Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:54:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding the Bitcoin Foundation.......  (Read 6401 times)
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:42:45 PM

I have a question.

What are my benefits ( besides voting) for the 2.5 bitcoin I may give to the foundation?

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 06:46:27 PM

I’m very impressed with you Charlie. Your hard work has really paid off in a short time. You have risen from a purveyor of questionable cutlery to a founder of the leading Bitcoin organization in one year. Truly the American Dream personified.

Please allow me to beg you to stop debating with Goat. He will never get it and will only serve to deteriorate your disposition the longer you do.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ok cool, but if he raises good points, I have to respond (or someone does) because then he (and others) will claim we are dodging questions and make false accusations

But, I will try and do my best to be civil

-Charlie

I have a question.

What are my benefits ( besides voting) for the 2.5 bitcoin I may give to the foundation?

Good question, and thanks for the yellow highlighting lol.

Participating in member forums and discussions, discount for the Bitcoin 2013 Conference, Member dinners and events.
Being apart of something thats actively promoting and protecting Bitcoin.

We will outline all the benefits and put it on the Join Us page, thanks for the suggestion.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:52:18 PM

((...snip...))
Remember that Bitcoin's public image is still mostly DOWN THE DRAIN, if people know it at all. Many regular people think it's either a joke, monopoly money, a scam, only used for drugs, unsecure with constant hacks etc etc etc. This foundation IS NEEDED. Anyone who doesn't think so lives under a rock in some sort of personal cryptoanarchy-fantasyland.

+1

I've not seen evidence that bitcoin is taken seriously either. I personally feel that public opinion (as well as multi-government respect) is important for bitcoin. Short of having some manner of sovereign recognition, I don't see how bitcoin can achieve parity to any other type of financial instrument or currency. That will never happen so long as bitcoin continues to scare people.

Remember that Bitcoin's public image is still mostly DOWN THE DRAIN, if people know it at all. Many regular people think it's either a joke, monopoly money, a scam, only used for drugs, unsecure with constant hacks etc etc etc. This foundation IS NEEDED. Anyone who doesn't think so lives under a rock in some sort of personal cryptoanarchy-fantasyland.

Disagree. Bitcoin does not need an advertising corporation. Many new products/technologies face skepticism in their early days. Nonetheless, those products/technologies that prove advantageous will prevail in the end.

There are legal consequences and regulation for gift cards and other forms of "stored value" as well as financial instruments such as something so simple as as a paper check. The comparison to "products/technologies" is only one aspect.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:15:52 PM

Up is down, left is right. That's all I hear. All check and balances that we needed, we had until 2 days ago.

Before:  Gavin and other lead devs could have been funded by shady unknown, undisclosed -- or, more realistically, non-shady but unpredictable -- sources.

After:  Gavin and other devs may be funded by known, disclosed, predictable sources.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:29:05 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 09:40:30 PM by hazek

Up is down, left is right. That's all I hear. All check and balances that we needed, we had until 2 days ago.

Before:  Gavin and other lead devs could have been funded by shady unknown, undisclosed -- or, more realistically, non-shady but unpredictable -- sources.

After:  Gavin and other devs may be funded by known, disclosed, predictable sources.

Before: Gavin or who ever is lead dev had to personally defend his and his team's actions while the whole community was carefully monitoring what he did AND he was easily removable from his lead position

After: Gavin or who ever is lead dev can hide behind a corporation, a self admitted self imposed spokesperson, policy setting, business vetting, intertwined with corporate interest body that can shield him from any negative repercussions providing him with the excuse he was just executing their policy AND him now being a board member for the next two years and a founding member making him nearly impossible to be removed from his position

Who is paying Gavin is irrelevant, just as it is irrelevant who is Satoshi. What is relevant is who carries the responsibility to not misbehave and what kind of consequences can they face if they do.

I'm really scared by all your trickery you're employing in your PR posts.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 09:23:22 PM

I have a question.

Good question, and thanks for the yellow highlighting lol.

Participating in member forums and discussions, discount for the Bitcoin 2013 Conference, Member dinners and events.
Being apart of something thats actively promoting and protecting Bitcoin.

We will outline all the benefits and put it on the Join Us page, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for answering quickly.

• I am already in a forum and discussion. Smiley
  • It will depend on where the 2013 conference is as to if I can attend.
  • Member dinners and events is a good perk, again, depending on where they are.
  • I am already actively promoting and protecting Bitcoin.

You are welcome for the suggestion and the highlighting.

This thread is going like gangbusters and I did not want to get left out.

Thanks.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:06:52 AM

I think the foundation is very premature and the seats I think should be separated a bit more. I think people like Mike Hearn (bitcoinj), etotheipi (armory), jed, theymos, just to name a few should be on the board, to just give it more of a community feeling, right now I think it is very agenda orientated people that have the seats. While bitinstant is an amazing service, and it is killing it on the currency to bitcoin exchange. It is a profitable business, and so is mt gox, and having two people on a board where there companies are in direct line of this, never turns out to be a good thing. Also not having any competing services to hold seats, doesn't give a lot checks and balances. While the terms are only set for two years, in internet time that is a very long time and can be easy use to position certain companies in a very good ways.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:10:50 AM

Also not having any competing services to hold seats, doesn't give a lot checks and balances. While the terms are only set for two years, in internet time that is a very long time and can be easy use to position certain companies in a very good ways.
+1
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 04:20:38 AM

I honestly think the foundation would have gotten more support of board positions were open from the start and people could be nominated then voted on.

Not having any pools represented on the board is silly since they basically control a majority of hashing power.

The name would be better as abitcoinfoundation, which could also stand for american bitcoin foundation  Tongue

Mining and Privacy needs to have equal board seats imo with Falkvinge and Graet nominated.

I dont think I'll be joining the Mt Gox and Bitinstant happy fun times club untill the above is considered.

Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:23:40 AM

Linux has a very hierarchal community with a sense of authority.

Bitcoin? Hell no. We don't play by anybodies rules. Not even our own.

Anyways, the inspiration for this was The Linux Foundation with everyone giving Torvalds a handjob. Guess who wants to be Torvalds?
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 05:11:36 AM

It would be much better if the foundation created an independent salary/donation mechanism where the community was allowed to donate to the development budget first, and the foundation donated on top of that only in case of a shortfall.  Basically make the payment process as decentralized and autonomous as possible.

Genius. Those suspicious of the foundation would be incentivized to donate more to dev (and do it consistently) because every BTC they sent would subtract from the foundation's leverage over development. Either way the devs get paid.
Yurock

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:09:19 PM

Not having any pools represented on the board is silly since they basically control a majority of hashing power.
As I understand from their posts, controlling the Bitcoin network is not among functions or goals of the organization discussed here. Moreover, I think that having anyone who actually controls something in the Bitcoin network among board members may be a bad idea in the face of possible pressure from govt.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 07:17:02 PM

I think the main point is to act as a public front and means of delegating resources to tasks that will promote the spread of Bitcoin...I'm not quite sure why so many people are so worried...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bcmine

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1055

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:56:32 AM

Bitcoin gets banned in Countries like Bolivia, Bangladesh, Colombia, Russia, China and many more the authorities are saying that

“It is illegal to use any kind of currency that is not issued and controlled by a government or an authorized entity.”

So my question is, why is the Bitcoin Foundation not accepted as a authorized entity?

Whats wrong with their status?

What could help, so they are getting the status of an authorized entity?
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 01:21:07 PM

Bitcoin gets banned in Countries like Bolivia, Bangladesh, Colombia, Russia, China and many more the authorities are saying that

“It is illegal to use any kind of currency that is not issued and controlled by a government or an authorized entity.”

So my question is, why is the Bitcoin Foundation not accepted as a authorized entity?

Well, the Foundation doesn't issue bitcoins nor control how they are issued, transacted, or destroyed.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bcmine

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 11:08:03 AM

Well, the Foundation doesn't issue bitcoins nor control how they are issued, transacted, or destroyed.

So your argument is, that because there is no authority behind the bitcoin, it need to be threatet differently by law. You implicate kind of god status for bitcoin, with the argument of decentralisation power. With Jesus and Christians it worked in Rom but thats a big ball of BS, because people dont believe more in the 21st century in easy things. Even if you talk about smth hoping other dont understand what you are talking about, its not good at all for your business either.

There is always are power or authority behind something even its decentralized. There must be a representation behind the system of issuing and the transactions of bitcoins.

But i guess you dont understand me. I feel like talking to a maron, so please explain me some basics. A system without power of representation is a system with no power. Thats the rule for a decentraliced sociaty like a democrasy. The democrasy had to fight for his constitution against several parties with principles. And as we see, bitcoin is losing against olipols like banks etc. So I am asking, who is having the power of representation bitcoins and you say no one, because no one is controlling its issue and transactions.

I understand the present situation of the bitcoinfoundation focusing on education and providing information. But for a salary of $220k you could expect a REAL representation, who is an authorized entity too, focusing on the getting the bitcoin as a monetary good and saying that its not a currency.

But of course, we can just dump the bitcoin and wait for cryptocurrency 2.0 with cryptocurrency foundation 2.0
bcmine

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:36:37 AM

Maybe the coin center think thank can make a change in the game and gaining some influence the bitcoin foundation could not built up.

The bitcoin foundation is a bunch of overpaid marons as it seems. No leaders there.

I do hope the bitcoin foundation financies are happy with it work. In my opinon the bitcoin foundation should be suspended as they were not able to built up a world wide network of working local bitcoin foundation representation.

thats my point to the bitcoin foundation and think alot would agree with me.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: