Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:24:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: P2Pool and BFL hardware  (Read 3928 times)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 05:26:39 AM

Proper thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78386

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:34:15 AM

what a scammer bulnula https://i.imgur.com/PgIVe.gif
Well - completely off topic - but since it seems to have come up all over the forum ...
If all the ranting that's been going on in the forum about it is correct, he's not a scammer.

I don't know who came up with that tag for him, but they really need to go read a dictionary.

Of course I agree that he should return the BTC, but sorry, English is just that, English.
And not returning money someone gave you buy THEIR own fault is not a scam.
He may be a liar if he said he would return it, but changed his mind.
His actions may be reprehensible to most people, yes, but a scam? No.

The element that would classify it as a scam would be to not put the advertising he said he would in his sig.
However, that's the forum mods who have turned it into a scam, not him.

I will add, anyone who says otherwise, please point out where I'm wrong or have misunderstood the situation.

There is a very small line between scamming and what he does. I do believe given an opportunity, he will just be one easily.

To me, they're all the same shiet, different pile.

Such shameless POS should rot in hell.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:10:55 PM

stuff
Please rant in the correct thread, not this one. Also, no matter how much you hate someone, STOP FOLLOWING THEM AROUND THE FORUM, because all that does is fuck up everyone else's threads. Thank you.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:24:12 PM

stuff
Please rant in the correct thread, not this one. Also, no matter how much you hate someone, STOP FOLLOWING THEM AROUND THE FORUM, because all that does is fuck up everyone else's threads. Thank you.

Who said i'm following him around? I replied to Kano who seems to disagree with scammer tag.

Thats a rant?

Thanks for stating the obvious, which is off topic. Sure as hell Kano knows this. The fact that you quote my post as a rant is laughable. Feel so good huh?

jothan (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 11:34:40 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2012, 11:52:08 PM by jothan

Polling over sychronous was chosen for several reasons:

1) Unit can respond to other commands while it's processing other data/tasks
    (e.g. Temperature-reading, new job request while the previous one hasn't finished, etc)

2) Polling is very easy to implement in opensource softwares. Synchronouse design
    will face all kinds of different challenges during development/debug cycle.

3) And most important of them all, designing multi-thread applications that can
    communicate with BFL units operating in an asychronous environment is a lot easier
    than designing the same system in a synchronous environment.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Good Luck,
BF Labs Inc.

Could you then add a "wait for end of work" command (with an optional timeout) that could be used alternatively to asking "are we there yet" repeatedly ?

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2012, 09:17:55 AM

Polling over sychronous was chosen for several reasons:

1) Unit can respond to other commands while it's processing other data/tasks
    (e.g. Temperature-reading, new job request while the previous one hasn't finished, etc)

2) Polling is very easy to implement in opensource softwares. Synchronouse design
    will face all kinds of different challenges during development/debug cycle.

3) And most important of them all, designing multi-thread applications that can
    communicate with BFL units operating in an asychronous environment is a lot easier
    than designing the same system in a synchronous environment.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Good Luck,
BF Labs Inc.

Could you then add a "wait for end of work" command (with an optional timeout) that could be used alternatively to asking "are we there yet" repeatedly ?

It is possible, but what will be the gain? The latency of a kernel-wait object (or read) can be several milliseconds.
It won't be much different from the polling. However, I'm interested to know how it can help. Please give me a few
examples.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 11:08:25 AM

Will it be possible to upgrade BFL units that are already out in the "field" or do they need to be sent back to BFL for reprogramming?

I wonder if BFL will ever answer this question?  Will using P2Pool with BFL always be a problem?
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 01:51:18 PM

Will it be possible to upgrade BFL units that are already out in the "field" or do they need to be sent back to BFL for reprogramming?

I wonder if BFL will ever answer this question?  Will using P2Pool with BFL always be a problem?

Most likely not.  With that easyminer software of theirs the field units can be flashed with these p2pool fixes and you should be good to go. Just waiting for both to be released.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:14:56 AM

Most likely not.  With that easyminer software of theirs the field units can be flashed with these p2pool fixes and you should be good to go. Just waiting for both to be released.
Good to go ...
Yes well I wonder how good to go they will be.
Cgminer certainly wont be using the new firmware coz as far as I know they either haven't contacted any of us
or Luke-jr has the details and he's hiding them Tongue

But most likely there's no new firmware to be found for QUITE a while.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 09:46:54 AM

That easyminer thing screams of the kind of software lock in proprietary crap that is absolutely nothing like bitcoin, and doesn't even allow you to mine anywhere but one pool even. It's really disappointing and I hope people use something else more open... anything, it doesn't even need to be cgminer. I'd much rather whatever benefits were there in the software could be distributed out to other mining software, or they would work with the existing software developers instead of that ancient corporate proprietary model which has been proven time and again to be based on FUD and long-term ends up being a burden rather than a boon.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 01:25:31 PM

At this point I cannot see anyone using this software for anything other than firmware upgrades or that test feature.  Their software would really have to 'change the wheel' so to speak for there to be mass uptake from miners who already are using software they are comfortable with a la cgminer or whatever.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
jothan (OP)

Activity: 184

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 12:08:53 AM

That easyminer thing screams of the kind of software lock in proprietary crap that is absolutely nothing like bitcoin, and doesn't even allow you to mine anywhere but one pool even. It's really disappointing and I hope people use something else more open... anything, it doesn't even need to be cgminer. I'd much rather whatever benefits were there in the software could be distributed out to other mining software, or they would work with the existing software developers instead of that ancient corporate proprietary model which has been proven time and again to be based on FUD and long-term ends up being a burden rather than a boon.

Completely agree with you there.

If I was BFL, what I would do:

• Make the mining interface low-latency.
  • Document the mining interface in full.
  • Document the firmware upgrade procedure.
  • Create and release a simple CLI firmware upgrade tool under the GPL.
  • Help the mining software authors add and improve BFL device support.
  • Drop any single-platform/proprietary software for BFL devices.
  • Concentrate on making the hardware and firmware as good as it can be.

As you may have noticed, this takes almost any software development out of the hands of BFL and can actually save them a lot of time and fiddling around.

I don't have a physical windows machine to do firmware bullshit anymore (been that way for years) and requiring windows for a device that can otherwise run exclusively with Free Software is quite silly.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 12:31:32 AM

Mostly I think we all agree with the points made above.  

EasyMiner is NOT meant to be a replacement for the professional miner.  It's primary function is product support via firmware update & diagnostics and therefore can't really be open source if we want to maintain proprietary company IP required to stay in business.  

The secondary function is as an ultra simple 'one click' miner for the novice so they don't have to deal with command lines, pool accounts & cryptic settings.  

By all means, please continue your respective miner software projects and we'll actively support you.  While I've got the mic, let me also thank you for the support you've collectively given us already.  It's really appreciated.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 12:37:15 AM

So ... can we get that document listing the commands.
They have existed for at LEAST 3 months now.
The only info available (that I know of at least) are the commands: ZGX, ZDX, ZLX and ZFX
(as I mentioned in the other thread)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BFL

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 12:39:20 AM

So ... can we get that document listing the commands.
They have existed for at LEAST 3 months now.
The only info available (that I know of at least) are the commands: ZGX, ZDX, ZLX and ZFX
(as I mentioned in the other thread)

Kano, the protocol document has been posted to the CGminer dev thread.  It's been updated a bit since then...  blink and temp.  If you write office @ butterflylabs and request, they'll send you an updated copy.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 12:44:00 AM

OK, so that indirectly answers my question.
Nothing new that cgminer doesn't already handle.
Thus the throttling identification done in EasyMiner is based on a slow reply
(not some command to identify the internal clock or a 'throttling' state)
And changing the throttling temperature isn't possible.
Pity.

But, I'll email also, just in case there is more ...

BFL

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 12:45:44 AM

OK, so that indirectly answers my question.
Nothing new that cgminer doesn't already handle.
Thus the throttling identification done in EasyMiner is based on a slow reply
(not some command to identify the internal clock or a 'throttling' state)
And changing the throttling temperature isn't possible.
Pity.

But, I'll email also, just in case there is more ...

I believe those assumptions are correct.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: