Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:34:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need to retire already  (Read 5192 times)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:22:32 PM

I don't know where do you live but I don't think 1.2m$ is enough for retirement in anywhere. I would wait for at least 10 millions.

it's more than enough, if you don't spend money in useless things...

It's more than enough depending where you are, but it probably won't afford the best retirement if you want to live in a metro area in an industrialized country.
I live in Denmark. One of the most expensive countries in the world. Several times more expensive than the states, to get that out of the way. A million buckos would be plenty for me for the rest of my life. Some people just don't handle money well s'all.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
frienemy

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

I was promised da moon

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:23:14 PM

I don't know where do you live but I don't think 1.2m$ is enough for retirement in anywhere. I would wait for at least 10 millions.

It's more than enough depending where you are, but it probably won't afford the best retirement if you want to live in a metro area in an industrialized country.

Some people don't need yachts or jacuzzies. I could very well retire with a million bucks cause I think too much luxury would be bad for me. It's strange that most of us are trained to believe that the best way of living a life is to exhaust this world's and society's ressources to the max!

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 11:17:43 PM

It's strange that most of us are trained to believe that the best way of living a life is to exhaust this world's and society's ressources to the max!
+1

Tony Abbot

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:37:49 AM

I've got 30 grand in BTC and 50 grand in a shitty savings account, no job and no house.  I'm dreading returning to the workforce but it's gotta be done.
I'm not quite 40 and even after 6 months of having a break from working, I'm still not bored... I never get board because he who is awake is constantly amazed.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 06:14:36 AM

OK guys and gals, I've 80 bitcoins (did have 410, but sold most to buy a house last September. Bad timing or what!)
Anyhoo, I'm sick of work and figure if bitcoins get to $15,000 I can retire.
When do you reckon that will happen?

Nobody can retire the coming decade(s), millionaires will soon see all their 'wealth' vanish into thin air just like how it was created. Bitcoin could go to $15,000 who knows but dollars won't make you able to retire anymore. Neither will gold, silver or Bitcoin. Actual skills, strong communities and knowledge will become the new highly valued assets, because they will be sorely needed for our future. People who have none of those will become the new poor class.

Incoming WWIII?

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 06:50:14 AM

if you have already the house you don't need all those money to retire seriously, i'm talking about the money needed to live a simple life, sustain taxes and food, not buying yatch big house with 30 pools, hookers and other crap

it doesn't matter where do you live, it matter more how you spend your money
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:04:11 AM

if you have already the house you don't need all those money to retire seriously, i'm talking about the money needed to live a simple life, sustain taxes and food, not buying yatch big house with 30 pools, hookers and other crap

Actually, it really does matter where you live. Compare the average cost of living of New York City or San Francisco, with that of Bucharest. This is why some people save up to retire to cheaper places......

Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:07:47 AM

15K is easily achievable in our lifetime.But do you have faith in it though to see it through 15k?

Yes I do have faith in bitcoin and do certainly believe it will hit 15k but when is the issue. I'm sick of my job now. I've no choice but to carry on working so like everybody else I'll grin and bear it. I could be a lot worse off.

If you didn't have the bitcoin would you continue on with a job you dislike forever? Hopefully not. Don't wait around for bitcoin to free you from your current situation - it may never happen. Start looking for a new job now.

Wise words!

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:18:17 AM

I've got 30 grand in BTC and 50 grand in a shitty savings account, no job and no house.  I'm dreading returning to the workforce but it's gotta be done.
I'm not quite 40 and even after 6 months of having a break from working, I'm still not bored... I never get board because he who is awake is constantly amazed.
I know how you feel. I wouldn't quite say dread but I've taken 9 months off from selling a few coins in November, and it's been a fine time indeed. However, reality is also calling me back to some pointless fiat money generating activity.

oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:46:32 AM

Really wouldn't even consider retiring even if you have a lot right now. Nobody knows how anything will turn out at the moment and it's just a waiting game to see if it will rise or drop again. It's always good to have some kind of income rather than relying on the bitcoins you have to live off after retirement.
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:19:03 AM

do you guys think 1million usd is enough money to retire in thailand?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:22:13 AM

do you guys think 1million usd is enough money to retire in thailand?
Depends how many ladyboys you hire per month. Cheesy

swansong

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:35:51 AM

Good luck i think within 3 years you'll be retired.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:54:14 AM

These two threads are also cool regarding early retirement and where to stay:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168650
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=354227
Hunyadi
Legendary

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:49:35 AM

These two threads are also cool regarding early retirement and where to stay:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168650
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=354227

Nice, thanks!

arcanum

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:38:32 PM

Find something that best fit your interest and talent.

Often does not pay shit. Like I found my talent in knitting and enjoy it thoroughly, but to fully be myself I need to retire first Smiley

Become the best knitter in the world, and I promise you that you can make a good living by knitting. Of course it isn't just about doing something you love, you still have to put a lot of effort into it. If your work stinks, no on will pay for it no matter how much you loved making it.

Yeah sure buddy, you went from THE BEST KNITTER IN THE WORLD to "if your work stinks".

What if he is really good, but not THE BEST IN THE WORLD? Don't need to answer, i'll tell you: He will be a 9-5 drone.

Working is shit and im going insane, and i only have 1 BTC so the best I can do is cash out buy a glock and shot it in my temporal lobe. If you don't have luck or inherit (inherit) or have an insane talent for something (more luck) = you are fucked. Scam scam scam. Fuck this gay planet.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:30:21 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2015, 06:17:30 AM by Amph

Actually, it really does matter where you live. Compare the average cost of living of New York City or San Francisco, with that of Bucharest. This is why some people save up to retire to cheaper places......

one could argue that 100M aren't enough, because he want to buy a stealth fighter to travel around the world

i still thing that the important things is how you use your money
Hunyadi
Legendary

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

Find something that best fit your interest and talent.

Often does not pay shit. Like I found my talent in knitting and enjoy it thoroughly, but to fully be myself I need to retire first Smiley

Become the best knitter in the world, and I promise you that you can make a good living by knitting. Of course it isn't just about doing something you love, you still have to put a lot of effort into it. If your work stinks, no on will pay for it no matter how much you loved making it.

Yeah sure buddy, you went from THE BEST KNITTER IN THE WORLD to "if your work stinks".

What if he is really good, but not THE BEST IN THE WORLD? Don't need to answer, i'll tell you: He will be a 9-5 drone.

Working is shit and im going insane, and i only have 1 BTC so the best I can do is cash out buy a glock and shot it in my temporal lobe. If you don't have luck or inherit (inherit) or have an insane talent for something (more luck) = you are fucked. Scam scam scam. Fuck this gay planet.

That's the spirit. Man up.  Smiley

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:52:43 PM

OK guys and gals, I've 80 bitcoins (did have 410, but sold most to buy a house last September. Bad timing or what!)
Anyhoo, I'm sick of work and figure if bitcoins get to $15,000 I can retire.
When do you reckon that will happen?

Funny thing is we are all the OP, so the OP's moon is 15000. My moon is anything above 4000. Have faith man, Satoshi is still holding his coins.
ekissane (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 12:29:33 AM

IF you are sick of work, it means you are in the wrong line of work.

Really?! So you can't be sick of work as a concept.

Human need a purpose to survive beside food and shelter.

My purpose to survive is to have a good time.  PARTY!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: