Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:08:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which layout do you prefer?
First (vertical list) - 34 (51.5%)
Second (3 along grid of squares) - 32 (48.5%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New bitcoin.org Clients page  (Read 6042 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 07:33:53 PM

Both have their pros and cons. The vertical list allows bigger images and more text. Second one is more conducive to easy reading (less horizontal scanning and descriptions are shorter).

Thx for reading

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 07:38:21 PM

Are you certain this addition will be merged into the main branch?

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 07:45:50 PM

I think this is a great idea. There are so many good clients out there these days that there should be info on them at the official site. I voted on the vertical list btw, I like it better.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 07:48:40 PM

I think either layout is fine. But what I have a stronger opinion on is the terminology used on that page.

When a new Bitcoin-user arrives on that page (a non-techie), he will think the following:
1) "What the hell is a "graphical interface" and how does that relate to Bitcoin"
2) "Are all these softwares equivalent? Do they serve the same purpose? Do I need one or several of them?"
3) "Which one is the official client?"

To solve these questions, I propose the following:
1) Change the "Graphical Interface" title to "Bitcoin Client Software"
2+3) Create little blub under the heading, saying "Below you will find several leading Bitcoin clients. Any of them will work for all basic Bitcoin functionality. Bitcoin-Qt is the original software, and if you're unsure which one to use, you should default to Bitcoin-Qt."  <-- I'd also append this last sentence to the beginning of the Bitcoin-Qt description. The current sentence "Bitcoin Qt is the frontend for the original code written by Satoshi" will be confusing/meaningless to any non-techie  Wink

Great idea to get these clients on that page!!

fornit

Activity: 989
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 07:57:30 PM

i agree. the original client should be very prominent and clearly be recommended as the default solution.
also the other clients should be at least in an advanced beta state before they should be mentioned at all.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 08:49:59 PM

Let's not list other clients until we are assured they can (a) properly handle a block chain reorg and (b) properly handle BIP16 transactions, and do not have otherwise glaring usability or security issues that prevent mainstream endorsement and use.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
artisbigshirts

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

dwda

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:10:49 PM

I think either layout is fine. But what I have a stronger opinion on is the terminology used on that page.

When a new Bitcoin-user arrives on that page (a non-techie), he will think the following:
1) "What the hell is a "graphical interface" and how does that relate to Bitcoin"
2) "Are all these softwares equivalent? Do they serve the same purpose? Do I need one or several of them?"
3) "Which one is the official client?"

To solve these questions, I propose the following:
1) Change the "Graphical Interface" title to "Bitcoin Client Software"
2+3) Create little blub under the heading, saying "Below you will find several leading Bitcoin clients. Any of them will work for all basic Bitcoin functionality. Bitcoin-Qt is the original software, and if you're unsure which one to use, you should default to Bitcoin-Qt."  <-- I'd also append this last sentence to the beginning of the Bitcoin-Qt description. The current sentence "Bitcoin Qt is the frontend for the original code written by Satoshi" will be confusing/meaningless to any non-techie  Wink

Great idea to get these clients on that page!!

I think with the direction that consumer technology is going having multiple clients on the official .org domain may be a bad move.
A majority of the users that we want to adopt using bitcoin will be accustomed to the streamlined, simple, push-one-button-and-it-works interfaces of things like Apple's iPhone, instagram, twitter, etc.
These types of users may feel overwhelmed with the choice of multiple clients(Even with a recommendation)

It might be good to just attach some sort of Advanced/Intermediate(Could use different terminology, actually) link to the download of the official client that brings you to alt-client listing page such as this.

//Kevin Risinger;
//Graphic Design;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30623.0

//Donation Address;
1GgFzhP2ef
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:25:36 PM

FWIW, here is a picture of my original suggestion, that should IMO still be open for voting on:

The single-developer-team-and-client centralization is the biggest flaw with the "decentralized" Bitcoin network right now, and making bitcoin.org client-neutral is essential to overcoming it. By providing an objective comparison table (rather than mere descriptions), users can see at a glance which client is most secure, faster to setup, etc, and make their own informed decision. Note that there is still a "default" client (Bitcoin-Qt) linked from the front page; this is a secondary "Clients" page users can find by clicking "(See all Bitcoin clients)".

Maybe some day in the future, we can have nice strict regulation on minimum security procedures for clients to be listed, but for now, not even Bitcoin-Qt consistently follows these recommended procedures. It is hypocritical to demand more from others.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:47:37 PM

FWIW, here is a picture of my original suggestion, that should IMO still be open for voting on:

I like this the best. It's similar to Wikipedia "Comparison of x" articles, which is a format people are already familiar with. It'd need some explanatory text at the top and ideally info about every feature, though.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
fornit

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:57:29 PM

I like this the best. It's similar to Wikipedia "Comparison of x" articles, which is a format people are already familiar with. It'd need some explanatory text at the top and ideally info about every feature, though.

it probably needs more explanation than all the other texts combined. strongly vote against this one.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 11:43:01 PM

it probably needs more explanation than all the other texts combined. strongly vote against this one.

Indeed...  IMO new users will just be bewildered by all that info.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 11:53:38 PM

I like it but I like the OP too.

Luke-Jr's chart is still too confusing for a non-techie. Once the client page is reached there should be an option to view the full details of every client which would lead to luke-jr's tables.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 11:57:53 PM

- i very much agree with erik's wording suggestions (and personally, picked the vertical option).

- i agree with jeff about vetting clients' security/trustworthiness/buginess very carefully first.

- luke's version needs to be killed with fire reserved for more technical, wikipedia-type articles.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 12:05:53 AM

- i very much agree with erik's wording suggestions (and personally, picked the vertical option).

- i agree with jeff about vetting clients' security/trustworthiness/buginess very carefully first.

- luke's version needs to be killed with fire reserved for more technical, wikipedia-type articles.

I think it would be great for augmenting the first page presented here. It could be behind a link such as "Click here for a comprehensive comparison of these clients". No reason to stick with only one or the other.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 12:27:15 AM

I think it would be great for augmenting the first page presented here. It could be behind a link such as "Click here for a comprehensive comparison of these clients". No reason to stick with only one or the other.
I also like the Luke-Jr proposal, but as rjk said it should be better to have it on a second link.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 12:40:06 AM

Can we do this after 1.0 ?

fornit

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 01:06:20 AM

Can we do this after 1.0 ?

ok, 2015 sounds good too, i guess....
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 01:21:26 AM

+1
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 01:29:02 AM

Armory is security-oriented and targets the high end of the user base

I am not sure this language helps any.

"Security-oriented" means little more than that the other clients have security issues, or that the other clients are for people who don't mind their money getting stolen.  Not likely the intended message.

"High end" doesn't mean anything useful.  Is someone who does a lot of transactions "high end"?  Someone who has a lot of money and carries a Gucci purse needs their bitcoin client to be shiny?  Perhaps it has better support for multi-party transactions?  These advantages would be better conveyed with more specific language.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:53:03 AM

Why not have both?  The easy to read one on top.  Luke's version underneath.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: