Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:29:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ADVISE PLEASE - Worried about losing my BTC with Multibit !!!!!  (Read 2803 times)
bilabonic (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:10:57 AM

Hi All

I have been mining BTC for a while and have 30 BTC in 3 seperate encrypted wallets using Multibit on my laptop, i tend to open a new encrypted wallet after i reach approx 10 BTC (after being advised on here).

I also have been advised to back up ALL data in - C>users>acer>appdata>roaming>multibit>multibit.wallet.

I do this EVERYTIME i add another wallet and save the data to 3 usb sticks.

What worries me is that if my laptop develops a fault and i can not access Multibit on it then i have no access to my coins and NO IDEA how to recover them on another machine even after searching on here !!!!

Can anyone advise me if my method is safe and how would i go about recovering my coins if my laptop breaks...

Thanks

BTC - 1Ayax24aAU8c1xwAakK94DVDkm4kbfZ8Ch

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:17:50 AM

Ideally you will restore the wallets to the same place. However, MultiBit also includes a feature File>Open Wallet, that allows you to open and use a .wallet file on an arbitrary location.

In addition, you can make a backup into a multibit .key file using Tools>Export private keys. Once for each wallet, password-protection is possible. This can go into a bank vault on storage media as necessary. You can then re-import these keys, after reinstalling, into blank wallets if something should go wrong.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 07:23:56 PM

Ideally you will restore the wallets to the same place. However, MultiBit also includes a feature File>Open Wallet, that allows you to open and use a .wallet file on an arbitrary location.

In addition, you can make a backup into a multibit .key file using Tools>Export private keys. Once for each wallet, password-protection is possible. This can go into a bank vault on storage media as necessary. You can then re-import these keys, after reinstalling, into blank wallets if something should go wrong.

Thanks for the reply Hexa, much appreciated.

What would you recommend i do to safely have a back-up ?

As i stated in my first post PLUS export of private keys ?? Do i need to export private keys only once for each wallet, how often do i need to  export keys for each wallet ??

Cheers

hexafraction

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:12:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Hexa, much appreciated.

What would you recommend i do to safely have a back-up ?

As i stated in my first post PLUS export of private keys ?? Do i need to export private keys only once for each wallet, how often do i need to  export keys for each wallet ??

Cheers

Backup should go on reliable flash memory in a safe deposit box, at the very least. You need to re-export private keys for each wallet each time you add a new address to it (as each private key is tied to its own address). If you have funds in addresses A, B, and C, make a backup, and create a new address D, receive money to it, and have a disk failure with no recovery, you'll be able to recover the balances of A, B, and C, but not D.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:47:09 AM

Thanks

By adding an address do you mean creating a new wallet ?

Surely if i have a wallet that has a set amount of BTC in it and i no longer use then once i have the private keys backed up for that wallet then all is good ? I do not need to keep exporting keys for it as i am not using it...

hexafraction

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 11:12:25 AM

Thanks

By adding an address do you mean creating a new wallet ?

Surely if i have a wallet that has a set amount of BTC in it and i no longer use then once i have the private keys backed up for that wallet then all is good ? I do not need to keep exporting keys for it as i am not using it...

Addresses are not the same thing as wallets. One wallet has multiple addresses. Backing up private keys ensures that you can spend from any address that existed at the time you made the backup. This works for coins that you received after making the backup, into an address that you had made before the backup. Same goes for backing up the wallet (as far as I know).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: