Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:19:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitminter bitcoin mining pool - shutdown mining 2020-07-01 website 2021-06-01  (Read 324648 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 10:28:12 PM

Socket connect failed: Connection refused"

I guess something happened my end then. Maybe my Internet router playing up or the network cable fell out. I'll have to investigate more.  Roll Eyes

Did you make any firewall changes?

The connection refused is not coming from the Bitminter server.

No changes my end. Just rebooted the router and it's working again. Must just been running so long it's ran out of memory or something.
Thanks for the reply. Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cenicsoft

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 10:59:11 PM

Socket connect failed: Connection refused"

I guess something happened my end then. Maybe my Internet router playing up or the network cable fell out. I'll have to investigate more.  Roll Eyes

Did you make any firewall changes?

The connection refused is not coming from the Bitminter server.

No changes my end. Just rebooted the router and it's working again. Must just been running so long it's ran out of memory or something.
Thanks for the reply. Grin

One of our miners dropped connection temporarily as well.  All seems fine now.

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
marklyon

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:21:58 AM

Not enjoying the new shift change.  With long blocks, it's too easy for a large amount of work to fall off the payable list. 

With the longer shifts, you weren't really missing out on anything - you got paid for your work. It certainly took longer to fill the full dance card, but the risk of unpaid work was quite low.
Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:35:03 AM

+1
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:07:12 AM

Not enjoying the new shift change.  With long blocks, it's too easy for a large amount of work to fall off the payable list. 

With the longer shifts, you weren't really missing out on anything - you got paid for your work. It certainly took longer to fill the full dance card, but the risk of unpaid work was quite low.

If you're a regular miner it has no impact on your average reward.  Some shares will go unpaid in long blocks, but the shares that do get paid get more per share.  The same amount of BTC goes out to miners in the end.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 07:08:33 AM

For 24/7 miners, if you have x% of the hashrate then you are getting x% of the coins. You are earning the same coins as before. The payouts also happen at the same time as before. For you nothing has changed. When we find a block the payout to your account is the same as before.

For part time miners, if you mine 1 hour and leave the chance is now higher that you get extremely high pay or extremely low (even zero) pay. If we get more pool hashpower in the future then the shifts will be extended again to reduce the luck factor for part time miners.

If you mine 24/7 and you think zero pay shifts are hurting you, why do you think that? Isn't the important thing that you get the same pay as always? Do you really care that the calculations have changed, if they always produce the same numbers for you as before?

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
marklyon

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:29:33 PM

I try not to mine at 0, but occasionally do when my rig is rented out.  I'd had a rather effective strategy with the longer shifts of compensating for that by throwing a lot more effort at the pool to make up for times when I was at 0, with that extra work pulling in enough to cover the cost plus a little extra.  Now, with the shorter shifts, that's more of a gamble.  If you put a lot of work into an unlucky period, not being able to sustain it means it will go unpaid (conversely, putting in a lot of extra work just before a lucky period would be freaking awesome).

Here's an example.  We hit one block when my dance card was partially filled at 12TH.  But now, it's cleared itself and I'm back down to .9.

https://i.imgur.com/3GKCHEJl.png
Fahlcor

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 11:03:46 PM

I try not to mine at 0, but occasionally do when my rig is rented out.  I'd had a rather effective strategy with the longer shifts of compensating for that by throwing a lot more effort at the pool to make up for times when I was at 0, with that extra work pulling in enough to cover the cost plus a little extra.  Now, with the shorter shifts, that's more of a gamble.  If you put a lot of work into an unlucky period, not being able to sustain it means it will go unpaid (conversely, putting in a lot of extra work just before a lucky period would be freaking awesome).

Here's an example.  We hit one block when my dance card was partially filled at 12TH.  But now, it's cleared itself and I'm back down to .9.

I can understand your feelings and I have mentioned before the same things.  But as The Doc has pointed out the law of averages should prevail

Hey Doc as a feature why not show a graph/user what they have earned and compare it to the btc/day/thash type of thing.  This way each user could see how much they are making. This should give a good perspective oh how much users are earning/site averages.  It should also show how great a week last week was with all the lucky blocks.

To those who rent, renting it is a gamble.  More now than before but if you hit them right you can get great returns for not a lot of btc.

Thanks

Fahlcor
no141

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 12:40:39 AM

I had an interesting day loosing a shift. Power was out for 4-6 hours in the morning, and then my power supply decided to smoke out. Thankfully the UPS killed the power and saved the miner, after a capacitor blew open. Hopefully I can get the shifts back in order before anything else happens. These short shifts are quite unnerving to me. Need luck here, lots.

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:12:13 AM

You don't need to keep all the shifts at full hashrate to get proper pay (common misconception). You should expect in any pool that if you don't mine for 4-6 hours then your income drops a bit.

Fahlcor

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:47:13 PM

If there are any renters here I would be interested in combining our efforts at the same time to see if we can see if we can push a few blocks maybe?

I would be doing 50thash for 6 hours.  If anyone is interested we can set a common time and do it.

Thanks

Fahlcor
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:38:22 AM

You don't need to keep all the shifts at full hashrate to get proper pay (common misconception). You should expect in any pool that if you don't mine for 4-6 hours then your income drops a bit.

Just to add some emphasis to this:  Your income would drop a bit because you didn't work for 4-6 hours.  But your pay for the other hours you did mine on any proper pool will not be penalized by the lapse in your mining time.

The most common misconception with PPLNS is that you need to mine in all currently paying shifts in order to receive "full" payments.  This is false.  The expected payout of any share on PPLNS is the same whether you mine for hours without stop or mine for a few minutes every day.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 08:47:22 PM

New server is up, and stats have been updated on the website!

We now have a new server up at us2.bitminter.com:3333 (Stratum only)

Use it as backup or primary, and keep mint.bitminter.com:3333 as your other server. It's helpful to have a failover server in case you lose connectivity with your primary one. For some users the latency to us2 will be lower as well, which may help a tiny bit with rejected (stale) work. More servers are coming soon.

Website updates:

A lot of people misinterpret the numbers on the website, so I'm trying to remove stats that are either not really useful or that people tend to misunderstand, and instead add data that is both easy to understand and generally useful.

• Shifts page: now displays pay/hour for mining with 1 TH/s. It's very simple. Work during a shift was paid at a certain rate (which varies with luck). You did a certain amount of work in that shift. Seeing it from this angle makes it much easier to understand the relation between work and pay. No more wondering how much you will get paid per block, and how that is affected by your work in the shifts.
  • Workers page: data per "current round" removed. Instead you can choose between "all time" and "since reset". There is now a "0.0" reset button. This works like the trip meter of an odometer in a car. Hit the reset button any time you want. Afterwards you can see how much work the worker has done since that time. And the total amount of work the worker has ever done is always available.
  • Account details: "expected pay per block" has been removed. This was the source of most misunderstandings and caused trouble to no end. It invited you to try and understand the relation between work and pay in a very complicated way. You can of course still see how much you got for each block in your transaction history.
  • Live stats: user-data per BTC and NMC rounds removed. These numbers didn't matter. You can still see your data for the current shift, which does matter. The total (pool wide) amount of work per round is still kept for luck/cdf stats, which is useful.

cenicsoft

Activity: 276

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 10:54:18 PM

• Account details: "expected pay per block" has been removed. This was the source of most misunderstandings and caused trouble to no end. It invited you to try and understand the relation between work and pay in a very complicated way. You can of course still see how much you got for each block in your transaction history.

This was actually very useful for people who understood how things worked.  Can it be hidden somewhere else for those who do understand it to see - maybe on the transactions history page? https://bitminter.com/members/transactions

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
pazsion

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:53:15 AM

This was actually very useful for people who understood how things worked.  Can it be hidden somewhere else for those who do understand it to see - maybe on the transactions history page? https://bitminter.com/members/transactions

Cry

more details removed from stats..."they don't matter" so we are further blinded between the efficiency of the pool in relation to our hw and its contribution. oh well. this is the way it has been. i'm happy its here and works so well. and  Grin new server  Cheesy Cheesy
Fahlcor

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 02:21:05 AM

I love the updates Doc.  Thanks for all your hard work and the server add.

I have a large rental running so hopefully I can help get some blocks.

I'm assuming that the ?? on the https://bitminter.com/shifts page are there because they are only truly accurate once they have passed.  Would an estimate be possible for those or not really?

Keep up the awesome work doc.

Fahlcor
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 05:26:36 AM

Yeah, it is still there in the transaction history. There is one payout for each block.

more details removed from stats..."they don't matter" so we are further blinded between the efficiency of the pool in relation to our hw and its contribution. oh well. this is the way it has been. i'm happy its here and works so well. and  Grin new server  Cheesy Cheesy

If you have suggestions for more stats, send them to me. I don't know any useful measure of pool efficiency except the stale rate. Most users are at 0.1% or below. As long as the stales stay that low I don't know how interesting it is to show more stats on that..

I love the updates Doc.  Thanks for all your hard work and the server add.

I have a large rental running so hopefully I can help get some blocks.

I'm assuming that the ?? on the https://bitminter.com/shifts page are there because they are only truly accurate once they have passed.  Would an estimate be possible for those or not really?

Keep up the awesome work doc.

Fahlcor

Glad you like it Smiley Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with the 10 latest shifts. I suppose I could show how well they have paid so far, but I wonder if people will misinterpret that. I could show a text saying "not yet fully paid", or perhaps show the pay so far and some text or graphic showing those shifts still receive pay.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:41:29 AM

[...] mint.bitminter.com:3333 [...]

Where is the first one located? Any news on a server in Asia?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 05:44:52 AM

[...] mint.bitminter.com:3333 [...]

Where is the first one located? Any news on a server in Asia?

The old one is in Los Angeles. The new one is in Kansas City.

Not very far apart, but it works for failover. We'll have servers in other areas soon.

If you know any good hosting providers in Asia please send me a message.

fungal

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 10:46:15 AM

If you know any good hosting providers in Asia please send me a message.

Please define "GOOD"  Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: