Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:22:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2435 blocks  (Read 5350094 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
NateTGreat

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:17:39 AM

Hi All,

I am a beginner miner, and have been mining with x4 S9's for 3 weeks. I started using NiceHash and ViaBTC because of ease of use, me being a noob and all. I really didn't know any better and just wanted to get up and running. After Nicehash fell last week, I turned strictly to ViaBTC for BCH and BTC mining. However, now being into the game a little more, I am starting to question if ViaBTC is really the best place to be mining long-term.

Anyway, I had heard many good things about Kano Pool before I had even gotten my miners, and was thinking of joining here first. However, then I heard about 'ramping-up' and got a little gun-shy to be honest. I still have no idea what this means.

I am seriously considering joining this pool, but would like a little more information to make my decision. I understand that there may be biased responses from active members of the pool, but I would appreciate neutral comparisons to other pools, as well as legitimate reasons as to why Kano Pool is where I should (or should not be) mining.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, as well as thanks for your response(s) in advance. Cheesy
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 03:24:38 AM

What just happened? My fans powered down for like 20 seconds or something but power is good, everything stayed up and connected - no sign of any issue. Did something change on the pool? Time coincides with the last block on the network, I've never seen that before. Interesting. oh ok a restart
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:25:53 AM

I had to force a restart of the backend pool.
Everyone will have failed over to their backup pool at 03:18 UTC

Pool is back up and working OK, hash rate heading back up to where it was before the restart.
Mine on Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bitmine0

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:28:05 AM

Pool is back up and working OK, hash rate heading back up to where it was before the restart.
Mine on Smiley

What backup pools do people recommend?

I suppose this doesn't make much sense, does it?

stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:3333
stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:443
stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:8080

bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:30:55 AM

Hi All,

I am a beginner miner, and have been mining with x4 S9's for 3 weeks. I started using NiceHash and ViaBTC because of ease of use, me being a noob and all. I really didn't know any better and just wanted to get up and running. After Nicehash fell last week, I turned strictly to ViaBTC for BCH and BTC mining. However, now being into the game a little more, I am starting to question if ViaBTC is really the best place to be mining long-term.

Anyway, I had heard many good things about Kano Pool before I had even gotten my miners, and was thinking of joining here first. However, then I heard about 'ramping-up' and got a little gun-shy to be honest. I still have no idea what this means.

I am seriously considering joining this pool, but would like a little more information to make my decision. I understand that there may be biased responses from active members of the pool, but I would appreciate neutral comparisons to other pools, as well as legitimate reasons as to why Kano Pool is where I should (or should not be) mining.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, as well as thanks for your response(s) in advance. Cheesy

Because of the insane high difficulty by the ever growing total miners you will see a matching low return from your miners.
If you look all over the sales sites for second hand stuff you will find alot of s9 miners being sold.
In my country i see hundreds of ads from people selling the s9 miners for prices that do not even reflect normality.
If people buy those insane high priced miners they will for sure get fooled and end up never get their money back they put into them.
Only the ones who saved many bitcoin in the paste are the ones getting filthy rich.
So do not count becoming a millionair anytime soon.
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:35:04 AM

Mine on Smiley

A backup pool is ofcourse another trusted pool where your miners can jump on when kano's pool is down.
History shows that this does not happen much for long periods.
So seek a good pool as a second one and add that as the reserve one.
I allways have a 3th backup as well, but it happened only once that both the main pools went down in 8 years time
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:36:18 AM

Mine on Smiley

Well you just need one at the bottom of the list pointing somewhere else, for the very rare occasion when this happens.
In reality it's never more than a few minutes outage when I restart the backend - but if you want to have the miner always going even when this happens, then yeah you need another pool at the bottom of the list in your miner web page.

Since it's always quite a short outage, your best bet would be to use a PPS pool as your final failover.
This way you get rewarded for all shares you submit, even if it is lower than you'd expect at a non-PPS pool, and since it is very short, your guaranteed to still be rewarded for that short period of time.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:40:34 AM

Mine on Smiley

Well you just need one at the bottom of the list pointing somewhere else, for the very rare occasion when this happens.
In reality it's never more than a few minutes outage when I restart the backend - but if you want to have the miner always going even when this happens, then yeah you need another pool at the bottom of the list in your miner web page.

Since it's always quite a short outage, your best bet would be to use a PPS pool as your final failover.
This way you get rewarded for all shares you submit, even if it is lower than you'd expect at a non-PPS pool, and since it is very short, your guaranteed to still be rewarded for that short period of time.

I have never mined elsewhere. What would you recommend? My setup looks similar to the above.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 03:41:41 AM

Hi All,

Hello, "ramping up" means how long it takes to reach full payout for blocks.  The length of the period is determined by the current block difficulty and pool hashrate.  Right now I'm pretty sure the period is pretty long --- someone else here can opine on that.

"ramping up" has its upsides and downside.  

The obvious downside is how long it takes to reach full payout.

The upsides are, if you have a power outage, or have to power off your equipment, you'll still get paid if a block is found during that period.  Obviously it won't be full 100%, but it'll be pretty close.

Another upside is, if/when you decide to leave the pool, you "ramp down", such that any blocks found during that period you still get paid for, based on how far through the "ramp down" you are.

Every legit pool has this type of thing, usually implemented in slightly different forms.  The net result is the same, and it's largely to dissuade "pool hoppers" from taking advantage of the pool.  In other words, someone can't join the pool at the tail end end of a 5 day block, for an hour, and get paid the same as someone who's been mining there the full 5 days.

One upside to this pool is that, in the long run, you will probably get paid better.  The flipside is, because it's a small pool, there will be times when payouts are scarce because of variance.  For example, right now it's been almost 5 days since a block was found.

One downside to the pool is you can't configure a payout threshold.  Since transaction fees are high, and it's based on the number of transactions you are paying from, that can be painful and expensive to pay.

One upside is the pool op, Kano, is 100% transparent about what's going on.  To the point that he'll make your eyes glaze over with details about why something is the way it is. Smiley

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 03:46:37 AM

Hi All,

Hello, "ramping up" means how long it takes to reach full payout for blocks.  The length of the period is determined by the current block difficulty and pool hashrate.  Right now I'm pretty sure the period is pretty long --- someone else here can opine on that.

"ramping up" has its upsides and downside.  

The obvious downside is how long it takes to reach full payout.

The upsides are, if you have a power outage, or have to power off your equipment, you'll still get paid if a block is found during that period.  Obviously it won't be full 100%, but it'll be pretty close.

Another upside is, if/when you decide to leave the pool, you "ramp down", such that any blocks found during that period you still get paid for, based on how far through the "ramp down" you are.

Every legit pool has this type of thing, usually implemented in slightly different forms.  The net result is the same, and it's largely to dissuade "pool hoppers" from taking advantage of the pool.  In other words, someone can't join the pool at the tail end end of a 5 day block, for an hour, and get paid the same as someone who's been mining there the full 5 days.

One upside to this pool is that, in the long run, you will probably get paid better.  The flipside is, because it's a small pool, there will be times when payouts are scarce because of variance.  For example, right now it's been almost 5 days since a block was found.

One downside to the pool is you can't configure a payout threshold.  Since transaction fees are high, and it's based on the number of transactions you are paying from, that can be painful and expensive to pay.

One upside is the pool op, Kano, is 100% transparent about what's going on.  To the point that he'll make your eyes glaze over with details about why something is the way it is. Smiley

M

Here, here!

rifleman74

Activity: 658
Merit: 21

4 s9's 2 821's

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 04:31:44 AM

On another note kano, on the invalid screen for workers, I understand what all of the acronyms but the "Hi" I don't know....I only get that on my S7 which isn't perfectly set up.

Anyone else can answer too.  

Stale, Duplidate "Hi" Rejected.
Difficulty has 2 ways to look at it.

The Network Difficulty value increases as it gets harder to find a block.
However, that is to simplify what it really is, and make it easier for people to understand it.

A block hash (498508) looks like this:
0000 0000 0000 0000 001c711eaa8898f83d737d5941a1c13a3bc0822a84906f0e
The required difficulty is 0x1800b0ed = 1,590,896,927,258.1 = 1.59*10^12

Out first ever block (325306) looks like this:
0000 0000 0000 0000 0c061098cb88b86cd48b9e7a6644c4ec26af471dcc779be4
It has fewer zeros, thus it is a larger number
The network difficulty was 0x181f6973 = 3,500,2482,026.1 = 3.50*10^9
A much smaller number, yet the block hash is a larger number.

So what all this means is, if you return a share with a difficulty that isn't good enough, it's actually "High" not "Low"
So under "Invalids" it says "Hi" - these are shares that should not have been sent since they didn't meet the difficulty requirements.
Although their difficulty 'number' was below the difficulty required by the pool, their difficulty value was "High".
e.g. if the pool says to send share with difficulty 8192 but you send lots of shares with difficulty 512, they will of course be rejected, but in the stats, listed under "Hi"

Got it, makes sense.  Thanks kano-san!
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:17:44 AM

Had a quick restart of one of the 2 US stratum nodes at 06:59 UTC.
As long as you have the 2nd pool in your miner pointed to another node, it wont have had any noticeable effect on you.

The node itself suddenly decided to reject all miners trying to connect, but a few second restart cleared up that buggy confusion.
... sounds like windows Smiley

All OK again - mine on!

Vertflyer

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:37:05 AM

New guy here. I really want to join Kano but I’m not too sure about a couple things. Wondering if someone here could help me. First, I have a single antminer S9. The firmware on it seems to work well with antpool, but not work well on slush. Slush requires cgminer and I could not figure out how to update my S9 to cgminer fw. So for now I’m on antpool because it clearly shows me that everything is working.

I joined Kano for about 20 min earlier tonight and I didn’t know what to look for to make sure everything was working correctly. My anminer showed a rejected count at one point. So can someone first tell me if my S9 with default firmware from bitmain will work on Kano? And then what do I look for to make sure my miner is contributing properly once I mine to Kano? Is it worth mining to Kano with a single S9?

Thanks in advance!
bussumseheide

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 10:16:10 AM

New guy here. I really want to join Kano but I’m not too sure about a couple things. Wondering if someone here could help me. First, I have a single antminer S9. The firmware on it seems to work well with antpool, but not work well on slush. Slush requires cgminer and I could not figure out how to update my S9 to cgminer fw. So for now I’m on antpool because it clearly shows me that everything is working.

I joined Kano for about 20 min earlier tonight and I didn’t know what to look for to make sure everything was working correctly. My anminer showed a rejected count at one point. So can someone first tell me if my S9 with default firmware from bitmain will work on Kano? And then what do I look for to make sure my miner is contributing properly once I mine to Kano? Is it worth mining to Kano with a single S9?

Thanks in advance!

S9 firmware is fine, you can join any pool with sha256 algorithm without firmware update.
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 10:52:42 AM

Thanks in advance!
Just look at the Workers->Workers page when you first start mining.
It updates immediately whenever you send a share.
You can see the share count going up, ignore the hash rate on the right when you first start until you've mined for at least 10 minutes, but look at the "Share Rate" to see if those shares are counting.

kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 10:57:36 AM

Been having more network problems on and off with the Silicon Valley half of stratum.kano.is
As long as your 2nd pool listed on your miner is some other node (e.g. nya.kano.is) your mining should be unaffected.
The network issues are very random so you may not be affected by them, but if you do failover, that's why.

aideed

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:04:52 AM

Been having more network problems on and off with the Silicon Valley half of stratum.kano.is
As long as your 2nd pool listed on your miner is some other node (e.g. nya.kano.is) your mining should be unaffected.
The network issues are very random so you may not be affected by them, but if you do failover, that's why.

kano, may i make a humble suggestion of adding all the nodes to the first post so others have a chance to add them appropriately?
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:21:39 AM

kano, may i make a humble suggestion of adding all the nodes to the first post so others have a chance to add them appropriately?
They're not listed due to my dislike of how the node code is implemented in ckpool - it's built upon the fallacy that the internet is perfect, which of course is stupid to assume that.

I started work on the distributed KanoDB code at the start of the year, which replaces the current node setup, spent about 5 months, on and off, working on it and got it to the stage where all the major rewriting is done (about 20% of the code had to be rewritten) and that's already running live, but the actual distribution of the data isn't done yet and the testing of the new block based shifts isn't done so that part of the code isn't activated yet.

Alas, other more critical changes have come up and pushed completing that down in the TODO list:
i.e. the full share checking/block submission code in the DB that's completed and live, and the accounting/payout changes I'm working on.
Once that's complete, I'll get back to doing the distribution code, and then my annoyance with the dodgy node code will no longer be an issue since the nodes will be a sub-pools and not need the node code for mining, any mode.

... THEN I'll list them all in on the web site and in the first post etc.
For now, they are actually listed in the thread title, but indirectly Smiley

aideed

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

They're not listed due to my dislike of how the node code is implemented in ckpool - it's built upon the fallacy that the internet is perfect, which of course is stupid to assume that.

I started work on the distributed KanoDB code at the start of the year, which replaces the current node setup, spent about 5 months, on and off, working on it and got it to the stage where all the major rewriting is done (about 20% of the code had to be rewritten) and that's already running live, but the actual distribution of the data isn't done yet and the testing of the new block based shifts isn't done so that part of the code isn't activated yet.

Alas, other more critical changes have come up and pushed completing that down in the TODO list:
i.e. the full share checking/block submission code in the DB that's completed and live, and the accounting/payout changes I'm working on.
Once that's complete, I'll get back to doing the distribution code, and then my annoyance with the dodgy node code will no longer be an issue since the nodes will be a sub-pools and not need the node code for mining, any mode.

... THEN I'll list them all in on the web site and in the first post etc.
For now, they are actually listed in the thread title, but indirectly Smiley

Grin

okay!
Vertflyer

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:32:20 AM

Thanks in advance!
Just look at the Workers->Workers page when you first start mining.
It updates immediately whenever you send a share.
You can see the share count going up, ignore the hash rate on the right when you first start until you've mined for at least 10 minutes, but look at the "Share Rate" to see if those shares are counting.

Thanks! I’ll switch over. Can you tell me what a normal share rate range is for a single S9?
Pages: « 1 ... 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: