Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:12:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rpcminer binary for Mac  (Read 11800 times)
MacCompiler (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:29:12 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2011, 09:39:59 PM by MacCompiler

I compiled a binary of rpcminer for Mac OS 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’. This binary distribution is built from the source code distribution from 2011-02-27. There are three necessary platform modifications to the original source to make it compile and run on Mac OS.

Download rpcminer for Mac [binary] (1.244 MiB) at MegaUpload.

Update: new GUI variant

I hope someone will find it useful. Smiley Donations: 14V7RiwD3joqDF2Jv6zst3ZnQsR686u9iH Wink

Usage
Unpack the download by double-clicking on it. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app. Drag the unpacked program to the Terminal window and drop it. Then follow the below described usage to add arguments to connect to the central server.

Code:
./rpcminer -url=http://mining.bitcoin.cz:8332/ -user=your.name -password=your.password

It’s been tested on a MacBook Air running Mac OS 10.6.5 and a Mac Mini running 10.6.7 against the mining.bitcoin.cz pool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lathom

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:46:31 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 12:44:42 AM by lathom

Thanks for compiling the binary! I downloaded it, cd'd into the directory that contains rpcminer, and then issued the following command:

Code:
rpcminer -url=http://mining.bitcoin.cz:8332/ -user=hidden.1 -password=hidden

Then I get the following error:

Code:
-bash: rpcminer: command not found

Anybody know what I could be doing wrong?
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:55:23 PM

I compiled a binary of rpcminer for Mac OS 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’. This binary distribution is built from the source code distribution from 2011-02-27. There are three necessary platform modifications to the original source to make it compile and run on Mac OS.

I hope someone will find it useful. Smiley Donations: 14V7RiwD3joqDF2Jv6zst3ZnQsR686u9iH Wink  

It’s been tested on a MacBook Air running Mac OS 10.6.5 and a Mac Mini running 10.6.7 against the mining.bitcoin.cz pool.

What modifications did you have to perform? When I compiled it the only thing I had to do was create a byteswap.h in the source directory with the following contents:

Code:
#include <libkern/OSByteOrder.h>
#define bswap_16(x) OSSwapInt16(x)
#define bswap_32(x) OSSwapInt32(x)
#define bswap_64(x) OSSwapInt64(x)

Other than that due to the fact that OS X doesn't define byteswap.h for us, there were no other modifications necessary.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
boxster

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 03:24:24 AM

Good effort.

On my 2GHz Core2Duo Macbook I'm getting 0.9-1Mhsh.

By contrast, bitcoin-miner inside a Windows 7 VM via VirtualBox on the same machine comes close to 4 Mhsh.
ninjasmurf

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:55:56 PM

greetings. thank you very much for compiling this for us. if i'm newbie enough to need someone to compile for me, you can imagine what my time in terminal is like. i have the same error as lathom. i've seen the syntax: ./rpcminer -u login -p pass -o deepbit.net -r 8332 -v 2 -f 2 -w 129 elsewhere and tried that but got the following error: -bash: ./rpcminer: Permission denied. any pointers would be greatly appreciated. have a bang-up day.
boxster

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 04:21:46 AM

greetings. thank you very much for compiling this for us. if i'm newbie enough to need someone to compile for me, you can imagine what my time in terminal is like. i have the same error as lathom. i've seen the syntax: ./rpcminer -u login -p pass -o deepbit.net -r 8332 -v 2 -f 2 -w 129 elsewhere and tried that but got the following error: -bash: ./rpcminer: Permission denied. any pointers would be greatly appreciated. have a bang-up day.

My syntax:
Code:
./rpcminer -url=deepbit.net:8332 -user=username -password=password
ninjasmurf

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:45:24 AM

thanks boxster! when i issue that command from the directory in which rpcminer is in i get the following:
-bash: ./rpcminer: Permission denied
you know when i double-click on the downloaded rpcminer, rpcminer 2 appears.
what is rpcminer 2?
i tried running your command with rpcminer 2 and it doesn't like the space between the 'e' and the '2'.
thanks for your time.
boxster

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 06:54:56 AM

thanks boxster! when i issue that command from the directory in which rpcminer is in i get the following:
what is rpcminer 2?
i tried running your command with rpcminer 2 and it doesn't like the space between the 'e' and the '2'.
thanks for your time.
perhaps you need to give rpcminer executable permissions. do this only once (don't need to do it every time you want to run rpcminer):
Code:
chmod +x rpcminer

once that's done, you should be able to run:
Code:
./rpcminer -url=deepbit.net:8332 -user=username -password=password
MacCompiler (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:04:50 PM

Setting it as executable should not be necessary. But do let me know if this resolved the problem.

I have updated the usage instructions to be more detailed/walktrough-like. I hope this helps everyone who haven’t found out how to use it properly.

850 downloads in a little over one weeks is quite more than I expected. I will try and keep this distribution up to date as the upstream code is updated.
lathom

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:06:24 AM

I got it working, but don't know if it's the "right way" to do it. After reading about places where binary files should live I tried copying the binary into /usr/bin:
Code:
sudo cp rpcminer /usr/bin/rpcminer
then changed the permissions:
Code:
sudo chmod 555 /usr/bin/rpcminer
after that I was successful with:
Code:
rpcminer -url=http://mining.bitcoin.cz:8332/ -user=hidden.1 -password=hidden

FWIW on my imac with with intel core 2 duo I was getting around 1300 khash/s total, which isn't as good as what I got with jgarzik's cpu minor compiled for 64-bit Intel Mac, which yielded around 830 khash/s per core.
ninjasmurf

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:08:03 PM

Thank you very much MacCompiler. how do/where do we access the useage instructions?
ivkowalenko

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 06:51:14 PM

what is rpcminer 2?
thanks for your time.
The file was uploaded without an extension, relying on resource forks to identify it as a MacBinary compressed file. Megaupload, however, does not respect resource forks, and stripped them. So you've got a file with no extension and your Mac can't identify. Fortunately, we're all humans here, and we know better. Just add .bin to the end of the file, and the Finder will properly identify it as a MacBin, which it can then decompress to give you a useful executable that should require zero modification to use.

I made the exact same mistake when I first downloaded it too.
ivkowalenko

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 06:52:39 PM

Good effort.

On my 2GHz Core2Duo Macbook I'm getting 0.9-1Mhsh.

By contrast, bitcoin-miner inside a Windows 7 VM via VirtualBox on the same machine comes close to 4 Mhsh.
I've noticed a similar thing too. I'm averaging about 1.4 Mh/s with the rpc miner, though with Diablo I was getting closer to 4.1.
MacCompiler (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

I’ve wrapped this up with some helper scripts that will make it act more like a normal Mac application. Get the CPU and GPU miners wrapped in Mac GUIs.

No performance gain in these distributions, but they will at least be easier to use.
ninjasmurf

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:06:52 AM

hello macCompiler. thanks for putting the time in for us brand-newbians. when you have a moment could you look at where i'm at? i run your snazzy little program thusly:
RPCminer setup wizard
CPU based Bitcoin miner.
------------------------
Server host name or IP address: http://deepbit.net
Server port number: 8332
Miner username: username
Miner password: password

Starting RPCminer (CPU)...
--------------------------
Client will start 2 miner threads
Work will be refreshed every 4000 ms
Could not retrieve work from RPC server.
CURL return value = 6
No blocks are being hashed right now.  This can happen if the application is
still starting up, you supplied incorrect parameters, or there is a
communications error connecting to the RPC server.
Could not retrieve work from RPC server.
CURL return value = 6

it remains this way ad infinitum. what is CURL?  i ran a test by putting in a gibberish use/pass and got the same output. i am able to long into deepbit's website with the username/password that i used here. see what i'm missing? by the way, if there is a good guide out there somewhere you'd rather i scour instead of bugging you with questions, don't hesitate to point me in its direction. good night.
MacCompiler (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:22:58 AM

hello macCompiler. thanks for putting the time in for us brand-newbians. when you have a moment could you look at where i'm at? i run your snazzy little program thusly:
RPCminer setup wizard
CPU based Bitcoin miner.
------------------------
Server host name or IP address: http://deepbit.net
Server port number: 8332
Miner username: username
Miner password: password

it remains this way ad infinitum. what is CURL?  i ran a test by putting in a gibberish use/pass and got the same output. i am able to long into deepbit's website with the username/password that i used here. see what i'm missing? by the way, if there is a good guide out there somewhere you'd rather i scour instead of bugging you with questions, don't hesitate to point me in its direction. good night.
Go to https://deepbit.net/account and click Create New Worker. This new login username and password is what you should put into the client.

The hostname must be specified without protocol prefix. So enter only deepbit.net and the port number 8223. I will make future versions work with and without the protocol prefix to avoid this problem.
ninjasmurf

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:43:16 AM

AT LAST I AM I MINING!!!!!!!
punin

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 04:10:18 PM

I get:
Code:
Starting RPCminer (CPU)...
--------------------------
/Applications/RPCminer.app/Contents/MacOS/RPCminer-exe: line 186: ./rpcminer: Bad CPU type in executable
Did something go wrong? Relaunch and enter the Set up wizard by pressing 1 and Enter during start-up, and check your configuration.
logout

[Process completed]

What's wrong? I'm on a 10.6 Hackintosh with Intel Q6600

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:13:30 AM