Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:32:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we be worried about bitcoin value drop?  (Read 1918 times)
Superhitech (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:54:44 PM

Should we? or shall we stay calm and bitcoin on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:57:02 PM

I mean, it will always fluctuate.
My advice: set aside $100 you don't need from your budget, and invest in Bitcoin. Who knows, that $100 might be worth $10000 in a few years. Or it could be worth 10 cents.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3189

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:00:22 PM

Bitcoin works regardless of the price. There is nothing to worry about, even if it drops below $1.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4407

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:02:26 PM

if any more people with under 100 'activity' cry about the value drop. the please read posts made by people with atleast 300+ activity, and atleast read what they have to say before making yet another topic asking the same question.. theres been atleast 10 topics today of people asking that.

please read other opinions as it seems that you dont want answers if you have not even tried looking for them.

sorry for being harsh, but bitcoin is not dying, i have heard that cry many many many times over the last couple years.. research USA tax year end

google "fiscal year usa".

enjoy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Campsis

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

WW3

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:02:54 PM

Bitcoin works regardless of the price. There is nothing to worry about, even if it drops below $1.

Sure, it might still work but where is my $70,000 that i invested?

9kv

Learning

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:03:46 PM

It's still there, you just have to wait until the price per bitcoin reaches the same amount you invested at Wink
Superhitech (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:04:02 PM

if any more people with under 100 'activity' cry about the value drop. the please read posts made by people with atleast 300+ activity, and atleast read what they have to say before making yet another topic asking the same question.. theres been atleast 10 topics today of people asking that.

please read other opinions as it seems that you dont want answers if you have not even tried looking for them.

sorry for being harsh, but bitcoin is not dying, i have heard that cry many many many times over the last couple years.. research USA tax year end

google "fiscal year usa".

enjoy

Ok thanks Smiley it comforts me to know that it's not a concern of dropping. BITCOIN TO THE MOON!!!!
Campsis

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

WW3

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:08:25 PM

It's still there, you just have to wait until the price per bitcoin reaches the same amount you invested at Wink

Which might never happen, i hardly see it ever being 600$ again

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:08:52 PM

The answer to this question is the same to your question about worrying about value drop. Did Bitcoin's technology change in the past 24 Hours? No

Simple answer in this case is, No, don't be worried about the price drop. I could care less, I would care if this price drop was in correlation to a change with how Bitcoin works, I don't really care what people are trading its value at. I intend to the coins I own in their pure form
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:10:19 PM

Don't "invest" into a highly volitile, highly speculative, and extremely risky asset such as bitcoin funds that would be devastating to "lose".
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

Only invest in what you can afford to lose!

Bitcoin price never bothers me because I believe in the technology!

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
Verse

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:12:16 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 08:31:10 PM by Verse

This is incorrect. The concept "works" but for practical purposes Bitcoin does not.

A) Bitcoin, with its existing 1MB limit on blocks, is limited to 7tx/sec (according to Bitcoin Wiki). Bitcoin's market cap and average BTC per address directly affect how much wealth can be transacted through Bitcoin in any given period of time. Therefore it directly affects how well the Bitcoin system can function as a payment processor.

B) Bitcoin's functions are very much price dependent. For instance, a multi-billion dollar corporation would not view Bitcoin as a suitable substitute for wire transfers if the market cannot absorb the entry and exit of a corresponding amount of wealth without vast price fluctuations.

There's a feedback mechanism here that too many people are too willing to ignore. These are some of the basic reasons that people expect Bitcoin's price to grow exponentially at some point, and not in the sense of a bubble. Needless to say, Bitcoin may currently be overvalued and continue to crash. However I believe it is too soon for a serious crash and would expect such a crash to occur when the FED (US/Japan in particular) begin tightening their monetary policy.

Therefore I would expect Bitcoin exchange rates to exhibit strong momentum around certain price points, depending on the economy's stage of growth. A decrease begets a decrease.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:15:16 PM

This is incorrect. The concept "works" but for practical purposes Bitcoin does not.

A) Bitcoin, with its existing 1MB limit on blocks, is limited to 7tx/sec (according to Bitcoin Wiki). Bitcoin's market cap and average BTC per address directly affect how much wealth can be transacted through Bitcoin in any given period of time. Therefore it directly affects how well the Bitcoin system can function as a payment processor.

Fortunately we aren't anywhere near the limit, and we can adjust the limit in the future if we encounter it and there is enough agreement from the community.
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

When you deposit a paycheck into your bank account do you consider that an "investment" in dollars?

Bitcoin is not an investment. It is money.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:30:47 PM

Price drops and rises happen. I've always said that you should consider bitcoin capable of going up 1000% or down 90% rather quickly, at any point. This is a new asset class that merges technology, finance, economics, and (arguably) politics into one beast. The price-discovery for such a thing is necessarily going to be brutally volatile.

Just keep assessing the fundamentals and forget about the price for a decade or so.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Verse

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:36:36 PM

Fortunately we aren't anywhere near the limit, and we can adjust the limit in the future if we encounter it and there is enough agreement from the community.

You are correct, I'm not trying to FUD despite being a bit pessimistic. Just pointing out some obvious logical flaws. However I also feel inclined to point out that miners might not want to increase block size, since keeping a constant supply against increasing demand would cause an increase in transaction fees and therefore profit. There are likely many soft limits like that which we will encounter in the future.

Again, not trying to FUD. Bitcoin is secure, these issues come up long before any casualties.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:49:57 PM

- snip -
I also feel inclined to point out that miners might not want to increase block size, since keeping a constant supply against increasing demand would cause an increase in transaction fees and therefore profit.
- snip -

I certainly agree with this.  And if the total value of daily transactions is high enough then I'm not necessarily against an increasing transaction cost when we encounter the blocksize limit.

On the other hand...

If, as you point out, the "market cap and average BTC per address directly affect how much wealth can be transacted through Bitcoin in any given period of time" then a low market cap or low average BTC per address will result in a lower limit on the amount that users are willing to spend on fees per transaction. As such, the only way miners would be able to increase their net income would be by increasing the maximum blocksize.
Verse

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:26:34 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 09:41:41 PM by Verse

If, as you point out, the "market cap and average BTC per address directly affect how much wealth can be transacted through Bitcoin in any given period of time" then a low market cap or low average BTC per address will result in a lower limit on the amount that users are willing to spend on fees per transaction. As such, the only way miners would be able to increase their net income would be by increasing the maximum blocksize.
Assuming the market cap is in USD while transaction fees are in BTC, which miners then convert to fiat (taxes/electricity), discussing profits in USD seems appropriate.

Miners' profits should be dependent on a delicate equilibrium between a transaction publishing bottleneck decreasing Bitcoin's USD exchange rate and being able to demand higher fees, assuming people have a demand for transaction speeds. Any single miner controls a market share of potential transaction publication. Therefore any miner should be able to cause a percent increase in average tx fees as a function of USD by limiting the number of transactions published. Whether or not this sort of strategy can increase their overall profits is dependent on their market share and the demand for quick transactions at that particular time. I suspect quick tx demand shifts on a 24-hour scale. Just another reason to be concerned about concentrated mining pools.

An increase in nominal BTC profits would be very easy in this scheme, depending on market share.

Example: OPEC doesn't control all of the oil. They don't even control most of it. They still manipulate prices to increase their profits by limiting their supply.
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:28:37 PM

Yes, you should be worried and you should sell everything, because it will drop much more
9kv

Learning

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:04:49 PM

When you deposit a paycheck into your bank account do you consider that an "investment" in dollars?

Bitcoin is not an investment. It is money.
Bitcoin is very much an investment right now. It can be used as money the same way you can trade an ounce of gold for some item, but gold is not money and Bitcoin is not money. It could be in the future (gold used to be money) but neither are right now.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: