to the charges from the cc company. Much to my surprize, the gentleman informed me they DO take bitcoin, there was one guy in the back room who took care of those transactions. I asked him why they didnt advertize, at least mention it on bitcointalk, twitter or what have you, but he didnt want to talk about it, it was all the department of this "guy in the back"

I guess they dont want the business? It is pretty much guaranteed that if people know you accept btc, btc will come... I'm just puzzled as to why they dont advertize it at all, they are an antiques store that deals in coins and bullion, but mostly nice antiques, great glass stuff. I am going to go in and spend some btc on a xmas gift for my wife or maybe some silver for my stack, then I can ask the "guy in the back room"

Sort of the opposite problem to OP but odd just the same. BTC is at a weird place in its adoption. There is a lingering aire of uncertainty about it all still. There's really nothing to compare it to in history, which depending on your view, is either the greatest thing ever or a total nightmare of insecurity and doubt. this will change.

Probably doesn't know how it would affect him regarding the IRS and taxation. He would have to charge the item fee, plus tax and pay the tax to the govnt... Im not sure how that would work either. Its probably just an "under the table" transaction so they don't want to advertise.
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211

I Believe

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:15:22 AM

I always thought that if i had a small business, i would accept BTC and advertise that fact. Then everyone with BTC would go there just because they take BTC and its fun and easy to use. Like your local mechanic or hair dresser etc. I don't know of ANY stores in my city that accept BTC. Ive asked a few times and i always get a blank look like they have no clue what Im talking about.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:25:13 PM

I always thought that if i had a small business, i would accept BTC and advertise that fact. Then everyone with BTC would go there just because they take BTC and its fun and easy to use. Like your local mechanic or hair dresser etc. I don't know of ANY stores in my city that accept BTC. Ive asked a few times and i always get a blank look like they have no clue what Im talking about.

I think it is because many "mom and pop" type brick and mortar retailers are really hip to what is going on in the tech scene. There really isnt a reason to not accept BTC at this point. It is free additional marketing and sales
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:45:32 PM

RH got back to me with this...

Dear Tim,
Thank you for contacting Restoration Hardware regarding your feedback in our payment systems.

Your feedback regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you have taken the time to provide us with your thoughts regarding this system. Your comments will help us to better achieve this goal in the future. We are always looking into new and exciting ventures.

Should you have any other comments or concerns, please feel free to let us know. Restoration Hardware Customer Care can be reached by email at webcs@restorationhardware.com or by phone at 877-777-7059.

Sincerely,

Nicole Menezes
Customer Care Advocate
Restoration Hardware

A little disappointed - it seems pretty empty.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

RH got back to me with this...

Dear Tim,
Thank you for contacting Restoration Hardware regarding your feedback in our payment systems.

Your feedback regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you have taken the time to provide us with your thoughts regarding this system. Your comments will help us to better achieve this goal in the future. We are always looking into new and exciting ventures.

Should you have any other comments or concerns, please feel free to let us know. Restoration Hardware Customer Care can be reached by email at webcs@restorationhardware.com or by phone at 877-777-7059.

Sincerely,

Nicole Menezes
Customer Care Advocate
Restoration Hardware

A little disappointed - it seems pretty empty.

Yeah Sad...seems like they have some default verbiage that they respond with when fielding questions like the one we are asking.   Hopefully if enough people email, then it will be presented to upper management, or at least someone with some power in the company.    I think if they get the same question from a bunch of us (about BTC), they will have to at least seriously consider it.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:02:29 AM

Has anyone else that emailed gotten any sort of response?  I am hoping that we can make our questions at least reach someone that makes financial decisions for the company.   I just spent another $2500 on a chandelier for my home there, so I would be super stoked if they accepted BTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: