Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:25:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging interest. Pay for prepaid wireless with Bitcoin.  (Read 1460 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:58:44 PM

If you currently are using prepaid cellphone/wireless/mobile broadband or planning to in the future would you be interested in a service which provides pin codes and RTR (real time recharge directly to phone #) paid for with Bitcoins?

Would you honestly use such a service?  
What if 1% of purchase price was donated to Bitcoin open source development team?
Prices would be slightly below retail (i.e. $50 prepaid PIN or RTR would be $48 to $49 equivalent in BTC)?

Pin codes would need block confirmation(s) but I think the risk of double spend is low enough on RTR to have them processed 0-confirm.

Interested? Comments?
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twobitcoins

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 07:21:43 PM

I think this is a good fit for Bitcoin.  It seems like a risky business that could really benefit from Bitcoin's irreversibility.  You could do it without collecting any identity information.

I would give your service a try as long as it is reasonably competitive with other discount sellers.  Discounts of around 5% off of face value seem fairly common.  By avoiding CC/PayPal fees you should have a better margin (though much lower volume for now unfortunately).
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 07:26:18 PM

We're working on a similar service as well  Grin

320 Mobile Operators, 100 Countries

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Indemnified

Activity: 216

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 09:59:26 PM

I would use such a service if available in Canada for my Virgin Mobile prepaid.
teste

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:10:03 PM

Yankee,

Brazil is included in the list of countries?
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:12:06 PM

Thumbs up to you guys.
Not a service I currently need, but with the way this country is going, I am overjoyed to see anything that protects what's left of people's privacy.
Hope it is successful.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 10:13:51 PM

Yankee,

Brazil is included in the list of countries?

Yes,

Brazil:

Claro
Nextel
Oi
TIM
Vivo

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 10:16:57 PM

I've bought pre-paid mobile minutes before and will surely do so again and I would love if I could pay for it with bitcoins. I can't honestly say I would sign up for it immediately, but I can promise that I'd use it eventually.

Still around.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:19:46 PM

If you currently are using prepaid cellphone/wireless/mobile broadband or planning to in the future would you be interested in a service which provides pin codes and RTR (real time recharge directly to phone #) paid for with Bitcoins?

PIN codes for U.S. carriers sold here:
 - http://www.btcbuy.info/CallingCards.cshtml
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78050.0

Pin codes would need block confirmation(s) but I think the risk of double spend is low enough on RTR to have them processed 0-confirm.

Yup, PIN codes are like a bearer negotiable instrument, so you'ld site pretty vulnerable the risk of a race attack or a Finney attack.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

datafish
Donator

Activity: 129

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:11:06 AM

I have the bitcoinwireless.com and bitcoinwireless.net domains.  I would be willing to transfer them to a reputable member of the community if he/she were going to do something awesome with them.  I also think this is a great idea.  You should offer a selection of phones, too.  It would provide the opportunity of having a completely anonymous phone service, with the ability to refill without going into a retail store.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 03:48:16 PM

I have the bitcoinwireless.com and bitcoinwireless.net domains.  I would be willing to transfer them to a reputable member of the community if he/she were going to do something awesome with them.  I also think this is a great idea.  You should offer a selection of phones, too.  It would provide the opportunity of having a completely anonymous phone service, with the ability to refill without going into a retail store.

PM sent.  

Selling Phones is something I have considered however it will require holding (depreciating) inventory so I would want to see enough demand first but I agree that it would be a great idea.  You could pay for phone, SIM card, and airtime all by BTC.  Only phone & SIM need physical delivery and it could be anywhere you want.

Prepaid wireless is really starting to reach parity with contracted plans.

Google is selling the Galaxy Nexus (unlocked w/ no contract usable on 200 carriers globally) direct to consumers.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Simple Mobile (T-mobile reseller) offers unlimited plan for $40 a month.
http://www.mysimplemobile.com/plans-40-unlimited.aspx
datafish
Donator

Activity: 129

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:39:37 PM

I received a lot of inquiries on the domains, so I decided to auction them and donate the proceeds to the bitcointalk.org forum.  Please see this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79115.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: